Should a Christian tithe, what does the Bible say

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jaybird88

Read you Bible and you will learn that a New Testament Church is led by God's appointed shepherds. The problem is too many "Christians" have ignored Gods Word and appointed themselves shepherds.
are you calling preachers shepherds?
how do you know any of them are appointed by the Most High?

J

jaybird88

The Bible tells us that God wants us to give Him our money generously, and that's a big problem for false professors because they worship the god of mammon. It's like asking you to give up your false god and that exposes false professors very quickly.
nope lol, i think you been mislead by your used car sales preaching. think about this, the Lord needs your money? is He behind on His rent? the Lord can creat the heavens and earth but needs money?
we are to support our church.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
nope lol, i think you been mislead by your used car sales preaching. think about this, the Lord needs your money? is He behind on His rent? the Lord can creat the heavens and earth but needs money?
we are to support our church.
God doesn't need your money, He demands that you give it to Him generously.

You obviously don't believe in the God of the Bible, so it's obvious you serve the god of mammon.

Our pastor never asked for money for Himself, He calls it giving to the Lord and of' course the Lord blesses him with money as well from the tithes and offerings.

You know nothing about Gods Church or how it works, you deny Biblical facts and you make up your own truth as you go. Good luck with that, I hope you wake up before the big heat traps you in

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
acts 5 was never about being stingy with tithes, it was about trying to decieve the Holy Spirit.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
are you calling preachers shepherds?
how do you know any of them are appointed by the Most High?
Jesus said, many false prophets would come in His name. He said, you will know them by their fruits so how can a blissfully ignorant person like you know my pastor.
You're accusing my pastor of being a Demon in disguise, you are following the example of another false accuser of the brethren. You know Him, Jesus said you do the works of your father

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
acts 5 was never about being stingy with tithes, it was about trying to decieve the Holy Spirit.
That's right, it was about trying to deceive the Holy Spirit that you aren't worshiping the god of mammon while they were. So yeah, it's true the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. It keeps coming back to the love of money. It has been the downfall of billions of Christians whoa re in hell right now because of it

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.

You obviously don't believe in the God of the Bible, so it's obvious you serve the god of mammon.

Our pastor never asked for money for Himself, He calls it giving to the Lord and of' course the Lord blesses him with money as well from the tithes and offerings.

You know nothing about Gods Church or how it works, you deny Biblical facts and you make up your own truth as you go. Good luck with that, I hope you wake up before the big heat traps you in
I REBUKE YOU! Shut up and humble yourself before the Lord before you end up worse off than Ananias and Sepphira

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I don't disagree.

Peter feared for his life in the face of a horrible, gut wrenching test most of us have not been forced to deal with.

Ananias set out to deceive, (Convince someone of a lie) while claiming to be a "Christian".

Although Peter lied, he was not a liar at heart. The same can't be said about the other two, IMO.

It can't be denied though, that Ananias did willfully and purposefully disobey several of God's Commandments. Had they humbled themselves to God and His instructions, they could have "Ruled over" the sin that dwelt within them. But like so "many", they wanted the prize without running the race. They wanted repentance without the change. They wanted the Grace without the Faith.
yes, the two of them - and however many more were involved in the conspiracy - had to sin in carrying it out. i'm not sure whether they were after the 'prize' at all, though. this follows what had had just happened in Acts 4: the Sadducees arrested Peter and John while thousands were being added to the church. they were brought before the Sanhedrin and grilled, but with a man miraculously healed and crowds of people supporting them, they were under great pressure not to act, afraid the people would turn against them.

“What are we going to do with these men?” they asked. “Everyone living in Jerusalem knows they have performed a notable sign, and we cannot deny it. But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no longer to anyone in this name.”
(Acts 4:16-17)
that's the setting, as i see it. then at the end of chapter 4, it's mentioned a Levite named Barnabas sold a field he owned. ((why's that detail here?)) -- and then Ananias and Sapphira, where Peter speaking to Sapphira says they have "conspired to test the Holy Spirit"

honestly, i think this conspiracy involved the Sadducees. Ananias and Sapphira may have been plants, not acting alone. i think this is a lot more than just lying, more than greed, more than lust of the flesh: i think this involves blasphemy against the Spirit, and that's why God judged so swiftly and severely.

. . . but as you know, preachers like to just talk about money when they mention this chapter.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
where is Yet ??

he would love this thread.

i miss Yet.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
I REBUKE YOU! Shut up and humble yourself before the Lord before you end up worse off than Ananias and Sepphira
Friend, you're not angry with me. You're angry with God, I'm only appealing to what the Bible says about giving money to God. I know many here don't like that Biblical truth and I do feel sorry for you, but I can't change God to suit your expectations of Him. He is sovereign, He never changes for anyone

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Although Peter lied, he was not a liar at heart. The same can't be said about the other two, IMO.
i really just meant, to point out that God wasn't striking people dead for lying, for shirking away, for denying Christ. so it seems reasonable that there is more than lying going on here. if Ananias and Sapphira were pawns in a conspiracy to entrap Peter and defame the church, a conspiracy that reached up to the Sadducees entrenched in power in Jerusalem's religious/political sphere, then of course love of money was in the root of all this, because as we see in ch. 4, they were scrambling to put a stop to the explosive growth of the believing church, fearing that they would lose their power over the people.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I wrote a string once titled the love of money, people would rather discuss UFOs, or conditional salvation than the real human condition of greed, deciet, narcisism, and self rightousness!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Regarding the bolded portion... that is an oxymoron. Those concepts are mutually incompatible.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Jesus said, many false prophets would come in His name. He said, you will know them by their fruits so how can a blissfully ignorant person like you know my pastor.
You're accusing my pastor of being a Demon in disguise, you are following the example of another false accuser of the brethren. You know Him, Jesus said you do the works of your father
Regarding the bolded, what shall we say of you, who have made many false accusations in this thread?

