Religious Tithing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
I disagree with you so now I have a lot of issues going on and need to go on an extended fast? lol Too much. I do agree with you on one thing though. Not all congregation have been corrupted; however, corruption is becoming the norm.
Oh c’mon, I’m just going by what you said about this one church. You don’t have to do anything I say, and you’re clearly smarter and know more than me.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Why is it so tough to tithe? Look, you don’t have to do it. You can justify anything bro, if you want to bad enough. Why are you getting mad? It’s true that if you tithe God will rebuke the devoured for you sake. If you don’t then He won’t. Let’s be honest, if you’re whining this much about giving a tenth, we know you certainly won’t voluntarily give anything lol.
“Tough” and “irrelevant” have no relationship. Don’t make the asinine assumption that because I tell you that tithing isn’t a Christian ‘thing’ that I give little or nothing. Don’t bother misquoting Scripture at me either; I know very well what it says on the subject.

Your insults only reflect on you.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
“Tough” and “irrelevant” have no relationship. Don’t make the asinine assumption that because I tell you that tithing isn’t a Christian ‘thing’ that I give little or nothing. Don’t bother misquoting Scripture at me either; I know very well what it says on the subject.

I’m not insulting you. Tithing is one of those things that will protect you from financial pitfalls, Test it out and see. In fact God says “try me now in this..,”. Go for a paycheck tithing and one without. It’s up to you though not me. You’re right, you obviously know more than me. God Bless

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Tithing is one of those things that will protect you from financial pitfalls,
No, it won't. Faith in God's goodness and functioning by sound, godly wisdom protect me from financial pitfalls.

Test it out and see. In fact God says “try me now in this..,”. Go for a paycheck tithing and one without.
Scripture does not say, "Go for a paycheck tithing and one without it to test Me."

In fact, nothing in Scripture associates a paycheck with "tithing". Under the Law (everything from Exodus onward), the ancient Israelites didn't tithe on their "pay" but only on the products of agriculture.

I would encourage you to study the Christian's relationship to the Law as given through Moses, paying particular attention to Paul's argument to the Galatians. Once you understand that, you should re-evaluate your position on "tithing" by examining every reference to it in Scripture, in context.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
No, it won't. Faith in God's goodness and functioning by sound, godly wisdom protect me from financial pitfalls.

Scripture does not say, "Go for a paycheck tithing and one without it to test Me."

In fact, nothing in Scripture associates a paycheck with "tithing". Under the Law (everything from Exodus onward), the ancient Israelites didn't tithe on their "pay" but only on the products of agriculture.

I would encourage you to study the Christian's relationship to the Law as given through Moses, paying particular attention to Paul's argument to the Galatians. Once you understand that, you should re-evaluate your position on "tithing" by examining every reference to it in Scripture, in context.
Once again you know it all

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024

So, why did Abraham tithe to Melchizedek? He gave it out of the increase, or in other words as a thank you to God for rescuing lot and the other captives. Pretty sure there was some spoil in there other than animals and agriculture. There was no law at that time. Also, the Abrahamic lineage and generation was marked by faith and not by the law, so tithing comes by faith. Why did Abraham give a tenth? Because God impressed upon him what to give. How did Abraham know to sacrifice Isaac? Because God had told/ impressed upon him to do it. There was nothing written down, but he did it by faith.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
So, why did Abraham tithe to Melchizedek? He gave it out of the increase, or in other words as a thank you to God for rescuing lot and the other captives. Pretty sure there was some spoil in there other than animals and agriculture. There was no law at that time. Also, the Abrahamic lineage and generation was marked by faith and not by the law, so tithing comes by faith. Why did Abraham give a tenth? Because God impressed upon him what to give. How did Abraham know to sacrifice Isaac? Because God had told/ impressed upon him to do it. There was nothing written down, but he did it by faith.
Abraham sacrificed Isaac because God told him to do so. There is no such command to tithe, so your argument is made ‘from silence’. We simply aren’t told why he did, so any explanation is speculative. I don’t build my life on speculations. ;)

shittim

Dec 16, 2016

isn't that often the case for many or all?
we al need to give each other the benefit of the doubt.
None of us know what that person might be temporally experiencing.
blessings

