Romans 14:22

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2009
14,479
182
63
When I first read this scripture, it was a bit puzzling.
Then in context, more was understood. :)
But now, as scripture to teach , guide and help us in understanding of faith and justification.
Much more has been given in Jesus, Gods grace, and faith.

But as always, I want to hear the understanding that you have recieved in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
As confermation is important to me always in Jesus.
Simply because, this scripture can be tricky, and must be recieved and lived not for flesh, but for Gods glory.

Romans 14:22-23

24: So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.
Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves.
23: But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat.
Because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Please share what is the message being given to us by this scripture, both in that day, and applied to us in this day.

God bless :)
pickles
 
But Pickles!!!!!
it says that whatever I believe about these things to keep between myself and God

:eek:
 
This explains why we know we are forgiven our trespasses.

This is why when I call Jesus, Yeshua, and when I call the Father, Yahweh, I know it is all just fine with Him.

This is why when others call the Lord, Jesus, and Yahweh, God, they know it is just fine with our Father.

This is the freedom given by our Savior. It is not license to willfully sin, to willfully judge others to condemnation but it is freedom to be allowed to know what is right for yourself in the sight of Yahweh with a clean conscience.

Isn't our Lord wonderful. Has He not given us priceless gifts, amen!?

Thank you, Pickles for this wonderful post, and I hope to learn a lot from the responses. God bless you.
 
Last edited:
But Pickles!!!!!
it says that whatever I believe about these things to keep between myself and God

:eek:
You know, that same thought passed through my mind when posting this, but then, its not about the spacific things approved. :)
But more importantly, how we are to apply this scripture. :)

God bless :)
pickles
 
This explains why we know we are forgiven our trespasses.

This is why when I call Jesus, Yeshua, and when I call the Father, Yahweh, I know it is all just fine with Him.

This is why when others call the Lord, Jesus, and Yahweh, God, they know it is just fine with our Father.

This is the freedom given by our Savior. It is not license to willfully sin, to willfully judge others to condemnation but it is freedom to be allowed to know what is right for yourself in the sight of Yahweh with a clean conscience.

Isn't our Lord wonderful. Has He not given us priceless gifts, amen!?

Thank you, Pickles for this wonderful post, and I hope to learn a lot from the responses. God bless you.

Faith is amazing isnt it, thankyou for your confermation. :)
But I do see an important message in this post when it comes to all we speak to in faith and word here. :)
Does this scripture bring more to all scripture and its message when we are concerned about what can be wrong? :)
And how we often speak so much about it?

God bless
:)
pickles
 
Well, Im off to get some sleep, I look forward to more posts tomorrow. :)

God bless :)
pickles
 
For the longest time here in the forum, others would have a fit for my using the Hebrew names, not realizing just how ridiculous it is to insist on using Jesus. They know it is alright to call Him Jesus, but they cannot say with exactitude others should not call Him Yeshua. So, if they feel it is wrong, but there is no teaching on the subject, and if it does not harm, why all the fuss? Everyone who truly believes Yeshua by the name Jesus is my true family, as are those who prefer Yeshua.

Many of the threads here fall into this enormous category which you have shed light upon. Simply put, if a thought or learning cannot be taught to others from the Word or with the authority of the Holy Spirit, it is most obedient and loving in the sight of our Father to keep it between yourself and the Father. There is much room for elaboration on my response here.[
QUOTE=pickles;939658]Faith is amazing isnt it, thankyou for your confermation. :)
But I do see an important message in this post when it comes to all we speak to in faith and word here. :)
Does this scripture bring more to all scripture and its message when we are concerned about what can be wrong? :)
And how we often speak so much about it?

God bless
:)
pickles[/QUOTE]
 
I agree, we do need to keep some things to ourselves and God, not so much that what is held in faith may be wrong for ones self, but more because some things as this scripture speaks to, must be kept between one and God, lest it may cause another to stumble.
The message this scripture has shown me though, is that we do have to trust all , and this is the compleat all, to God Our Father and His glory.
Because even though we may not always be perfect, we have He who is perfect in us, and God's glory, power and love will not fail us, when we in faith give all to Him.
But this message also tells us that our doubts, condemn us, the question I put forth here, is it that God condemns us because of doubt?
Or is it the doubt itself that condemns us, because we lack faith?

