Sabbath or Sunday which one is for the true followers of Chirst?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JosephIsrael
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
My own understanding is that the sabbath was meant for us, not for the Lord. We need a day's rest, and if we have to work on the your sabbath, then we find another day in the week to get our rest.

Not exactly...

Exo 34:21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing (read ploughing here) time and in harvest thou shalt rest.
 
Hello All,

I used to be a Seventh Day Sabbath keeper from about 1985 to 1997. I attended a church at the time called Worldwide Church of God which taught it was required of Christians.

The whole issue can be reduced significantly to this question: are Christians under the Old Covenant, or the New Covenant? The Old Covenant was made between God and the ancient nation of Israel. The New Covenant is with the Christian and God.

Colossians 2:16, written to Gentiles, says the following:

Colossians 2:16-17[SUP]16 [/SUP]Therefore do not let anyone judge you with respect to food or drink, or in the matter of a feast, new moon, or Sabbath days— [SUP]17 [/SUP]these are only the shadow of the things to come, but the reality is Christ!

Why worship the shadow if you have the reality, which is Christ? The Sabbath was symbolic of the spiritual rest Christians enjoy in Jesus Christ.

Regards,

Robert

Swallowed Tkachism hook, line and sinker, huh? Jesus is your Sabbath eh? Nevermind that it is a shadow of the coming Millenium, the seventh day of God's plan. Oh yeah, Joe and Mike have changed that to going to heaven, haven't they? In spite of this...

Joh 13:33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

So just a few years ago, they tossed the last vestige out when they renamed it GCI and jettisoned the name. I left that sinking ship in 1995 and never looked back.
 
Last edited:
Sometimes I cannot get my rest on my sabbath because I have responsibilities that require I work. So what do I do? What I do is this: For the next two days, I require myself to come home and rest after I get off work. What else can I do?
The priests, Levites, gatekeepers and probably some more could not and did not keep Sabbath because of their responsibilities. What did they do? I believe they took another full day off but I could be wrong.
You do have a choice to rest for a full day don't you?
 
Hello All,

I used to be a Seventh Day Sabbath keeper from about 1985 to 1997. I attended a church at the time called Worldwide Church of God which taught it was required of Christians.

The whole issue can be reduced significantly to this question: are Christians under the Old Covenant, or the New Covenant? The Old Covenant was made between God and the ancient nation of Israel. The New Covenant is with the Christian and God.

Colossians 2:16, written to Gentiles, says the following:

Colossians 2:16-17[SUP]16 [/SUP]Therefore do not let anyone judge you with respect to food or drink, or in the matter of a feast, new moon, or Sabbath days— [SUP]17 [/SUP]these are only the shadow of the things to come, but the reality is Christ!

Why worship the shadow if you have the reality, which is Christ? The Sabbath was symbolic of the spiritual rest Christians enjoy in Jesus Christ.

Regards,

Robert
You are right saying the Colossians was written to gentiles. They were dead in their sins not knowing nor following the words of God, Then they were made alive in Christ, were accepted as His people and came to understand the goodness of His commandments. Their family and friends who were yet to come to the Lord would question their sudden change of life style and why they gave up things they used to believe based on human tradition and basic principles of this world which included false humility, the worship of angels and many do's and don'ts. That was Colossians chapter 2 about.
 
acts 20 is not a sunday worship service
6And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread(which people say they did away with his sabbaths),
and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days.
7And upon the first day of the week(just after dark, sabbath just ended)),
when the disciples came together to break bread(breaking bread is not a religious service, its eating a meal),
Paul preached unto them(continuing from sabbath), ready to depart on the morrow(leaving in the morning light);
and continued his speech until midnight.after comotition from upstairs they finished ther dinner.
13And we went before to ship, and sailed(pauls companions working on sunday) unto Assos, there intending to take in Paul:
for so had he appointed, minding himself to go afoot(walked ten miles-on sunday, straight to a port,his shipmates sailed 50 miles around penisula).
 
why would it matter what day we gather together on?

are we still under the Law?

we have been freed from such trivial matters, by the blood of Christ.

