Should a Christian tithe, what does the Bible say

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
what are you even talking about?
where did i say it was?

i think youre confused dino
i know i am by your post

i think he may be stressing the importance of recognizing that our "giving" is not "tithing" ? -- using the wrong language in these conversations can be dangerously misleading.
similarly sunday is not "Christian sabbath" -- not that we are bound in any similar way to ritually keep the sabbath day, but we should not talk about it as though the day is changed. we should recognize the truth about the difference between the 8th and 7th day and why we do what we do in the same way that we should recognize the difference between our giving and the tithes required of Israel under the Law.

i agree with what he said but i wasn't sure why he was saying it in response to what you said, either

7seasrekeyed

how did money get into the Kingdom of God?

the God i know offers bread and wine without price. refined gold, white raiment and eyesalve without money.
the "
tithing" i have read of doesn't have anything to do with mammon: it was about produce and livestock.

I dunno

his whole theology is Jimmy Swaggart based :cautious:

ok...maybe whole is a little too strong

N

NoNameMcgee

i think he may be stressing the importance of recognizing that our "giving" is not "tithing" ? -- using the wrong language in these conversations can be dangerously misleading.
similarly sunday is not "Christian sabbath" -- not that we are bound in any similar way to ritually keep the sabbath day, but we should not talk about it as though the day is changed. we should recognize the truth about the difference between the 8th and 7th day and why we do what we do in the same way that we should recognize the difference between our giving and the tithes required of Israel under the Law.

i agree with what he said but i wasn't sure why he was saying it in response to what you said, either

well i like dino a lot

also agreed with his post

i thought tithe literally meant 10%
1181. dekaté
Strong's Concordance
dekaté: a tenth part, a tithe​
Original Word: δεκάτη, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: dekaté
Phonetic Spelling: (dek-at'-ay)
Short Definition: a tenth part, a tithe
Definition: a tenth part, a tithe.

and i was replying to a man who seemed to suggest GIVING 10% is required to be saved (which it is not)

i also never thought it was a new covenant command

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 6, 2017
I found this video very helpful explaining how tithing does not apply to the church. It is very visual, hope it helps.

S

selfdissolving

I can't believe what I'm reading here, so many greedy "Christians" greed is a grievous sin.
If you don't give to God, you are cursed. God hates greed, we saw what happened to that greedy man and his wife who sold their house and held back some of the proceeds. God killed both of them and we have people here saying it's not important to give anything to God.
I can't believe how blind and deceived so called Christians have become in this wicked generation. What are they doing to say to Jesus when He tells them to go to hell, I never knew you.
There are so many lovers of money here, I never expected to see this from Christians. Especially after all the warnings about the love of money in the Bible, we are talking about the root of all kinds of evil and everyone is defending their god of mammon.
May God bless you with wisdom and understanding, my friend

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
A lot of adults just don't know to save money now days. We don't get cash on pay day and have to hang on to it 'till more comes in. Now we have credit which allows us to spend more than we make. Many can't see how illogical and immoral the system is, so they never learned to put money aside. It may be a sin to be so irresponsible. Some folks just don't know how.

It is certainly not a sign of spiritual growth, and I'm sure many feel bad about it..There it is the human [sin] element, they can't help it. Should we keep them out of church? NO!
Those people were covered in our pastors sermon, they are still encouraged to tithe no matter how small the income or what debt one may be in. We have folks with large mortgages on their homes, should they stop giving until they are in a better financial position. No everyone should give generously no matter what their financial position happens to be.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
Have you ever gotten hungry at work Danny but you were broke? You had mishandled your money and you felt bad about it, not just because you were hungry but because you felt foolish. People go to church feeling like every week.
Yes i have experienced financial hardship just before I was converted, I was in bondage to my sins which included drug addiction so I ran out of money.
When I joined a Church I started giving even though i didn't have much to give. I always managed to get enough money together to buy my drugs, so it wouldn't be right if I didn't make the same effort to give to the Lord.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
You dont think that unbelievers are capable of doing good works ?
my hubby is an unbeliever and he does plenty of good works , helps people , loves his family , donates to charities , helps our neighbours etc etc

