Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
When we look at Hebrews 4 we are informed that the word Sabbath simply means rest. It is not a time sensitive word in which many translations have added meaning to the word in a attempt of making into a time sensitive word .

Today as along as today is today any time we hear the word of God and do not harden our hearts we have entered His Sabbath as resting from our own works .

The ceremonial law as the new era of Sabbaths which is celebrated on the first day of the week is a day we do nor have to do our regular work in order to maintain the life of the flesh. It is a day set aside that we can brining the gospel as the kind of fast the disciples knew not of. A day set aside to go out I unto the world in a hope God would feed those who hunger and thirst for a righteousness not of their own self as we offer his gospel . The kind of food ,doing the will of our father and finishing it the kind of food the disciples knew not of .The true fast found in Isaiah 58 .
Well, there's one Christian source that contained an interesting article concerning Sabbath for Christians. If I find the link in my tab saves I'll post it.
They said that in today's world when a Christian typically work six days, that taking a seventh day as Sabbath rest so as to meditate and pray and share time in the spirit, can be any day after those six of labor. Because it is the spirit of the individual Christian that matters in that the Sabbath being created for us, we in our time with God can find the time while surviving ourselves still in the world. It isn't like at the judgment God is going to look at the Sabbath keeping Christian and say to them, "Off to the abyss with you! You took one day and meditated on my word, prayed, and rested in me and in furthering our relationship! That's just wrong!"

The Sabbath is God's Sabbath made for us that we keep it holy. If we go to church on Sunday, though that is purposefully not on Sabbath day and is of pagan origin, that is still what amounts to the same thing as Sabbath in nature and spirit. One cannot condemn Sabbath for Christians and uphold Sunday church for Christians. An then Wednesday for Bible study, or whatever.
When Sabbath day keepers do so to honor God on the day God's ancient textual word says was made for them, they cannot then be chastised by Sun's day keepers being its ancient history is man made and pagan.

If there is a day to be argued that should not be revered in the name of God, given its history, it is Sunday worship. If we want to keep it "by the book".

New Covenant Proof
Today, there is a widespread belief that the Sabbath of the 4th commandment is no longer binding under the new covenant. But what you are about to read is Bible PROOF that the seventh day sabbath IS still binding today.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
An attempt to sound pious but not sound doctrine.

Ro 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

The law is bondage not the liberty that belongs to those in Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

If you believe someone is attempting to be pious by accepting the free gift of the Sabbath directly fromteh Father, I pity your understanding of what the Sabbath of the Lord is and symolizes.

Call me what you will, but a gift is made to be received ot to be in bndage, pitiful

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Your lack of wisdom is painfully evident.

Ro 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Ro 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

Though a Gentile is not under the law the Gentile knows that murder is wrong as is lying. Sin was in the world before the law. Adam sinned ever before there was the law or the ten commandments.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Skimming through the thread I see you often open your replies with insults. Perhaps you believe in your heart you are qualified to announce these pronunciations to the world, however Jesus tells us to "Judge for yourself what is right." You are judging for all when you make such an announcement and proclaim the faults of others. Do you not realize you are to judge for YOURSELF? I am sorry you have this knack, seemingly to yourself that is.

May God bless you with some of that wisdom you do not see in others.

Mar 28, 2016
Well, there's one Christian source that contained an interesting article concerning Sabbath for Christians. If I find the link in my tab saves I'll post it.
They said that in today's world when a Christian typically work six days, that taking a seventh day as Sabbath rest so as to meditate and pray and share time in the spirit, can be any day after those six of labor. Because it is the spirit of the individual Christian that matters in that the Sabbath being created for us, we in our time with God can find the time while surviving ourselves still in the world. It isn't like at the judgment God is going to look at the Sabbath keeping Christian and say to them, "Off to the abyss with you! You took one day and meditated on my word, prayed, and rested in me and in furthering our relationship! That's just wrong!"

The Sabbath is God's Sabbath made for us that we keep it holy. If we go to church on Sunday, though that is purposefully not on Sabbath day and is of pagan origin, that is still what amounts to the same thing as Sabbath in nature and spirit. One cannot condemn Sabbath for Christians and uphold Sunday church for Christians. An then Wednesday for Bible study, or whatever.
When Sabbath day keepers do so to honor God on the day God's ancient textual word says was made for them, they cannot then be chastised by Sun's day keepers being its ancient history is man made and pagan.

