Some truth about speaking in tongues, the Holy Ghost, spiritual gifts and 1 Corinthians 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Then how do you explain why John said the following:

Matthew 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
In the group there are always some that God leads out into His Light. The Pharisees and Sadducees were the ones who called for Jesus to be crucified. If they were clean they could not have been prompted to call for the death of Christ.

In the catholic church there are some who know Christ. In the protestant church there are many who falsely profess.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Turn to Christ while there is yet time for soon the day will end and all will come into judgment.
I actually have Christ Jesus dwelling within me ...
15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,
17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he
dwells with you and will be in you.
23 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and
make our home with him.
John 14: (ESV)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
The desire for power is deceitful. Gods word teaches us to be humble. Those who desire tongues cannot grow in the admonition and nurture of the Lord.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Sadly you misunderstand the reason for pursuing the gifts of the Holy Ghost.
God provides His Holy Spirit as a means of edifying the church body as well as the individual.
There is nothing self serving about being a willing vessel for God to flow through to touch others.
If you experienced God consuming the sacrifice of your body as means to communicate with and help others
you would realize it is very humbling.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Sadly you misunderstand the reason for pursuing the gifts of the Holy Ghost.
God provides His Holy Spirit as a means of edifying the church body as well as the individual.
There is nothing self serving about being a willing vessel for God to flow through to touch others.
If you experienced God consuming the sacrifice of your body as means to communicate with and help others
you would realize it is very humbling.
Religion speak. God has chosen the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,
17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he
23 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and
make our home with him.
I hope that is the truth.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
By the way, your post was good but I think you missed the point of your own writing.

The baptism with giftings is for the purpose of testing from your own works, and performing His as led.

Is truth that in weakness, is our strength made perfect.
Resting....not testing.

Tongues exist always have and will continue until He comes again.

It's the spiritual language of the new creation man and woman. For we are now Spirit, with a soul, housed in our earthly body

That's the facts sir/madam.

:)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Resting....not testing.

Tongues exist always have and will continue until He comes again.

It's the spiritual language of the new creation man and woman. For we are now Spirit, with a soul, housed in our earthly body

That's the facts sir/madam.

:)
Not supported by the bible. Tongues ceased with the completion of the NT. 1 Cor 13:8

The word of God is our rest and our comfort.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Not supported by the bible. Tongues ceased with the completion of the NT. 1 Cor 13:8
Bahahahaha...

I get that you believe this. It's not supported by the text though. It's an interpretation based on information (I wouldn't justify it by calling it 'evidence') from outside Scripture.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Bahahahaha...

I get that you believe this. It's not supported by the text though. It's an interpretation based on information (I wouldn't justify it by calling it 'evidence') from outside Scripture.
Yet there is no biblical support for the behavior of praying in tongues.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jul 23, 2018
What is refreshing about going into captivity?

Men are always rewriting the bible. Isaiah 28 is very clear that that Jehovah God is warning through the prophet that Israel was going to be taken into captivity for their apostacy. There is nothing restful in God pronouncing woe upon the people of Israel.

Your lack of sound biblical discipleship is painfully evident.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Thats 2 boggus posts you just composed.
Paul said to desire spiritual gifts,tongues prophecy etc.
He said he will be behind in no gift.
But you say it is false and thorns etc.
You twist it,because you need the truth to be bent to what men have shown you mentally.

Try and get them to explain to you how believers got the Holy Spirit by/through the laying on of hands.
Your teachers tell you there is no such thing,and you get it all at conversion.

You literally have to reject the word to go along with those far fetched fables you have embraced.

The biggest red flag is not what they,baptist cessationist spread as supposed,self proclaimed experts,but that you would not prove out their silly position through the word.
Its like you never ,ever see their verses are cherry picked modern day cessationist propaganda.
Just say " hey they did it back then,but we reject it. And since we reject it,it has to have ceased"
Just admit it is a backslider position of powerless christianity.

Jul 23, 2018
Its like saying " that salvation stuff ceased because i am not saved,and my atheist teachers PROVE all that saved stuff is fake...pure fakers"

Now you prove it otherwise,knowing all uou say can just be labeled fake. Like salvation is just a cruel lie.

