Receiving the Spirit. How do you know?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
We are to test the spirit. We need a thorough knowledge of scripture to properly test the spirit.
Really? Okay... so can you tell me where in Scripture you found that little nugget?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
John16-13 Holy Spirit will guide speak and show, our faith is a personal relationship, not merely a recalling of learned scriptures, since the beginning, the first chapter of Genesis, to the last in Revelation our Creator has desired personal relationship. That has been my experience walking with the Lord from an early age.

Mar 23, 2016
Isn't the Bible human testimony from Genesis to Revelation?
No. God is the Author of Scripture ... men wrote what God told them to write.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
1John 4:1 . . Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits
to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone
out into the world.

If Jehovah's Witnesses were to test the spirits using the Bible, they would
come to the conclusion that the Watchtower Society is right.

If Catholics were to test the spirits using the Bible, they would come to the
conclusion that Rome is right.

If Baptists were to test the spirits using the Bible, they would come to the
conclusion that Protestantism is right.

If Mormons were to test the spirits using the Bible; they would come to the
conclusion that Joseph Smith is right.

Much of the time when people "test the spirits" all that they are really doing
is determining whether a certain religion's teachers believe the same way
they do.
_

Mar 4, 2020
How do you know when the Spirit is in you? What does it feel like to receive the Spirit? Do you hear the Spirit? If so, what does the Spirit sound like? How can we receive the Spirit?

I’d like to read personal accounts of Christians who know for sure they have received the Spirit.
Christ's power is made perfect in weakness, thereby making the indwelling of the Holy Spirit all the more apparent for those who are spiritually weak. The Spirit convicts people of sin, judgement, and righteousness.

If you remember who you were before you were a Christian and who you became after then by contrast the work of the Holy Spirit should be apparent.

If you were raised in a Christian family in upright ways, that is great, you got a headstart. Some people, like myself, were not born into a Christian family so when I got my first taste of holiness it was a rather dramatic contrast. This is what it means that Christ's power is made perfect in weakness. God came to heal the sick, not those who are already well.

I hope that helps a little.

Mar 23, 2016
Isn't the Bible human testimony from Genesis to Revelation?
Jeremiah 36 sets forth how we got the Word of God:

1 And it came to pass in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, that this word came unto Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,

2 Take thee a roll of a book, and write therein all the words that I have spoken unto thee against Israel, and against Judah, and against all the nations, from the day I spake unto thee, from the days of Josiah, even unto this day.

3 It may be that the house of Judah will hear all the evil which I purpose to do unto them; that they may return every man from his evil way; that I may forgive their iniquity and their sin.

4 Then Jeremiah called Baruch the son of Neriah: and Baruch wrote from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the LORD, which he had spoken unto him, upon a roll of a book.

5 And Jeremiah commanded Baruch, saying, I am shut up; I cannot go into the house of the LORD:

6 Therefore go thou, and read in the roll, which thou hast written from my mouth, the words of the LORD in the ears of the people in the LORD'S house upon the fasting day: and also thou shalt read them in the ears of all Judah that come out of their cities.

7 It may be they will present their supplication before the LORD, and will return every one from his evil way: for great is the anger and the fury that the LORD hath pronounced against this people.

8 And Baruch the son of Neriah did according to all that Jeremiah the prophet commanded him, reading in the book the words of the LORD in the LORD'S house.

9 And it came to pass in the fifth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, in the ninth month, that they proclaimed a fast before the LORD to all the people in Jerusalem, and to all the people that came from the cities of Judah unto Jerusalem.

10 Then read Baruch in the book the words of Jeremiah in the house of the LORD, in the chamber of Gemariah the son of Shaphan the scribe, in the higher court, at the entry of the new gate of the LORD'S house, in the ears of all the people.

11 When Michaiah the son of Gemariah, the son of Shaphan, had heard out of the book all the words of the LORD,

12 Then he went down into the king's house, into the scribe's chamber: and, lo, all the princes sat there, even Elishama the scribe, and Delaiah the son of Shemaiah, and Elnathan the son of Achbor, and Gemariah the son of Shaphan, and Zedekiah the son of Hananiah, and all the princes.