If there is a day to be argued that should not be revered in the name of God, given its history, it is Sunday worship. If we want to keep it "by the book".

New Covenant Proof
Today, there is a widespread belief that the Sabbath of the 4th commandment is no longer binding under the new covenant. But what you are about to read is Bible PROOF that the seventh day sabbath IS still binding today.

Two kinds of Sabbaths, ceremonial, and non ceremonial as our daily bread or as long as today is today. twenty fours hours in a day, all day everyday. (Hebrew 4 )

Yes Sunday, the new era of ceremonial Sabbaths

Non ceremonial Sabbaths. Anytime we do not harden our hearts as long as today is today, having mixed faith (Hebrews 4) as that which comes from hearing God in whatsoever we do hear or say we have entered His Sabbath ,

Changing the word rest (Sabaath ) into a time sensitive word assigning it one specific day and restricted it from any day we hear His voice destroys the purpose for the non ceremonial laws (shadows) . and therefore violate the warning in Deuteronomy 4. Do not add to a word anther meaning. In doing so it can change the original intent of the author God. like the word apostl , some use it to represent a time period adding meaning to the word. using the rest word (Sabbath) and translating it, first day of the week. Taking away the meaning of the new era of sabbath, forn from the last to the first day .The day God said let their be lightas the Youngs literal translates it

Matthew 28 King James Version In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher.

Matthew 28 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulcher,

The ceremonial law is a shadow of the eternal rest we will receive in the new heavens and earth. It was set up on the last day of the week. Six days a week was the normal working period for the Jews, On the seventh day having prepared manna to be eaten on the first day seeing on that day none would be found .

That manna which literally means ; "What is it?" (no familiarity) is called the hidden manna in the book of Revelation represented what is called mixing faith or sharing the work of God .You could say it was the kind of food Christ said the disciples knew not of .Which is doing the will of our father in heaven as he works in us to both will and do His good pleasure . A day set aside that we could offer the gospel as the true fast .A day when we can be sure we will be heard on high. The kind of fast (gospel) the disciples knew not of and therefore could not cast out the demons.

Today with many it has turned out to be a day for sign seeker or what Jesus called a evil generation, natural unconverted man (no faith) or what some sign gifts used to confirm to their own selves that they are being filled with the Holy Spirit like a person fills their gas tank on a car. Therefore not walking by faith or sharing the gospel with those without. Not mixing faith but hardening their hearts not receiving the Sabbath rest from their own works of the flesh (Hebrew 4 again)

True fasting is according to the parable (Isiah 58). Therefore giving us the unseen spiritual understanding hid from natural man, as the hidden manna , the food the disciples knew not of.

Note.... (purple in parenthesis) my comment

“Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the descendants of Jacob their sins. For day after day they seek me out; they seem eager to know my ways, as if they were a nation that does what is right
and has not forsaken the commands of its God.They ask me for just decisions and seem eager for God to come near them. ‘Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and you have not seen it, Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed? (sign seekers) ’“Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please and exploit all your workers. Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. (wrestles against flesh and blood) You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high.Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for people to humble themselves? Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed and for lying in sackcloth and ashes? Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the Lord? Hebrew 58:1-5

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry ( a metaphor for mixing or sharing faith brining the gospel again the kind of food the disciples knew not of))and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter( a metaphor for mixing or sharing faith brining the gospel the city of refuge)—when you see the naked, to clothe them, ( a metaphor for clothing others with the righteousness of Christ, the gospel ) and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood. Then your light (light of the gospel) will break forth like the dawn,and your healing will quickly appear;then your righteousness (our imputed righteousness) will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. Hebrew 58: 6:-9

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
No, they're moral commandments that pertain to personal ethics and worship.
And they can be kept by human understanding. At least I'd hope a Christian grandpa would know that.
I do not murder. I do not steal. I do not commit adultery.

There were 613 Mitzvah or laws of God. The ceremonial laws no longer apply being Jesus was the last blood sacrifice for the sins of the world.
The civil laws pertained to the Hebrew culture and do not apply. The moral laws , or personal ethics and worship commands are part of what is expected to be upheld by a civil society today, regardless of faith.

