Religious Tithing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 12, 2016
Brothers and Sisters,

My Lord said:

Luke 19 45And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold, 46saying to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a den of robbers.”

Matthew 21 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Where is the house of the Lord? Where does he dwell?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/tithe

The term “tithe” (Heb. “maaser”)—meaning, the one tenth part of something given to charity—appears often in the Torah

Is it wrong to tithe? That would depend on what it is used for wouldn’t it? Is it used for the body first? For those in the body who are in need? Or is it to build a large empty building with fancy furnishings. With leaders who stuff themselves and theirs first before sharing what is left with the body, if they share at all? Showing love for each other and care, instead of like the world? That would make the world see something they don’t have, a true living community, a family who takes care of each other. This is the way!

If they did do that, then the Lord would provide a greater bounty for them to also share for those outside the body. To be able to show love and compassion for those outside, as you too once were outside! Not to become wasteful, boastful, and haughty. He will provide what you need, least you become distracted from what is truly important!

Yet many say, the law doesn’t apply, especially of the old Jewish laws…. Oh, well, maybe only select laws do.

At the same time one of the 10 commandments, thanks to man’s religious traditions which was never removed in the reformation, which was written by the hand of God first, then rewritten by Mosses is ignored by many in religion. Then sometimes, when they do “observe it” they add to the law just as the Jewish religious did.

Whose commandment was it? Who blessed that day and made it Holy? Tell me of all the commandments listed which one seems like it would be the easiest, if it were possible to keep?

Maybe it depends on who is feeding you?

‘Tis the season, the Lord is not a gene, he is not santa clause, here to grant you wishes while you live your life for you. He gave his Son for you, who laid down His life for His flock. The victory is won, the deed is done, will you pick up your cross and stand as one with the Father and Son? Or eat, drink and be merry? Who is your King, who do you follow?

The Lord is the Way!
blessed be the name of the Lord forever and ever!

Love, your brother in Christ

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
Brothers and Sisters,

My Lord said:

Luke 19 45And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold, 46saying to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a den of robbers.”

Matthew 21 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

The term “tithe” (Heb. “maaser”)—meaning, the one tenth part of something given to charity—appears often in the Torah

Is it wrong to tithe? That would depend on what it is used for wouldn’t it? Is it used for the body first? For those in the body who are in need? Or is it to build a large empty building with fancy furnishings. With leaders who stuff themselves and theirs first before sharing what is left with the body, if they share at all? Showing love for each other and care, instead of like the world? That would make the world see something they don’t have, a true living community, a family who takes care of each other. This is the way!

If they did do that, then the Lord would provide a greater bounty for them to also share for those outside the body. To be able to show love and compassion for those outside, as you too once were outside! Not to become wasteful, boastful, and haughty. He will provide what you need, least you become distracted from what is truly important!

Yet many say, the law doesn’t apply, especially of the old Jewish laws…. Oh, well, maybe only select laws do.

At the same time one of the 10 commandments, thanks to man’s religious traditions which was never removed in the reformation, which was written by the hand of God first, then rewritten by Mosses is ignored by many in religion. Then sometimes, when they do “observe it” they add to the law just as the Jewish religious did.

Whose commandment was it? Who blessed that day and made it Holy? Tell me of all the commandments listed which one seems like it would be the easiest, if it were possible to keep?

‘Tis the season, the Lord is not a gene, he is not santa clause, here to grant you wishes while you live your life for you. He gave his Son for you, who laid down His life for His flock. The victory is won, the deed is done, will you pick up your cross and stand as one with the Father and Son? Or eat, drink and be merry? Who is your King, who do you follow?

The Lord is the Way!

All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160). In Deuteronomy 17:8-13, it gives authority to priests and judges to make rulings about how to correctly obey God's law that the people were obligated to obey, so that is not adding to it.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Tithe simply means "tenth". The tenth is not necessarily reserved for charity.

Hundreds of years before the Law, the tithe was given, Abram gave a tenth to Melchizedek

Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. 19 And he blessed him and said:

“Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.”

And he (Abram) gave him a tithe of all.