do not return to the ways of your fathers, but press forward in righteousness,
not by pursuing the law written for the Israelites alone,
but in pursuing the law of love, which is written on the heart.

do not let any man condemn you for what holy days (holidays) or Sabbaths, or lunar festivals you observe.
Christ is the Lord of the Sabbath, and He alone IS the Sabbath for His people.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bookends
why would it matter what day we gather together on?

are we still under the Law?

we have been freed from such trivial matters, by the blood of Christ.

do not return to the ways of your fathers, but press forward in righteousness,
not by pursuing the law written for the Israelites alone,
but in pursuing the law of love, which is written on the heart.

do not let any man condemn you for what holy days (holidays) or Sabbaths, or lunar festivals you observe.
Christ is the Lord of the Sabbath, and He alone IS the Sabbath for His people.

If it is up to us it does not matter but it is not up to us...

Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Only God can make time holy and only God has the authority to set aside a certain day to worship Him on and only God has the authority to tell us HOW to worship Him.

The lesson of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Adam and Eve chose to determine good and evil for themselves by taking of that tree. Problem is that man cannot discern good and evil...

Jer 10:23 O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
 
I have struggled with this for years. It is not as simple as some people want to think.

Jesus went to worship on Saturday. Plain and simple, no one can argue that. I have read on some comments on here that Constatine changed the worship day to Sunday for Christians to prevent stumbling blocks for new converts, well, I don't agree with that at all. He might have changed the day, but it was because the Jews were being victimized and the Catholic church wanted to put as much distance in between Christians and the Jews as they could. Changing the day fit into that scheme perfectly.

Anyway, God for see's everything. In the Bible it states it does not matter what day you worship on. Paul wrote that part and I don't have time to look it up, check out Bible Hub. Some people have to work all weekend, and can only go to worship services on Tuesday or Wednesday, etc.

Each and every Christian has to ask themselves what day does God want me to worship. There is no argument that the Sabbath is Saturday or that Jesus worshipped on Saturday. And there is no argument that man changed the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday. I worship on Sunday, when I get the change I go to worship on Saturday also. Why not, it gives me an extra day to gather with Christians and worship the Lord.

Does it matter what day you worship? NO! Does it matter if you put down other Christians for the day they worship? You better believe it matters. We are to encourage each other and support each other in everything we do that is glorifying to God.
 
Whoa, the Testament and the Law are two different things.

Again, how many iterations will Christ go through before He gets it right? If He didn't get the first one right, how can anyone have any confidence in any that follow?

Christ's NT contains Christ's law and Christ's NT would come into effect after Christ died.
 
I wonder how many anti-Sabbath people have actually tried keeping the Sabbath?
Neither Saturday nor Sunday are [the] Christian Sabbath.
Christians do not have a Sabbath. However, they are under instruction to work six days and the seventh day is a rest.
 
I wonder how many anti-Sabbath people have actually tried keeping the Sabbath?
I don't agree that's something one should try and see if it fits or adultery, as an example, would not be considered a sin.
I know for a fact that some here has actually tried. Some continue on and some don't.
There will always be two sides whether or not one considers we are the same family.
 
Christ's NT contains Christ's law and Christ's NT would come into effect after Christ died.
And which law He speaks about does not originate from the scripture and not raise to a higher level including the remembrance of the Sabbath?
 
Well we are not under ritual Law but the commandments still stand , what the operation of the fruits of the Spirit prevents is the breaking of the commandments now what is the cause of murder ? Or stealing ? Or adultery ? Or even fornication ? ,if one trully operates in the Spirit there would be no infractions ,idolatry and other god worship is a big no no , now let's look at the sabbath it was blessed by God and made Holy , that says it all it should be sabbath worship to God not Sunday not just to service but to preach to spend time with one another , family time with the family God has given us through Christ , so is this Evil? I would say it is acceptable as the Holy ghost is in agreement , if today your hear His voice don't be stubborn as in the day of provocation , thebrightfull sabbath is not as mosetic Lawn but as Christ has ordained.
 
