Raising of hands in the church

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
Is this a Biblical practice? Why do we do it? What are the origins of it? Within this, I'm also interested in the origins of various other kinds of worship "practices" we do in the church such as clapping of hands, etc.

Thought I'd share a story here, from my childhood. When I was a youngster (about 10 or 11), I was in the kids ministry one Sunday. Me not being the most outspoken or demonstrative person would tend to stand but not move about much or dance during worship as many of the other kids were doing. One day, I was pulled out of church and disciplined and threatened for my perceived "lack of reverence" for God. It took me many years before I felt comfortable even raising hands to God in church again, as this incident affected me deeply.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would respond with some biblical examples, but instead I'll encourage you to do your own homework. Go to BibleGateway.com (or find a good old-fashioned concordance) and do a few word searches.

Your childhood experience was unfortunate, and the person's actions were certainly inappropriate. I'd encourage you to revisit that incident prayerfully, forgive those involved, and ask the Lord to heal that hurt.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Is this a Biblical practice? Why do we do it? What are the origins of it? Within this, I'm also interested in the origins of various other kinds of worship "practices" we do in the church such as clapping of hands, etc.

A few, of many, examples I found in scripture:

Lamentations 3:41 Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens.

Ezra 9:5 And at the evening sacrifice I arose up from my heaviness; and having rent my garment and my mantle, I fell upon my knees, and spread out my hands unto the LORD my God

1 Kings 8:22 And Solomon stood before the altar of the LORD in the presence of all the congregation of Israel, and spread forth his hands toward heaven:

Psalms
28:2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle

63:4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD.

1 Timothy 2:8
I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Is this a Biblical practice? Why do we do it? What are the origins of it? Within this, I'm also interested in the origins of various other kinds of worship "practices" we do in the church such as clapping of hands, etc./QUOTE]

Hello again ToastAndTea,

I could only find one verse that spoke directly to clap or claping

Pslams 47:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

A Bible search on the word praise yielded 248 mentions. Worship 108 mentions

A few verses I read while looking, I felt lead to share with you.

Chronicles 5:13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;

Psalms 149:
1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.
2 Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018

Thought I'd share a story here, from my childhood. When I was a youngster (about 10 or 11), I was in the kids ministry one Sunday. Me not being the most outspoken or demonstrative person would tend to stand but not move about much or dance during worship as many of the other kids were doing. One day, I was pulled out of church and disciplined and threatened for my perceived "lack of reverence" for God. It took me many years before I felt comfortable even raising hands to God in church again, as this incident affected me deeply.
Psalm 63:4

Also in one of the battles in the OT i think it was Moses had to keep his hands raised to win the battle. His hands got tired and they were losing but aaron helped him keep them raised as long as they were raised the israelites would win. See exodus 17

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Clapping hands...see isaiah 55:12

Origninally people carried giant palm fronds in worship and waved them. Some churches still do this on palm sunday. I suppose if you dont have a palm tree frond to wave you just use your hands instead.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018

When we sing and dance we are quite literally worshipping God. If you think about heaven there is singing and dancing. Even thoough you may not enjoy it now you will feel differently then.

Some people are not really into music. when I sing I literally feel God's presence within. You may feel that studying or through something else. That's completely fine. Though I still stand by you will enjoy it in heaven. Lol

We have a group of boys in front of me at church around that age. I think they behave really well, although I have seen them goofing off and mocking people clapping and raising their hands...just joking around and being kids. I would tell my son to knock it off if it were him. Otherwise I don't find it an issue. That person didn't have the right to say that to you. Too bad you can't go back. Could have said, why were you looking at me and not worshipping God?! That would have went over well. Lol

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
To raise the hands is a symbolic gesture of worship, worship of the Maker of all that is. Yes it is Biblical.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. I believe joyous hand clapping fits here along with shouts of praise..

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

Raise the hands in the air for to pray ore worship is biblical.
Here in germany this are signs of pentecostal ore charismatic people. Sometimes they raise only one hand and put the other hand into the pocket.
Well its a way to pray to pray to god, like kneeing ore laying on the face ore keeping the hands together.
The Lord sees our heart and can distinguish if our prayer is serious ore not.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
In Exodus 17v8-15, we see that when Moses's hands dropped through tiredness that Amalek prevailed, but when Hur and Aaron supported them, Israel prevailed and defeated Amalek. He built an alter there and called it Yahweh-Nissi (The Lord Is My Banner). By raising his hands it directed divine power against the powers of darkness behind Amalek, thus de-energising them, thus removing Amalek's power to fight, the raised hands of Moses also energised divine power into Israel's army strengthening and blessing them, thus giving Israel victory.

The same kind of thought is in 1Tim 2v1-8, the raised hands of Christians in praying for those in authority de-energises the powers of darkness behind the worldly rulers so that their rule produces peace in a society. Eph 6v10-20

It is also an act of worship to the Lord, but there is also during worship divine power released into the heavenlies against the powers of darkness to shut them down. Psalm 134v2, 141v2 (and so forth).

So, raise your hands!