A bit later, still hundreds of years before the Law, we see Jacob vow to return to his father's house and give God a tenth of all he had:

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God. And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.

So, the original tithe, or tenth, was not a law. In both instances above, the tenth was given as tokens of honor to the ones who represented God in the earth to the giver: for Abram, Melchizedek; for Jacob, his father Isaac.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Brothers and Sisters,

My Lord said:

The Lord is the Way!

With respect, I sincerely hope that you are not a preacher in real life, and if you are, that the above is not typical of your sermons. It's doctrinally sloppy, poorly researched, and emotionally charged. I wouldn't tolerate preaching like that in my church.

Voluntary tithing is recorded exactly once in Scripture, in Genesis 14. There is no record that Jacob ever fulfilled his promise from Genesis 28, and the next mention is in Leviticus, as part of the Law.

Mandatory tithing under the Law was only imposed on agricultural producers, was only payable in agricultural products (or money with a surcharge of 20%), and was only payable directly to the Levites (or from Levites to priests), though the text is unclear as to the exact disposition of the third-year tithe.

As mandatory tithing is part of the Law, and Christians are not under the Law, there is no mandatory tithing for Christians. Using the concept when talking about offerings for the Church is misleading at best and profoundly unbiblical at worst. The New Testament teaches generous and even sacrificial giving, but not "tithing". Further, Christians are not under the "commandments" either, but that can be a separate discussion.

If you want to encourage people to give to the Church and/or to charitable causes, at least do so on the solid foundation of directly-relevant Scripture, not guilt-inducing implications that only result in confusion and uncertainty.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yes. As Dino has pointed out it appears in Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, and is connected with agricultural produce and the Levites and priests.

But Christian "grace giving" is described in the New Testament in 2 Corinthians 9:1-15 in which we read:
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

In other words, if a Christian can give 99% of his income for the work of God's Kingdom and the Gospel, he should do so. And if less then "as he has purposed in his heart" and how God (who makes all grace abound) leads him in this matter. The widow in the temple gave 100% and Christ commended her for giving more than anyone else (although in reality it was a small amount).

There is nothing wrong with only 10% giving, but it must be done on the basis of New Testament principles, not the OT tithe. Many denominations DEMAND a tithe, and that is totally unscriptural.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
Showing love for each other and care, instead of like the world? That would make the world see something they don’t have, a true living community, a family who takes care of each other. This is the way!
Thank God there ARE people of God who ARE doing this in various locations.
Some more than others.
But the word of God is going forth constantly.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Brother Guardian It is of course never wrong to give to our Pastors! How much is led by the Lord in you!! Not by any law! (2 Cor 9:7-12!!) For those who have less giving of prayer for him as well as giving of thanksgiving to the Lord is also wise! In our Church no offering is taken, a large kind of like a mail shoot is located at the back of the Church.

There is where one can give. Holy Spirit guides our Church I cannot imagine telling Holy Spirit wait on your ministration we need to take an offering. LOL Anyway brother allow the Lord to guide not people! Blessing to you brother!

peaceman

Nov 1, 2013
Brothers and Sisters,
The Lord is the Way!
We are glad to give reply to you ,,
Old testament is with commandment to give tithe. It is ordered by God, God said give to me 10%,, it is already written in bible, The 10th 10% funds are used for priests and temple use,
in New testament , tenth part is not ordered. New testament said.. you are not your own. you are the property of God, He purchased you by paying penalty(blood). Christians are believing Jesus paid the blood for their sins. So they like to show the gratitude to God by giving some thing.. few people may give the 10% few people many give it, few people may give more than 10%. it is their willing. No demands in Church. And a true church always with elders ruling and accountability. The funds in church is goes to use for Pastor support, widows support, and poor people support, and gospel activities. Please go and check some churches with clear elders leadership,
In one sense i may agree with you , some pastors and elders are misusing the funds,
I am 62 y old, i am glad to say ''every person need to give account to God'' I have 62y age. i am completed 35 years in ministry, God never allowed me to do scam in funds matter. I am happy to give advise to every Christian, Do not blame other people but please try to love and pray for all people,

Dec 29, 2023
Hundreds of years before the Law, the tithe was given, Abram gave a tenth to Melchizedek

And that was just a one time offering after coming back from the slaughter of the kings.

