Sermon in need of preaching.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I'm not going to post a sermon text. This is a topic, and scripture to support it. The subject is often argued in the BDF and other forums, but I rarely hear it addressed from the pulpit.

Topic: How do I know that I am saved and will go to heaven.

Scripture: Galatians 5:18-26

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Gal 5:25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Question: Am I really saved?

Answers:
1. Are any of the things in verses 19-21 a part of your life? If so "those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God".
2. Do you have the fruit of the Spirit? If not, check your lifestyle.

I'll let you take it from here. There are many people in congregations around the world who think that they are saved and are lost because they don't know how to truly be saved.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
I know 100% that I am saved.... It is declared in the Word

1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The manifestation (not gift) of speaking in tongues (speaking by the spirit) is your assurance in the senses realm that you are born again … saved.

That is one of 12 benefits of speaking in tongues.

I know those of you who have tried endlessly to prove it has ceased ….your efforts are futile … I have heard them all …..they hold no water against the written Word.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
I'm not going to post a sermon text. This is a topic, and scripture to support it. The subject is often argued in the BDF and other forums, but I rarely hear it addressed from the pulpit.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Answers:
1. Are any of the things in verses 19-21 a part of your life? If so "those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God".

I'll let you take it from here. There are many people in congregations around the world who think that they are saved and are lost because they don't know how to truly be saved.
It sounds like a good and important topic to me.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

Answers:

First up, every word of the New Testament, apart from the gospels, is written to those who are saved. We are saved by what Jesus did for us, not by what we do for Him.

Those who are born again have two natures: the flesh and the spirit. As Adam had to choose in Eden, so Christians must choose now. Adam chose the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. That is the wrong choice, as history proves continually. The Christian also has a choice. We can choose to live by studying God's word and trying to put it into practice. Or we can walk in the Spirit. Many will go to meetings, study the Bible, gain knowledge, even get a theological degree or doctorate. Without the Spirit, these things are worse than useless. They promote spiritual pride and legalism.

It is possible for a saved person to go to heaven yet miss out on God's rewards. The law of sowing and reaping applies to believers as well as the unsaved. If a Christian desires to be spiritual, he will have to pay a price. He will have to lay down his own life - all ambitions, self will, the natural life he was born with and take up the cross every day. This sound horrible to the newly saved. In reality, it is the only life worth living. Self lies to us and tells us we can't be happy unless we please ourselves. In reality, we are only content when we are pleasing God.

Christians who quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 against unbelievers are missing the point. Again, that was directed at the saved. There would be much less for the world to attack us with if we preached the gospel to them. It's good news, not a self righteous harangue pointing out individual sins.

Yes, there are many churchgoers who are not saved. They think that because they behave correctly, they have nothing to worry about. Too many preachers do nothing to enlighten them. Such churchgoers have a false hope. As I said, we are not saved by what we do for Jesus, but what He has done for us. Real Christian experience is walking in the light of who Jesus is in us and who we are in Him.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The manifestation (not gift) of speaking in tongues (speaking by the spirit) is your assurance in the senses realm that you are born again … saved.

I know those of you who have tried endlessly to prove it has ceased ….your efforts are futile … I have heard them all …..they hold no water against the written Word.
If you speak in tongues, fine. I've heard a demon speak in tongues. Gifts can be counterfeit; fruit cannot. Paul posed the question: "do all speak in tongues?" The obvious answer is no. You ignore the rest of the Bible. Do you allow yourself to be bitten by a snake? We have plenty in Australia, come on over and help yourself. Do you drink poison to prove that you are saved? Why not? It's just as valid as your argument that speaking in tongues is assurance of salvation.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Personally, with the way most Churches are looking nowadays. the sermon I would begin with is (Rom 15:13) HOPE!!! The fear of Judgment, when most have so much fear is not where I would begin! Jesus taught love, grace and compassion at the beginning. He wanted to give people a reason to love rather than be afraid or hate.

Encourage the people to have need of one another! Rather than look to judge one another. Holy Spirit moves in the Church when love is present, encourage the need for Scripture reading daily, encourage prayer to ask the Lord where I should begin in my walk and finally encourage the need to walk in truth rather than just hear the truth!!(James 1:22)

Jesus represented HOPE!!! Not peril! Most believe in some sort of hell, in fact many think they are living in a part of hell right now, the way the world is going! This would be my suggestion brother. This is what I myself preached upon when being invited to a Church to speak, I saw Holy Spirit moves in great ways through God's Word!!

Also, what is important for you to both know and truly believe in is the following scripture!!( Mark 16:17-20!!! VERSE 20!!! EVERY time I preached the Lord always worked with me to free the people, both by his Word and by the signs which followed! Blessing bro!