Ever looked into Col 2:14? Or are you just repeating what someone told you?

I'll defer to Dr. Robert Thiel on this one...

What Does Colossians 2:14 Really Say?

It is of interest to note that the expression "the handwriting of requirements" is a Greek legal term that signifies the penalty which a lawbreaker had to pay--through Jesus the penalty was wiped out ("the handwriting of requirements"), not the law! "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them" (Heb 10:16).

Even Protestant commentators realize this. Notice what Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible states about Colossians 2:14:

Whatever was in force against us is taken out of the way. He has obtained for us a legal discharge from the hand-writing of ordinances, which was against us (v. 14), which may be understood,

1. Of that obligation to punishment in which consists the guilt of sin. The curse of the law is the hand-writing against us, like the hand-writing on Belshazzar's wall. Cursed is every one who continues not in every thing. This was a hand-writing which was against us, and contrary to us; for it threatened our eternal ruin. This was removed when he redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us, Gal 3:13. (from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: New Modern Edition, Electronic Database. Copyright (c) 1991 by Hendrickson Publishers, Inc.).

Some will argue that you still cannot keep the ten commandments (for "all have sinned"), even if they are all mentioned as being in effect after the crucifixion. Does this mean one should not try?

Furthermore, let's look at another translation:

14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross (Colossians 2:14, NASB)

The handwriting of requirements (often also called the hand-writing of ordinances) or certificate of debt was wiped away and nailed to the cross.

Which requirements were wiped out?

Please understand that the expression "the handwriting of requirements" (cheirógrafon toís dógmasin) is a Greek legal expression that signifies the penalty which a lawbreaker had to pay--it does not signify the laws that are to be obeyed--only the penalty. It is only through the acceptance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that the penalty was wiped out ("the handwriting of requirements"). But only the penalty, not the law!


Now Hebrews 10:9...

Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

What is the context here? What did He take away?

Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
Heb 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
Heb 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
Heb 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

The subject is animal sacrifices. Let's read on...

Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
Heb 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
Heb 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Heb 10:8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

Now read verse 9...

Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Now let's read verse 10...

Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

The subject is the replacing of animal sacirifces with the perfect sacrifice of Christ.

To lift verse 9 out of context and put your own meaning on it is akin to doing this...

Mat 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
Joh 13:27 And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

Do you recommend that someone go and hang themselves quickly, based on the above passages lifted out of context? You are doing the same thing with Heb 10:9

So much wresting of scripture. How can this guy be a "Dr" yet get something so simple so wrong?

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;


Col 2:14 "handwriting of ordinances" refers to the law of Moses, those ordinances written by the Lord Ex 24:12.
That law of Moses was against the Gentiles, Eph 2:11ff.

In the context of the Colossian epistle, Paul is dealing with what is termed by many as the "Colossian Heresy"***. There were those trying to lead the Colossians astray "through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." v8.

Col 2:11-13, those Gentile Colossians had not been circumcised in the flesh but had been circumcised spiritually. Part of this false teaching of v8 had to do with false Judaizing teachers saying the Gentiles could not be saved unless they were circumcised according to the law of Moses, see Acts 15:1,2. "Implying that they did not need, as the Judaizers taught, the outward rite of circumcision, since they had already the inward spiritual reality of it." JFB Commentary on Col 2:11.


In Col 2:16 Paul points out Christians are not under any Jewish dietary laws or the Jewish observance of certain, particular days.

Paul's point to these Colossians was that OT law of Moses had been blotted out, took out of the way and no longer in effect. Therefore do not be led astray by the false Judiazing teachers trying to bind the law of Moses upon you.

Paul may have been suggesting this: over the course of one’s mature life, he has progressively sinned. These sins existed (in the Colossian context) in relation to a “bond written in ordinances” (cf. Ephesians 2:15), namely the Jewish law. By implication, of course, there was an extension in principle to that law to which Gentiles were subject as well (Romans 2:12-15; see Moule 1977, 106). That law, if it was to effect human justification, required perfect obedience. As Paul said elsewhere: “Cursed is every one who continues not in all things that are written in the book of the law, to do them” (Galatians 3:10). Since no one could keep the law perfectly, all were condemned thereby. In discussing this matter, E.F. Harrison described the law of Moses as the “full documentation” of sin (1971, 62).

