Sin and physical health

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

Nm didn't even post

A

Ariel82

1. You are not more sinful if you are disabled.
2. Eating right is not a salvation question
3. These earthly bodies are under this world rules and laws, what does the Bible say about them?

A

Ariel82

*Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.*Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.*Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.*No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians9:24-27&version=NIV

Dec 19, 2009
Is there a connection?
For example smoking leads to lung cancer...gluttony leads to obesity and many medical problems associated with it.

What does the Bible say about it?

I know we are not under the Law but saved through grace. This is not a salvation question but more a practical question.

This temporal bodies have to obey the laws of this world. We do not have new bodies yet.

We are told our bodies are temples of God for the Holy Spirit lives within our hearts.

How do we defile the body? How do we not care of what God has blessed us with?

I know personally that I should excercise more and eat less sweets. I eat pork.

I don't think it affects my soul. I know I am a child of God, but I wonder about my body.

I wonder why people live shorter and shorter lives in the Bible..in the beginning lives were in the 1000 years...then Moses at 120...now everyone thinks it's special to live to 100.

I seem to hear about cancer and man-made items that cause cancer alot. Things we put in our food, things we surround ourselves with, things we pump in our air.

I just thank God we are as healthy as we are with the abuse we do both to our bodies and the earth.

So my question is what does the Bible say about it all?
I suspect sin can cause illnesses.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is written, and it is true, sin can cause illness, but never think illness is solely caused by sin. Even our Lord pronounced one person's affliction as not being caused by his sin nor the sin of his predecessors, rather it was for teh glory of God..read it in the accounts of what our Lord did when He first came to us to save us. We are never to judge by appearances rather we are to judge with right judgement. If we cannot do the latter we should keep silent on any subject until we are given by the Holy Spirit to understand.

Blessed be all who call upon Jesus Christ for all.......amen.

S

SL33PY

I have a question about people born with physical ailments or diseases. I still have difficulty understanding about siamese twins, down syndrome, cancer, etc. Is it because we are born into a fallen world and genetic disorders are bound to happen rather than the results of sins from the parents?

C

Chuckt

Brothers and sisters please do not work too hard to connect sin with illness or physical misfortunes that may befall a believer. It is true some illness is brought on by sin, and confession is the best remedy, along with elders, if you know any, to come and pray for the sick and annoint him with oil.
Sometimes we see in the Word that an affliction or ailment is for the glory of God......never judge by appearances but with right judgment.........Praise God always, amen.
I actually can use scripture to prove it but since I want people to judge righteous judgment, I'm not willing to post it right now because if they aren't on the level to find it themselves, they probably aren't on the level to use it correctly.

C

Chuckt

I have a question about people born with physical ailments or diseases. I still have difficulty understanding about siamese twins, down syndrome, cancer, etc. Is it because we are born into a fallen world and genetic disorders are bound to happen rather than the results of sins from the parents?
John 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
John 9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Feb 2, 2016
My pastor gave a sermon last week on this very topic. He mentioned that God never curses or punishes with pain or illness (that's reserved for later), but does bless people with spiritual gifts. I played in a band in college and lost all high freq hearing in my left ear when my earplug popped out during a song and I happened to be right next to the pa speaker. My cousin told me a girl gave him genital herpes but like someone else posted here that was his fault for not wrapping his johnson. He's a christian also and told me after he prayed a few weeks later the sores went away but I think that would have happened anyway. Bottom line is the bible tells us that when you see a rainbow that means God will never flood the Earth again (although he will replace it with fire according to my pastor).

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I have an aunt, rip, and when I first met her I though she was the nicest adult I had ever met. I was about seven and she was about 20. As I grew older I came to understand she was what we then called mentally retarded. Retarded, if you look up the etymology, is not a detrimental term. Anyway, she is no longer with us, but she was always the nicest adult I ever know with the mental advancement of a four-year-old, and I am blessed to have shared part of her time here in this age. Our heavenly Fadther always does what is good, so trust Him, not the reasoning of the flesh.

I have witnessed healings, and on occcasion I have been used for this as an instrument availed to God's Holy Spirit, so I know healing is still with us, albeit it is not common everywhere, but with the faith ful it is.
Now I am old with certain normal or ordinary conditions the come with age. I praise God and thank Him for everything. It is so good and rewarding to thank Him even or especially when we do not understand because eventually we see good come from everything. Too bad we do not have the total wisdom of our Father, for then we we see the goodness every instan. We are feeble in that regard. God bless all in Jesus Christ, amen.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
John 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
John 9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
I was thinking of this particular passage.

A

Ariel82

I believe God judges people based on how we treat the poor, the sick, the disabled, the grieving.

Thank you for quoting that verse, I was thinking about it too and I do believe many people suffer not because of their sins or their parents (generational curses have been done away with like animal sacrifices..see it in the Bible when God tells Israel about Not using the parable of sour grapes...God says each man will be judged for his own sins.) People suffer because we live in a fallen world and also so that when they are healed we can see God's glory and grace revealed.

Eventually everyone will be healed and given new bodies and God will wipe every year from our eyes. Oh that we might all keep that Holy promise close to our hearts. Gtg.

A

Ariel82

*tear not year