13 Then Michaiah declared unto them all the words that he had heard, when Baruch read the book in the ears of the people.

14 Therefore all the princes sent Jehudi the son of Nethaniah, the son of Shelemiah, the son of Cushi, unto Baruch, saying, Take in thine hand the roll wherein thou hast read in the ears of the people, and come. So Baruch the son of Neriah took the roll in his hand, and came unto them.

15 And they said unto him, Sit down now, and read it in our ears. So Baruch read it in their ears.

16 Now it came to pass, when they had heard all the words, they were afraid both one and other, and said unto Baruch, We will surely tell the king of all these words.

17 And they asked Baruch, saying, Tell us now, How didst thou write all these words at his mouth?

18 Then Baruch answered them, He pronounced all these words unto me with his mouth, and I wrote them with ink in the book.

19 Then said the princes unto Baruch, Go, hide thee, thou and Jeremiah; and let no man know where ye be.

20 And they went in to the king into the court, but they laid up the roll in the chamber of Elishama the scribe, and told all the words in the ears of the king.

21 So the king sent Jehudi to fetch the roll: and he took it out of Elishama the scribe's chamber. And Jehudi read it in the ears of the king, and in the ears of all the princes which stood beside the king.

22 Now the king sat in the winterhouse in the ninth month: and there was a fire on the hearth burning before him.

23 And it came to pass, thatwhen Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast itinto the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth.

24 Yet they were not afraid, nor rent their garments, neither the king, nor any of his servants that heard all these words.

25 Nevertheless Elnathan and Delaiah and Gemariah had made intercession to the king that he would not burn the roll: but he would not hear them.

26 But the king commanded Jerahmeel the son of Hammelech, and Seraiah the son of Azriel, and Shelemiah the son of Abdeel, to take Baruch the scribe and Jeremiah the prophet: but the LORD hid them.

27 Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, after that the king had burned the roll, and the words which Baruch wrote at the mouth of Jeremiah, saying,

28 Take thee again another roll, and write in it all the former words that were in the first roll, which Jehoiakim the king of Judah hath burned.

29 And thou shalt say to Jehoiakim king of Judah, Thus saith the LORD; Thou hast burned this roll, saying, Why hast thou written therein, saying, The king of Babylon shall certainly come and destroy this land, and shall cause to cease from thence man and beast?

30 Therefore thus saith the LORD of Jehoiakim king of Judah; He shall have none to sit upon the throne of David: and his dead body shall be cast out in the day to the heat, and in the night to the frost.

31 And I will punish him and his seed and his servants for their iniquity; and I will bring upon them, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and upon the men of Judah, all the evil that I have pronounced against them; but they hearkened not.

32 Then took Jeremiah another roll, and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah; who wrote therein from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.

Mar 4, 2020
1John 4:1 . . Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits
to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone
out into the world.

If Jehovah's Witnesses were to test the spirits using the Bible, they would
come to the conclusion that the Watchtower Society is right.

If Catholics were to test the spirits using the Bible, they would come to the
conclusion that Rome is right.

If Baptists were to test the spirits using the Bible, they would come to the
conclusion that Protestantism is right.

If Mormons were to test the spirits using the Bible; they would come to the
conclusion that Joseph Smith is right.

Much of the time when people "test the spirits" all that they are really doing
is determining whether a certain religion's teachers believe the same way
they do.
_
I don't know why someone disagreed with you without explaining their position as to why they disagree, but there is certainly truth in what you are saying.

Discerning of spirits is a gift of the manifestation of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:10). When someone prophesies there need to be people judging the prophesy to see if it is from God. (1 Corinthians 14:29-33).