The first commandment should be known by every Christian and upheld.
Galatians 3:10-12
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

2 Corinthians 3:7-9
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Do you understand any of this or just ignore it?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Galatians 3:10-12
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

2 Corinthians 3:7-9
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Do you understand any of this or just ignore it?
:) There's nothing quite so weak as someone who engages in discussion with another while implying that one is not intelligent enough to keep up.
There is nothing quite so obvious as that which contains an abusive predisposition when they resort to such behavior.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
:) There's nothing quite so weak as someone who engages in discussion with another while implying that one is not intelligent enough to keep up.
There is nothing quite so obvious as that which contains an abusive predisposition when they resort to such behavior.
The scriptures aren't about intelligence.

They are about revelation.

If you think it is so easy to keep the law, as you previously implied, then you need to keep reading and try to get one.

Ephesians 1:16-23
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Tit 1:15 "Unto the pure all tings are pure, but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure, but even their mind and conscience is defiled." But if one keeps the Sabbath or even the other commandments of the law to escape the curse of the law or to work for righteousness; it is as filthy rages and a stench to the Lord's nostrils. For without faith it is impossible to please him. If you can rest on the Sabbath to seek the Lord, without doing it from fear of the curse or to earn righteousness; and able to maintain a clear conscience; then enjoy!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
sabbath is a sign between God & Israel:

Tell the Israelites, 'Surely you must observe My sabbaths, for this will be a sign between Me and you for the generations to come, so that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.'
(Exodus 31:13)
It is a sign between Me and the Israelites forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, but on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.
(Exodus 31:17)
I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
(Ezekiel 20:12)
Keep My sabbaths holy, and they will be a sign between us, so that you may know that I am the LORD your God.
(Exodus 20:20)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
sabbath is a sign between God & Israel:

Tell the Israelites, 'Surely you must observe My sabbaths, for this will be a sign between Me and you for the generations to come, so that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.'
(Exodus 31:13)
It is a sign between Me and the Israelites forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, but on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.
(Exodus 31:17)
I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
(Ezekiel 20:12)
Keep My sabbaths holy, and they will be a sign between us, so that you may know that I am the LORD your God.
(Exodus 20:20)
three things are given in the passages above to be remembered and made known by the sign:

• it is the LORD who sanctifies
  • the LORD rested from His work
  • He is the LORD God

in another place a 4th thing to be remembered and made known by this sign is given:

You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
(Deuteronomy 5:15)

that He redeemed from slavery with might and power

recall when He did this, and they were pressed against the sea:

The LORD will fight for you while you keep silent.
(Exodus 14:14)

put all this together, remembering that it is a sign. that it is a shadow and the substance is Christ ((re: Colossians 2:16-17))

• He sanctifies
  • He completes His work
  • He is God
  • He redeems

seeing that it was given as a sign of a covenant with the nation Israel, and that it is a shadow of the good things that were to come, and that Christ is the body of which it testifies, what is it we should be reminded of, and should remember, and which we should 'keep holy' i.e. 'preserve as set apart' ?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
If you believe someone is attempting to be pious by accepting the free gift of the Sabbath directly fromteh Father, I pity your understanding of what the Sabbath of the Lord is and symolizes.

Call me what you will, but a gift is made to be received ot to be in bndage, pitiful
Skimming through the thread I see you often open your replies with insults. Perhaps you believe in your heart you are qualified to announce these pronunciations to the world, however Jesus tells us to "Judge for yourself what is right." You are judging for all when you make such an announcement and proclaim the faults of others. Do you not realize you are to judge for YOURSELF? I am sorry you have this knack, seemingly to yourself that is.

May God bless you with some of that wisdom you do not see in others.
I have a low tolerance level for absurd posts. Pretending does not result in real value. It takes effort to separate the wheat from the chaff. Judging doctrine is what we need to do and God has given us His word to make the judgment. We are to judge righteous judgments.

It is absurd to tell Gentiles they must or even ought to observe Sabbath. Most Jews do not really observe Sabbath properly.

I hope you are the real deal and not just pretending to be wheat.

The natural branch was broken off and now must be grafted back into the vine just as the Gentiles are graft in.

