Replacement theology? Yes or No.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jesus is the firstfruits of the church.
Not 144,000 jewish men.
I agree that Christ is the firstfruits of the resurrection harvest.
That is explicitly stated in 1 Corinthians 15.

But Revelation 14 also explicitly calls the 144,000 "firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb."
Therefore, the question is not whether Christ is the firstfruits of the Church.
The question is why God applies the term "firstfruits" to the 144,000 as well.

Simply saying, "Jesus is the firstfruits of the Church, not 144,000 Jewish men," does not answer that question.
Revelation still uses the term for the 144,000.

So the issue is not whether the 144,000 replace Christ as firstfruits. They obviously do not.
The issue is what the designation "firstfruits" means when applied to them and what harvest, if any, they anticipate.
That conclusion must come from the text, not merely from the fact that Christ is called the firstfruits elsewhere.
 
Didn't Paul tell us?

Don't get mad for me using A.I. to put my thoughts into view in a format that you can understand:


The 144,000 of Revelation 14:4 slot into Paul's framework as the first portion of the "those who belong to Him" that 1 Corinthians 15:23 promises at Christ's coming. Here's how the layers stack:

Paul's order (1 Cor 15:20–23):
  1. Christ — the supreme firstfruits, raised from the dead
  2. Those who belong to Him — raised "when He comes"
Revelation 14:4 adds a sub-layer within that second group:



The 144,000 (12 tribes × 12,000) are the initial sheaf of the tribulation harvest — the first to be publicly identified as redeemed, standing with the Lamb on Mount Zion before the full harvest of the earth is reaped (Rev 14:14–20). They function the same way the firstfruits offering did in the Mosaic system: a dedicated, blameless pledge guaranteeing that the larger crop to follow shares the same quality.

Key distinctions that keep the equation coherent:

  • Christ is the first firstfruits (1 Cor 15:20). The 144,000 are a second-order firstfruits — firstfruits to the Lamb, not firstfruits in His place.
  • They are not the whole harvest. The term "firstfruits" in both Paul and John carries the implication that a greater harvest follows. The 144,000 are the beginning, not the totality, of the redeemed (cf. Rom 11:16 — "if the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump").
That's a more developed argument, and I appreciate that you're actually trying to connect the texts.
My response would be that you've shown a possible inference, not an explicit statement.

Revelation 14 certainly presents the 144,000 as firstfruits, and firstfruits implies a larger harvest. I don't dispute that.
The question is whether John identifies that larger harvest as a distinct ethnic-Jewish harvest separate from all other redeemed people.

The difficulty is that Revelation 14 never says, "The 144,000 are the firstfruits of ethnic Israel's future harvest." That is being inferred from their identity in Revelation 7 and the symbolism of firstfruits.

Likewise, 1 Corinthians 15 gives the order: Christ first, then those who are Christ's at His coming.
Paul does not subdivide that resurrection into a Church harvest and a separate Jewish harvest.
To establish that distinction, you need more than the word firstfruits.

So I understand the argument.
I just don't think the conclusion is demanded by the text.
It's a theological model built from connecting several passages rather than an explicit statement of Scripture.
 
Didn't Paul tell us?

Don't get mad for me using A.I. to put my thoughts into view in a format that you can understand:


The 144,000 of Revelation 14:4 slot into Paul's framework as the first portion of the "those who belong to Him" that 1 Corinthians 15:23 promises at Christ's coming. Here's how the layers stack:

Paul's order (1 Cor 15:20–23):
  1. Christ — the supreme firstfruits, raised from the dead
  2. Those who belong to Him — raised "when He comes"
Revelation 14:4 adds a sub-layer within that second group:



The 144,000 (12 tribes × 12,000) are the initial sheaf of the tribulation harvest — the first to be publicly identified as redeemed, standing with the Lamb on Mount Zion before the full harvest of the earth is reaped (Rev 14:14–20). They function the same way the firstfruits offering did in the Mosaic system: a dedicated, blameless pledge guaranteeing that the larger crop to follow shares the same quality.

Key distinctions that keep the equation coherent:

  • Christ is the first firstfruits (1 Cor 15:20). The 144,000 are a second-order firstfruits — firstfruits to the Lamb, not firstfruits in His place.
  • They are not the whole harvest. The term "firstfruits" in both Paul and John carries the implication that a greater harvest follows. The 144,000 are the beginning, not the totality, of the redeemed (cf. Rom 11:16 — "if the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump").

@OMC , here is how I see the rest of it unfolding...

The Bible tells us that all kinds of signs and wonders are going to happen during the Great Tribulation period.

I believe that the 144,000 who have first been redeemed from the earth will stand in Jerusalem as witnesses for God/Jesus to proclaim the gospel to the rest of the world. They may even represent one of the two witnesses who's bodies lay dead in the streets and God/Jesus raises it/them after 3 days to be a shock and astonishment to the whole world.

I have always pondered the idea that the two witnesses are one representing the people of Israel and the Old Testament and the other one representing Christians and the New Testament.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ThereRoseaLamb
That's a more developed argument, and I appreciate that you're actually trying to connect the texts.
My response would be that you've shown a possible inference, not an explicit statement.

Revelation 14 certainly presents the 144,000 as firstfruits, and firstfruits implies a larger harvest. I don't dispute that.
The question is whether John identifies that larger harvest as a distinct ethnic-Jewish harvest separate from all other redeemed people.

The difficulty is that Revelation 14 never says, "The 144,000 are the firstfruits of ethnic Israel's future harvest." That is being inferred from their identity in Revelation 7 and the symbolism of firstfruits.

Likewise, 1 Corinthians 15 gives the order: Christ first, then those who are Christ's at His coming.
Paul does not subdivide that resurrection into a Church harvest and a separate Jewish harvest.
To establish that distinction, you need more than the word firstfruits.

