So Your Date Goes to Pay... And He/She Pulls Out a Coupon. What Are You Thinking?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What Would You Be Thinking if Your Date Used an App, Coupon, Gift Card, Etc. When Paying?

• Man, is this person ever cheap!

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • If they can't afford dinner, how would they be able to afford a family?

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Maybe this this person is having some hard times?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wow, this person is thrifty!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • This person must be a good steward with their finances.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Good golly, just how big, exactly, IS that coupon book... and can I "borrow" a few...

• If this person is having a hard time paying, maybe I should offer to pay my own way.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Wow, are they going to use a gift card to pay for the wedding, too?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I should have brought my own coupon as well, and he/she could have saved twice as much!

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other -- Maybe I shouldn't say what I would be thinking, but I'm going to anyways in my post!

• Total voters

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Folks...

For once, the title really does say it all!

What would you be thinking if you went on a date and your date wanted to use a coupon as part or all of their payment? If you'll give me just a minute, I'm going to write a poll. It's going to be anonymous (no one can see your answers) and multiple choice, but I'm hoping there will still be some actual discussion in thread as well.

I come from a family in which several member treat saving money like an Olympic sport, so it wouldn't phase me one bit if my date pulled out one of those "Super Book" coupon extravaganzas. In fact, I'd probably feel like he was already a member of the family!

Let's face it. Dating is expensive, and there are lots of apps/deals/promos out there that can help us all get the most date for our dollars.

So how would you feel if your date paid your way, but didn't actually pay full price for it?

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I'm a fan of saving money so coupon's wouldn't bother me (as long as we didn't have fast food just because that was where he had a coupon to). Though what I'd probably be thinking is something along the lines of... oh that's why he wanted to come here. And if it was my turn to pay or we were going dutch, I'd totally bring any applicable coupons I had.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I would ask this person to spend the rest of my life with me. And I don't care if we went to applebees cause of a coupon.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
It depends if we went somewhere because the date had a coupon, or if the date used a coupon because she had one for where we were. I don't get stuff just because there is a coupon for it. But if it is a coupon for something I wanted anyway I'll use it.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Coupon protip: I saw the Blue Bell ice cream delivery man at the local supermarket. I mentioned how good Blue Bell is, and I bet people are happy to see him come around. He gave me a coupon for Blue Bell ice cream, which I was going to buy right then anyway. :D

Takeaway from this story: If you say nice things about a product you might get a coupon for no good reason.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Cheap..especially if its at Mc Donalds..lol
My parents use the McDonald's app all the time, because they do a lot of financial counseling with church members and it's always a good, cheap place to meet so I wouldn't even think twice about it, lol.

When I was a kid, my parents were saving every penny they could and McDonald's was a very rare, once-in-a-blue-moon treat.

To this day, it's still one of my favorite places to eat, but it's gotten pretty expensive, so... don't look at my phone, lol.

I just installed the app last week, and boy, do they have some good deals. :D

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
My parents use the McDonald's app all the time, because they do a lot of financial counseling with church members and it's always a good, cheap place to meet so I wouldn't even think twice about it, lol.

When I was a kid, my parents were saving every penny they could and McDonald's was a very rare, once-in-a-blue-moon treat.

To this day, it's still one of my favorite places to eat, but it's gotten pretty expensive, so... don't look at my phone, lol.

I always get tge same thing there..big mac meal..lol

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
@seoulsearch ...when my kids were little tgey always collected the happy meal toys n played with them in the bath tub..lol..30 yrs later those toys probably wouldve been worth some money..lol

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
So many ways I could respond to this question... and get flak in response.

One relatively safe thought: Frugality is okay with her... at least some of the time.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
@seoulsearch ...when my kids were little tgey always collected the happy meal toys n played with them in the bath tub..lol..30 yrs later those toys probably wouldve been worth some money..lol
We have hundreds of these at the child care center I work at. We keep them in bins and bring them out for the kiddos to play with after lunch. They LOVE them! Some of them must be 20+ years old. (The toys, not the kids! Haha) :)

Aug 2, 2009

I used to love mcdonalds. I would go there for lunch often and even on my days off. I'd usually get a quarter pounder with fries and a diet coke. But now their burger prices have gone up so much I can't justify spending that much on them. Plus their service got really bad for a few years. They'd get my order wrong or it would take forever or I'd have to repeat it several times. It seems to have gotten much better recently though.

FVH

Jul 28, 2018
Hmmmm.. I feel like there are many Americans on this forum! I think couponing (where I'm from) is not as much of a thing..
We have McDonalds deals.. I think if a guy used a coupon to pay his part of the share.. why not. It's his money. If he wants to pay everything and with coupons - be my guest.
But perhaps maybe it would matter to me where. If you go out on a first date to a super fancy place (and he insists on going there) and then pays with coupons.. I don't know, that'd make me feel weird I think. I'd rather then go to a more inexpensive place and feel like he (or we both) could afford it.

Now, where I'm from, guys automatically paying for dates REALLY isn't that much of a thing. I'm originally from the Netherlands and I guess it's called "going Dutch" for a reason.
I have heard some (foreign) female friends of mine who live in the Netherlands complain about how they would not want to go out with someone who doesn't pay for them on their date, they find it a turn off, etc.. I really don't see it that way - I think it's just what you're used to culturally. The only thing that I am allergic to is 'fussing' over a bill.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I used to love mcdonalds. I would go there for lunch often and even on my days off. I'd usually get a quarter pounder with fries and a diet coke. But now their burger prices have gone up so much I can't justify spending that much on them. Plus their service got really bad for a few years. They'd get my order wrong or it would take forever or I'd have to repeat it several times. It seems to have gotten much better recently though.
I hate McD's.. They use pink slime and ammonia in their burgers. I watched a video of how they do it, and it's just gross.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hey they rightfully claim it is 100% beef. They never said a word about how much of a burger is MEAT though. It all comes from SOMEWHERE on a cow...

What? Gotta do something with the testicles. They can't just throw them away can they? When they grind all the bits up real fine you can't tell the difference.