And nope,no personal testimony.

Prove it like it is fake. Start from the "faker" position. Just ASSUME it all ended with the apostles. It is only what God did back then.
That's how absurd the cessationist position is.

L

Locoponydirtman

This is an interesting subject (((sarcasm))) .
I just watched a video of a preacher who espoused the merit of speaking in tongues. His claim was that his stance was scriptural not experiential, yet all of his points were experiential and anecdotal.
Anyway this is one of those subjects that is clearly written about and there's not much to debate.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Thats 2 boggus posts you just composed.
Paul said to desire spiritual gifts,tongues prophecy etc.
He said he will be behind in no gift.
But you say it is false and thorns etc.
You twist it,because you need the truth to be bent to what men have shown you mentally.

Try and get them to explain to you how believers got the Holy Spirit by/through the laying on of hands.
Your teachers tell you there is no such thing,and you get it all at conversion.

You literally have to reject the word to go along with those far fetched fables you have embraced.

The biggest red flag is not what they,baptist cessationist spread as supposed,self proclaimed experts,but that you would not prove out their silly position through the word.
Its like you never ,ever see their verses are cherry picked modern day cessationist propaganda.
Just say " hey they did it back then,but we reject it. And since we reject it,it has to have ceased"
Just admit it is a backslider position of powerless christianity.
I Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

You make the assumption that tongues are the best gifts when much of the narrative teaches something else. The more excellent way is not tongues which have ceased.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 28, 2016
make our home with him.

Dwelling in before or after the filling of the Holy Spirit and confirmed by what some call "sign gifts"?

Sign gifts (see and believe) sounds garden of Eden familiar. (look at my beauty surely you will not die, take a bite).

We walk by faith not following the example of the unbelieving Jew.

How often should the sign be displayed? Does it need refilling? How will a person know when a filling is needed?

How do we perform the kind of tongues you relate to? Just hope?

The key is found Isaiah 28. The Holy Spirit says. Yet for all that they still refused to beleive in the word of God.... making it to no effect through the oral tradition of men called "sign gifts". Not to be confused with signs that use metaphors that point to the idea a person has believed the gospel . Like drinking poison used to represent false doctrine .The believer will not be deceived .He will trust the word of God and not give into the oral traditions of men, which it would seem are needed to widen the authority of the word of God.

7seasrekeyed

Comforting to hear you were born again but the Holy Spirit baptism would have by necessity been at the time of your conversion. You are not saved until the Holy Spirit quickens you by grace.

I trusted Christ as my Savior in July 1976. My wife received Christ in 1977 having been Roman Catholic all her life until that time. Discipleship in Gods word is extremely important for young Christians. Our adversary goes about seeking those whom he can devour through unsound doctrine.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

no one is baptized in the Holy Spirit at conversion. no one. it is a separate event as the Bible clearly indicates and as people in this forum have patiently dealt with in illustrations from both scripture and personal witness and testimony. what do you think scripture is exactly? or did you miss where it is written that these things are written so that you might believe...and following a summary of events EXPERIENCED by those who wrote the words?

right. perhaps a deep breath is indicated here for you? didn't really think so

persons such as yourself, over a matter of years...years especially in your case...as any who have been here some time know. you know too

actually unsound doctrine is the work of teaching demons as indicated in scripture. demons teach unsound doctrine through human beings who lie when they say God has called them to be a teacher

the very sad truth there, is that they are deceived by the demons themself and believe they are teaching truth

even spirit filled Christians are susceptible to this because they neglect to discern and or follow the clear warnings in scripture about deception, which is the devil coming as an angel of light

does not matter about your opinion on this. many of us know this to be true and verifiable in both scripture and through experience in dealing with congregations and believers on a much larger scale than most individual Christians will experience

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Dwelling in before or after the filling of the Holy Spirit and confirmed by what some call "sign gifts"?

Sign gifts (see and believe) sounds garden of Eden familiar. (look at my beauty surely you will not die, take a bite).