It is of course never wrong to give to our Pastors!

Depends on what they are teaching!

Some of these guys should get anything

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
op: religious tithing?

Correct, since tithing and all associated rules were for the Jews in the OT.
Today, it would be religious / legalistic to command 'tithing' for all of
The Body Of Christ, because, Under Grace, God Gave Paul, our apostle:

"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart,​
so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for​
God loveth a cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7 AV)​
Thus, some may "purpose in their heart" to give 10%, some more, and
some less... "Simplicity In Christ!"

Amen.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I believe that these threads bring out those who are looking for an excuse not to give to their church's ministry. You don't need one. God wants you to give from your heart, not your pocketbook. I don't have a pocketbook. What I have is by the Grace of God, and I have no problem with giving 10% (or more) (call it a tithe or a gift) to support my church's ministry. I trust my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to ensure that we are always using it to reach the lost of our community.

Stop looking for excuses, and start giving (both of self and money), and see how far your church's ministry can go!

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I believe that these threads bring out those who are looking for an excuse not to give to their church's ministry. You don't need one. God wants you to give from your heart, not your pocketbook. I don't have a pocketbook. What I have is by the Grace of God, and I have no problem with giving 10% (or more) (call it a tithe or a gift) to support my church's ministry. I trust my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to ensure that we are always using it to reach the lost of our community.

Stop looking for excuses, and start giving (both of self and money), and see how far your church's ministry can go!
When you point your finger at others you have three pointing back at you.

Dec 29, 2023

It's too bad that the majority of churches these days teach false doctrine and we have to make a choice between sitting under false doctrine or obeying God's Word which teaches to depart from those that do not hold to sound doctrine.

Most churches should not be getting any money at all from true bible believing Christians! disagree.gif

Billyd

May 8, 2014
When you point your finger at others you have three pointing back at you.
My friend, I spent many years looking for the same excuse. God stopped at Malachi chapter three, and wouldn't let me move on. I finally got the message. "I was robbing God".

I am not pointing fingers, I am stating a simple fact. When I committed to giving to God, and followed through. My life changed. I will continue to give 10% or more to the ministry of my church.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
It's too bad that the majority of churches these days teach false doctrine and we have to make a choice between sitting under false doctrine or obeying God's Word which teaches to depart from those that do not hold to sound doctrine.

Most churches should not be getting any money at all from true bible believing Christians! View attachment 261445
Who's going to pay the expenses? Who's going to gas in the van or bus? Who's going to feed the elderly widows or the young mother who's husband was killed in an accident? More importantly. Who's going lead the lost of the community to Christ when the door's of the church close. I see the doors of the churches of your true bible believing Christians, that refuse to give to the church, close on a regular basis.

peaceman

Nov 1, 2013
Amen. Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome Back to 'Chat.'
And, Please Be Very Richly Encouraged and Edified In
The Lord Jesus Christ, and In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
!
Grace, Peace, Mercy, and Love!
Yes ,, Thank you very much for your kind words and spiritual encouragement,, Yes we need to rightly divide the word,,
This is why we are conducting the spiritual awareness and doctrinal awareness seminars in different cities in our country,, There is big response too,, please pray for every thing

Dec 29, 2023
Yes ,, Thank you very much for your kind words and spiritual encouragement,, Yes we need to rightly divide the word,,
This is why we are conducting the spiritual awareness and doctrinal awareness seminars in different cities in our country,, There is big response too,, please pray for every thing

What's the web address for these doctrinal awareness seminars

Are these meetings posted on youtube or rumble?

peaceman

Nov 1, 2013
Are these meetings posted on youtube or rumble?
NO brother,, we are not publishing all this programs.. we are doing work ,, specially we are with Telugu language,, which is with more than 110 million people, So we never posted the seminars in youtube or some where,, i will send few details to you
Thank you ,,