It is a matter of judging and parsing out numerous spiritual influences because there are other competing spirits. Sometimes what people believe is a prophecy is actually their denominational loyalties manifesting through their 'mind of flesh' (Romans 8:6-11). Just like there are fruits of the Spirit, there are also fruits of the flesh, heresy and selfish ambition being some of them that prevent us from hearing the Spirit. (Galatians 5:19-26)

There are also literal demonic/satanic influences. People do occasionally follow those, often accidentally, thinking they are heading to the voice of God, but actually aren't. The devil goes about like a lion seeking those to destroy (1 Peter 5:8) and uses fear, temptation of sin, and spiritual ignorance to perpetuate confusion (Hebrews 2:14-25, Mark 1:13, Luke 8:12)

In summary, yes you are correct, people who are real Christians can be spiritually deaf, blind, and confused by the myriad of spiritual influences. The Word of Truth clears all confusion. This is why we should be sure where we stand. (Be a Berean)

Robo36

Nov 27, 2019
I thank you all again for your contributions, I have determined that there are few if any personal witnesses capable of articulating their personal experiences receiving the Spirit and how it felt to them and how I might expect to feel and know the Spirit should I believe I have been touched and or filed therewith. I'll simply pray to my savior Christ for his revealing what I should expect and that he'll give me knowledge and the wisdom to know the Spirit. I've prayed that prayer without positive understanding, that's why I came here for fellowship by the experienced & personal knowledge.

Robo36

Nov 27, 2019
No. God is the Author of Scripture ... men wrote what God told them to write.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
And there's no Christian alive today that knows how it feels to be filled by the Spirit and capable to witness it to others by the leave of our Lord? Why has God forsaken this generation?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
And there's no Christian alive today that knows how it feels to be filled by the Spirit and capable to witness it to others by the leave of our Lord? Why has God forsaken this generation?
I have the Spirit in me. Through the Word and personal revelation in the form of Jesus telling me “Ed, all of your sins are forgiven “

Read this passage and test yourself:

1 Corinthians 12:3
New King James Version
3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

Do you believe Jesus is God in the flesh, born to a virgin, who suffered, was crucified, died to pay your sin debt, and rose to life 3 days later?

If so, YOU have the Spirit living in you.

He will also manifest in your life by the love you show to others. So test yourself.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
PennEd-Living in acknowledgement of what you just posted and then following His direction to be his hands and feet are how the greater works are being done, as He said they would in this time, the majority unfortunately will hold to an outward form, denying the power thereof.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I used to ponder that question , I used to wonder also if I was saved , this was due to lack of knowledge and not reading the Word as I should off...

Now I look back on my life , these past 5 yrs since God called me and saved me that I see how much I have changed from my old life , evidence of the Holy Spirit working in me...

All the glory to God Amen...
...xox...

May 19, 2020
I used to ponder that question , I used to wonder also if I was saved , this was due to lack of knowledge and not reading the Word as I should off...

Now I look back on my life , these past 5 yrs since God called me and saved me that I see how much I have changed from my old life , evidence of the Holy Spirit working in me...

All the glory to God Amen...

God certainly melted my heart....I used to be a raving lunatic,I kid you not!.🤣🤣🤣

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
How do you know when the Spirit is in you? What does it feel like to receive the Spirit? Do you hear the Spirit? If so, what does the Spirit sound like? How can we receive the Spirit?

I’d like to read personal accounts of Christians who know for sure they have received the Spirit.

It's very simple. You are NOT saved without the Holy Spirit. When God saves us, the Holy Spirit becomes part of our lives, guiding, leading directing and transforming us. We cannot earn the Holy Spirit, anymore than we can earn our salvation. Don't believe all this nonsense of needing a "second" blessing of the Holy Spirit. You can be filled again, but you never lost the Spirit in the first place. How can you be saved, without the Holy Spirit?

"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory."

This passage clearly states that WHEN we believed, we were marked with a seal - the promised Holy Spirit. Please note there are no emotions or feelings associated with this. There is no requirement you jump up and down and speak in tongues. It is just something GOD does. You can't be saved without the Holy Spirit.

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?" 1 Cor. 6:19

If our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, that means he is already in our hearts.