We walk by faith not following the example of the unbelieving Jew.

How often should the sign be displayed? Does it need refilling? How will a person know when a filling is needed?

How do we perform the kind of tongues you relate to? Just hope?

The key is found Isaiah 28. The Holy Spirit says. Yet for all that they still refused to beleive in the word of God.... making it to no effect through the oral tradition of men called "sign gifts". Not to be confused with signs that use metaphors that point to the idea a person has believed the gospel . Like drinking poison used to represent false doctrine .The believer will not be deceived .He will trust the word of God and not give into the oral traditions of men, which it would seem are needed to widen the authority of the word of God.
You are still barking up this tree, despite the fact that you cut it down. Your position on Acts 10 undoes your position on Isaiah 28.

7seasrekeyed

If it was jewish ceremonial law, Then why didnt the pharisees get baptized?

Luke 7:29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

their constant reply was that God was their Father

people use all kinds of excuses when embedded in a denial complex

7seasrekeyed

This is an interesting subject (((sarcasm))) .
I just watched a video of a preacher who espoused the merit of speaking in tongues. His claim was that his stance was scriptural not experiential, yet all of his points were experiential and anecdotal.
Anyway this is one of those subjects that is clearly written about and there's not much to debate.

remarkable!

just like scripture

what do you think you are reading in the Bible when you read of the EXPERIENCE regarding the Holy Spirit the authors were sharing?

do you imagine that it was a script that floated down out of heaven or perhaps a dove bore the message in it's beak written on parchment?

the very experience CONFIRMS the experience of those who wrote of their EXPERIENCE to begin with

I'm not dumb but I am not a genius either

how come most of you miss that?

Mar 28, 2016
Its like saying " that salvation stuff ceased because i am not saved,and my atheist teachers PROVE all that saved stuff is fake...pure fakers"

Now you prove it otherwise,knowing all uou say can just be labeled fake. Like salvation is just a cruel lie.

And nope,no personal testimony.

Prove it like it is fake. Start from the "faker" position. Just ASSUME it all ended with the apostles. It is only what God did back then.
That's how absurd the cessationist position is.
I would ask how long is too long of a break in between revealing His will would be acceptable? 4, 40......or 400 years . Like the silent period between Malachi and Mathew.? Is there a law missing by which we could know God more adequately? ?

Ended with apostles? The apostles are still here. Did you think the gift of a "sent ones" (apostle) has ceased? If that was the case how would God get out prophecy the gospel today ? How beautiful are the fingers of those sent with the gospel .

That salvation stuff has not ceased. It, as a perfect law is doing the same work of quickening the soul of men today, giving us simple ones His understanding. Just as when God wrote His last words of prophecy and sealed up with 7 seals no more revelations. We are in the last days. Ending His book of prophecy with a warning that he would sent a strong delusion to anyone who desire to open up the air way to the signs and lying wonder of the god of this world. Today it would seem the new gospel of experience is picking up speed

God as it seems has sealed up the possibility of someone wanting to add a experience or a private interpretation as if God was still bringing new prophecy.

In that way no man can serve two sources of one faith (Christ's).

7seasrekeyed

I Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

You make the assumption that tongues are the best gifts when much of the narrative teaches something else. The more excellent way is not tongues which have ceased.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

no he didn't make that assumption. you are making it for him because you are stuck on tongues and just cannot get past them

I have never seen you talk about any other gift. if you have, maybe find it for me but I won't hold my breath :rolleyes:

further, your tongue sure has not ceased any :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: (jking but true)

you are unable to confirm whether or not they have ceased.

1. the fact you do not speak in tongues does not confirm they have ceased. I do not fly a plane, but that does not mean no one else does either

2. there is not indication in scripture for tongues to cease until Christ comes back. indicating the Bible is the perfect is almost ridiculous given the Bible forum itself. such perfection should have the effect of creating a cohesive body of believers and not a book of Judges everyone doing what they thought was right in their own eyes kind of doubting caught in 'friendly' fire debates such as are the norm

3. because you said so, and that is your understanding, is proof of what exactly? I refer you to my plane example