School Days

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MollyConnor

Football season is here, the leaves are falling off of trees, and another school year is in full swing. The summer heat is gone and a cool crisp air is filling the atmosphere. It's around this time that I look back at my school days...especially those in elementary school where I had the most fun. I'm curious as to how your school days were...so here is a fun questionnaire to fill out. You can omit some of the questions if you don't want to answer them. Have fun!

What year did you start? Did you start in Preschool or Kinder?
I started in the year 1995 as a Kindergartener.

What was your favorite year out of all of them?
I think I had the most fun in 7th grade. I was in band, UIL, tennis, and theater. All of my friends did the same things. It was great.

Did you like your school lunches?
It was a 50/50 thing for me. Some days I liked what they served like chicken nuggets or pizza...other days I did not...like sloppy joe day. :eek:

Who was your favorite teacher and why?
This is a hard one. I had so many great teachers especially in high school. Sadly I lost three of them shortly after graduating. All three of them had cancer. I would have to say Mrs. Martinez was my favorite. Praise God she is still alive! She was my homeroom teacher for fifth grade and taught math. She was a family friend so I knew her for years even before I had her and my mom requested for her to be my teacher. She picked me as her student of the year. ;)

Regular or mechanical pencil?
Regular!

What is something schools taught back then that they don't teach now? Do you think this subject should be brought back?
I know cursive isn't taught anymore. I think it's important for everyone to know how to write in cursive. We need to be able to sign documents. It's kind of a lost art.

Bus, walk, or drop off?
A little bit of all three. As a child I was dropped off and picked up. Then I used the bus in middle school and walked in high school. I lived fairly close to the school in hs.

What extracurriculars were you in?
Band, tennis, and theater in middle school. In high school I did pep squad, Leos Club, and Spanish Club. I was an officer for Spanish Club senior year.

Do you still talk to your friends from school?
Yes. I met my best friend in 11th grade. I keep in touch with some of the others through social media.

Favorite subject?
Science

Favorite snack to take?
Fruit roll ups.

Talk about a fun memory.
In 3rd grade, boys had cooties and we were having none of that! There were two boys in particular that would tease me about my size and skin color. I grew up in a border town so being a light skinned Mexican was not cool. We decided to put on a war. We had two teams. Boys against girls. I remember some of us put "war paint" on our faces with mud. We had sticks and softballs to attack each other. Our "war" didn't last very long because the playground teachers figured out quickly enough what we were doing. Still, it was a lot of fun. I got to punch and scratch one of the boys that teased me. I remember he bled...I'm surprised I wasn't in trouble for that!

Talk about a sad memory.
9/11 happened when I was in 6th grade. I remember the principal made an announcement to cancel all teachings for the day so that we could all stay tuned to the news. Each room had a tv so the teachers turned them onto the news. I was scared and I didn't even know what a terrorist was.

Hardest subject?
Physics! I liked it but it was definitely difficult for me.

In high school what would you usually do after school?
If I didn't have pep squad practice, I would go home to study.

What was your high school crush like? Did you get to date him/her?
He was perfect. He was tall, handsome, and super smart. Even his name is great. I didn't get to date him because I was always really nervous to tell him anything. Kinda sucks because my friend later told me that he liked me. -_-

What year did you graduate? And what was your mascot?
Class of 2008! Mascot was a brahma.

What was a popular movie or movies the year you graduated?
The Dark Knight, Wall-E, Slumdog Millionaire, and Twilight.

Did you fail any courses?

Yes, I failed biology, geography, and Pre-Cal. I just didn't care about my grades back then. I was kinda depressed. Worse off than I am now. I believed in Jesus, but I didn't have a relationship with him. I was able to retake them and graduate on time.

If you could go back and do it all over again, would you?
Yes...I would pay better attention and not skip so much. I know I give a good girl vibe on here...but I would skip a lot every year of high school. I'm surprised I even graduated! :eek:

Any advice for our teens who are still in school?
Listen to your teachers, study, don't overthink, and be friendly to everyone. Be friends to the kid that no one talks to. He/She is dying for someone to approach him/her.