God bless:)
pickles
 
Thats OK then, you can be quiet. :rolleyes: :)

God bless
pickles

Dang it. Womans reverse psychology...ok fine I'll tell

To me this means above the Lords commands we also each have certain individual convictions.
Vegetarians for example
I once had a boss who was 7th day adventist and didn't eat meat.
I asked him about this personal conviction and his reason was that the body is a temple of God.
Yet in my mind Im thinking how does he reconcile that being the reason when we were told after the flood that God had made all things clean to eat.
Another for instance would be a personal conviction of myself that I dont like to wear shirts or clothing advertising alcohol like Jim Beam Tshirts or whatever.
Because my feeling is that I would be glorifying alcohol consumption.
Yet I wouldnt judge another brother for wearing a Coors light Tshirt its just my own personal conviction and would be kinda nit picky in correcting someone on something that isnt really laid out very clearly in the scripture.
Theres certain areas as a Christian witness that are grey and not so black and white.

Romans 5:1 ties in with this
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God
through our Lord Jesus Christ.

For instance at times there may even be exeptions when were called upon by God for something such as when when David ate the consecrated bread or Jesus teaching on the sabbath.
The main thing is knowing what we do in our actions and behavior is by faith, led by God or it can be sin if we are acting upon our own assumptions or even worse by walking around trying to figure things out without knowing one way or the other.
Being led by God in faith justifies not sin mind you, but that what we believe and what we do within our convictions is judged righteously by God through proper motives of our heart.
 
I have often pondered that when adam and eve disobeyed God, was the sin the just the act of disobedience, or also that they saw themselves as accused and condemned that brought death?
But just my thoughts on this.

God bless
pickles
 
Dang it. Womans reverse psychology...ok fine I'll tell

To me this means above the Lords commands we also each have certain individual convictions.
Vegetarians for example
I once had a boss who was 7th day adventist and didn't eat meat.
I asked him about this personal conviction and his reason was that the body is a temple of God.
Yet in my mind Im thinking how does he reconcile that being the reason when we were told after the flood that God had made all things clean to eat.
Another for instance would be a personal conviction of myself that I dont like to wear shirts or clothing advertising alcohol like Jim Beam Tshirts or whatever.
Because my feeling is that I would be glorifying alcohol consumption.
Yet I wouldnt judge another brother for wearing a Coors light Tshirt its just my own personal conviction and would be kinda nit picky in correcting someone on something that isnt really laid out very clearly in the scripture.
Theres certain areas as a Christian witness that are grey and not so black and white.

Romans 5:1 ties in with this
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God
through our Lord Jesus Christ.

For instance at times there may even be exeptions when were called upon by God for something such as when when David ate the consecrated bread or Jesus teaching on the sabbath.
The main thing is knowing what we do in our actions and behavior is by faith, led by God or it can be sin if we are acting upon our own assumptions or even worse by walking around trying to figure things out without knowing one way or the other.
Being led by God in faith justifies not sin mind you, but that what we believe and what we do within our convictions is judged righteously by God through proper motives of our heart.

One might conclude by this as why the scriptures speak to the law as bringing death.
Then why Jesus fullfilled the law, so we may know life through Him.

God bless :)
pickles
 
In regard to our relationship with God, anything which proceeds from doubt is sin. This lesson is just what it is saying, and there is nothing hidden. There are times when any of us will have a doubt, and when we do, taking it in prayer to the Father settles all, for then we may keep whatever it may be in our hearts until one day it is revealed, or, it never is. Remember just about everything we know here and have here is destined for the fire next time. Blessed be our God and Savior, always in Jesus Christ's name, amen.
I agree, we do need to keep some things to ourselves and God, not so much that what is held in faith may be wrong for ones self, but more because some things as this scripture speaks to, must be kept between one and God, lest it may cause another to stumble.
The message this scripture has shown me though, is that we do have to trust all , and this is the compleat all, to God Our Father and His glory.
Because even though we may not always be perfect, we have He who is perfect in us, and God's glory, power and love will not fail us, when we in faith give all to Him.
But this message also tells us that our doubts, condemn us, the question I put forth here, is it that God condemns us because of doubt?
Or is it the doubt itself that condemns us, because we lack faith?