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The book of 1 John was written to help believers know that they have eternal life...1 John 5:13. John gives 5 tests, as it were, that are true of those in Christ. See if you can find them.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
IMG_5705.jpeg

"Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
The fear of Judgment, when most have so much fear is not where I would begin! Jesus taught love, grace and compassion at the beginning. He wanted to give people a reason to love rather than be afraid or hate.
This is how Jesus' teaching ministry began:

Mark 1:14-15

"Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel."

Billyd

May 8, 2014
If you are practicing any part of this scripture, are you saved?

What does the red text tell you? Briefly, if you are living in the flesh, you are not saved.

What does it mean to be born again?

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Seeking I was not speaking to the lost, I agree with you, I was speaking to the Church which is supposed to be made up of a body of believers, not the lost.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Most people have no idea where they are going when they die.
They hope that God will approve of their works. Faith in their works leads to hell.
They need to know the truth.
There really is a problem.
Condemnation.
Faith in Jesus the Savior is the solution.

Jesus explained in detail what He meant by Born Again.
"“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
John3:18, 36

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
If you speak in tongues, fine. I've heard a demon speak in tongues. Gifts can be counterfeit; fruit cannot. Paul posed the question: "do all speak in tongues?" The obvious answer is no. You ignore the rest of the Bible. Do you allow yourself to be bitten by a snake? We have plenty in Australia, come on over and help yourself. Do you drink poison to prove that you are saved? Why not? It's just as valid as your argument that speaking in tongues is assurance of salvation.

Deamons cannot speak in tongues because they are not born-again. A person possessed by a devil spirit might be born again, but the devil spirit simulating tongues (by speaking another language) is not …. True speaking in tongues cannot be counterfeited. … But even a person with linguistic abilities can fake tongues…. That doesn’t make it real anymore than the devil spirit.

Seriously …Fruit cannot? ….Any one of the fruit of the spirit can be counterfeited ….It’s not real fruit of the spirit…. but it certainly can be simulated.

As for Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Serpents was an Aramaic idiom for enemy. It could read “they shall handle or overcome the opposition”.

Then the Bible states → IF ….they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them. It doesn’t say we are supposed to anymore than it speaks of venomous snakes. What ignorant people do or have done in the name of religious ceremonies does not speak to glorify God … they have done that to glorify themselves.

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

When you say that tongues is just as valid of an argument…that is not the verse I used ... although it does reflect the truth.

And again …It is not a gift any more than a cell phone is a text message. God specifically states in 1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

But sets in contrast that which was spoken of (diversities of gifts) the manifestation (operation or evidence) OF THE SPIRIT …. speaking of the new birth spirit which we as born-again believers have… is given to EVERY MAN (who is born again) to profit withal.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How do I know that I am saved and will go to heaven.
See Romans 10, the entire chapter. Paul summed it up: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou SHALT be saved, and thy house (Acts 16:31). What you have posted applies to those who have not genuinely repented and continue to live in sin. So when the Gospel is preached, the necessity of repentance must also be preached. Genuine Christians will not habitually sin.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Deamons cannot speak in tongues because they are not born-again. A person possessed by a devil spirit might be born again, but the devil spirit simulating tongues (by speaking another language) is not …. True speaking in tongues cannot be counterfeited. … But even a person with linguistic abilities can fake tongues…. That doesn’t make it real anymore than the devil spirit.

Seriously …Fruit cannot? ….Any one of the fruit of the spirit can be counterfeited ….It’s not real fruit of the spirit…. but it certainly can be simulated.

As for Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Serpents was an Aramaic idiom for enemy. It could read “they shall handle or overcome the opposition”.

Then the Bible states → IF ….they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them. It doesn’t say we are supposed to anymore than it speaks of venomous snakes. What ignorant people do or have done in the name of religious ceremonies does not speak to glorify God … they have done that to glorify themselves.

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

When you say that tongues is just as valid of an argument…that is not the verse I used ... although it does reflect the truth.

And again …It is not a gift any more than a cell phone is a text message. God specifically states in 1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

But sets in contrast that which was spoken of (diversities of gifts) the manifestation (operation or evidence) OF THE SPIRIT …. speaking of the new birth spirit which we as born-again believers have… is given to EVERY MAN (who is born again) to profit withal.
I've had this discussion many times in my 50 years as a Christian. You are taking a couple of verses, out of context, to create your own interpretation. Or you've listened to a cult that promotes the same false teaching.

The Christian is one who has received Christ and so is born again, with eternal life. The evidence for this is not spoeaking in tongues.