Mar 6, 2023
There was no law at that time. Also, the Abrahamic lineage and generation was marked by faith and not by the law, so tithing comes by faith..
Yep no law, YIKES!!
~Moving on from the basic faith principle of Tithe...
What about
Sowing of seed.
Alms.
Offering.
First Fruits.
The above must be just included in the tithe? LOL.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
Abraham sacrificed Isaac because God told him to do so. There is no such command to tithe, so your argument is made ‘from silence’. We simply aren’t told why he did, so any explanation is speculative. I don’t build my life on speculations. ;)
What do you build you life on that’s different from a shrewd business man? You don’t exude or radiate any kind of understanding of God’s character, other than cold, hard facts, and “no one is gonna tell me what to do.”. Where the Spirit of the Lord us there is liberty (freedom from the law, freedom from old mindsets, freedom from pride and haughtiness). I mentioned one thing about tithing between you and God and that sent you into a complete rant about Law and the OT whatever. It’s not a world ending thing. No one is trying to get over on you or tell you to do anything. You have the freedom to do anything you want right (Paul says all thing are permissible…). So just do whatever you want. You’re your own boss. You’re in charge.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What do you build you life on that’s different from a shrewd business man? You don’t exude or radiate any kind of understanding of God’s character, other than cold, hard facts, and “no one is gonna tell me what to do.”. Where the Spirit of the Lord us there is liberty (freedom from the law, freedom from old mindsets, freedom from pride and haughtiness).
Right understanding of God’s character begins with the facts of Scripture, not misinterpretations thereof. “Tithing” is rooted far more in “the law” and “old mindsets” and is normally accompanied by “pride and haughtiness” towards those of us who carefully read and apply Scripture.

It doesn’t take any faith to “tithe”, but it does take faith to live by the constant leading of the Holy Spirit. Christians are called to the latter. ;)

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
Right understanding of God’s character begins with the facts of Scripture, not misinterpretations thereof. “Tithing” is rooted far more in “the law” and “old mindsets” and is normally accompanied by “pride and haughtiness” towards those of us who carefully read and apply Scripture.

It doesn’t take any faith to “tithe”, but it does take faith to live by the constant leading of the Holy Spirit. Christians are called to the latter. ;)
So why do you think it’s in there? Of all the things to be recorded for eternity and even God saying “Try me now in this”? How can pride and haughtiness be involved if no one knows your tithing or giving? I guess if you tell someone or broadcast it…

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
To say tithing is rooted in the law is to say that Abraham had no faith, and that Melchizedek threatened him to tithe. The Law was given out of anger and carried us an example of the “Letter of the Law”, based on the hard hearts of the Israelites. The Spirit of the Law is what’s beyond it. In regard to giving money to God, whether you call it a tithe or not, the Pharisees threatened the people with it and proudly made a show of themselves doing it. I would imagine they even went back and poured over church financials and punished anyone who did not tithe what they thought was enough. The Spirit of the Law in regard to tithing was a giving to God in obedience cheerfully whether it was required or not, more as an offering or worship.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
To be disciplined with it is not the same as being under the law. Just because a person s disciplined and regimented in their processes doesn’t make them legalistic. It only becomes legalistic when there’s a demand, or some manly threat, or too rigid to change.

Is there a threat to not tithing. It’s the same threat of not obeying God, or choosing to do what you know in your heart is not right. Duteronomy 28 is still valid but as the Spirit of the Law.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Abraham's and Jacob’s 10th would seem arbitrary if not for the law that was given 100s of years later. Wisdom tells me there was some understanding among Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob about the tithe that existed among their people. It would make sense, since their patriarch, Abraham, was the first to specifically tithe.

I give the tithe as “honor owed” to the one who watches over my soul. If there is any compulsion of it, it is of my own doing, as I do so willingly and with gladness. I watch over the souls of some, also, who never tithe to me. My care for them is not different because they do not tithe. However, of those who do and those who do not, the one’s who give gladly have fewer issues related to money. This is just my observation.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
So why do you think it’s in there? Of all the things to be recorded for eternity and even God saying “Try me now in this”? How can pride and haughtiness be involved if no one knows your tithing or giving? I guess if you tell someone or broadcast it…
If you claim to "tithe", you are claiming to give ten percent of your income to your local church. Making the claim is broadcasting.