So now it's your turn. Answer the questions and have some fun! If you want, you can add a question yourself to the questionnaire.

G

Galatea

What year did you start?
1984, I was four- Kindergarten

Favorite year?
10th Grade

Did you like school lunches?
Yes

Mrs. May, 10th grade and 12th grade AP Language Arts and World History. She had been a journalist. She and her husband lived in many places in the U.S. before they came back to their home county, and she to her alma mater to teach. She had been to Europe and was cosmopolitan in my eyes. She thought I was a writer and hooked me up with a published writer, trying to encourage me to write books. She gave me a special Writing Award my Senior Year that was created just for me. Previously, students were awarded in Language Arts, History, Science, and Math. Mrs. May was quite special to me, and taught me to "consider the source".

Regular or Mechanical pencil?
Regular

What is something that is not taught now that should be taught?
Spelling

Bus, Walk, or Drop off?
Dropped off and bus

Extracurriculars?
Band, Scholars' Bowl, Scott HI-Q, Newspaper, NHS, Mu Alpha Theta, Ambassadors, Girl Scouts

Do you still talk to high school friends?
Not really, I'll like their stuff on facebook- that's about it.

Favorite Subject?
Language Arts and History

Fun Memory?
Singing and performing in the plays and programs in elementary school. The annual marionette shows were magic to see.

Sad Memory?
In the sixth grade, a classmate was riding a bike and hit by a car and killed.

Hardest Subject?
Calculus

What did you do after school?
Watch Teletubbies which was very soothing and trippy.

Year of Graduation/Mascot?
1997, Shark

Popular Movie?
Titanic

Fail any Courses?
Nerds don't fail courses.

Do it over again?
No, but I would have gone to a different university and gone away from home. No one told me to attend the best university I could enter.

Any advice?
Apply to any and all scholarships. Provided you can get accepted to Stanford or Yale, if your parents' income is low enough, your tuition will be paid. This is HYUGE!!!!!!!

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
I can't remember. I think I was around 5, maybe 1995? Kinder

College lol cause that was when all the fun happened. I ran for student council president but lost lol.

I can't remember.

My algebra teacher. He knew my dad did most of my homework but he was okay with it

I didn't use fancy stuff (mechanical pencil)

What is something schools taught back then that they don't teach now? Do you think this subject should be brought back?
HMMM

Bus, walk, or drop off?
Walk, sometimes dropped off. I once walked home and got lost, got chased by a goose, ended up at a Catholic church, applied holy water on my forehead cuz I was scared and I've seen people use the 'holy water' like that

Student council, School paper, English club, Badminton (won gold on my first year ha!) I was an overachiever lol

No

Favorite subject?
English

Favorite snack to take?
I can't remember

Talk about a fun memory.
Fun.. hmm I once skipped class to watch my crush practice for a modelling event / fashion show, and to think I was class president at the time

Talk about a sad memory.
English teacher had me called by the dean and guidance counselor because she thought I was psychotic. She had a stalker and she thought it was me. Of course it wasn't, turned out to be her old gay friend. Why she thought it was me, was because she said I was always happy and it was suspicious. Go figure.

Hardest subject?
Algebra & Chemistry - curse these things

Go home and study.. like I said, overachiever

I had too many my signature IRL has initials of 5 crushes I remember and no I never even got to talk to them

2008 but I'm studying now, so I will graduate again

I can't remember

No, I was an A student except algebra haha

No, I like my life now lol

Don't quit school, don't do drugs and your parents are right

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
Dont remember.

My junior year (11th grade). I met my best friend who Im still friends with to this day my sophmore year, but it was my junior year that we really came together and everything. We were a group of 3, cuz we met due to a mutual friend. But that friend eventually disappeared and we grew closer together because of it. The most fun Ive ever had has been with him.

When I was younger, yes. I remember looking forward to friday because of pizza day, and tuesday because of pizza pocket day. Those were the best : p My middle school lunches were cool, too. We were finally allowed to pick what we wanted then. Once I got to high school, I stopped eating school lunches altogether.