Jun 29, 2018
I recently heard a sermon on tithing at a Reformed Baptist Church, where I have applied for membership.
The pastor made it clear that we are all to tithe because that's what God wants us to do. He said, if we don't give generously of our finances that God will not bless us.
He presented many Bible verses showing that it is Biblical and that God expects us to obey it.
We can't claim to be believers, then only pick and choose the parts of the Bible that suit our lifestyle and ignore the parts we don't like.
Below is a link listing 20 Bible verses showing that tithing is something all of Gods people must do if we are to be obedient to His Word

https://echurch.com/20-bible-verses-about-tithing/

I know that nobody will argue with Gods Word, so this is only a reminder of our obligation to tithe. I will say in advance that anyone who tries to argue against it is arguing against sound Biblical teaching
I can tell you that I personally tithe and am 100% convinced that it is the right thing to do. There are many people who argue that it is not new covenant. I am not one of them.

You do not tithe in order to increase, you do not give sacrifice in order to receive abundance from God, you give to God to honor Him who gave to you in the first place. You give to God out of the abundance that He has already given to you. You give to God to put your faith in action, to "put your money where your mouth is".

Remember, we are told that "faith without works is dead". If you claim to love God, yet are unwilling to give of yourself to Him, just how unselfish is your love? We are to be the "bride of Christ", yet think of this, if you claim to love your spouse, yet in all that you do, you only think of yourself, the relationship will never blossom to it's full potential.

I tithe upon my increase. Let me explain, I am in business and have many dollars that come in each month and many dollars that go out each month. Some of the dollars "stick", they are my "increase", this is what I tithe upon. When I used to work for an employer, I would tithe upon my pay check. Since my gross income was not an increase, but my net income was, I personally tithed based upon my net income. My mentor chose to tithe based upon his gross income.

So, to relate to where you are. When I sell a house and receive say $25,000 at the closing of the sale. I then go through and figure how much of that $25,000 is profit. Let's say here that $17,000 is profit. Now I figure what my tax burden is on that $17,000, let's say here that it is $3,000. That makes my INCREASE $14,000. I then thank God who gave this abundance to me and grinning from ear to ear, I write a tithe check to my local storehouse (my church) for $1,400 and then rejoice for the $12,600 that I have to enjoy!

I know that not everybody does it the way that I do. I do not believe that tithing is a requirement to get to heaven.
I do believe that tithing is a requirement to increase your relationship with God.
Faith in action is a very powerful thing.

God bless you!
Mike

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Jesus can't be your shepherd, He's in heaven so how can He shepherd you here on earth, man talk about being deceived
You would do well to start reading the Bible for yourself...

John 10:11 [Jesus said] “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. "

John 10:14 "“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— "

Hebrews 13:20 "Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, "

1 Peter 5:2 "For 'you were like sheep going astray,' but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."

Perhaps it's time for you to stop arguing and start learning.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I can tell you that I personally tithe and am 100% convinced that it is the right thing to do. There are many people who argue that it is not new covenant. I am not one of them.

You do not tithe in order to increase, you do not give sacrifice in order to receive abundance from God, you give to God to honor Him who gave to you in the first place. You give to God out of the abundance that He has already given to you. You give to God to put your faith in action, to "put your money where your mouth is".

Remember, we are told that "faith without works is dead". If you claim to love God, yet are unwilling to give of yourself to Him, just how unselfish is your love? We are to be the "bride of Christ", yet think of this, if you claim to love your spouse, yet in all that you do, you only think of yourself, the relationship will never blossom to it's full potential.

I tithe upon my increase. Let me explain, I am in business and have many dollars that come in each month and many dollars that go out each month. Some of the dollars "stick", they are my "increase", this is what I tithe upon. When I used to work for an employer, I would tithe upon my pay check. Since my gross income was not an increase, but my net income was, I personally tithed based upon my net income. My mentor chose to tithe based upon his gross income.

So, to relate to where you are. When I sell a house and receive say $25,000 at the closing of the sale. I then go through and figure how much of that $25,000 is profit. Let's say here that $17,000 is profit. Now I figure what my tax burden is on that $17,000, let's say here that it is $3,000. That makes my INCREASE $14,000. I then thank God who gave this abundance to me and grinning from ear to ear, I write a tithe check to my local storehouse (my church) for $1,400 and then rejoice for the $12,600 that I have to enjoy!

I know that not everybody does it the way that I do. I do not believe that tithing is a requirement to get to heaven.
I do believe that tithing is a requirement to increase your relationship with God.

God bless you!
Mike
hi Mike,
i agree with all that you're doing in principle but i cringe at our loose use of the word "tithe"
tithing is not what we're doing. to me it's just as wrong to use this word as it is when people call sunday 'christian sabbath' -- ugh! when we meet together on sundays it is not sabbath observance!
both of these 'wrong use of words' are detrimental IMO for reasons i could write pages and pages about but will forbear to do so.

i don't think anyone in this thread at all has spoken against generously giving with what God has given us. the disagreement here is that just like the day of the sabbath hasn't been changed to sunday, the tithe commanded to Israel hasn't been carried over to be enforced on the church. we should not be using those words to describe how we congregate or how we give -- it's a misuse of language that facilitates confusion and misunderstanding among us.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018

God bless you!
Mike
Hi mark,

You have reminded me that the path to life is narrow and few travel on it. I have sadly found most folks here make the scriptures say what they want them to say so they can live the life they want and not the life that God wants them to.

One needs to twist many scriptures to arrive at some of the conclusions I've read here, and they protect their position militantly.