Moreover, that legal system had no ultimate remedy for sin. It had only the sacrifices of animals, which could not atone for evil permanently (Hebrews 10:1-4). Thus, as long as the former regime stood, there was no hope of total redemption. Christ, therefore, completely canceled that “bond” by his death upon the cross; we are therefore not judged by that standard today (Colossians 2:16).
https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/23-law-of-moses-some-metaphors-considered-the
Wayne Jackson




***Colossian Heresy


PURPOSE OF THE EPISTLE: Paul had received a report of the situation
at Colosse by way of Epaphras (1:7-8). This report was for the most
part favorable (2:5). But the subject matter in the epistle strongly
suggests that the church was facing a two-fold danger:

* The danger of relapse into paganism with its gross immorality (cf.
1:21-23; 2:6; 3:5-11)

* The danger of accepting what has been come to known as "The Colossian heresy". This heresy was a syncretism involving four elements of both pagan and Jewish origin:

* Philosophies of men - which denied the all sufficiency and
pre-eminence of Christ (2:8)
* Judaistic ceremonialism - which attached special significance
to the rite of circumcision, food regulations, and observance
of special days (2:11,16-17)

* Angel worship - which detracted from the uniqueness of Christ
(2:18)

* Asceticism - which called for harsh treatment of the body as
the means to control its lusts (2:20-23)

Colossians Introduction - A Study Guide by Mark A. Copeland
 
Last edited:
I don't agree that's something one should try and see if it fits or adultery, as an example, would not be considered a sin.
I know for a fact that some here has actually tried. Some continue on and some don't.
There will always be two sides whether or not one considers we are the same family.

There's a difference though, in trying something God tells you to do, as opposed to trying something He tells you NOT to do.

And I agree that there will always be 2 sides of the fence on this one. But I think it would benefit those who are anti-Sabbath to at least be somewhat familiar with what they are arguing against.

I know LT observed the Sabbath for a few weeks. As best as I can recall, there wasn't a big revelation for Him with it. I respect Him for at least giving it a shot.

I also know that not everyone is at the same point in their relationship with God. There are things He has laid on people's heart to walk in obedience to, while at the same time there are things He hasn't. I don't have a problem with that at all. However, I do have a hard time with blanket judgments against the Sabbath, especially when they haven't even given it a shot.
 
Paul's point to these Colossians was that OT law of Moses had been blotted out, took out of the way and no longer in effect. Therefore do not be led astray by the false Judiazing teachers trying to bind the law of Moses upon you.

Bass,

If this is true, then why did Jesus tell His disciples to follow the Law until heaven and earth passed away?
 
There's a difference though, in trying something God tells you to do, as opposed to trying something He tells you NOT to do.

And I agree that there will always be 2 sides of the fence on this one. But I think it would benefit those who are anti-Sabbath to at least be somewhat familiar with what they are arguing against.

I know LT observed the Sabbath for a few weeks. As best as I can recall, there wasn't a big revelation for Him with it. I respect Him for at least giving it a shot.

I also know that not everyone is at the same point in their relationship with God. There are things He has laid on people's heart to walk in obedience to, while at the same time there are things He hasn't. I don't have a problem with that at all. However, I do have a hard time with blanket judgments against the Sabbath, especially when they haven't even given it a shot.
I guess the difference is trying something and "see" if God really tells us to do.
Trying to observe Sabbath and see if there's any revelation is no difference from trying not to commit murder and see if there's any blessing.
Yes I know LT tried but I don't know (or I could have missed) what he thinks.
Yet my point is, it's seldom what we think that matters to Him.
We seldom consider curses which might be, or have already been, on us.
We always consider ourselves free in North America, not realizing we are but slaves to idols in our heart or in the society.
We, who consider ourselves in Christ, are in reality not too different from those who considered themselves the children of Abraham, if we do not listen to what He says or worse, twist what He says.