Questions about Psychology

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
There are certain aspects that I don't necessarily agree with in regards to some methods, but I don't push them on anyone because I choose to show love as the bible instructs us to and it's not right for me to pass judgment on another person. Instead I pray for them.
I have a few questions though and please think it through before responding. Didn't God give us the knowledge we have? What about doctors, did he give them knowledge to treat illnesses? God gave scientists knowledge to develop prescriptions like penicillin that cures infection. So does God give psychologists that same knowledge? I believe so, but God does give us discernment and before you agree to anything pray and do your homework: both research and dig into the word.

Funny you said penicillin... I'm actually allergic to it, and the whole penicillin family :/ But I agree with 100 percent of your statement. Those that are calling psychology "mumbo jumbo" and such are basically saying there are no needs for doctors and nurses. You're pregnant? You don't need to go to the hospital to deliver the baby. You have questions about your health? Nah. You don't need to see what's wrong.
 
Funny you said penicillin... I'm actually allergic to it, and the whole penicillin family :/ But I agree with 100 percent of your statement. Those that are calling psychology "mumbo jumbo" and such are basically saying there are no needs for doctors and nurses. You're pregnant? You don't need to go to the hospital to deliver the baby. You have questions about your health? Nah. You don't need to see what's wrong.

Big difference between real science and medicine and this sort of stuff that in large part is almost never really helpful.
 
You don't tell someone coming back from war to "stop feeling on edge" whenever he (or she) hears a noise. You don't tell a rape victim to "just get over it." And no, not everything is just "Hey, here are some pills to help you get over it." First of all, that's not even how it works. And second, psychologists aren't the ones to prescribe medication. That would be psychiatrists.

That's what they do ..dope them up and give them some mumbo jumbo about how they will always be messed up in the head...its so silly and helps none of these folks
 
Thanks. I'm glad too. :)


In any case, the testimony stands, you know?
real testimonies are of Christ.... which we know are true testimonies...lots of folks claim lots of things and believe things help them ..placebos work about 20 % of the time in many cases.... Im glad for your mom..but If this stuff really worked ...we would know it.
 
This is very interesting (have to read through all posts here to actually understand what's going on). My own view of psychology is very very limited. All I know is that it's very very subjective. That doesn't really amount to anything lel. But still. I do find a lot of things from psychology that can't co-exist with the bible lol. Like how Psychology *radical statemtsn upcoming, please don't shoot flaming arrows* puts the blame on circumstances and other people and not the subject. I mean, like, speaking in worldly terms, I can't justify a criminal, say a rapist for committing rape because he was once sexually abused as well. I do find the study of the mind and how it works fascinating. *continues to read the rest of the thread*
 
That's what they do ..dope them up and give them some mumbo jumbo about how they will always be messed up in the head...its so silly and helps none of these folks

But you are assuming ALL psychologists dope people up. Not all of them do, you know. The patient chooses to fill that prescription and I recommend praying about any treatment they suggest. They also need to stand firm and stand up for their health.
 
But you are assuming ALL psychologists dope people up. Not all of them do, you know. The patient chooses to fill that prescription and I recommend praying about any treatment they suggest. They also need to stand firm and stand up for their health.

I have been in the VA system and they tried to diagnose me with PTSD and the dope... was not a believer att. but even then I knew it was not right...took the pills for a couple days and then stopped
 
I have been in the VA system and they tried to diagnose me with PTSD and the dope... was not a believer att. but even then I knew it was not right...

Thank you for your service to our country and I'm sorry you had to go through that. However, just because you had that experience does not mean that all psychologists are that way though. That's what I am trying to say. Yes there are some that will try to get you on all the drugs, but please don't categorize all of the good ones in the same category as the others.
 
Thank you for your service to our country and I'm sorry you had to go through that. However, just because you had that experience does not mean that all psychologists are that way though. That's what I am trying to say. Yes there are some that will try to get you on all the drugs, but please don't categorize all of the good ones in the same category as the others.

I do think I based much of my opinion on this issue on my experience at the VA.... and I do find much of it contradicts the bible.
 
That's what they do ..dope them up and give them some mumbo jumbo about how they will always be messed up in the head...its so silly and helps none of these folks

This comment shows you really do not know what you are talking about. Therapists and psychologists are not licensed to prescribe medications. There is no way they are able to. That is why there is a completely different field called psychiatry. So if you're going to make these sorts of comments, then of course you will think a subject like this is "mumbo jumbo."
 
This comment shows you really do not know what you are talking about. Therapists and psychologists are not licensed to prescribe medications. There is no way they are able to. That is why there is a completely different field called psychiatry. So if you're going to make these sorts of comments, then of course you will think a subject like this is "mumbo jumbo."

Its all the same bag of tricks ... it always ends up with someone taking a pill to find well-being.
 
I do think I based much of my opinion on this issue on my experience at the VA.... and I do find much of it contradicts the bible.