I know the Holy Spirit was there and began a work instantly in changing my heart and life from the moment I was saved. But, it was because the Holy Spirit reminded me of many Bible verses I memorized when I was a young child.

The real way to know more of the Holy Spirit is to read the entire Bible, from cover to cover. Over and over, every year you walk with God. That is the deeper walk with God, not jumping about and shouting, and having overwhelming feelings, but dedicated study of the Bible, and reading it over and over. I have read the Bible over 50 times, and I read daily. Each time I read it, I know more, because the Holy Spirit is teaching me. I also read in German and Koine Greek right now, and I have read the whole Bible in French. Just find a good version that you like reading, and read 3 chapters of the OT a day and 1 chapter of the NT a day, and you will get through the Bible in a year! That is the Holy Spirit helping you read, and learn and grow.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I thank you all again for your contributions, I have determined that there are few if any personal witnesses capable of articulating their personal experiences receiving the Spirit and how it felt to them and how I might expect to feel and know the Spirit should I believe I have been touched and or filed therewith. I'll simply pray to my savior Christ for his revealing what I should expect and that he'll give me knowledge and the wisdom to know the Spirit. I've prayed that prayer without positive understanding, that's why I came here for fellowship by the experienced & personal knowledge.

You completely misunderstand Christianity when you say this. Again, NO FEELINGS are necessary. The only thing necessary to have the Holy Spirit is for God to save you. By grace through faith.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph. 2:8-9

No works involved! Just the wonderful grace, mercy and compassion of God.

I did have a very powerful experience when I was saved. I remember it like it was today, instead of 40 years ago. God spoke to me, and told me he was the Saviour of the Word. It was stunning! God also told me to read my Bible every day, and to repent of my sins. Which I did immediately, but still keep repenting when the Holy Spirit points out new things that are sin to me. After getting saved, I made the mistake of wanting to go to a pentecostal/charismatic church. I, too, was brainwashed like you are. I faked tongues, tried to be super holy. But, it was all a lie. Never did I hear in those churches what I was reading in the WHOLE council of God. After 15 years, I went to a normal church. The pastor was preaching the WHOLE Bible. Not stuck on feelings at all. I was glad I had been faithful in reading my Bible daily during those 15 years of being lost, looking for feelings instead of God.

So, believe, repent, confess and read the Word. If you do that, certainly the Holy Spirit is guiding and leading you! Instead, you have this immature idea that some uneducated preacher told you somewhere, that you have to FEEL something major to be saved. OK, I felt a lot. But I have never relied on those feelings, but relied on the Word of God, because the Spirit talked to me in Scriptures. You are completely missing the point of salvation, when you are asking about earth shaking events. Sometimes God does save people in an earth shaking manner. But, many people don't feel that way. They just believe God, and they are saved. My husband was a person like that. He loves God and serves him. But no unbiblical nonsense about having to feel something.

Read Acts, and see that even there, people are astonished, but it is the believing and repenting that shows their faith in God, not jumping up and down. Besides there are only 5 or 6 incidents of even speaking in tongues in the book of Acts. And those people are more astounded or astonished at what God has done them, than looking for some kind of experience. Experiences can grow old! Better to base your faith on the living and sovereign Saviour, than on some kind of excitement or feelings.

People have spoken correctly here, when they point you to the Bible, and not to experiences. Learn from the wisdom of many in this forum.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Inspired testament
So we're supposed to not trust our own emotions and seek testimonies of others? Isn't the Bible human testimony from Genesis to Revelation? Do we not aspire to it by faith and prayer? I believe God created us all to be free of mind and choice & offers us prayer to distinguish good from evil & truth from lies and faith thereby.
testimony inspired by the by spirit. He gave us his word for determining truth.

Mar 23, 2016
And there's no Christian alive today that knows how it feels to be filled by the Spirit and capable to witness it to others by the leave of our Lord?
My telling you how I "feel" is not going to help you.