I have two. One was my orchestra teacher. I had him from 6th grade to 12th grade. He was such a kind man who was good with children. He made cheesy dad jokes and loved what he did, and he had fun with his students. One of my fondest memories of him is when one of my classmates "wrote" a song on a piece of paper, and kept bugging him to play it for the class. And after some time he finally gave in and looked at it, and just mashed random keys on the piano while rolling his eyes playfully : p He was a great teacher.
The other was my study hall teacher, who I had all four years of high school. She helped me with many of my classes, and really put herself out there for me. She worked to help me with school more than any teacher I ever had ever.

Mechanical, its much easier to write with, makes your handwriting look better, and you never have to sharpen it : p

Uhhh dunno, only thing I know of is cursive. Im not as concerned with cursive as much as others are.

Bus, walk, or drop off?
Bus, until high school. I walked to school and back home everyday, it was a 45 minute walk.

Orchestra, and piano classes.

Just the best friend I made, were still friends. I wouldnt want to see many of the people I knew back then.

Favorite subject?

Music and history.

Favorite snack to take?
Never brought my own food : p

Talk about a fun memory.

I have many with my friend. We did alot together back then, we have many movies we made every day after school together, to this day we still quote them as inside jokes. Weve had several other people weve met since high school weve shared them with that really liked them, too.
In one of the films, a character I played had to fight random enemies with a sword. We purposely had my character fight clumsily, and the sound effect we used (which was just scrapping two metal turners together) didnt even always match up with when my character hit enemies with it : p

Talk about a sad memory.
My older brother at the time was very troubled, he often got in trouble with the law and sent to a juvenile detention center for weeks or even months. I remember not wanting to start high school without him, and like a week before we started he was arrested for breaking the law again. I remember that I even cried about it.

Hardest subject?
Math.

Usually my friend and I would go to his house together and make movies, play video games or go to the mall and walk around randomly for a few hours. I also had orchestra rehearsal after school that I went to. I had a violin tutor for a while but I didnt keep up with it.
But, the days that I went straight home, I ALWAYS watched the cartoon Danny Phantom : p I really liked that show at the time.

Mysterious. And no.

2007. Bronco.

Dont remember : p I do remember Star Wars episode 3 came out some time around then, I think?

Not often, I usually passed my classes with a C or so. I wasnt really a good kid then, thought I didnt care about school, only took a few classes seriously.

Yes and no. Other than my best friend at the time, I dont have fond memories of high school. But knowing what I know now, Id take the chance to do the right thing and not make some of the choices I made.

Take this time seriously, it matters more than you might think. You will grow up quicker than you think.
And be careful of what influences you, do not listen to bad people. Dont let peer pressure make your decisions for you. Do the right thing, even if youre looked down by your peers because of it.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I started in Kindergarten. I always thought it was monstrously unfair that some kids came early to eat breakfast at school while I had to eat breakfast at home. I think I didn't understand that their parents had to PAY for that breakfast.

All the years I was homeschooled, from 2nd through 7th grades. It was awesome! Only four hours of school work, PE and recess was all of outdoors with my own toys and Mom had way better field trips than the public school ever had. Who wants to go to boring old city hall when you can go to the Memphis Children's Hands-On Museum?

Meh. It was food. It never was disgusting but it never was awesome. It was just... there.

For some reason every math teacher I ever had would let us eat candy in class... as long as they got a piece too. I don't know what it was about math that math teachers allowed candy, but it was awesome. Not one single history or english teacher would let us eat candy.

Pen. Regular pencils you have to sharpen all the time and the lead in mechanical pencils was always snapping and didn't write very boldly.

Phonics should be taught at all times. My first grade teacher was teaching it before it was popular - in fact she could have been fired for it. But she used it because it worked.

Bus, walk, or drop off?
If it rained, bus. If weather was clear I preferred walking. I mastered walking and reading long before people started staring at their phones all the time. I got a lot of "How do you DO that, don't you run into stuff?" Uh, hello, peripheral vision, duh!