Liberty in Christ is very difficult for those who have been long laboring under the bondage of the law. Religion is very difficult to put off to walk in liberty that the Holy Spirit gives in Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
seeing that it was given as a sign of a covenant with the nation Israel, and that it is a shadow of the good things that were to come, and that Christ is the body of which it testifies, what is it we should be reminded of, and should remember, and which we should 'keep holy' i.e. 'preserve as set apart' ?
here in another place we learn something about another sign given for another covenant:

For circumcision is indeed profitable if you keep the law; but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision? And will not the physically uncircumcised, if he fulfills the law, judge you who, even with your written code and circumcision, are a transgressor of the law? For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.
(Romans 2:25-29)

outwardly, physically keeping the sign of the Abrahamic covenant, without inwardly keeping it, is worthless -- and the ones who do not outwardly have it but who inwardly fulfill the righteousness of it stand.
it seems ((to me)) that the shadow without the substance is of no effect, but the substance even without the shadow is counted as holy.

from this i conclude ((post's opinion)) that it is not so much the sign but what it is a sign of that matters: is outward H2O baptism useful if it means nothing or means the wrong thing to the person being baptized? what about the Lord's supper? i see the reproach written 1 Corinthians 11:20, and this word:

You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too
(1 Corinthians 10:21)

so i think, whatever outward keeping of the sign of the sabbath is made, if it does not include these things:

• He sanctifies
  • He completes His work
  • He is God
  • He redeems

then is it of any value? if i have a shadow but no substance what am i? what am i if i have a body and no shadow?
a sign on a highway pointing is useful because it provides information, but if you don't take the exit, the sign does nothing more than tell you you've missed your turn. if you know the road, maybe you don't even look at the sign, and maybe you find the way with no sign at all.

just post's thoughts.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
It is indeed. The fourth commandment in the list of the 10 moral commands of God. :) If we're not to keep the Sabbath as some argue, are we to steal then? Is it OK to murder then? Ignoring those commands as some would argue we are to ignore the 4th?
Since the old covenant has been made obsolete to "put legally into place" the new covenant (2 Corinthians 3:6-9; Hebrews 8:6-13) does this leave us with no moral direction? Absolutely not. The life of discipleship flows out of the new command to love one another as He loved us (John 13:34), which Paul refers to as the "law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2). Love fulfills the law (Romans 13:8-10). Out of this single command comes other commands, including references for the moral aspect of 9 of the 10 commandments which are reiterated under the new covenant, yet the command to keep the Sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Actually, that would be good news for me if I fully understood that. I can't see how it is even possible to keep the Sabbath holy in this day and age. Even then, I wouldn't understand how to keep it holy let alone actually do it. You wrote a though provoking post that may be helpful to me and for that I am grateful.
How is it you don't understand that the Sabbath day is to be observed different from every day ? 6 days we can do what WE want to do but on the Sabbath we are to spend time in fellowship with the Father and Son.. Why is that hard to understand and do ?

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Love fulfills the commandments of God...not an external observance (unless it is done by love). The OT legalism has been done away with by having an eternal life...a real connection to God. So we mustn't continue to act as if God was not present among us.

If a person, however, chooses to observe a day as more holy than the others (which is not the case any more)..let them, but without judging others who do not...and vice versa.

The shadow must give way to the new reality. The sabbath rest is a spiritual entering into Christ. From there we cease from our dead works and take up the work of God through the Spirit so that it is God working through us. In this way we become co-labourers with the Lord. This has always been the purpose of the sabbath....to stop concentrating on this world and LOOK UP. A person who walks in the Spirit is doing this continuously. So then the spiritual walk trumps the sabbath rest in that we are walking in Zion through Christ who is our rest....continuously. Something continuous trumps something sporadic the same way a smooth running engine is an improvement over an engine that coughs and sputters but never runs properly.

The old sabbath holiness law was to the flesh and the power of the natural man. The sabbath rest of Christ (which is continuous) is for the new man...one that walks in resurrection power.