My telling you the good news of the gospel of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is what you need to hear:

1 Corinthians 15:

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Romans 10:

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Once you are born again, let the filling begin ... :cool:

Robo36 said:
Why has God forsaken this generation?
Why do you believe God has forsaken this generation?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

There becomes a change of desires, like love His Word, as well as His Word becomes 'alive' and one has a desire to be pleasing to Him.
Each person's experience is different when being born again.
We receive His Spirit when we sincerely believe the Gospel, which includes seeing our clear need of a Savior, in this case Jesus.

Galatians 3:2-3 (KJV) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Thank you all for your response, I hoped for more personal testimony. What does it feel like when the spirit is in you? What are your emotional feelings? How do you identify it's the spirit?
Feelings are fickle and testimonies are untrustworthy (anybody can make up stories to deceive), read God's Word and believe the Gospel.
Also ask...
Luke 11:11-13 (NASB) "Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? "Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he? "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego

My testimony is quite lengthy. But I was having a conversation with what society would deem a crackle I did not believe at the time but she kept claiming God throughout her whole story . She told me of all of her life's demises and kept putting her hand over her heart in unbelief that I couldn't feel God or I didn't believe in God. After this beautiful woman had become a sobbing mess after telling me her life story and all of the demises that took place she looked at me as if she felt sorry for me and said I can't believe you don't feel God as she put her hands over her heart. I said you know what I think you've convinced me as my mind simultaneously thought now stop asking that and I truly doubted the idea that I was correct in my unbelief. At that point God took me up somewhere in the heavens where there was no time frame no thought process no emotional connection I became love I love that was so powerful and angelic that I have no right to try to describe it in words I cannot do it justice. After this experience and falling asleep I woke up the next morning and the first thing on my mind was the odd experience I had the night before right then and there had that very moment from then on I knew it was from God I knew there was a god and from that moment on I have been unable to deny the fact that God exists. I was so overwhelmed with a joy and all of my wrongdoings everything I had been running from everything I had done in my life as a wrong was totally completely just washed away I felt totally cleansed on the inside I took off from the hotel room where I was staying and I ran through the streets of downtown salt lake City grabbing people by their jackets spinning people around screaming there's a God there's a God I was so overwhelmed and excited for 30 years I didn't believe I've been missing this for 30 years there's a god!!! I had no idea at the time but I was filled to the brim with the Holy Spirit my life continued I remember making a comment to my friend that night that I was going to try to quit cussing that I don't think God likes cussing. The righteous behavior the crazy relationships the traveling the drugs all continued except for one difference there was no way I couldn't deny that there was a god. Six and a half years later I ended up in prison in Pennsylvania and after a series of events ended up with a Bible in my hand as a deal for some envelopes and writing material to write home. I had picked up the Bible numerous times in my life where it said in times of trouble or in times of need turn to hear or there and I would turn there and read it and end up throwing it across the room yelling get that junk away from me what good does that do me. But when I open the Bible to the book of John because I made a promise to read one chapter every day for a week, my eyes were instantly open to his truth and his word instantly opened I became dependent on studying the Bible I had no desire to do anything else I wasn't happy doing anything else if I tried not to study I was miserable. For 20 hours a day for roughly 10 months or so no exaggeration I studied the Bible continually I had bought a strongs, and I studied. I made sure I used no commentary and only used the word of God to learn I read it over and over until the spirit revealed more and more to me. it was at this time of studying that my salvation and the realization of what had happened to me six and a half years ago came to me. I never once got on my knees and asked God to come into my life I never once pursued the fact that I was going to become a Bible studier or anything of the sort, the Lord imputed me with the spirit gave me my faith my understanding my love my belief my Hope and everything else that I have pertaining to God and everything else that surrounds him. I have been studying the Bible for over 20 years without commentary, and I must say the spirit has spoken the truth to me and let me realize the truth in Doctrine. And that truth has set me free because that truth is that my salvation and any child of God's salvation was complete and done somewhere in eternity's past when he wrote my name in The book of Life and decided to call me out of love into his gracious presence. And there is nothing absolutely nothing that is going to change the direction of my eternal destiny. That is the truth and that is my testimony, In short, of how I was chosen.