Red Flag Alert...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
How I respond when ppl say I'm not asking for money, BUT... especially when it is followed up with them saying...here is my email what's yours?!!!! In case you can not tell from this Meme, that is me stepping away, lol

Screenshot_20190204-130126_Google.jpg

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.
Matthew 10:16‭ NASB
Screenshot_20190204-135009_Google.jpg

danja

Nov 28, 2014
few minutes ago had someone asking me for money and asking for my e-mail in chat .I just didn't respond

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
few minutes ago had someone asking me for money and asking for my e-mail in chat .I just didn't respond
Yeah, me too, it inspired my response here, wanting to have my brothers and sisters in Him be cautious. Catfishers of anykind boggle my mind, how they are able to get strangers to send them money or personal info.

Nice to meet you, you seem so nice let me give you my email, phone number, address, social security #, oh wait let me give you my bank info. Oh do you want all my family's personal info, too? Wait here, I will go get it.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
How I respond when ppl say I'm not asking for money, BUT... especially when it is followed up with them saying...here is my email what's yours?!!!! In case you can not tell from this Meme, that is me stepping away, lol

View attachment 193919
I just had the same thing happen, so I'm assuming you ladies were contacted by the same person.

I don't know what everyone else's experiences have been (?), but in most cases for me, you can tell that the message is something generic and has probably been sent out to hundreds of other people, just hoping for fish that will give the line a tug.

When I used to correspond with inmates, one told me that Christians were a favorite target group of scammers because it a Christian's belief in God's command for us to love others is easy to manipulate.

Now I'm certainly not trying to say that everyone who asks for help is a criminal or a scammer, but I definitely applaud Charli's mission to keep people safe--and aware.

If the message is obviously generic, I just don't reply at all. If it's openly soliciting money, I report it.

And if it's someone who writes like 2 messages and asks for my contact info, I just try to politely explain that this whole site is set up for getting to know others so there's no reason for me to talk to them on another site if they really want to get to know me.

Anyone who blows up at this answer and has no concept of personal safety isn't going to be a real friend to you anyways, so it's best to just move on.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I just had the same thing happen, so I'm assuming you ladies were contacted by the same person.

I don't know what everyone else's experiences have been (?), but in most cases for me, you can tell that the message is something generic and has probably been sent out to hundreds of other people, just hoping for fish that will give the line a tug.

When I used to correspond with inmates, one told me that Christians were a favorite target group of scammers because it a Christian's belief in God's command for us to love others is easy to manipulate.

Now I'm certainly not trying to say that everyone who asks for help is a criminal or a scammer, but I definitely applaud Charli's mission to keep people safe--and aware.

If the message is obviously generic, I just don't reply at all. If it's openly soliciting money, I report it.

And if it's someone who writes like 2 messages and asks for my contact info, I just try to politely explain that this whole site is set up for getting to know others so there's no reason for me to talk to them on another site if they really want to get to know me.

Anyone who blows up at this answer and has no concept of personal safety isn't going to be a real friend to you anyways, so it's best to just move on.
Spot on!!! I will remember your useful reply...

The I have 5 million dollars and I have time and energy to go around asking 1000's of strangers to help me give that money away... um uh, really?

Christians should give to the needy and poor, for sure, Seoul, our calling for sure. You are so right, though, how some folks use the platform of Faith against us. Besides, how can we give to those in sincere need, if we are foolishly giving away our resources to those trying to manipulate His calling. He will not be mocked.

Plus He gives us the spirit of a sound mind, thinking and believing no one has the potential for deceit on their minds can be so costly and harmful, even deadly.

Hugs Sisters, btw.

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
You all just need to use the biblical response: "Silver and gold have I none." Acts 3:6.

Then ask to borrow $100.00.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
I haven’t gotten any messages like this. I’m offended!!!!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

G

Gracie_14

I got one just yesterday of a lady asking me for my help and gave me her email. She sounded nice and addressed me as "dear beloved" with a tag of "God bless you." She gave me her full name and the nation she was in. She claimed she has cancer and wanted my help.... I was like stuck in what to do...I insisted why not talk about it here and why via email but she insisted due to her illness she couldn't be online....

I've met another one who was suffering from cancer and that she needed to transfer money to the someone's bank account before she dies. She had an inheritance from her deceased husband. Apparently, i was her choice (because I was a and I quote "a God-fearing person"). I was allegedly going to get like, One million dollars transferred to my account (i don't even have one). I said, I cannot and need to ask my parents in which she respected...anywayyyyy she gave me the bank details and I literally thought..."this is an answer to prayers!!" :cautious:

I had got suspicious after googling her name and finding out she wasn't in the US but was living in Nigeria.......she stopped replying....interesting, really.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I got one just yesterday of a lady asking me for my help and gave me her email. She sounded nice and addressed me as "dear beloved" with a tag of "God bless you." She gave me her full name and the nation she was in. She claimed she has cancer and wanted my help.... I was like stuck in what to do...I insisted why not talk about it here and why via email but she insisted due to her illness she couldn't be online....

I've met another one who was suffering from cancer and that she needed to transfer money to the someone's bank account before she dies. She had an inheritance from her deceased husband. Apparently, i was her choice (because I was a and I quote "a God-fearing person"). I was allegedly going to get like, One million dollars transferred to my account (i don't even have one). I said, I cannot and need to ask my parents in which she respected...anywayyyyy she gave me the bank details and I literally thought..."this is an answer to prayers!!" :cautious:

I had got suspicious after googling her name and finding out she wasn't in the US but was living in Nigeria.......she stopped replying....interesting, really.
These are classic lines.

If the first woman couldn't be online "due to her illness" why was she ONLINE soliciting other people? Even if she asked for an email address, that still meant she would have to be spending time online--that explanation makes no sense. And if she's giving you a line like "dearly beloved", that means she's copy/pasted this email and sent it out to a multitude of people. Anything generic, no matter how "Christianly" sounding (sometimes ESPECIALLY when it sounds particularly "spiritual") is a huge red flag, and asking for money/help right away is another.

If you're ever approached by someone and their message seems off or makes you feel uncomfortable, get a second a opinion from a trusted mentor or friend.

Stay safe out there. <3

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014

Yep, sis, classic scammer, block and runnnnnn!!!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Better yet, use your common sense and report these people to Robo, along with your emails from them..

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
Blue, yes, report, block and then walk away.
the ones that bother me most are from those who have a "ministry" they are sponsoring, and live in a multi-million dollar home next to a private airport.
Did I mention that same person has 3 private jets?

Dec 12, 2013
That blue chat box was not up a day and I had some dude? from some African country asking me for money........P.T. Barnum said, "A sucka is born every minute"

I am not one of those suckas........!!