You are not alone, I think we all base our opinions of certain issues or people on what we have went personally went through. May God's love surround you, Mitspa :)
 
There are circumstances that can truly distort a person's thoughts and emotions. Reactive attachment disorder is one such: the child learns at a very early age that they cannot trust their caregiver to meet needs. This can cause difficulties for the child for the rest of his/her life--makes it difficult, or nearly impossible, to form healthy bonds with other people. This kind of thing isn't treated with drugs (or should not be), but with therapy, if the therapist is willing to put in the time and effort. I have an adopted aunt who has RAD who adopted a child from Russia who also has RAD. Being family to them takes effort and understanding, but they are both better for the help that they've received and are able to lead somewhat normal lives.

To answer a previous poster, there is a major difficulty with finding real physical evidence regarding the chemical imbalances in the brain that contribute to depression, bipolar d/t, schizophrenia and others--you can't slice into someone's living brain to watch the firing of the nerves, and once the brain is dead (autopsy time), the nerves are not producing their chemicals. I've personally seen psych meds make living possible for many people. Sometimes, it's a single depressive episode and the medication helps normalize the patient long enough for emotional healing to occur and the person moves on and never needs it again. Sometimes it's a long-term affair that again allows the person to lead a more balanced life. It can be over done, meds are often used instead of therapy because a lot of people want a quick fix rather than the hard work of learning to change their thought patterns and emotional responses, which is what a good therapist will teach a person to do.

It's easy to say "give up your anxiety to God. He'll fix it," without going through the long, sometimes emotionally messy process of helping them learn how to give it to God. There are things that take longer to "get over," such as a young girl being used as payment for her mother's meth, or a child being tied to a chair until he soiled himself and being force-fed the waste. "Don't worry; dwell on the positives not the negatives" is a useless platitude to the 10-year-old girl who's afraid she might be pregnant by her daddy who goes to her pastor for help and is raped by the pastor. Sometimes it takes more to help people with backgrounds like these to be healthy and sane than simply telling them to "read your Bible and pray more." They learn how to think and feel in a way that allows them to survive the abuse, and when they get out of the situation, their thought processes are broken beyond what a lot of people are willing to help with, or have any idea of where to even start. A good therapist will be able to help this person see how their coping mechanisms were situation specific and are destructive to a healthy life and can help them unravel their tangled thoughts and emotions. My dad is a therapist of this kind. He has lead many of his counselees to Christ through his counseling, as only Christ can fully heal a person's mind/emotions. God does use people for this though, as He uses doctors to perform surgeries, set broken bones or give chemo.
 
I do think I based much of my opinion on this issue on my experience at the VA.... and I do find much of it contradicts the bible.

Can you specifically state something that you learned in secular counseling that is unscriptural?
 
real testimonies are of Christ.... which we know are true testimonies...
Testimony is just a word, one you might be over spiritualizing.

lots of folks claim lots of things and believe things help them
No arguments there, brother!

..placebos work about 20 % of the time in many cases.... Im glad for your mom..but If this stuff really worked ...we would know it.
Who's "we?" Lol...

All I can offer you on this one is that her results are evident. I wish that meant something to you.
 
This from someone who quotes Ellen G White in almost every post, this is pretty rich!



Yes I do quote her..but you have yet to find anything wrong what what is quoted...u just simply complain...so how are u helping those who are searching for Christ? Speak up if you really have something worthwhile that is helping people. ...What have you read that is wrong that does not agree with the Bible?
 
You know what? I actually have to apologize to the OP. I don't frequent this forum because this is what it does to people - like clockwork, even.

So WhiteStone, I'm sorry I got a little caught up here. I hope you find some answers and some peace.
 
Last edited:
So you agree that taking biblical principles and applying them....for example "renewing your mind"..thru prayer, meditation, exercise, diet...etc is.....garbage? These are in reality...biblicall principles passed off as new discoveries that Jesus exhibited and taught on. Just like everything else in this world....the modern field of psychology is an attempt at doing it better without God.




Nope its not what I said..I said that the practice is voodoo and most can't agree on their methods of how to better the mentally ill. When you read in the Bible about the mentally ill, it was considered demon possession. Did Jesus give medication or did He call upon the Father to deliver the demoniacs. How often to the medical society fast and pray for their patients. How many of them believe in God vs believing in Fraud and Darwin? The educational system is plagued with evolution. Those who seek and get jobs have to make a decision if they are going to serve God or man in their field of work. God ask all of us, will a man sell his soul for a morsel of bread?
 
Nope its not what I said..I said that the practice is voodoo and most can't agree on their methods of how to better the mentally ill. When you read in the Bible about the mentally ill, it was considered demon possession. Did Jesus give medication or did He call upon the Father to deliver the demoniacs. How often to the medical society fast and pray for their patients. How many of them believe in God vs believing in Fraud and Darwin? The educational system is plagued with evolution. Those who seek and get jobs have to make a decision if they are going to serve God or man in their field of work. God ask all of us, will a man sell his soul for a morsel of bread?

Just because you don't know about Christ centered counseling doesn't mean it ain't there.