God bless:)
pickles
 
I forgot to add, :)
There are many things that for one, may be that which they do not do, simply because it will be a stumbling block for them.
Even though it is not seen as wrong.
Just as for another, what they do is not a stumbling block, even though for another it will be, so one should keep from pressing such upon that person, and keep such to themself and God.

God bless :)
pickles
 
OK, I have to sgn off now, if Im going to do any gardening tomorrow, I need sleep!

God bless you both and thankyou. :)
pickles
 
Could you show me where it says the Law brings death.
I havent read that yet, only wrath.
God bless

One might conclude by this as why the scriptures speak to the law as bringing death.
Then why Jesus fullfilled the law, so we may know life through Him.

God bless :)
pickles
 
Lets look at another version. This scripture is from the Holman Christian Standard Bible.

22 Do you have a conviction? Keep it to yourself before God. The man who does not condemn himself by what he approves is blessed.

23 But whoever doubts stands condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from a conviction, and everything that is not from a conviction is sin.


There are several versions of the bible. I prefer the HCSB Study Bible. I am convicted that this is OK.
At Church we use the "ESV". To me that is fine also. I carry the "ESV" to church and use it so I don't cause any problems with other folks. I also read the "ESV" through out the day. I am convicted that what ever version I use the Holy Spirit will intervene on my behalf. The key here is "convicted in my heart, with peace"

On the other hand my daughterinlaw is "King James" and King James only.
Soooo..Do I use the HCSB and cause prolems when we talk. NO. She is convicted to use the King James Bible. If I insist on using the HCSB then our entire discussion is shadowed in the wrong version frustration. The discussion is doomed from the start. If I convince my daughter in law to use the HCSB and her heart isn't in it. Do I make her sin? (23 But whoever doubts stands condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from a conviction, and everything that is not from a conviction is sin.)
 
The apostle Paul, advises the congregation to set aside all causes of contention and to live in harmony with one another. His appeal is for them to do the things that build up one another spiritually, instead of finding fault or, on the other hand, stubbornly insisting on a personal right-the things that tear down others. See Romans. 14:19. Paul recommends that they work so that all can “attain to the oneness in the faith and in the accurate knowledge of the Son of God, to a full-grown man, to the measure of stature that belongs to the fullness of the Christ,” and “by love grow up in all things into him who is the head, Christ.” Then they can join together unitedly and, with real force and effectiveness, bring the message of salvation to mankind.-Ephesians 4:13, 15.

Those who have come to a knowledge of the truth are the work of God. They are “God’s field under cultivation, God’s building.” (1 Corinthians. 3:9) No Christian be so disrespectful and destructive as to tear this work down. The apostle admonishes: “Stop tearing down the work of God just for the sake of food. Through Jesus, the Mosaic law regarding clean and unclean things was abolished. Read Romans 14:20, 21. As an example, to take a course contrary to one’s conscience, or by trying to force our preferred way on another, we may tear down all the good work that God’s spirit has accomplished with that person, even though we ourselves do not realize the damage that we are doing. Compare 1 Corinthians 3:17.

The conclusion to draw, then, is this: “The faith that you have, have it in accord with yourself in the sight of God.” (Romans 14:22) The faith here mentioned has reference to the subject under discussion. Obviously, it does not mean faith in the kingdom of God and the important things in connection with it, for this faith is to be proclaimed openly to all. (Matthew 28:19, 20) Paul refers to the faith that a Christian has that Christ’s sacrifice has freed us from former restrictions, such as eating certain foods and observing certain days—things that are not the real elements of the kingdom of God, but are now simply matters of personal preference or opinion. (Galatians. 4:8-11) So the counsel is, “Do not force your opinion on others.” If you know that there is a question in the minds of some as to the rightness of a certain thing that you know is not wrong, you should not seek to overpower them, or make a display of your own “freedom.”
 
(24: So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.
Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves.)

Just a note. This is referring to freedom and maturity in Christ. NOT SIN.