Sabbath Obligation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 22, 2020
When I first came to the truth of the Bible and realized that we need to obey God's will to
be saved, one of the things that I was unsure of, until I searched the scriptures, was whether or
not I needed to keep the Sabbath day or not. As I knew it was something God commanded the Israelites
to keep. But was it something Christians needed to?

Scripture makes it clear that Christians do not have to keep the Sabbath.

Colossians 2:16
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of
an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:"

From Ellicott's commentary on Colossians 2:16
"It is obvious that St. Paul gives no hint of any succession of the Lord's Day to be,
in any strict sense, a "Christian Sabbath." We know, indeed, that the Jewish Sabbath itself
lingered in the Church, as having a kind of sacredness, kept sometimes as a fast, sometimes
as a festival. But its observance was not of obligation. No man was to "judge" others in respect of it."

In the book of Acts in chapter 21 verse 25, Paul is speaking on things regarding the customs of the Jews,
and what, if any, should the gentiles keep.
"As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no
such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered
to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication."

If the Sabbath was something to be kept under the new covenant,
I believe it would have been mentioned here.

Mark 2:23-28
"And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his
disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said
unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful? And he said
unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they
that were with him? How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high
priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and
gave also to them which were with him? And he said unto them, The sabbath was
made for man, and not man for the sabbath: therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath."

Those that are in Christ under grace through faith are not under the Law
neither the commandments of Moses. Though I will say, besides the Sabbath commandment, the other 9 commandments
are taught (some indirectly) in the New Testament.

Romans 6:14
"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Ok, let no man judge you, but our Father will.

What makes anyone who reads the Word, ALL of the Word, think we are not fellow heirs with Israel.

What makes anyone believe the New Jerusalem is not the City of our Lord?

When you are able to show where our Savior rescinded the Seventh Day as the Sabbath of the Lord, then I will consider this folly, until then do not teach against even thle
last of the commandments, or you will be eternally least in the Kingdom.

Jan 17, 2020
Keeping the Sabbath involves not heating your house or using lights or cooking when it's 20-. This helps understand it's not for the worldwide Church today but was geared to the mild climate of OT times.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As our Lord has taught, do not apply any law or commandment without faith, mercy, and justice.
Now if you are adding to my posting that I "keep" the Sabbath, you are doing just that because it is an accusation of keeping the law as given by Moses.

I have posted here and time and again, we obey the law as taught by Jesus-Yeshua.

If anyone wish to twist that to mean something other than being saved by grace he is a judge and not family.

Now, I believe the Father Who created all in six days and rested on the Seventh day. I believe He gave that day as a gift to all to share in rest with Him as a shadow of what we will be living forevermore with Him come th eKingdom. But all who wish, twist that.

Apr 15, 2017
When I first came to the truth of the Bible and realized that we need to obey God's will to
be saved, one of the things that I was unsure of, until I searched the scriptures, was whether or
not I needed to keep the Sabbath day or not. As I knew it was something God commanded the Israelites
to keep. But was it something Christians needed to?

Scripture makes it clear that Christians do not have to keep the Sabbath.

Colossians 2:16
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of
an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:"

From Ellicott's commentary on Colossians 2:16
"It is obvious that St. Paul gives no hint of any succession of the Lord's Day to be,
in any strict sense, a "Christian Sabbath." We know, indeed, that the Jewish Sabbath itself
lingered in the Church, as having a kind of sacredness, kept sometimes as a fast, sometimes
as a festival. But its observance was not of obligation. No man was to "judge" others in respect of it."

In the book of Acts in chapter 21 verse 25, Paul is speaking on things regarding the customs of the Jews,
and what, if any, should the gentiles keep.
"As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no
such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered
to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication."

If the Sabbath was something to be kept under the new covenant,
I believe it would have been mentioned here.

Mark 2:23-28
"And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his
disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said
unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful? And he said
unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they
that were with him? How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high
priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and
gave also to them which were with him? And he said unto them, The sabbath was
made for man, and not man for the sabbath: therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath."

Those that are in Christ under grace through faith are not under the Law
neither the commandments of Moses. Though I will say, besides the Sabbath commandment, the other 9 commandments
are taught (some indirectly) in the New Testament.

Romans 6:14
"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."
Paul said that we do not void out the law through faith, but we establish the law, and the law is spiritual, holy, just, and good, the moral laws, laws of love.

Which the 2 greatest commandments are love God, and love people, and love is the fulfilling of the law.

Which the 10 commandments are laws of love towards God and people, so they are to be obeyed.

Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
Isa 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Luk 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The creation of this earth is a physical sabbath, but Jesus went away to prepare a place for the saints, and when a person receives the Spirit the kingdom of God is within them, and it is a spiritual sabbath, a spiritual rest by the Holy Spirit.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
Eph 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man(Jew, Gentile), so making peace.

Jesus took the physical ordinances of Israel out of the way nailing them to His cross for they were contrary to us for they had no bearing on spiritual salvation, so let no person judge you telling you to keep the physical ordinances for they were a shadow of things to come, but when a person receives the Spirit they are part of the body of Christ which is spiritual.

Apr 22, 2020
Ok, let no man judge you, but our Father will.

What makes anyone who reads the Word, ALL of the Word, think we are not fellow heirs with Israel.

What makes anyone believe the New Jerusalem is not the City of our Lord?