Of course, you might, as many Christians do, just appropriate the term "tithing" and apply it to any giving you happen to do.

So if you claim to be "tithing", you're either ignorant, dishonest, or hypocritical... or some combination of the three. Walking by faith really is the better way.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To say tithing is rooted in the law is to say that Abraham had no faith, and that Melchizedek threatened him to tithe. The Law was given out of anger and carried us an example of the “Letter of the Law”, based on the hard hearts of the Israelites. The Spirit of the Law is what’s beyond it. In regard to giving money to God, whether you call it a tithe or not, the Pharisees threatened the people with it and proudly made a show of themselves doing it. I would imagine they even went back and poured over church financials and punished anyone who did not tithe what they thought was enough. The Spirit of the Law in regard to tithing was a giving to God in obedience cheerfully whether it was required or not, more as an offering or worship.
Which is exactly why moving away from a percentage-based approach and towards a faith-based approach is the better fulfillment. ;)

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
To me, tithing is a spiritual law. It started with Adams and Eve's family offering first fruits to God as in honor, thanksgiving and love. I also include helping the homeless, Psa 41 speaks of the benefits of that. I can honestly say I receive miraculous blessings in many different ways and I've seen others who tithe blessed in highly favored ways also. As with Cain, no one should tithe if it's not from the heart.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Brothers and Sisters,

My Lord said:

Luke 19 45And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold, 46saying to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a den of robbers.”

Matthew 21 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Where is the house of the Lord? Where does he dwell?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/tithe

The term “tithe” (Heb. “maaser”)—meaning, the one tenth part of something given to charity—appears often in the Torah

Is it wrong to tithe? That would depend on what it is used for wouldn’t it? Is it used for the body first? For those in the body who are in need? Or is it to build a large empty building with fancy furnishings. With leaders who stuff themselves and theirs first before sharing what is left with the body, if they share at all? Showing love for each other and care, instead of like the world? That would make the world see something they don’t have, a true living community, a family who takes care of each other. This is the way!

If they did do that, then the Lord would provide a greater bounty for them to also share for those outside the body. To be able to show love and compassion for those outside, as you too once were outside! Not to become wasteful, boastful, and haughty. He will provide what you need, least you become distracted from what is truly important!

Yet many say, the law doesn’t apply, especially of the old Jewish laws…. Oh, well, maybe only select laws do.

At the same time one of the 10 commandments, thanks to man’s religious traditions which was never removed in the reformation, which was written by the hand of God first, then rewritten by Mosses is ignored by many in religion. Then sometimes, when they do “observe it” they add to the law just as the Jewish religious did.

Whose commandment was it? Who blessed that day and made it Holy? Tell me of all the commandments listed which one seems like it would be the easiest, if it were possible to keep?

Maybe it depends on who is feeding you?

‘Tis the season, the Lord is not a gene, he is not santa clause, here to grant you wishes while you live your life for you. He gave his Son for you, who laid down His life for His flock. The victory is won, the deed is done, will you pick up your cross and stand as one with the Father and Son? Or eat, drink and be merry? Who is your King, who do you follow?

The Lord is the Way!
blessed be the name of the Lord forever and ever!

Love, your brother in Christ
The Lord has a name and it is Jesus. Try using it. Jesus had something to say about the Law and about tithing. The sermon on the mount is an expression of God's intent over and above mere outward observance. Obedience to the law is not good enough.

Tithing has been replaced by giving. This is clear from the words of Jesus Himself. "Give and it shall be given to you", for example. The pharisee tithed herbs that he grew, yet he was deemed unrighteous even while he judged the tax collector. It is no longer an issue of commandments given to one particular group, Israel, but of the Kingdom of God. All mankind may enter the kingdom of God, not just the people of Israel.

The Law was not given to the Gentiles. The born again live by a much higher law, the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus. It's the law of freedom, not of harsh rules. If you want to live by the law - oh, you cannot. There is no Levitical priesthood and no temple.

Disobeying the Sabbath rules was punishable by death. You can't have it both ways. Either we live by grace or by law. Many try to mix grace and law and get neither right.