Show your faith through your works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Many posters on this forum make fun of works for the Lord. Almost to a man they respond by calling mention of work for the Lord works religion. They think of work as only to be done for salvation. If it was true that work was only to be done for salvation as they think, then work would be useless for it is our faith that results in salvation.

They make me think of a naughty child telling parents they won't behave unless they are given what they want.

James 2: 17 Even so faith, if it have not works, is dead in itself. 18 [a]Yea, a man will say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith apart from thy works, and I by my works will show thee my faith.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
Many posters on this forum make fun of works for the Lord. Almost to a man they respond by calling mention of work for the Lord works religion. They think of work as only to be done for salvation. If it was true that work was only to be done for salvation as they think, then work would be useless for it is our faith that results in salvation.

They make me think of a naughty child telling parents they won't behave unless they are given what they want.

James 2: 17 Even so faith, if it have not works, is dead in itself. 18 [a]Yea, a man will say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith apart from thy works, and I by my works will show thee my faith.
My works show my Salvation by grace... You can NEVER throw the baby out with the bath water.... But if I was not secure in my Salvation I would not have my works... Because I know when I buy food for the beggar that walks up to my car or the persons' medication they could not buy because they did not have the money and many other things because I trust G-d to provide for me …. I would not do squat for people f it was not for G-D!!!!

In fact I would not lead people to Messiah because my ego is too impaired, but He comes upon me and I do not care anymore and we talk about HIM AND PRAY TOGETHER!!!

I AM SAVED AND THIS WHY I DO WHAT I DO!!!!

Sep 3, 2016
All works must be produced and birth by the Holy Spirit or it is dead works. The "Golden Bell and the Pomegranate" must bounce against each other or it is tingling cymbal and sounding brass. The Golden Bell = The Gift of the Spirit, and the Pomegranate = The Fruit of the Spirit (Exodus 28:34). We need both to be in operation.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:16 these words, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works (proper Faith will always produce proper works, but proper works will never produce proper Faith), and glorify your Father which is in Heaven (proper works will glorify our Heavenly Father, while improper works glorify man).”

Excerpt From
The Expositor's Study Bible
Jimmy Swaggart
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-expositors-study-bible/id399697870?mt=11
This material may be protected by copyright.

Apr 15, 2017
The reason that works is necessary for salvation is because of this, and it has to do with love, for love is the fulfilling of the law.

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity, love in action, is greater than faith, and charity, love in action, is works that have to be done for love is greater than faith.

1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Paul said without charity then he is nothing.

1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The love of money is the root of all evil, for it neglects the poor and needy, and they have erred from the faith.

Paul said without charity they have erred from the faith.

Jas 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Jas 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jas 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

James is speaking of charity to help people with their needs if possible, and if they do not have charity then their faith is dead.

So Paul and James say the same thing that if a person does not have charity then they are lacking in faith.

1Jn 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

John said without charity then the love of God does not dwell in them, so do not love in word only, but love in deed and in truth, charity, love in action, works of love.

That is why we have to have works for our salvation because it has to do with charity, love in action, works of love, and charity is greater than faith.

But someone might say if they are saved they will do the works, then why the lack of works among them, as they believe the prosperity Gospel, and love money and material things for their wants that neglects the poor and needy, and preachers that are millionaires preaching God blesses with money and material things which would be above their needs, which Paul said withdraw yourself from them.

Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.

And many people lack charity, works of love.

Works do save us for if you do not have those works of charity then you do not have love, and love is greater than faith, and love is the fulfilling of the law, and the Spirit does not force us to do works of love so it has to be initiated by us.

Like the Spirit will not lead anybody that does not hate sin, and does not want sin, and we are not forced to abstain from sins so it has to be initiated by us.

Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Rev 3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
Rev 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

They say works have nothing to do with salvation but Jesus says something different.

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

But of course we are saved by faith when we first confess Christ, but then we have to have works of love and to maintain our salvation.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Works will never add to the actual Act of Salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Yeshua but anyone who claims to believe, that is, to have faith, and has no works has no faith at all.

Do not freak hearing this for works are not always great miracles of numerous conversions, works are also praise, praying, waiting for our Lord and more, all done to glorify God is works, though we must wait on Him always......

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Of course we show our faith through our works. HOWEVER, it is imperative to understand that our works are the FRUIT of our salvation, and not a necessity for salvation.

Our works become a witness to both the world and the Church that we are disciples of Christ.......that is why water baptism is considered the first act of obedience after salvation.

All of these type arguments are explained by Christ in the Parable of the Sower of the Seed...........even this one.......it would be the THIRD part of the Parable

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My favorite parable explaining works of faith is the one about the Master going away and leaving talents of gold with his servants. Gold is equated to faith in the Word, only faith is considered more valuable than gold, and it is.

