Shortages! What shortages?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DWR
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DWR

Guest
For weeks now, during the lockdowns, many shelves in local stores were near empty. Even Walmart.
Went to Walmart today, and surprise, surprise, the shelves were full again. I mean everything. Cleaning supplies, toilet paper, even hand sanitizer.
Something is fishy here.
Lockdown ends and suddenly no more shortages.
 
I haven't been in the grocery stores in the past few days (since our lock down has been loosened) so I can't speak to the condition of the shelves here, however there does come a point where the panic buying that started a month and a half ago dwindles and dies because everyone has plenty of everything stocked up at home.

I read an article in the past couple of days (local news) that commented on the fact that all of April local grocery stores were selling 125 to 150 percent of their normal sales and coming into the middle of May their sales are around 85 to 90 percent of normal. People ain't buyin' the stuff any more because they got a boat load sitting at home already.
 
For weeks now, during the lockdowns, many shelves in local stores were near empty. Even Walmart.
Went to Walmart today, and surprise, surprise, the shelves were full again. I mean everything. Cleaning supplies, toilet paper, even hand sanitizer.
Something is fishy here.
Lockdown ends and suddenly no more shortages.

It is the law of supply and demand ... that is all.

Demand exceeded supply of how quickly stores could restock.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FrankChatter
last Sunday afternoon the shelves were empty and six days later they were full.
I understand supply and demand and people no longer hoarding, but seem like a very dramatic change in just six days.
 
last Sunday afternoon the shelves were empty and six days later they were full.
I understand supply and demand and people no longer hoarding, but seem like a very dramatic change in just six days.

For the past 4 weeks grocery stores have had inventory. Unfortunately they did'nt have employees to stock the shelves..
 
  • Like
Reactions: EleventhHour
last Sunday afternoon the shelves were empty and six days later they were full.
I understand supply and demand and people no longer hoarding, but seem like a very dramatic change in just six days.
Was it not just as dramatic coming up to mid March?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1christian1
last Sunday afternoon the shelves were empty and six days later they were full.
I understand supply and demand and people no longer hoarding, but seem like a very dramatic change in just six days.

Depends on the items and if they are manufactured nearby or it they are shipped from a distance.

Where I live the shelves stayed pretty stocked, except for a few items one being yeast.

There was none to be found, but it is because yeast is not a high demand product so production facilities are not equipped to produce in larger quantities, therefore shortages.

So there are many variables.
 
I haven't been in the grocery stores in the past few days (since our lock down has been loosened) so I can't speak to the condition of the shelves here, however there does come a point where the panic buying that started a month and a half ago dwindles and dies because everyone has plenty of everything stocked up at home.

I read an article in the past couple of days (local news) that commented on the fact that all of April local grocery stores were selling 125 to 150 percent of their normal sales and coming into the middle of May their sales are around 85 to 90 percent of normal. People ain't buyin' the stuff any more because they got a boat load sitting at home already.

Here our twenty four hour stores have been open twelve hours. Their shelves have been about 80 percent stocked. Full carts are always leaving on a regular basis. Labor costs have to be down. Profits have to be up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1christian1
Depends on the items and if they are manufactured nearby or it they are shipped from a distance.

Where I live the shelves stayed pretty stocked, except for a few items one being yeast.

There was none to be found, but it is because yeast is not a high demand product so production facilities are not equipped to produce in larger quantities, therefore shortages.

So there are many variables.

That happened to me . The first few times I went shopping they were out of "pumpkin seeds" and peanuts! Lol. I jokingly asked one of the clerks " You had a run on pumpkin seeds? LOl. But yeah I get it...
 
  • Like
Reactions: EleventhHour
Was at Wally World yesterday....Toilet Paper isle was still empty except for a handful of some generic 4 pack of super small loose rolls.....and meat isle seems to be half empty....

Being a prepper though....I do not need TP....been stashing for 13 years ;) Haha
 
I haven't been in the grocery stores in the past few days (since our lock down has been loosened) so I can't speak to the condition of the shelves here, however there does come a point where the panic buying that started a month and a half ago dwindles and dies because everyone has plenty of everything stocked up at home.

I read an article in the past couple of days (local news) that commented on the fact that all of April local grocery stores were selling 125 to 150 percent of their normal sales and coming into the middle of May their sales are around 85 to 90 percent of normal. People ain't buyin' the stuff any more because they got a boat load sitting at home already.
I need to stock up on cleaning supplies. Last week the cleaning supply aisle at Walmart was only partially stocked. It was still slim pickings there. Paper towels and toilet paper was probably 3/4 stocked so it appears the toilet paper crisis has abated.

A weatherperson for the local news says that Floridians should start stocking up on supplies for the hurricane season. Hopefully, no one was watching or stuff is going to disappear fast once again. Not the smartest thing to say that's for sure. That's how this nonsense starts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dcontroversal
Here our twenty four hour stores have been open twelve hours. Their shelves have been about 80 percent stocked. Full carts are always leaving on a regular basis. Labor costs have to be down. Profits have to be up.

Actually, I believe that labor costs for grocery stores have sharply risen. The store hours have been slashed because that time is spent constantly restocking and there are many that are now assigned to clean and sanitize. That is why Walmart had to hire 100,000 more employees.

Another thing, there are a lot of employees assigned to fill online orders for pickup because there are those that are leery of coming into the store.

As for profits, grocery stores operate on thin margins as it is, I will surmise that a great portion of those profits now go towards added labor costs due to coronavirus.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dcontroversal
I need to stock up on cleaning supplies. Last week the cleaning supply aisle at Walmart was only partially stocked. It was still slim pickings there. Paper towels and toilet paper was probably 3/4 stocked so it appears the toilet paper crisis has abated.

A weatherperson for the local news says that Floridians should start stocking up on supplies for the hurricane season. Hopefully, no one was watching or stuff is going to disappear fast once again. Not the smartest thing to say that's for sure. That's how this nonsense starts.
I have been saying for years that God's people need to be wise, see evil coming and prepare.....all my friends, family and neighbors listened...None of us needed anything, including cleaning supplies.....believe it or not, I have enough supplies for 50 people for 5 years......and the means to defend it.....must be the Marine in me ;)
 
I have been saying for years that God's people need to be wise, see evil coming and prepare.....all my friends, family and neighbors listened...None of us needed anything, including cleaning supplies.....believe it or not, I have enough supplies for 50 people for 5 years......and the means to defend it.....must be the Marine in me ;)

Protect it against who? the Russians?
 
Protect it against who? the Russians?

Violent evil men regardless of race, color, creed, nationality......

Wise men see evil coming and prepare for it <--biblical and proven throughout the scriptures

And contrary to the imminent return THEORY.....4 things kill tribulation saints....I can do something about 3 of the 4 and possibly the 4th if God is with me!
 
  • Like
Reactions: EleventhHour
I have been saying for years that God's people need to be wise, see evil coming and prepare.....all my friends, family and neighbors listened...None of us needed anything, including cleaning supplies.....believe it or not, I have enough supplies for 50 people for 5 years......and the means to defend it.....must be the Marine in me ;)

One thing for sure you have definitely beat both the demand and the supply side! :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: dcontroversal
Violent evil men regardless of race, color, creed, nationality......

Wise men see evil coming and prepare for it <--biblical and proven throughout the scriptures

And contrary to the imminent return THEORY.....4 things kill tribulation saints....I can do something about 3 of the 4 and possibly the 4th if God is with me!

The reason I asked is because my uncle who ( fought in Vietnam ) was in the Marine Corps had a very different Creed. " Corps, God, Country"...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Godsgirl83