sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Read in Matthew how Jesus gives us rest in His Teaching as opposed to the heavy burdens weighed upon us by others. He says, come, learn of Me, and I will give you r rest, which has no connection whatsoever with remembering the Sabbath. Nowhere in the Word, Jesus Yeshua, teaches "I am your Sabbath." This is rabbinical teaching of today, that is a docdtrine put as from the Mouth of God by men. Beware my family. All love and blessings in Jesus, Yeshua...j

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Just jot down THE LIST you refer to and post it. It may be long, it may be short. Who knows?
But for pity's sake DONT FORGET ONE! It may put your eternal soul in jeopardy.

Of course, then when you wish to make a point by the Holy Spirit, I suppose you copy and pastse the Bible from Genesis sto the final amen of Revelation. This I recommend all red and learn but to actually paste the entire Bible is not feasible nor profitable.

The quotes to which you refer by OldetheNew are more than sufficient fo the edification of any who are of the Holy Spirit in Christ.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future Sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of keeping the Sabbath day before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. *Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that Sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses.

The word "Sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23 - Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.

God’s Word makes it quite clear that Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel:“The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested” (Exodus 31:16-17).

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the Ten Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding Sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation Israel: “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.” (Deuteronomy 5:15)

By the same token you can't prove without a shadow of a doubt that Sabbath wasn't kept from Adam to Moses.

Part of holy means set apart and God did set apart the seventh day at creation and called it holy.

Just as Cain knew in his heart that killing his brother was wrong which is also one of the 10 commandments there is no reason to not believe that Sabbath wasn't kept during the period you mentioned especially since God set the day apart as sanctified and holy.

What better example is there that God himself kept the first Sabbath at the end of creation week as Exodus explains exactly what God did at the end of creation week.... does it need to be spelled out any plainer to logically understand it? Just wondering.

I am not saying you have to keep it Mailman Dan to be saved I am just saying that God, Adam and Eve kept the first Sabbath day holy together and God has asked us all to do the same in the 10 commandments because all God's people should want to obey God's laws written on stone and our hearts.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on Christians under the New Covenant.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
And i will add to your excellent scripture::

Romans 14: KJV
4 "Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. {5} One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. {6} He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks."

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
From Adam to the writing down of the Word there was oral tradition which maintained those who knew our Father in His light .

As for the meaning of holy, it is not some very mystical word, and it does mean separate, sometimes in the archaic it means peculiar. We are God's "holy" people, we who believe that is.

Our Father has told us that because He si Holy we shall be holy.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
By the same token you can't prove without a shadow of a doubt that Sabbath wasn't kept from Adam to Moses.

Part of holy means set apart and God did set apart the seventh day at creation and called it holy.

Just as Cain knew in his heart that killing his brother was wrong which is also one of the 10 commandments there is no reason to not believe that Sabbath wasn't kept during the period you mentioned especially since God set the day apart as sanctified and holy.

What better example is there that God himself kept the first Sabbath at the end of creation week as Exodus explains exactly what God did at the end of creation week.... does it need to be spelled out any plainer to logically understand it? Just wondering.

I am not saying you have to keep it Mailman Dan to be saved I am just saying that God, Adam and Eve kept the first Sabbath day holy together and God has asked us all to do the same in the 10 commandments because all God's people should want to obey God's laws written on stone and our hearts.
We can be quite sure that the Israelites were not keeping the Sabbath during the enslavement in Egypt. And no mention of law or Sabbaths in connection with Jacob, Joseph and a lot of other notable people, including Abraham.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

I do agree that God blessed the 7th day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made. (Genesis 2:3) Yet can you show me the word "Sabbath" in the book of Genesis and where anyone prior to Exodus 16:23 was told to keep the Sabbath day? The Sabbath was not given to all the nations. It was given to the nation of Israel. Look at Deuteronomy 5:1-15 which gives the commandments to Israel. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.

Nehemiah 9:13 - "Then You came down on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven; You gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments. 14 So You made known to them Your holy sabbath, And laid down for them commandments, statutes and law, Through Your servant Moses." *Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that Sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses.

I'm glad to hear you are not teaching sabbath keeping in order to be saved. Yet there are those who do teach that and end up perverting the gospel by teaching salvation by "grace plus law, faith plus works." Seventh-day Adventists teach the ludicrous doctrine that the near the end of time the "mark of the best" of Revelation 14 will be placed upon those who worship on Sunday instead of Saturday. - http://www.nonsda.org/study8.shtml

Here is a statement below in blue from a former member of Christian Chat who was a Seventh Day Adventist that taught salvation by "grace plus law, faith plus works."

The counterfeit Gospel is out there. What is the other Gospel? It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's Law (10 commandments) from the Cross. It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's 10 commandments from the plan of salvation. God’s Law has always been part of the true Gospel of Christ. The counterfeit Gospel does not have it. God's forever Law (the 10 commandments) is the foundation of both the Old and the New Covenant and the very foundation and basis of the true Gospel of Christ.

Where did God command EVERYONE to keep the Sabbath on the seventh day? If every man from Adam to Moses kept the Sabbath, why is the Hebrew word for the weekly Sabbath found in the Ten Commandments, never found in the book of Genesis? Why is no one before Moses ever being told to keep the Sabbath? Why are there no examples of anyone keeping the Sabbath before Moses? Why were the Patriarchs never instructed about the Sabbath, but were instructed regarding: offerings: Genesis 4:3-4, Altars Genesis 8:20, Priests: Genesis 14:18, Tithes: Genesis 14:20, Circumcision: Genesis 17:10, and Marriage: Genesis 2:24; Genesis 34:9. Why would God leave out the Sabbath command in Genesis if it was for everyone to keep before Moses? Why is there no command in the New Testament for Christians/the Church to keep the Sabbath day? Instead we find (Colossians 2:16-17).

cv5

Nov 20, 2018

We can definitely prove that Sabbath keeping is not required for the gentiles in the NT church. Nor any other codified or oral law that preceded the NT church. New Covenant, new laws. The Law of Christ is this new law.

