I've been a born again Christian since I was 20 years old so... roughly 13 years.
I do speak to God but God doesn't speak back to me, and that's Ok, even though I wish he would say something back, but I do believe he listens to my prayers, I've gotten what I have asked for before.
Just lately I've been fighting to not change into a different person who is completely jaded.
I'm truly sorry for what you're going through, Jacob.
I listen to a lot of social commentary channels, including Shoe On Head (from the video you posted,) and other by young men (Real Life Fake Wizard, Casey Simpson.) who talk about the bleak outlook for young people, particularly men, in today's world. I especially like Casey Simpson because I think he really tries to be fair to both genders in his commentary.
My best friend's college-age son called me last week because he feels a lot of the discouragement that you're expressing here. And he's doing all the right things that society tells him to do.
I was praying on the phone for something uplifting to tell him. I'm "middle-aged" and couldn't come close to buying a house in my area (the median house price is half a million dollars, unless you want a homeless shanty on your front lawn) -- I can't imagine what the kind of pressure must feel like for 20 and 30-somethings.
All I could think of to tell him was the story of when Jacob (the father of the 12 tribes of Israel) worked for his uncle Laban -- who was constantly changing his wages (in the form of which markings the sheep had to be born with as his payment.) But every time Laban changed the conditions, the sheep had lambs that had the marking agreed to be Jacob's wages. God made sure Jacob was paid, no matter how unfair Laban tried to be.
We also talked about how, during the 10 Plagues on Egypt, there were some God chose to save His people from. The Egyptians suffered from a great darkness for 3 days that was so severe, no one could go anywhere -- but the Israelites had light in all of their camps.
As a modern-day example, I had a friend who worked at a factory that made cars. The company went through a wave of massive layoffs, where other line in the factory was shut down -- except his. God kept him employed and paid, despite the chaos around him.
Just today, Cinder reminded me that we have a God who rained down food (manna) to provide for His people in the desert -- but also noted that it during an extreme hardship.
I truly wish I could say something to automatically make it better. As I'd said before, I felt the way you're talking about for many years.
Even I can't really say what changed, I just know it was God. But it was agonizing, and it was very slow, day by day, hour by hour, and all I knew was to keep praying, and reading my Bible.
I'm very happy to hear that you have experienced God answering your prayers.
He won't always answer the way we think or want, but you'll have many people here who have read your plight that will be praying with you and for you.
May God bless you and comfort you in your trials.
