Should a church board make any ruling about church dress code?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

alehandra

Im always keep this point and Remember that walking in purity involving sacrificing our ego.
If dressing like this make my fellow men to struggle with impure thoughts,
why should I do that?
On the other hand, avoid romance fantasy too.
We want to have authentic love relationship with our God and future spouse.
Do not let your fantasy ruin the real relationship in the future. The same thing here...
keep serving the Lord with all your might.
That will make your beauty shines more like a rare diamond.

A precious gift to the King of all Kings and to your future eartly prince.

P.S : For women
, I have to say that the way we dress will somehow help these men :)
We play part too. Dress modestly. Do not show your cleavage, any area that can turn a male on.
For sure you can be in a good fashion still yet keep modest.
You will be still beautiful in astounding way for you will be different.

BE BLESSING
-CILLA-

S

storm09

As a leader in my church and member of the worship team I believe that the leaders should dress moderately whether you are in the back or in the front, singing or not. When the leaders agree to this then the congregation will follow eventually. Esp the pastor's family - if they dress moderately then everyone will follow eventually, trust me I know.:D

U

Ugly

If you have ever seen the People of Walmart videos it is obvious there are no dress codes...and even less fashion sense.
I have. And i've also heard of people being asked to leave Walmart for their clothing. I've worked at 2 Walmarts myself, actually, and have seen it on occasion.

J

J-Kay

I have. And i've also heard of people being asked to leave Walmart for their clothing. I've worked at 2 Walmarts myself, actually, and have seen it on occasion.
This reminds me of a couple years ago at Walmart, a worker lady was
squatted position rearranging something, and her jeans had slipped
down in the back, and showing what rhymes with 'back.' One could
not help noticing. And they make jokes about plumbers. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Just a little humor here. ~ Night ~

I

isaria

They do have dress codes in some churches.
Catholic churches, jehovas witness etc

One chatholic church would not let a woman in with short sleeves.
Dress past knees and "tshirt length" sleeeves but she was denied entry.
One jehovas witness church did not like woman wearing trousers and manly clothes.

I think the churches have a right to have some form of dress code.
It shows respect.

If a prostitute or some one else wanted to enter church she may be denied as this other woman and people are and be given a sjal or jumper to wear before she enters.

Some clothing is inappropriate to wear to church and it shows disrespect to the church and God and the people and the men there not to be temped and insite lust but to prayer and be with God , the church and Gods people.

M

Married_Richenbrachen

If the people in the congregation are not wise enough to know what clothing is appropriate, then the elders have a duty to inform them, and to ensure the people adhere to these standards. I'm not saying clothes should be fashionable, but they should be modest.

If someone, such as a lady dressed like a woman of ill repute, sincerely wants to attend a service, she can borrow a gown or something.

Sep 6, 2013
Standards of fashion change; I can't imagine that what anybody else chooses to wear to church is any business of mine.

Each church can set its own rules, but Holy Father forbid me from ever being such a Pharisee that I condemn or hinder someone for wearing what is in their heart to wear when coming to worship God.

Dec 9, 2011
Hello
I would say that the church board should have the say
so on that,but it would end up being a works mentality
the church should be for helping people.

When people are changed in the spirit,dressing to
represent GOD will come natural.

C

colalella2891

When it comes to a dress code at church, I don't think it's wrong to wear like a shirt and jeans to church. But yes, wearing inappropriate stuff that's too revealing isn't necessary at all. I would actually prefer if girls would just cover up everywhere they go, so I don't have to go crazy with lust. But that's just me. :D

Bottom line, I don't think church has to go to the extreme to make people dress formally, but people should dress conservatively.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
A young man decided to attend a certain local church. When he got inside all the men were in black suits, black shoes, black ties and white shirts. After the meeting one of the elders took him aside and said that he should wear something more appropriate (he was dressed in a check shirt, jeans and cowboy boots).

Next week he turned up in the same clothes and once again the Elder took him to one side and this time suggested that he prayed and asked God for direction about his appearance.

Next week he arrived in his check shirt, jeans and boots. After the meeting he was taken aside again. The Elder said "I thought I told you to ask God for some guidance about your appearance."

Well, I did that said the young man, but he said that he couldn't be of much help to me as he was not welcome in the church.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I don't think anyone has to set dress codes for the church. All they have to do is read the scriptures. It is set out there so as they say "Just do it."

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
The church board shouldn't have to..........if it is a child/young adult we are speaking of, then the parents should take care of any such thing........and if it is an adult we are speaking of, then the spouse, or friend should take care of any such thing.

There are a couple of threads on this already, you might search the Forums History to see what has been discussed before.