Act 15

“The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.

“Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls,
it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
“Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth.
“For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials:
that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The word "Sabbath" is not found in the book of Genesis and first appears in Exodus 16:23.
No one before Moses ever being told to keep the Sabbath.
There no examples of anyone keeping the Sabbath before Moses.
Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel. (Exodus 31:16-17)
Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation of Israel: “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm." (Deuteronomy 5:15).
Look at Deuteronomy 5:1-15 which gives the commandments to Israel. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.
Nehemiah 9:13 - "Then You came down on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven; You gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments. 14 So You made known to them Your holy sabbath, And laid down for them commandments, statutes and law, Through Your servant Moses."

That's all the proof I need. ;)

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
The word "Sabbath" is not found in the book of Genesis and first appears in Exodus 16:23.
No one before Moses ever being told to keep the Sabbath.
There no examples of anyone keeping the Sabbath before Moses.
Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel. (Exodus 31:16-17)
Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation of Israel: “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm." (Deuteronomy 5:15).
Look at Deuteronomy 5:1-15 which gives the commandments to Israel. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.
Nehemiah 9:13 - "Then You came down on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven; You gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments. 14 So You made known to them Your holy sabbath, And laid down for them commandments, statutes and law, Through Your servant Moses."

That's all the proof I need. ;)
Totally agree.
If these matters were of paramount importance, they would be stated or at least mentioned, which clearly they are not. The law-keeping/works "church" is operating contrary to the clear teaching of the NT. How anyone can be confused is beyond me.

L

Locoponydirtman

why is the sabbath not been kept by all Christians? I need guidance please
We all do keep the Sabbath. Why would you say we do not. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, and he made it for us not us for it. He gave us a wonderful gift of rest in him, come to him all who are burdened and heavy laden and he will give you rest, his yoke is light and his burden easy.
Just as Mary sat at his feet while Martha toiled away in her necessary work, but Jesus said Mary chose the better part.
It's written remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy. This means remember think on or meditate on or how ever you want to phrase the idea of having in the front of your thoughts, and keep Holy which is separated from everything else. God rested on the Sabbath and so shall you. And this we do; resting in Christ.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel that is not binding on Christians under the New Covenant. *Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Even when Sabbatarians set out to worship on the Sabbath, are they truly "keeping the Sabbath?" To "keep the Sabbath" as it was required in the Old Testament under the Old Covenant would involve compliance with specific regulations (Exodus 16:23; 35:3; Leviticus 23:32; Jeremiah 17:21) that were strictly enforced.

If Sabbath day observances are still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). So no kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Every man must remain in his place on the sabbath (Exodus 16:29). No trading (Amos 8:5). No marketing (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19).

These were commanded by God to Israel (Exodus 35:1).

If the seventh day Sabbath is still in affect, then why do not the Sabbatarians seek to obey ALL that the LORD commanded? How can a person keep a certain law when he keeps only part of it?

If the Sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the Sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people.

Who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church? The Government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the Old Covenant, no Sabbatarian can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Maybe it was to point to Jesus >>>> Jesus is our Sabbath rest.
That could very well be. The truth is, due to my work schedule I really don't keep the Sabbath and I don't fully understand it either or the relevance it may still hold. Just about everything, if not all, in the bible points to Jesus. I just know that I'm tired and look forward to entering His rest one day. The 4th Commandment does say to 'remember' but I am not at all sure what it that I'm suppose to remember exactly. In my life I can say that I have not abided by the Sabbath and possibly to my own detriment. If this commandment is still in effect, and I do believe that it is because of the word 'remember' then I am guilty of breaking it. I'm certainly not in any position to judge those who don't understand or keep it either.

U

UnderGrace

That could very well be. The truth is, due to my work schedule I really don't keep the Sabbath and I don't fully understand it either or the relevance it may still hold. Just about everything, if not all, in the bible points to Jesus. I just know that I'm tired and look forward to entering His rest one day. The 4th Commandment does say to 'remember' but I am not at all sure what it that I'm suppose to remember exactly. In my life I can say that I have not abided by the Sabbath and possibly to my own detriment. If this commandment is still in effect, and I do believe that it is because of the word 'remember' then I am guilty of breaking it. I'm certainly not in any position to judge those who don't understand or keep it either.
Enter into His rest today!! :)

Mar 28, 2016
why is the sabbath not been kept by all Christians? I need guidance please
Which kind of Sabbath? Our daily rest. . that is given to us whenever we do mix faith in what we hear when the Holy Spirit is working in us to both will and do His good pleasure as shown in Hebrews 4. The softening of our hearts.?

Or the ceremonial sabbath as a shadow as something we cannot judge one another in regard to seeing it does not draw us any closer to God then those who do not practice.... getting the gospel out on a day when a person is free to .

U

UnderGrace

If I knew how I could do this I probably would. Right now I feel burned out.
Trying to hard Mr. Tourist, trying to hard

Jesus has it all covered... rest in Him.... you can only rest in another when you stop working for what is already done.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Jesus has it all covered... rest in Him.... you can only rest in another when you stop working for what is already done.
Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

*So here the Sabbath rest is the perpetual rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with Jesus Christ, in contrast to keeping the weekly seventh day Sabbath under the Law. (y)

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
We can be quite sure that the Israelites were not keeping the Sabbath during the enslavement in Egypt. And no mention of law or Sabbaths in connection with Jacob, Joseph and a lot of other notable people, including Abraham.
Which is probably why God said Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.