Mar 28, 2016
No, they're moral commandments that pertain to personal ethics and worship.
And they can be kept by human understanding. At least I'd hope a Christian grandpa would know that.
I do not murder. I do not steal. I do not commit adultery.
They are moral commandments that pertain to personal ethics and worship as "ceremonial laws"... shadows of the good thing to come in the new heavens and earth. Therefore because they are shadows we are not to judge one anohter as if they were not.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,Colosians2:16-18

We know they are shadows because of the two rendering of the ten commandments as to the reasons (bolded) used as a parable .Moral laws by which we can evaluate each other do not give different reasons.

The shadow points to the Sabbath in Creation in the Exodus account and on the last day entering the promised land in the Deuteronomy account using Egypt to represent the rest we do have from the bondage of the god of this world typified as the Pharaoh and us entering the promised land the new heavens and earth or new heavenly Jerusalem prepared as Christ's bride the church.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.......Exodus 20:8-11

Again a different reason for rendering the two working as one,

Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.Deuteronomy And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. Deuterononomy .....5:12-15

Mar 28, 2016
Love fulfills the commandments of God...not an external observance (unless it is done by love). The OT legalism has been done away with by having an eternal life...a real connection to God. So we mustn't continue to act as if God was not present among us.

If a person, however, chooses to observe a day as more holy than the others (which is not the case any more)..let them, but without judging others who do not...and vice versa.

The shadow must give way to the new reality. The sabbath rest is a spiritual entering into Christ. From there we cease from our dead works and take up the work of God through the Spirit so that it is God working through us. In this way we become co-labourers with the Lord. This has always been the purpose of the sabbath....to stop concentrating on this world and LOOK UP. A person who walks in the Spirit is doing this continuously. So then the spiritual walk trumps the sabbath rest in that we are walking in Zion through Christ who is our rest....continuously. Something continuous trumps something sporadic the same way a smooth running engine is an improvement over an engine that coughs and sputters but never runs properly.

The old sabbath holiness law was to the flesh and the power of the natural man. The sabbath rest of Christ (which is continuous) is for the new man...one that walks in resurrection power.
I see that a little differently. I believe first of all the word Sabbath (rest) is not a time sensitive word.

The what you call old Sabbath is a ceremonial law (shadow of the eternal not seen) that is still in effect. a day set aside from the regular work as a day we can share our bread as the gospel of Christ with other called the true fast.

The other Sabbath (which is continuous) as long as today is today comes my "mixing faith" in some translations or what is called "share in the faith" (Christ's that works in us to both will and do His good pleasure) of those who obey found in the NIV.

In that way whenever we hear the word of God that works in us if we do not harden our hearts in unbelief. We have in effect entered His Sabbath (Hebrew 4)

7seasrekeyed

How is it you don't understand that the Sabbath day is to be observed different from every day ? 6 days we can do what WE want to do but on the Sabbath we are to spend time in fellowship with the Father and Son.. Why is that hard to understand and do ?

well maybe you simply underscore your own misapplication

how is it that you do not understand that we rest from working for salvation in Christ?

this does not mean we do no works once we believe...this means we cannot earn or keep salvation by what we do

the entire Bible illustrates that yet you Sabbatarians go on and on about what you believe while those who understand our rest in Christ actually understand the scripture you twist to make it say what it actually does NOT say. there is no rest for believing a certain day keeps you saved. you are continually working for your salvation

so don't be incredulous about others. your are the best example of what is not understood with your Sabbath worship

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

New Covenant Proof
The article you've linked here doesn't address the issue anywhere near as convincingly as the title claims.

First, it isn't proof, it's an argument with little evidence. The word "proof" is overused, typically by people who are already convinced of the position they seek to defend. Such is the case here.

Second, the article makes a significant and somewhat humorous oversight, in that it discusses the fact that a covenant only takes place upon the death of the testator and then provides evidence of events taking place before Christ's death... which are irrelevant. The new covenant began at Christ's death, not at Matthew 1:1. Jesus' entire ministry up until His death was under the Mosaic covenant.

Third, the article goes on to argue that Sunday is not the day for worship, which is a distinct issue. Attendance at worship on Sunday is not a violation of Sabbath... in any way. Claiming that Sunday is the Sabbath is erroneous, but that isn't what the article addresses.

