Singles Forum Math Problem of the Day! (Please Show Your Work.)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2009
I was thinking more along the colonial style... but that works too! :rolleyes:

T

toinena

New day. New problem. How many painkillers are needed to kill my headache?

Aug 2, 2009
New day. New problem. How many painkillers are needed to kill my headache?
:( hope u feel better, Toinena.

If u want to know, as far as over-the-counter painkillers (without a prescriptiion) there is:

aspirin
ibuprofen (motrin, advil)
acetaminophen (tylenol)
and naproxen (aleve)

be very careful not to take more acetaminophen than directed because it can cause liver failure.

For headaches, what works best for me is excedrin (aspirin, caffeine and acetaminophen)

Last edited:

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
The answer is hugs...hugs is always the answer

Aug 2, 2009
:( hope u feel better, Toinena.

If u want to know, as far as over-the-counter painkillers (without a prescriptiion) there is:

aspirin
ibuprofen (motrin, advil)
acetaminophen (tylenol)
and naproxen (aleve)

be very careful not to take more acetaminophen than directed because it can cause liver failure.

For headaches, what works best for me is excedrin (aspirin, caffeine and acetaminophen)
I just realized that these might go by totally different names in your country. :(

Sep 12, 2017
Well your lucky Linx ;), as a kid and when I went to public school the teacher got sick of me doing math problems in my head, so when I didn't show my work she would keep me in for lunch, and sometimes after school. When my parents found out, all I know is my parents did yell at her (weird but true) then that's how I became homeschooled.

T

toinena

No problem, Zero. I have stock up on painkillers, heartburn pills (the American diet really tortured my stomach) and band aids (why did I buy that???? I guess I will get use of them one day) when I was over there. So I have excederin. It also helps me to wake up. Oh man! How many hours left until weekend???

Aug 2, 2009
No problem, Zero. I have stock up on painkillers, heartburn pills (the American diet really tortured my stomach) and band aids (why did I buy that???? I guess I will get use of them one day) when I was over there. So I have excederin. It also helps me to wake up. Oh man! How many hours left until weekend???
Exactly 48 hours actually.. at least for me since its midnight here. :rolleyes: Glad you have some pain meds on hand! :) I keep forgetting to buy excedrin :p

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I was thinking more along the colonial style... but that works too! :rolleyes:

That cloak would be a viable alternative, in a dark grey. I'm not much for french fripperies like ruffles.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

I thought you might want to see a picture of what you've all been helping me "build." :)

This pair of shorts is what I call my "working protocol" -- as in, I made this as a first try and now I know what other changes I want to make, and so your calculations have been helping me plan for my next rendition.

Alongside the shorts are the two patterns I've been combining to make them. Although I need to start with a pattern, I very rarely like that patterns as they are and almost always make modifications.

Viola, I think it was you that mentioned that pattern envelopes tell you how much fabric you need on the back--this is true, but ONLY if you're following the pattern exactly, which I almost never do (this is why I asked people to SHOW me how to do the conversions, so I can do them for myself next time.)

For instance, neither short pattern has pockets, and I put pockets on both the front and the back, so I had to account for a bit more extra fabric.

Thank you all so much for your help, and I'll see you again when I start my next project. ;)

IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0018.jpg

garet82

Jan 20, 2011
Oh may i dont like math thats why i become social students at school. Sorry

Jul 25, 2015
Hey Everyone,

I thought you might want to see a picture of what you've all been helping me "build." :)

This pair of shorts is what I call my "working protocol" -- as in, I made this as a first try and now I know what other changes I want to make, and so your calculations have been helping me plan for my next rendition.

Alongside the shorts are the two patterns I've been combining to make them. Although I need to start with a pattern, I very rarely like that patterns as they are and almost always make modifications.

For instance, neither short pattern has pockets, and I put pockets on both the front and the back, so I had to account for a bit more extra fabric.

]
You are Very talented Seoul!!! Looks fantastic

T

theanointedsinner

(45 inch / 36 inch) x (36 inch / 1 yard) = 5/4

5/4 yard wide x 5/3 yard long = 25 / 12 square yards
or 2 1/12 sq yards, or 2.0833...

T

theanointedsinner

first, we must find out the average sized of 1 lima bean in measuring unit of ounces

let this value be L ounces

clearly we believe that the amount of ounces would be less than 2L ounces

2L = 2 time L ounces

or in short, the amount of tolerable lima bean <2L ounces

the question is, how big is a lima bean

for ease of calculation sake, let's assume that a lima bean is an inch long

and a lima bean is a quarter inch think in diameter

we need to convert this into cm, to find the cubic cm, to find the ml, to convert it into ounces

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
I think most people aren't too great at math anyway...:rolleyes:
Growing up, all the Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) kids excelled in that area.

Do you know how many Asian people there are?

Note: I also suck at maths.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Growing up, all the Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) kids excelled in that area.

Do you know how many Asian people there are?

Note: I also suck at maths.
Heh heh.

Rest assured, not all Asian kids are good at math. :cry: Even through college and my couple years of grad school, math seriously ticked me off because those were always the classes that ruined my GPA (grade point average.) Thank goodness my worst class in high school was optional and I was able to drop it because I was getting A's in everything else and a D- in physics.

I honestly don't know personally know any Asians who fit the stereotype of excelling at math but I'm sure there are plenty of others out there. After all, the stereotype has to exist for a reason, lol.

Ironically, my best subjects always involved English and writing.

T

theanointedsinner

I'll make up a math problem

say the radius of a circle measures sqrt(7) inches

find the area of the circle in square inches

hint: there's an approximation for pi that makes the computation really easy