Thats why we should be careful about pointing fingers and fruit inspecting , you never know for sure

oh and tithing is an Old Covenant command , New Covenant believers are to give generously as others have said
I'm sorry to have to burst your bubble but your hubbies best works are as filthy rags in Gods sight. God is no respecter of persons, He can only love those who are in Christ. The rest cannot please God in any way no matter how "good" their works are. Gods wrath abides on them

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
money was never a part of the Law of Moses

forgive me please; i was wrong to say this --

it turns out i forgot Leviticus 27 :(
it's about redemption, so we really should know it, right? i bet all you guys heard sermons on Leviticus 27 just last week!
((*sigh*))

"Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’S; it is holy to the LORD. If, therefore, a man wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he shall add to it one-fifth of it. For every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD. He is not to be concerned whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; or if he does exchange it, then both it and its substitute shall become holy. It shall not be redeemed.”
(Leviticus 27:30-33)

from reading the chapter, as we all know, vows and things consecrated to the Lord could be redeemed at a price of 6/5 their valuation in the currency of the temple shekel. tithes, also, could be redeemed this way - in some circumstances. produce could be redeemed at 6/5 of it's valuation, in the temple shekel, but of living creatures -- the scripture explicitly says "
It shall not be redeemed"

i've immediately got two takeaways from this:

1. to tithe Biblically, using money, we must convert our currency to the temple shekel and remit 12% ((0.1 + 0.2*0.1 = 10% + 2%)) to the Levites in service at the temple.
  2. to tithe Biblically, any part of what is required of us having to do with נֶ֤פֶשׁ חַיָּה֙ - "living souls" - 'living creatures' in KJV - cannot be paid with money.

what do y'all think of that?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
When I joined a Church I started giving even though i didn't have much to give. I always managed to get enough money together to buy my drugs, so it wouldn't be right if I didn't make the same effort to give to the Lord.
amen

N

NoNameMcgee

I'm sorry to have to burst your bubble but your hubbies best works are as filthy rags in Gods sight. God is no respecter of persons, He can only love those who are in Christ. The rest cannot please God in any way no matter how "good" their works are. Gods wrath abides on them

dude.... her marriage is sanctified
and for all you know her husband will one day be transformed and made new....

and YOUR works are no less filthy than his

neither are mine

it is God who does good and we a blessed when He works in us

no need to be boastful

be grateful

N

NoNameMcgee

God bless you ljs

im sure you have had to overcome many trials to please God through being a faithful wife to a husband who has yet to join the body of Christ

and i hope you can continue to be a blessing to him until he one day wakes up and smells the roses

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
  • to tithe Biblically, any part of what is required of us having to do with נֶ֤פֶשׁ חַיָּה֙ - "living souls" - 'living creatures' in KJV - cannot be paid with money.
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
(Romans 12:1)

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
I found this video very helpful explaining how tithing does not apply to the church. It is very visual, hope it helps.
You can use the Bible to say whatever you want it to say. This guy has his opinion on what it all means and others have their opinion and there are so many different opinions that it leaves a person confused.

The only thing left to do is obey what God puts on your heart, but you must be a saved person to even know what Gods will for you. So it becomes something between you and God, and nobody else should know how much you give.

I personally believe tithing is just a basic standard, we should give more than just 10% since God gave us everything we have we should give back generously to Him. I don't like folks here saying that my money is going to my pastor, that's false. My money goes to the Lord and the Lord gives some to my pastor so he can live a decent life.

The pastor is appointed by God to shepherd us sheep, he knows Gods word better than all of these sheep here who are self appointed authorities on the Bible. God only reveal the truth of the Bible to certain people and He deliberately confuses others who think they are smart.

Our pastor encourages all of us to study our Bible to make sure that what he preaches is exactly what the Bible says. But at the end of the day, we are the sheep and He is the shepherd, that's the way God has ordained the NT Church. We need to be careful of people who make themselves some kind of authority on scripture, God only gives that privileged to those who serve as shepherds.