Lyta137

Dec 7, 2013
Not exactly set the type of dress code but atleast make a call for decency. That is, wear what you can but ensure its decent and appropriate. the only problem is peoples definition of decent and appropriate, terribly differs.:)
Fancy suits and neckties, no I don't think so...unless they agreed to offer everyone a free one:D

P

papagreybear

Without a doubt there should be a dress code. It is the place we go to worship our God. Have some respect. As for the post of what to wear. He is our God we should wear the best of what we have, he deserves nothing less.
Just my opinion
I still love all of yall

T

tripsin

this happened at the Church I was going to a couple of years ago. one Sunday I saw one of the teenage girls wearing what looked like a one piece swimsuit. a short one piece swimsuit. what was so strange about that was her dad was probably the most conservative dude at this Church. he was there that day. so what should someone had said to him or her mom?
I think that scripture is quite clear that this should not be handled by individuals in the church, but by elected officials of the church.
Where were the parents in the first place? Letting the teenager run the home? My husband and I would have NEVER let our daughter dress for church like that!!

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
Where were the parents in the first place? Letting the teenager run the home? My husband and I would have NEVER let our daughter dress for church like that!!
I was thinking the same thing ^^.

That being said, in my church back at home (including surrounding churches as well), we do not have dress code or rules as such. However, the elders and parents usually addressed the issue of 'decent/modest dressing' in church from time to time: men to dress as men and women to dress as women (no pants/jeans in church for women). So, its an open secret for women not to wear jeans or pants/trousers in the church (not because its sin but just so wearing them in church is strongly discouraged). Another interesting fact is although other forms of female dressings such as skirts, one piece dresses, etc are encouraged, greater emphasis is given on wearing traditional kilts. In fact, wearing traditional kilt (any of its kind/design) is considered the most appropriate wear for women in churches (or at all times). For men, no shorts.

Consequently, for all that I am aware of, there's hardly been any incident of 'misappropriate' dressing in the church. So, am all for addressing the issue of 'decent' dressing in churches without making it a rule per se.

Here's some pictures of women in traditional kilts (taken during/after church service)

946720_188702011283750_41960720_n.jpg 1379281_487051121402539_130405998_n - Copy.jpg

298853_275118822526737_207858727_n.jpg

-

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
My Niece sometimes attends the Cowboy Church in Montana. It's a boots, jeans, western wear kind of place, a lot of members are ranchers and farmers. I think if your dressed modestly, business casual that's OK. Every church has a different way about it as far as dress goes. Some are more casual and some aren't. I think if you follow along with the what you see around you, you might feel more comfortable. It doesn't bother me when I see someone dressed casual, nice Khakis or Jeans, polo shirt. That's an example. I have seen tight clothing on young women and I don't think that's appropriate.

Unless you have a bunch of people coming that are dressed in a proactive manner I don't see why the church elders should have to address the issue.

Dec 18, 2013
Paul wrote along these lines when he said that all things were lawful to him, but not all things were expedient. Another time, he was telling his listeners that "he" felt there was no issue with eating certain foods, keeping certain days, considering certain times important etc. for him personally, but that if what he did with "his" spiritual freedom because of his maturity caused his brothers to stumble, he wasn't acting in love.

Also, let's be honest, we're talking about "women" here dressing like street walkers. They should DEFINITELY be told they "can't" come to church dressed in a provocative manner. They are placing temptation in the way of every man in the congregation, and being a temptress is a blatant sin, right there in what is "supposed" to be GOD'S house and worship service....

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
My Niece sometimes attends the Cowboy Church in Montana. It's a boots, jeans, western wear kind of place, a lot of members are ranchers and farmers. I think if your dressed modestly, business casual that's OK. Every church has a different way about it as far as dress goes. Some are more casual and some aren't. I think if you follow along with the what you see around you, you might feel more comfortable. It doesn't bother me when I see someone dressed casual, nice Khakis or Jeans, polo shirt. That's an example. I have seen tight clothing on young women and I don't think that's appropriate.

Unless you have a bunch of people coming that are dressed in a proactive manner I don't see why the church elders should have to address the issue.

I agree every church has their own way of dressing and I believe culture has much influenced on it and on what is considered 'appropriate/misappropriate'. My post was in the context of what is culturally considered 'appropriate' in my home church.

That being said, I am of the view that there is a need to properly guide the youngsters (or even older ones if need be) to dress 'decently' otherwise, they may turn up for worship service in provocative dresses in the name of fashion (as has already been pointed out here by some)

PS: I have no issue with women wearing jeans/trousers, etc. In fact, the church I attend now (in the city) is multi-cultural (and non-denominational) where wearing jeans/pants is not a big deal. So, I have more than my share of attending worship service in jeans and pants but just not in my home church.

Last edited: