I agree to that justin because life consists of many diffrent things, like the experience of art or the feeling of love, but how that effects us is scientifically observable and testable. Is this possible for the experiences people of faith have? what do you do to verify spiritual things.
We can observe some of the physical effects of love. The changes in hormones, the quickening of the pulse. We can observe how a persons behavior is changed when they are in love and the various areas of the brain that activate.
But physical observation can never express the depth and beauty of love to those who are observers.
In the same way, faith will naturally produce certain changes in the mind and body. Yet faith is personal.
I am the type of person who has to study ever aspect of a thing. I have always taken everything apart a hundred times to learn everything I can about it. So for me, I had to research every single religion and philosophy in depth before I came to the conclusion that the Bible was true. I consider that foundation as already having been laid. So now when I want to verify things which are spiritual, I use the Bible and the Holy Spirit to tell me.
The Bible (to me) is the most amazing thing you could ever use to verify things of the spirit. Everything and every situation you could think of can easily be answered by it. But it requires the Holy Spirit or wisdom from God to really be able to understand it. God said that if a person lacks wisdom, he should ask, and God will give it to him.
In the same way, an atheist. Who has laid the foundation that God does not exist. Will use that to verify spiritual things.
Which won't get him very far when it comes to discerning spiritual things lol. All roads lead to no
The reason why I think the Bible is the best way to discern spiritual things, is because I think it was created by God for that very purpose. Feelings cannot be trusted for insight into anything, because feelings are dependent on your worldview. Your mind cannot necessarily be trusted, because we are all born knowing nothing and we may not have the correct information to make a good decision. Men cannot be trusted, for every man believes a different thing and men are sinful.