All theservants who increased the investment of the Master were rewarded, but the one who buried his talent in the dirt lost his talent and was thrown into the outer darrkness for he had not valued his gift enought to use it to grow...…………..actually making it unclean.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
The simple fact is we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus and works flow from that faith. Without the works we do not have true faith. Since grace is a free gift from God it is something that can't be earned. This fact seems to confuse the unsaved since they seem to feel salvation has to be earned. The prophecied scene at judgment when those pointing out their works for Jesus and being told begone I never knew you shows this. When I was young this confused me until I understood that the works were not generated by the grace through faith.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The simple fact is we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus and works flow from that faith. Without the works we do not have true faith. Since grace is a free gift from God it is something that can't be earned. This fact seems to confuse the unsaved since they seem to feel salvation has to be earned. The prophecied scene at judgment when those pointing out their works for Jesus and being told begone I never knew you shows this. When I was young this confused me until I understood that the works were not generated by the grace through faith.
The simple fact is this. I do not believe anyone in this thread believes we are saved by works...why don't your read the posts previous to making declarations against individuals understanding? It will save you a lot of typing time.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
We are saved "for" good works and NOT BY good works (Ephesians 2:8-10). Authentic good works produced out of faith which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them are not to be made fun of. The problem is when people turn saved "for" good works into saved "by" good works. I can give three examples of people who claimed they don't believe we are saved by works, then afterwards contradict themselves by making these statements below:

"It is works of obedience that help to save us and not works of the law or works of merit." - This equates to salvation by "these" works and just not "those" works.

"We ARE saved by faith - as long as you properly define "Faith". Faith is NOT simply "believing". Faith INCLUDES: Being baptized, eating His body and drinking His blood/partaking the Lord's Supper during Mass, works of mercy and charity, obeying his commandments, doing the will of the Father etc.." - This equates to salvation through faith "infused" with works.

"There is another Gospel out there. What is the other Gospel? It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's Law (10 commandments) from the Cross. The counterfeit Gospel is out there. It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's 10 commandments from the plan of salvation. God’s Law has always been part of the true Gospel of Christ. The counterfeit Gospel does not have it. God's forever Law (the 10 commandments) is the foundation of both the Old and the New Covenant and the very foundation and basis of the true Gospel of Christ." - This equates to salvation by "grace plus law, faith plus works."

In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. *So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

I agree, faith requires substance, it requires evidence. The one thing I disagree on is that the faith that justifies is the faith of Jesus Christ! The believer is justified by the faith of Jesus Christ not our own individual faith. The evidence of Christ's faith is the cross.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Our individual faith comes in after salvation and is demonstrated by our works of obedience. We will be judged based upon these works or lack thereof at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

2 Corinthians 5
9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

1 Corinthians 3
12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Many posters on this forum make fun of works for the Lord.
I haven't read anyone making fun of works. Perhaps making fun of those who claim they are necessary for earning salvation. That would be a works religion.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Many posters on this forum make fun of works for the Lord. Almost to a man they respond by calling mention of work for the Lord works religion.
The OP is LOADED with exaggerations.
"Many posters on this forum..." Many?
"Almost to a man..." Everyone, basically? (but only the men) ???

Let's face it, if you are promoting works, you are promoting a works religion.
Saying, "for the Lord" does not nullify that fact.

The person that wakes up in the morning thinking, "What can I do for God today?"
is off on the wrong foot. God doesn't want you to make up things to do "for the Lord".
He wants you to follow his lead. Wait for a green light. Spiritually speaking.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
I agree.

I like the way this verse below presents it.
The works "which God prepared in advance for us to do."
I see an individualized directive here.

The good works are not in a limited static state. (from a pre-existing list)
They are along our path, prepared in advance. Divine appointments.
We need to be in the moment. Look for what good is doing, and join with Him.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
I like the bumper sticker that says:
"If Jesus is your copilot, you're in the wrong seat!"

Mar 28, 2016
Our works are the result of His work of His faith or called a labor of His love working in in us with us to both will and do His good pleasure. We should do so without grumbling as if they could be of us ( self edification.... false pride). He will not forget the good works he works in us that we can offer towards His name.

The example of the many in Mathew 7 who did do the works were faulted as workers of iniquity because they desired to have the outcome of those wonderful works in respect to their own name as some kind of special crown. In the end of the matter blaspheming the Holy name that does work in us..And not of us as if god was served by human hands and needed something form the clay

Dec 28, 2016
The simple fact is this. I do not believe anyone in this thread believes we are saved by works...why don't your read the posts previous to making declarations against individuals understanding? It will save you a lot of typing time.
Where did he say otherwise? It is nowhere in his quote.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

If I have misunderstod you, Iapologize, however if you believe you are correcting what I have posted...……..

Dec 28, 2016
jaumej, instead of the callow "indifference" you've offered on my post, why not take your own medicine? Nothing he said warranted your accusation. It was unwarranted, then you tell him to reread.

You need to reread yourself.

If it's good for the gander, it's good for you. You misrepresented him and made a false accusation.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Gee oh gosh, if you were keeping track of the thread better than this almost bland old man perhaps you would see, I did reread and respond with a conditional apology. Now stop trying to start a mobbing and get back into the thread.