When you are able to show where our Savior rescinded the Seventh Day as the Sabbath of the Lord, then I will consider this folly, until then do not teach against even thle
last of the commandments, or you will be eternally least in the Kingdom.
"We ought to obey God rather than men."

I will continue to teach sound doctrine. The word of God makes it clear that we are no longer under the law neither the 10 commandments as I proved with God given scripture in my first post. That doesn't mean we aren't under the "law of liberty" and
required to live moral and righteous lives through obedience unto God's will. They that continue on willfully sinning after being forgiven through Christ's sacrifice, there are a few scriptures for you:

Hberews 10;16-29 KJB
"26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"

Jun 10, 2019
Hmm interesting should all the Saturday or Sunday services be closed?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The letter to the Colossians was written to respond to false teachers telling them it was wrong to celebrate. They were teaching not to taste, touch, or handle. They were teaching these were physical things and only spiritual things were to be obeyed.

Paul told them these ideas came from men, not God. They were to set their mind on what God taught not what men taught. God teaches to be joyful and celebrate. God made the Sabbath and the feasts. Paul wrote that if you been raised with the Messiah you will set your mind on what is from God, and not follow these false men telling that we are not to feast, handle, or touch.

Mar 28, 2016
Keeping the Sabbath involves not heating your house or using lights or cooking when it's 20-. This helps understand it's not for the worldwide Church today but was geared to the mild climate of OT times.
How did you come to that conclusion ?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
"We ought to obey God rather than men."

I will continue to teach sound doctrine. The word of God makes it clear that we are no longer under the law neither the 10 commandments as I proved with God given scripture in my first post. That doesn't mean we aren't under the "law of liberty" and
required to live moral and righteous lives through obedience unto God's will. They that continue on willfully sinning after being forgiven through Christ's sacrifice, there are a few scriptures for you:

Hberews 10;16-29 KJB
"26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"
Do not add to nor take away from the Word of God. Jesus-Yeshua teaches in Matthew we are not to teach against the least of the laws He has given us that comply with faith, justice and mercy.. Perhaps some divide the Word as understood the word, divide, today, but they certainly are not learning all of it. At least not all pertaining to how our Savior teaches the New Testament. Do not simply pick out a few phrases when John and Jesus have said we should obey the commandments in the Epistles of John and in Revelation , but always we should Obey the Father knowing we are saved by grace.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Hmm interesting should all the Saturday or Sunday services be closed?
We are to worship God constantly. Day One through Day Seven are all worthy of coming together to worship. Day Seven though, is special because the Father gave it to me and to you as a gift of rest to share with Him. If a lw does not contain mercy, justice and faith, you may ignore it< Jesus says so.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
We are to worship God constantly. Day One through Day Seven are all worthy of coming together to worship. Day Seven though, is special because the Father gave it to me and to you as a gift of rest to share with Him. If a lw does not contain mercy, justice and faith, you may ignore it< Jesus says so.
Scripture tells us all days are not the same. Christ is in all times, every day but we are given special days. Part of the creation of the earth was the creation of a seventh day that had a special added blessing. God worked at creation for six days and rested on the seventh, we are to do the same. we are told to treat that day in a special way for it is Holy. That is the way it was created. As in Colossians 2:20, we have died to the forces of the world, to what men say about the world and follow Christ. That is following scripture to do what it tells us to do, not what men tell us to do.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Responding to the title only, the Sabbath is never an obligation for the faithful, it is a joy, and of course, praise to our Maker, enjoy, enjoy.

Mar 28, 2016
If you really keep the Sabbath and not work the system, no fire allowed on Saturday.

What sabbath is that? Its a day set a side to do the lords work getting the gospel out. Not a day to suffer the cold elements.

Jan 17, 2020
What sabbath is that? Its a day set a side to do the lords work getting the gospel out. Not a day to suffer the cold elements.
There is no Sabbath in the NT. It's called the Lord's Day.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
There is no Sabbath in the NT. It's called the Lord's Day.
According to Yeshua-Jesus we are to apply the principles of justice, mercy, and faith to the law when looking to understand and apply it. To not have a fire on the Sabbath does not go along with the law at all, however it does go along with traditions added by men.

Jan 17, 2020
According to Yeshua-Jesus we are to apply the principles of justice, mercy, and faith to the law when looking to understand and apply it. To not have a fire on the Sabbath does not go along with the law at all, however it does go along with traditions added by men.
Working the system a tad?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
If you really keep the Sabbath and not work the system, no fire allowed on Saturday.
Amen! If Sabbath keeping was still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). So no kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Every man must remain in his place on the sabbath (Exodus 16:29). No trading (Amos 8:5). No marketing (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19). These were commanded by God to Israel under the Old Covenant. (Exodus 35:1)

If the seventh day Sabbath is still in affect, then why do not the Sabbatarians seek to obey ALL that the LORD commanded? How can a Sabbatarians keep a certain law when he keeps only part of it? If the Sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the Sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people. Who is going to enforce that?

Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel that is not binding on the Church/Christians under the New Covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Here is the problem, so many today who believe the law is dead are a new law, other than the new Testament to themselves.

These people still view the law through the eyes of Pharisees and not through the eyes of Jesus-Yeshua. In other words they yet see the law with that noxious veil of Moses, unable to look upon its glorious Origin, our Father. They only see what the Pharisees see.