1 John 3:14
"We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death." Nothing about tongues there. Some of hardest, most self righteous, legalistic and spiritually proud people I've met are tongues talking pentecostals. My wife speaks in tongues and that's fine. She loves the brethren and that's what I love about her, not that she speaks in tongues. She even, miraculously, loves me.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain

1 CORINTHIANS 12:30

sadly i guess some are not saved as NOT all will speak in Tongues

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
I've had this discussion many times in my 50 years as a Christian. You are taking a couple of verses, out of context, to create your own interpretation. Or you've listened to a cult that promotes the same false teaching.

The Christian is one who has received Christ and so is born again, with eternal life. The evidence for this is not spoeaking in tongues.

1 John 3:14
"We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death." Nothing about tongues there. Some of hardest, most self righteous, legalistic and spiritually proud people I've met are tongues talking pentecostals. My wife speaks in tongues and that's fine. She loves the brethren and that's what I love about her, not that she speaks in tongues. She even, miraculously, loves me.
My cult leader is Jesus Christ ….and the Words that He gave our beloved brethren by revelation.

Truths are truths even sometimes when they are removed from context (which mine was not any more than yours) Let him that stole steal no more… from Eph 4:28 could be taken out of context …but it is still a truth that interprets itself in the verse.

Lets look at the verse I used within the context.

1Co 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

1Co 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

The word spiritual in verse 1 is the Greek word pneumatikos …. Which means “things of or pertaining to the spirit” (spiritual matters). Things that pertain to the spirit can be spiritual gifts such as apostles, prophets, evangelist, pastors, and teachers. It could be the gift of …the new birth spirit…. or the manifestation of the spirit. Verse 3 is not out of context with spiritual matters.

The verse you used from 1Jo 3:14 …which is better rendered as follows … due to the article used in the Greek (which is left out of the KJV)…. regarding the death which points to the death brought on by the sin of Adam.

3:14 We know that we have passed from the death unto the life because we love the brothers. He who does not love in this manner abides in the death.

The scripture you used is in the context of a couple different thing including Cain who had a different seed ….but the verse is still relevant and interprets itself outside of the context…..and it does reveal truth.

But ….The question from the OP was How do I know that I am saved and will go to heaven”

And that is how I responded with my verse. And if you are satisfied with 1Jo 3:14 …that is great.

Regarding your statement:

"Some of hardest, most self-righteous, legalistic, and spiritually proud people I've met are tongues talking Pentecostals."

You have been around for a while, as have I …. I am not going to dispute what you stated because I know that people are people and I have encountered many myself. …But fortunately, your wife (who does speak in tongues) dispels the notion that tongues has anything to do with this …. It’s people ….people who are not walking in the love of God, and through pride are extremely harmful to the body of Christ ….and while they are saved … any works not out of love …sadly end up as chaff…..I only say sadly because I think they are blinded to what they are doing…..

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
1 CORINTHIANS 12:30

sadly i guess some are not saved as NOT all will speak in Tongues
Sadly indeed … Not because of what you wrote …but because of the great benefits that they will miss out on.

If you remember what the question was from the OP.

Topic: “How do I know that I am saved and will go to heaven”

I responded with this → 2 …and included the scripture reference from 1Co 12:3

Nowhere did I state that those who do not SIT (speak in tongues) are not saved …as you imply.

If you check the Greek words that have been rendered to the one English word RECEIVE you will note that there are primarily two Greek words used around the accounts of SIT. One is dechomai the other is lambanō (or a verb form thereof)

Dechomai = To receive subjectively

Lambanō = To receive objectively…. into manifestation (evidence)

Simple explanation would be: If I gave you a phone ….you received it and put it in your pocket… that is dechomai …. But lets say you received it and started making calls or text ….that would be lambanō received into manifestation….The gift is the phone, the operation is the manifestation thereof.

A clear example is presented in these few scripture:

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received (dechomai) the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive (lambanō) the Holy Ghost:

Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received (lambanō) the Holy Ghost.

When those at Samaria first received (dechomai) as in verse 14 …they were born again. But after Pete and J -man prayed for them, they received (lambanō) into evidence the holy spirit.

If you want the list of scripture where both lambanō and dechomai are used in the New Testament …I would be happy to supply it.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
See Romans 10, the entire chapter. Paul summed it up: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou SHALT be saved, and thy house (Acts 16:31). What you have posted applies to those who have not genuinely repented and continue to live in sin. So when the Gospel is preached, the necessity of repentance must also be preached. Genuine Christians will not habitually sin.
We're on the same page.

What the Galatians scripture is telling us is if we are practicing the sins listed, we have not repented, and if so, we are not saved. It also is telling us that if we are saved, we will receive the benefits listed.

I think that the most often misunderstood word in the NT is believe.