Questions about Psychology

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
My brain was chemically unbalanced and my heart was without God at the time I was distressed and depressed. Things were falling apart in every aspect of my life and I could not take it anymore. On top of that add pre-menopausal hormonal changes and I was a mess.

In the past women have lost their mind going through menopause because it is what happened to my Dad's mother and she was institutionalized....Lucky for me they had a drug to help my chemical lack of serotonin in my brain.... Once that was balanced out and with therapy being taught ways to learn to cope with my chaotic life I was able to think clearer and get back and seek God. In case you hadn't noticed life is tough at times.

Probably if I had been walking with Jesus my life would have been peachy keen, but not all of us come from Godly families where Jesus is the center and have to find Him the hard way.
 
You renew your mind through the Word of God....

The average Pharisees read (and "knew") more Scripture than probably all of us put together. What did that do for them when they still didn't understand how to live it?
 
The average Pharisees read (and "knew") more Scripture than probably all of us put together. What did that do for them when they still didn't understand how to live it?

Dude that a New Testament scripture..based on the New Covenant ...not the law of Moses
 
I think the secular field of psychology is an imitation of Jesus' ministry in some ways...they sure do claim to have "just discovered something about the human mind" that Jesus touched on in some way. ...lol. There are many lessons in His time here concerning how we are to care for ourselves and be and stay connected with others at the same time. Life is an interesting dance because we have all fallen so far.

"People are complicated, not because they are disordered, but because life is hard andpainful." (M. Parloff)


“The cause of considerable self-induced misery for Christians is not being able to applydoctrinal principles to experiences in daily life.” - R.B. Thieme, Jr.
 
Actually, our "job" is the same as Jesus'... to love people. Much of this is done through listening, not just "telling" them, what's what.

No love brother without the truth...the world calls lots of things love ..based often on lies
 
But your a believer Willie. Your going to have spiritual problem solving devices for your clients. The world and their psychology is ALWAYS wrong. They have human view point . If one has been influenced by divine view point at some point in time they "might" offer a solution. But Dr Phil has not a clue.

God has his problem solving devices in His word.

The world does not have His problem solving devices.

If you only knew. For decades, because I facilitated, mainly, court-mandated therapy sessions, I was not allowed to legally "breathe" a word of religion to my guys. Those guys actually heard more "Christ" in my "casual talking" than many pew-sitters do in years of sitting listening to some preachers...... though what the pew-warmers hear are hundreds of "thee's" and "thou's", and every fifth word ends with an "...eth."

You don't have to cite chapter and verse numbers to speak God's truth.
 
Has one drug addict ever been delivered by psychology? Has one sick person ever been healed?
My mom underwent a session of hypnotherapy to quit smoking, and it worked. She hasn't touched a cigarette in years after only one session. Does that count?

350x700px-LL-1809c183_DarthVader.jpeg
 
What has Psychology ever cured...what good has it even done?
Has one drug addict ever been delivered by psychology? Has one sick person ever been healed?

God can use psychology. I have a friend who became a Christian, because God used a psychiatrist to reach him.....He was truly on a horrible path, but God used this "voodoo nonsense" to reach him......
 

If you only knew. For decades, because I facilitated, mainly, court-mandated therapy sessions, I was not allowed to legally "breathe" a word of religion to my guys. Those guys actually heard more "Christ" in my "casual talking" than many pew-sitters do in years of sitting listening to some preachers...... though what the pew-warmers hear are hundreds of "thee's" and "thou's", and every fifth word ends with an "...eth."

You don't have to cite chapter and verse numbers to speak God's truth.

I have long held that if you lack the depth of understanding of God's word that enables you to read it, and take it inside you.... then speak it back out to others in plain, simple language............. then maybe you never really understood it in the first place.
 

If you only knew. For decades, because I facilitated, mainly, court-mandated therapy sessions, I was not allowed to legally "breathe" a word of religion to my guys. Those guys actually heard more "Christ" in my "casual talking" than many pew-sitters do in years of sitting listening to some preachers...... though what the pew-warmers hear are hundreds of "thee's" and "thou's", and every fifth word ends with an "...eth."

You don't have to cite chapter and verse numbers to speak God's truth.

Exactly. the world doesn't want the true solution. It wants to try to do it WITHOUT Christ and the TRUE solutions. They are not going to get it done.

Thank the Lord we still live in a society that the truth can come out in "casual" conversation.....I am afraid that even that is going to pass away soon.
 
Exactly. the world doesn't want the true solution. It wants to try to do it WITHOUT Christ and the TRUE solutions. They are not going to get it done.

Thank the Lord we still live in a society that the truth can come out in "casual" conversation.....I am afraid that even that is going to pass away soon.

Nah. It's new every morning. We just have to be wise enough to know how to present it so people will hear it, as Paul did in Athens.
 
There are certain aspects that I don't necessarily agree with in regards to some methods, but I don't push them on anyone because I choose to show love as the bible instructs us to and it's not right for me to pass judgment on another person. Instead I pray for them.
I have a few questions though and please think it through before responding. Didn't God give us the knowledge we have? What about doctors, did he give them knowledge to treat illnesses? God gave scientists knowledge to develop prescriptions like penicillin that cures infection. So does God give psychologists that same knowledge? I believe so, but God does give us discernment and before you agree to anything pray and do your homework: both research and dig into the word.
 
I have long held that if you lack the depth of understanding of God's word that enables you to read it, and take it inside you.... then speak it back out to others in plain, simple language............. then maybe you never really understood it in the first place.
So you need psyco babble to do that? what point do you think your making willie... Your abilities to pass on biblical wisdom in plain speech is something your seem very proud of...im getting the proud part but not the biblical wisdom part of your point?
 
My mom underwent a session of hypnotherapy to quit smoking, and it worked. She hasn't touched a cigarette in years after only one session. Does that count?

350x700px-LL-1809c183_DarthVader.jpeg

no faith in psychology ....sorry ...glad for your mom...maybe she just needed someone to encourage her?
 
So you need psyco babble to do that? what point do you think your making willie... Your abilities to pass on biblical wisdom in plain speech is something your seem very proud of...im getting the proud part but not the biblical wisdom part of your point?

The wisdom part is that my desire is to help people understand Christ's message.... not to just be content to say, "Well, I TOLD 'em... not my fault if I chased them off."
 
The wisdom part is that my desire is to help people understand Christ's message.... not to just be content to say, "Well, I TOLD 'em... not my fault if I chased them off."

Wisdom, that's the word I was thinking of. Thanks:)
 
I know many Vets ..im a decorated Vet myself and the treatment for PTSD is just to dope them up and tell them they are screwed up forever... Jesus says to renew the mind with His Word and that same word tells us not to fall for the philosophy of this world ... so

You don't tell someone coming back from war to "stop feeling on edge" whenever he (or she) hears a noise. You don't tell a rape victim to "just get over it." And no, not everything is just "Hey, here are some pills to help you get over it." First of all, that's not even how it works. And second, psychologists aren't the ones to prescribe medication. That would be psychiatrists.