Quench not The Spirit!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Precious friends, please be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
God's Word Of Truth!:

“We need to take charge of our spiritual lives. We quench the Spirit when we
allow no time for God because of a busy lifestyle. We should not find time but,
with Job’s heart, prioritize time for God to speak to us by His Word, that

‘I have esteemed the words of His mouth more than my necessary food’ (Job 23:12).

We do so, not as a legalistic discipline, but because we know the Lord only wants
what is best for us and that He cares deeply about our attitudes, character, and
the direction of our lives. We do so because the Lord wants us to know Him, and
knowing Him is something in which to glory (Jer. 9:23-24)…

...’Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit...’ (Eph. 6:18). The
strength of the Christian life is dependence on God. Prayer is about expressed
dependence. There is never a moment in the life of a believer when we don’t
need the Lord….

...Scripture challenges us to pray always and to pray in everything (Phil. 4:6;
Psa. 62:8). We ‘quench not the Spirit’ when we faithfully take everything directly
to the Lord in prayer, and we rely on His power and wisdom.

Paul prayed for the Ephesians that God would grant them ‘to be strengthened
with might by His Spirit in the inner man’ (Eph. 3:16). God is our strength (Psa. 18:2).
The way we are strengthened by the Spirit in the inner man is by nearness to God...

...May we ‘quench not the Spirit’ by submitting our hearts to God, opening, trusting,
and rightly dividing the Word, making time for God, and praying faithfully, so that
we allow the Spirit’s fire to give us a zeal for the things of God, lead us into greater
holiness, and conform us to the image of Christ.” (K Sadler)

Full study here: Quench Not The Spirit!

GRACE And Peace

1652543796555.png

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Just some actual context for quenching the spirit

“Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:14-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it’s about not continuing in evil because as we don hat it quiets the voice of the spirit in us and Sears our conscience with hot iron leaving us unable to hear the word which quenches the spirit

try not quenching this

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you that believe not.
‭‭John‬ ‭6:63-64‬ ‭KJV‬

that spirit will always speak so we can hear the truth from God

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭

“Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Gods Grace is found there when we don’t have to ignore the spirit word of Christ

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
It is interesting that the word quench is used becaused for me personally i feel dry when i stay away from him for to long not quenched

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
It is interesting that the word quench is used becaused for me personally i feel dry when i stay away from him for to long not quenched
The quenching is speaking to the fire aspect of the spirit.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Ah i see that makes more sense then thank you for the clarification
Water quenches a thirst (such as also God's Word quenches a thirst for Him) so I understand where you were coming from.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Water quenches a thirst (such as also God's Word quenches a thirst for Him) so I understand where you were coming from.
I actually was interested that you mentioned the fire aspect of him as he has always felt like wind and fire to me when i feel him come alive in me or when he takes over and there isn't a whole lot of scripture that speaks on this aspect of him but there it is there and i had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it

Chester

May 23, 2016
Just some actual context for quenching the spirit

“Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:14-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬
I think the phrase immediately after "quench not the Spirit" helps identify a major way the Spirit's fire is put out. When others are speaking about God (prophesying) and we grumble or rebel about their words, then that is quenching the Spirit. Or when the Spirit tells us to speak for Jesus (prophesy) and we refuse, we have just quenched the Spirit.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
There's so many ways to quench the Spirit, in others, as well as ourselves.
Causing arguments in this forum, for instance.
A parent who won't take out their screaming, misbehaving child during the sermon or altar call.
The parable of the sower tells 2 ways to quench the Spirit in our own lives: 1. no depth of maturity. 2. Allowing the worries & cares of this life to choke the word.
Unfruitfulness
Televangelists quench the Spirit when they brag of their "ministry", their wealth, or teach false doctrine. Their arrogance & pride will too.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I Thessalonians 5

19 Quench not the Spirit.
20 Despise not prophesyings.
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Reading this, we should consider that it may be possible to quench the Spirit by reacting wrongly to a prophetic word. For example, Paul passes on commandments of the Lord for church meetings, including 'Let the prophets speak two or three.... ' If a congregation despises the gift of prophecy, considers all prophesyings to be false, and rejects them out of hand, we should consider that that congregation might quench the Spirit. Individuals should also follow Paul's instruction when it comes to prophesyings, along with proving all things.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I think the phrase immediately after "quench not the Spirit" helps identify a major way the Spirit's fire is put out. When others are speaking about God (prophesying) and we grumble or rebel about their words, then that is quenching the Spirit. Or when the Spirit tells us to speak for Jesus (prophesy) and we refuse, we have just quenched the Spirit.
yeah I think looking at it as one statement says if we keep serving the devils will rather than Gods we’re going to quiet and stifle the work God is doing in us to change our hearts and minds and bring us to righteousness

we receive the spirit because God is working in us to change our desires and will change how we live he’s doing this

“Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Do all things without complaint : that ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:12-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the reason we receive the spirit is to change our Will and actions . If we keep serving the evil in the world and resisting the work he’s doing in us to change us we’re quenching or quieting or resisting the spirits work in us to bring our Will to Gods Will , and our deeds to Gods pleasure

God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

if we resist this on and on the spirits fire is quenched and the fire of sin is stoked if we acknowledge the truth of scripture and start taking it seriously what he’s saying for us to Will and do it’s going to stoke the fire of the spirit and quench the fire of sin that burns in every man until Gods spirit changes our Will and ways from satans to his

all we have to do is cooperate with the lord and let his word refine our lives circumcise our flawed hearts and mknds and lead us onto eternal Life

Christians who serve sin continually and don’t repent and start looking towards Gods ways and grasping them we’re putting cold water on the fire meant to burn away the chaff in us

if we live for sin it’s going to quench the spirit if we turn to the gospel it’s going to quench sin and change our minds hearts and lives bringing us to salvation and life

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
19Do not quench the Spirit. 20Do not treat prophecies with contempt

This means do not treat prophecies in the church with contempt. If a brother steps out in faith to prophesy, do not quench it by shutting him down and saying we don't do that here.

It's odd how people will take this and write a whole book about something it is not saying. Quench not the Spirit in this context is about not allowing the Gifts of the Spirit like prophesy to edify people because you despise them as being fake, or you are embarrassed by them, or want to control what goes on and what is said in the meetings.