Nada. Socially I was a ghost. I went to school, did the school work but I didn't make any connections or do any sports or band. The kids at school never cared about what I saw adults caring about, and I always took cues from those older than I am, so I didn't bother with anything I didn't have to do.

Nope. Refer to the social ghost comment.

Favorite subject?
Math rocks because it is so logical, precise and self explanatory.

Favorite snack to take?
Pistachios. Once I made a lunch out of a three pound bag of pistachios. I had half-moon shaped bruises under my thumbnails after that, from cracking all those shells.

Talk about a fun memory.
In first grade I was the kid who always fiddle-farted around until the last five minutes, then did all my work in a rush. Not because I was showing off, I just procrastinated. One day I didn't get all the work done in time, so my teacher made me stay after school and do it. I about panicked! The bus is how I get home! But I had to finish my work and then she drove me home herself. That was the last time I procrastinated THAT much - I still put things off but I gave myself a little more leeway to get the work done. The teacher's name was Ms. Harrison and I still think she was the best teacher ever.

Talk about a sad memory.
Didn't really have any school-related sad memories.

Hardest subject?
History. Why should I care about a war that happened four centuries ago on another continent? And if there's no real reason to care about it, how do you expect me to remember what year it was fought and who won?

Walk home reading a book, watch Star Trek: The Next Generation and Robocop. I thought it was awesome that they made a Robocop show and I still think it was awesome.

Never had one.

Class of '97. For some reason our mascot was a devil. I still don't know why.

Beats me. I'm not much for movies.

I failed one history class that I didn't need to pass to graduate. I didn't really set out to fail it, but I didn't really try much.

Nope. I would probably still fail that history class and I already passed everything I needed. And I'd still be a social ghost.

Find somebody older than you who is doing what you think you want to do with your life, and ask him a few questions. You can learn a lot from your elders, but you need to ask the questions before they will know you want the answers. Oh, and all the stuff your peers think is of critical importance doesn't really matter. What hairstyle is popular, who is dating who, what she said about what he said about what she said... all that stuff is meaningless. When you get out in the world you'll have a whole different set of priorities, so you really need to look into what adults think is important NOW so you will have a headstart on all those other people at your school.

Last edited:

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
My senior year was my favorite year, just because of all the fun stuff that was going on for the seniors and it school was finally over.

School lunch was pretty terrible, except for the pizza or chicken strips, and sometime they had cheese sticks.
My favorite teacher was Mr. Chance, because he wasn't critical of students like many of the other teachers were. And we could ask him things and he would teach us, even if it didn't pertain to the class.

I used to walk to elementary. Sometime I would walk or take the bus to middle school, and had to ride the bus in high school because it was about 30 miles from home and the only way to get there was on the highway or the interstate.

I did the choir thing for short time and I was in the FFA(Future Farmers of America) and there was a vocational welding/machine shop course I took.

There's lots of funny memories, my buddies and I were real goofballs.

A sad memory is when a friend died during Christmas break. He was digging out a tunnel and the dirt fell in on top of him.

I see some of my old friends around town every now and then but we don't really know eachother anymore.

I liked history the most, I just found it interesting how nations were formed and why there were wars. I used to catch a lot of grief because I was a Yankee in the south, so knowing what that war was all about helped me to shut up bullies, somewhat.

Anything to do with math was difficult for me, it's like I have OCD with numbers. Hard to explain.

After school I loved biking, but I guess I just lost interest and played video games. And I would always watch That 70s Show when I got home, the stupid things I used like.

My crush was always some girl I knew nothing adout and never talked, except for one but she always had a boyfriend.

I graduated in 07 and the massot was a cougar.

Advice for teens.
Don't worry about fitting in, or boyfriends and girlfriends, popularity in highscool is over before you know it and it's overrated, and you'll probably break up with your partner before long. Wait, because theirs still more to find out about yourself and who you are in this life.
And of course don't do drugs, or have a baby out of wedlock.