Fourth, the biblical evidence for gathering on the first day of the week is completely ignored, and assertions are made in the article regarding "Sunday keeping" which are not supported by evidence.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
I think if people research the materials provided in this and other threads discussing Sabbath they'll soon realize where Sunday day of worship arrived from. As most know Sabbath preceded Moses encounter with God and that issuance of the ten commands. Wherein the 4th command reads, remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. Remember. Huge distinction there as opposed to the notion the Sabbath day was initiated with the 10 commands. We know it preceded them. And God sealed that day. Which would indeed make a different day of worship not appointed by God.

The rest of your post misrepresents what is in the linked article also. Posted here so that there is no mistake.I don't know how someone intends to notate what is in error in an article so easily accessed in order to prove your claims false. Especially in the course of resorting to that in order to deny the validity of a day of worship, God's appointed and sealed Sabbath, as outlined in the linked article. You don't respect the Sabbath of God still stands. OK. So what? You then falsify the contents of a printed article to make your point?

New Covenant Proof
There is already a lot of Bible evidence that shows the seventh day sabbath has never been done away with. But let us look at something from the old and new covenants that actually proves the 7th day Sabbath to still be a binding commandment for us all.
Ok, how was the old covenant ratified (ie, put into force)? If you read Exodus 24:8, you will see that it was through the shed blood of an animal that the old covenant was ratified and put into effect.
Exodus 24:8 ...'And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words.'
Same question with regards to the new covenant. How was it ratified? We all know that the new covenant was ratified and sealed by the blood of Jesus Christ, which Hebrews 10:29 confirms. Now take a look at the following verses:
Hebrews 9:16-17 ...'For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.'
So what is this Bible verse telling us? It is clearly saying that a testament (or covenant) could not go into effect while the testator of that covenant lives. It can only go into effect after the testator dies. And it's the same with a will today. If a man leaves his estate to someone else in a will. The will is not binding until after that man dies. The same applied with the new covenant. It could not go into effect until Jesus Christ had died and sealed it with His blood. Now take a look at the next Bible verse:
Galatians 3:15 ...'Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.'
Do you see what is being said here? Paul confirms that NOTHING can be added or taken awayfrom a covenant once it has been confirmed (ratified). Which means that nothing could be added or taken away from the new covenant that Jesus sealed with His own blood. Again, the example of a man's will explains this too. When a will and testament has been made by someone. Once he has died, nothing can be changed in that will.
Now I have two important questions for you:
1 - Did Jesus change or abolish the 7th day Sabbath during His life?
2 - When was Sunday keeping introduced?
So let's answer these two important questions. Firstly, did Jesus change or abolish the seventh day sabbath during His life and ministry on earth? Well, if we look through the Gospel books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, we will clearly see that there is not a single hint at Christ Jesus changing or abolishing the 7th day sabbath of the 4th commandment. And if the sabbath day WAS going to be changed or abolished, then we can be assured that Jesus WOULD HAVE MENTIONED it, as it was one of the ten commandments.
We actually have the opposite. The New Testament CONFIRMS the sabbath day commandment as still active in Matthew 12:8; Matthew 24:20; Luke 23:56; Acts 16:13.
Now taking the Biblical rule above that NOTHING CAN BE TAKEN AWAY from a covenant, once the testator has died, it means ... The 7th day sabbath is part of the new covenant.
What about Sunday keeping? We all know that this was introduced AFTER the death of Christ Jesus (and NOT by the disciples like so many falsely believe). Therefore it was introduced AFTER the new covenant was sealed by the blood of Christ. And using the Biblical rule above that nothing can be added to the covenant or changed in the covenant, once the testator has died and sealed it, it means ... Sunday keeping CANNOT be part of the new covenant.
Even if you still strongly believe that the disciples changed the Sabbath day, it stillcannot be part of the new covenant, because it was done AFTER the covenant was sealed by the death and blood of Jesus.
"Well, I keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ. There is nothing wrong with that!" ... I hear someone say. Ok, since when has our faith in Christ been about what WE want to do? Show me just one command from the Bible, where Jesus or anyone else says that we should keep the first day of the week in 'honor of the resurrection'. It isn't there. And yet there is a Biblical practice which we do to honor the death and resurrection of Christ, and that is baptism!.
Are we not to obey God rather than man? Are we not to do God's will rather than our own? (Psalm 118:8)
Matthew 5:17-18 ...'Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.'