My pastor told me that my knowledge of the scriptures has nothing to do with my salvation, he said you don't need to know any scripture to be saved. If you believe as the thief on the cross did, you are saved. He didn't know the Bible, he had simple faith which God gave him as a gift.

Satan and His Demons know the scriptures better than anyone here, but it does them no good. It actually brings them more damnation, just as it does to those who know the Bible yet are not true people of God.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
Thanks for the encouragement.

I would like your opinion on an issue I'm facing regrading giving to the Church. I'm going to inherit a large sum of money after the sale of a relatives estate who recently passed away and I'm one of the beneficiaries in his will. Should I give my Church 10% of the money I receive or is tithing only meant to be deducted form your salary.

I would really like to know what Jesus would advise me to do, I have prayed about it but I'm still not sure what God wants me to do. I will continue to pray about it, but I would value your opinion because I have read a lot of your posts and I do respect your opinion on many things.
Everything we receive is God's to begin with and we are only asked to give back what we feel compelled to in our hearts. If you want to give 10% good if you don't want to, also good. Will you do more for God with that money than someone else that you give it to? If you want to give 10% to, say The Salvation Army, you are doing as much good with it as the church will. If you want to spend it on yourself God wants you to do that also. It is a show to him of your faith, or lack of faith, in him. I personally hope you show great faith. If you give to an organization, please be sure that it discusses Christian values with those it helps.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
You can use the Bible to say whatever you want it to say. This guy has his opinion on what it all means and others have their opinion and there are so many different opinions that it leaves a person confused.

The only thing left to do is obey what God puts on your heart, but you must be a saved person to even know what Gods will for you. So it becomes something between you and God, and nobody else should know how much you give.

I personally believe tithing is just a basic standard, we should give more than just 10% since God gave us everything we have we should give back generously to Him. I don't like folks here saying that my money is going to my pastor, that's false. My money goes to the Lord and the Lord gives some to my pastor so he can live a decent life.

The pastor is appointed by God to shepherd us sheep, he knows Gods word better than all of these sheep here who are self appointed authorities on the Bible. God only reveal the truth of the Bible to certain people and He deliberately confuses others who think they are smart.

Our pastor encourages all of us to study our Bible to make sure that what he preaches is exactly what the Bible says. But at the end of the day, we are the sheep and He is the shepherd, that's the way God has ordained the NT Church. We need to be careful of people who make themselves some kind of authority on scripture, God only gives that privileged to those who serve as shepherds.

My pastor told me that my knowledge of the scriptures has nothing to do with my salvation, he said you don't need to know any scripture to be saved. If you believe as the thief on the cross did, you are saved. He didn't know the Bible, he had simple faith which God gave him as a gift.

Satan and His Demons know the scriptures better than anyone here, but it does them no good. It actually brings them more damnation, just as it does to those who know the Bible yet are not true people of God.
I agree with almost all you say, except for the pastors knowing more than anyone here. Some may and some may not and some may have a gift of understanding or not. People here can have the same, or better knowledge and some may have the same or better understanding.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
Everything we receive is God's to begin with and we are only asked to give back what we feel compelled to in our hearts. If you want to give 10% good if you don't want to, also good. Will you do more for God with that money than someone else that you give it to? If you want to give 10% to, say The Salvation Army, you are doing as much good with it as the church will. If you want to spend it on yourself God wants you to do that also. It is a show to him of your faith, or lack of faith, in him. I personally hope you show great faith. If you give to an organization, please be sure that it discusses Christian values with those it helps.
I'm not sure if the Bible teaches us to support other Churches and organisations. My understanding is that we give to our Church and they decide if they want to support other Churches or organisations.

We already support missionaries in Africa and Asia, and we also support others who feed the poor. I think God has given our pastor wisdom in studentship, he's using the money wisely to glorify God in many areas. He thanks God after the offering is taken up every week and He asks God to use the money to glorify Himself and for the extension of His Kingdom.

We have no doubt about our pastors integrity and wisdom in handling finances, so I'm fully confident that everything He receives is used in a wise and Godly way