Sex before marriage: a poll

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What are your opinions on sex before marriage?

• It is a sin and we should abstain

Votes: 38 88.4%
  • It is okay, God will forgive us. Besides, a man/woman has needs you know!

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • It's a normal part of modern dating, everybody does it

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Like I said, I admire your honesty because it does take courage. I still disagree with your opinion, though I wonder if I'd been through your experiences how exactly those would shape my own opinion.
I hope you never know what I know.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Boaz and Ruth slept together before they were married and their story had a happy ending. Apparently, she deduced him at the urging of her mother-in-law but he didn't complain one bit. Very interesting dynamic between the two of them.
I have seen how this passage has been stretched to mean they had sexual intercourse, but I think the text indicates that it is just that. A stretch. We have to insert our interpretations to make it mean sexual intercourse.

I'd also like to know how the poll assigns 100% to it's a sin when one person, wonder who that is, chose option 2?

J

Jennie-Mae

The problem is not sex but marriage. What is marriage? Marriage is not what many think.

Marriage as per God is on the basis of "..when two or three agree, God is in their midst (as a witness)..." And specifically when a man is bound to a woman through love, when the two agree to be together. Marriage is not a wedding- weddings are traditions of men that is mostly applied in place of God's law and are generally evil in this end times.

A boyfriend and a girlfriend are already married as long as they agree to be together and consummate their marriage with sex. This makes your poll null and void because your idea of marriage is different from what God has said. Garden of Eden is a perfect example of marriage and was overseen by God. So, a marriage is overseen by God only; the reason God says "...let no man separate what God has joined..."

Therefore:
1. Breaking up with a girlfriend or boyfriend is divorce
2. Weddings and marriage certificates or divorce certificates do not mean anything positive spiritually but only serve to fulfill the law of the land (statutory). But let's be careful even as we give Caesar what belongs to him lest we forget God because weddings have become an oath taking/promise making ceremonies yet we have no control of the future. Jesus said it is evil.
In Alabama those common law marriages was considered legal up to 2017, but, alas, no more.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
There are two or more passages in the bible that show us how far our idea of marriage is removed from what God means by marriage:

1. Samaritan woman story

Jesus tells her that she had 5 husbands and the one she was dwelling with at the moment was not her husband.
Q. Does this mean she had 5 weddings (legally wedded husbands) and the one she was dwelling with had not wedded her? I don't think so, logically, it meant she had slept with 5 men and the one she was dwelling with was already sleeping with another woman (whether legally wedded or not)

2. Paul's teaching

Paul says that whoever sleeps with a prostitute becomes one flesh with the prostitute. Two becoming one is God's definition of marriage so in essence, Paul is saying, sleeping with a prostitute is marrying a prostitute.

Conclusion
The biblical idea of marriage is not what we generally have come to believe.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
There are two or more passages in the bible that show us how far our idea of marriage is removed from what God means by marriage:

1. Samaritan woman story

Jesus tells her that she had 5 husbands and the one she was dwelling with at the moment was not her husband.
Q. Does this mean she had 5 weddings (legally wedded husbands) and the one she was dwelling with had not wedded her? I don't think so, logically, it meant she had slept with 5 men and the one she was dwelling with was already sleeping with another woman (whether legally wedded or not)

2. Paul's teaching

Paul says that whoever sleeps with a prostitute becomes one flesh with the prostitute. Two becoming one is God's definition of marriage so in essence, Paul is saying, sleeping with a prostitute is marrying a prostitute.

Conclusion
Oh crap, some of us have a lot of certificates of divorce to write.

I ain't naming no names, but you know who you are.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Oh crap, some of us have a lot of certificates of divorce to write.

I ain't naming no names, but you know who you are.
Some of us have so many and it is because we never thought it through. We all fall short somehow.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
My ex wife gave me the certificate, but I can think of one I'd really like to write one to.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well I'm in the clear. I have never been married or divorced, even by Noose' definition. :cool:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Trying to get a snapshot of the modern Church view on sex before marriage. Please feel free to elaborate!
Notice how “selfdissolving” started this thread and hasn’t been seen since.... hmmmm:unsure:

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Boaz and Ruth slept together before they were married and their story had a happy ending. Apparently, she deduced him at the urging of her mother-in-law but he didn't complain one bit. Very interesting dynamic between the two of them.
I think she just slept at his feet with no hanky panky going on.

T

toinena

I am guilty of it. Yes. I am a sinner. And as Pipp said, once you have done it you are stuck to that person. The only decent thing is to marry.... I should have known better! Now I know. Praising God for His mercy and second chances

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013

1. Samaritan woman story

2. Paul's teaching

Conclusion
Well by that reckoning I might have 12 husbands or more running around out there from my sinful past. But according to the laws of the land I have been married twice. First time little over 6 years with a 35 year break and currently close to 4 years.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Notice how “selfdissolving” started this thread and hasn’t been seen since.... hmmmm:unsure:
I will supply the obvious joke.

"We're sorry, but this user has dissolved."

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Well by that reckoning I might have 12 husbands or more running around out there from my sinful past. But according to the laws of the land I have been married twice. First time little over 6 years with a 35 year break and currently close to 4 years.
"You've been wonderful so far and it's more than I hoped for..."

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It appears that she seduced him as well but I may be wrong on that. :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Perhaps you deduced that she seduced him. The Bible doesn't say anything about them having sex that night, just that she talked to him privately.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
the modern church view? You’ll have your “it’s ok” crowd. You’ll have the “sex is bad!!!” crowd. You’ll have the crowd that talks about it too much. You’ll have the crowd that has it as a taboo subject.

What does God say though?
Of course those two groups are in direct conflict with God and obviously have never read Song of Solomon with understanding. From what I understand the original language is quite racy and our modern translations keep it a "G" rated.