M

Miri

When God is present, you can’t help yourself, you want to reach out for Him.
Some do it with their heart, others do it with their body.
Either is acceptable.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When Moses held up his rod Israel would prevail. His arms b ecame fatigued and he was helped to hold up his rod until Irael won the battle.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Little kids when they want to be picked up by their parents will raise their hands up to indicate to their parents that they want to be picked up..

This is where i believe we can find the genesis of the raising of hands in church.. People want to be lifted up to be with their Father in heaven..

Question is do people do it in church because it comes from an inbuilt desire? or are they doing it because everyone else is doing it and it seems to be a cool thing to do to fit into and be accepted by the crowd?

I know that God knows the answer to that.. So i don't have to pass judgement on the issue..

I am like you.. I am a reserved person not given over to displays like jumping up and down, raising hands, and whooping and moaning.. If i was to do that then i would be faking and being dishonest before God.. I love God and believe Him but i am just not a physically expressive person.. I know that God knows me to the core.. God knows who really believes and trusts in Him.. No physical religious performances are needed when God knows us more then we know ourselves..

Mar 28, 2016

It is another of the many traditions that came about showing that someone desired to try and create another what some would call "sign gift" to edify oneself. It fits into the tongues and falling backward as slain in the spirit division. The tongues sign and the falling backward are shown in the Bible as sign that those will not hear prophecy, but add their own traditions making the true tradition without effect .Can't serve opposing traditions.

Some clearly show themselves for what they are . The waving of hands tradition .I am not sure when it began . But from a outsider it looks like someone is putting their hands in the air as some sort of spirit wave detectors looking to connect . Again not sure of the original or purpose,

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
Little kids when they want to be picked up by their parents will raise their hands up to indicate to their parents that they want to be picked up..

This is where i believe we can find the genesis of the raising of hands in church.. People want to be lifted up to be with their Father in heaven..

Question is do people do it in church because it comes from an inbuilt desire? or are they doing it because everyone else is doing it and it seems to be a cool thing to do to fit into and be accepted by the crowd?

I know that God knows the answer to that.. So i don't have to pass judgement on the issue..

I am like you.. I am a reserved person not given over to displays like jumping up and down, raising hands, and whooping and moaning.. If i was to do that then i would be faking and being dishonest before God.. I love God and believe Him but i am just not a physically expressive person.. I know that God knows me to the core.. God knows who really believes and trusts in Him.. No physical religious performances are needed when God knows us more then we know ourselves..

I am also a fairly reserved person and feel fake in jumping up and down and raising my hands etc. It doesn't mean that I love or worship God any less than someone who does. What irritates me though is when others who do this look down on me for not joining in. I had someone ask me why I wasn't singing the other day during worship. Well I happened to be praying at the time, a silent prayer between me and God and it was impossible to do both at the same time.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I am also a fairly reserved person and feel fake in jumping up and down and raising my hands etc. It doesn't mean that I love or worship God any less than someone who does. What irritates me though is when others who do this look down on me for not joining in. I had someone ask me why I wasn't singing the other day during worship. Well I happened to be praying at the time, a silent prayer between me and God and it was impossible to do both at the same time.
Yes i hasten to agree and clarity that i do not look upon people who are emotional and physically expressive as being fakes putting on a show.. Some people are just wired to be like that and if it flows naturally from a genuine heart i have no problem with people jumping somersaults down the church isle..

I know that God knows who is genuine and who is not..

It is good that we are confident within ourselves when we know we are being genuine before the LORD and not allow the negative judgement of others affect us.. In the end our relationship is between us and the LORD and the LORD has all types of adopted Children in His eternal family.. :)

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
We do not do any of this in our worship services (which we call meetings).
Nor are we entertained by a band on the stage.
We sing our own songs and hymns with hand clapping being the most we ever do with music.
Praise and worship music is not the gospel and when I see worshippers with their hands raised up and dancing to music I
see the influence of other religions where this is done - like in some Hindu temples.

Mar 28, 2016
We do not do any of this in our worship services (which we call meetings).
Nor are we entertained by a band on the stage.
We sing our own songs and hymns with hand clapping being the most we ever do with music.
Praise and worship music is not the gospel and when I see worshippers with their hands raised up and dancing to music I
see the influence of other religions where this is done - like in some Hindu temples.
What about the practice of falling backward slain in the Spirit? Is that the gospel or Praise and worship ? Seeing in most cases the waving of hands accompanies it along with sounds that have no understanding that some have named tongues.. What makes your signs and wonder gospel different . Just the waving of hands or others..?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What about the practice of falling backward slain in the Spirit? Is that the gospel or Praise and worship ? Seeing in most cases the waving of hands accompanies it along with sounds that have no understanding that some have named tongues.. What makes your signs and wonder gospel different . Just the waving of hands or others..?
How about you keep your cessationist propaganda to the other thirteen threads on the subject instead of infecting this one with it, where it is distinctly off-topic!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Please do not be hasty in judging the brethren on how they worship our Father.

All who believe worship mannerisms literally INSPIRED by the Holy Spirit are something unworthy of true belief should tak ea lesson from the example of David's joy before the Ark of the Covenant and his wife's being ashamed of him. She was put away for her error.