So I understand the argument.
I just don't think the conclusion is demanded by the text.
It's a theological model built from connecting several passages rather than an explicit statement of Scripture.

Here's the thing, OMC, not everything that's written in the Bible is written "explicitly". We have to piece it all together.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ThereRoseaLamb
I agree that Christ is the firstfruits of the resurrection harvest.
That is explicitly stated in 1 Corinthians 15.

But Revelation 14 also explicitly calls the 144,000 "firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb."
Therefore, the question is not whether Christ is the firstfruits of the Church.
The question is why God applies the term "firstfruits" to the 144,000 as well.

Simply saying, "Jesus is the firstfruits of the Church, not 144,000 Jewish men," does not answer that question.
Revelation still uses the term for the 144,000.

So the issue is not whether the 144,000 replace Christ as firstfruits. They obviously do not.
The issue is what the designation "firstfruits" means when applied to them and what harvest, if any, they anticipate.
That conclusion must come from the text, not merely from the fact that Christ is called the firstfruits elsewhere.
You just relented there are 2 separate gatherings.
 
here is how I see the rest of it unfolding...

The Bible tells us that all kinds of signs and wonders are going to happen during the Great Tribulation period.

I believe that the 144,000 who have first been redeemed from the earth will stand in Jerusalem as witnesses for God/Jesus to proclaim the gospel to the rest of the world. They may even represent one of the two witnesses who's bodies lay dead in the streets and God/Jesus raises it/them after 3 days to be a shock and astonishment to the whole world.

I have always pondered the idea that the two witnesses are one representing the people of Israel and the Old Testament and the other one representing Christians and the New Testament.
That's certainly a possible interpretation, but it goes beyond what the text explicitly says.

Revelation 11 describes the two witnesses as two olive trees and two lampstands, and many have suggested they represent corporate bodies rather than merely two individuals.
Your idea of one witness representing Israel/Old Testament testimony and the other representing the Church/New Testament testimony fits that symbolic approach.

However, the text never directly identifies the 144,000 with either of the two witnesses.
Nor does it explicitly say the two witnesses symbolize Israel and the Church.

What we can say from the text is that the 144,000 are sealed from the tribes of Israel (Rev. 7), are called firstfruits (Rev. 14:4), and that the two witnesses bear powerful testimony during the tribulation (Rev. 11).
The specific connection between those groups remains an inference rather than an explicit statement.

So I wouldn't say your view is impossible.
I would simply categorize it as a prophetic model built from connecting several passages rather than something Revelation plainly states.
 
You just relented there are 2 separate gatherings.
No, I relented no such thing.

A "gathering" and a "harvest" are not automatically the same category.

I acknowledged what the text explicitly says: Christ is called firstfruits, and the 144,000 are called firstfruits.
Those are two biblical facts.

What I have not conceded is your conclusion that this requires two separate end-time gatherings or resurrection programs.

If anything, your argument still has to show why the use of "firstfruits" for the 144,000 demands a distinct gathering rather than identifying them as the first portion of a larger harvest associated with Christ's coming.

In other words, I agree there are two groups called firstfruits in different passages.
I do not agree that this automatically proves two separate eschatological gatherings.
That is the very point under debate.
 
That's a more developed argument, and I appreciate that you're actually trying to connect the texts.
My response would be that you've shown a possible inference, not an explicit statement.

Revelation 14 certainly presents the 144,000 as firstfruits, and firstfruits implies a larger harvest. I don't dispute that.
The question is whether John identifies that larger harvest as a distinct ethnic-Jewish harvest separate from all other redeemed people.

The difficulty is that Revelation 14 never says, "The 144,000 are the firstfruits of ethnic Israel's future harvest." That is being inferred from their identity in Revelation 7 and the symbolism of firstfruits.

Likewise, 1 Corinthians 15 gives the order: Christ first, then those who are Christ's at His coming.
Paul does not subdivide that resurrection into a Church harvest and a separate Jewish harvest.
To establish that distinction, you need more than the word firstfruits.

So I understand the argument.
I just don't think the conclusion is demanded by the text.
It's a theological model built from connecting several passages rather than an explicit statement of Scripture.
The Bible states where the 144,000 come from, what they are, and who they are.

In no way are they firstfruitscof tge Church.
But they PRECEDE A GATHERING, and that gathering has to be jewish.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ThereRoseaLamb
The Bible states where the 144,000 come from, what they are, and who they are.

In no way are they firstfruitscof tge Church.
But they PRECEDE A GATHERING, and that gathering has to be jewish.
I agree with part of that and disagree with part of it.

I agree the 144,000 are not the Church. Revelation 7 explicitly identifies them as Israelites from the tribes listed.

I also agree that "firstfruits" implies a larger harvest follows.

Where I disagree is the word "has to."
The text says the 144,000 are firstfruits.
The text says they are Israelites.
What the text does not explicitly say is that the larger harvest must therefore be exclusively Jewish.

In fact, immediately after the sealing of the 144,000, John sees "a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues" (Rev. 7:9).
So the nearest harvest imagery in the context is international, not merely ethnic Jewish.

Therefore, the existence of a Jewish firstfruits company is explicit.
The conclusion that the harvest which follows is exclusively Jewish is the point that still requires proof from the text rather than assumption.
 
I will be in and out of doctors offices today so it will take longer for me to respond. Please be patient and I will respond when I can.
 
That's certainly a possible interpretation, but it goes beyond what the text explicitly says.

Revelation 11 describes the two witnesses as two olive trees and two lampstands, and many have suggested they represent corporate bodies rather than merely two individuals.

Again, the two olive trees (Israel/Jews) and the two lampstands (Christians) who are currently working as the light of the world for God/Jesus.