Some truth about speaking in tongues, the Holy Ghost, spiritual gifts and 1 Corinthians 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

This is what she quoted and what I said...

dcontroversal said:
100% agree.....no matter how one slices, dices and rejects...the Corinthian church had 15 errors, was CARNAL and spiritually immature......

And this is what I got in return...

and yet Paul still said do not forbid speaking in tongues

every day here, people call themselves sinners out of one side of their mouth and saved out of the other

the entire Bible is a record of the sins of humanity and redemption of Christ

Corinthians gives the correct way to conduct yourself regarding the gifts...you and others are only telling half the truth by concentrating on the part of the passage that seems to indicate we should ignore the instruction and gasp, ooooo and aaaah after the sin

lets do the same for all the sinners while we are at and leave the Bible on the shelf cause it is just chock full of bad bad people

like us without Christ

there is no case to be made regarding the Corinthians by refusing to acknowledge the correction and the fact Paul said do not forbid speaking in tongues

he was obviously saying to them 'don't swing the other way now and forbid tongues'

not gonna argue with you. you know full well what the entire book, never mind passage, states

so then you will swing to tongues are not for now

you will have it any way you want but so will everyone else. it's your personal choice
Again, They can not see ANYTHING which MIGHT show that part of their proof may be wrong.

I happen to agree with you here, the corinthian church was chastened for alot of sins. So to use t to prove tongues, or say Paul ws not chastening them for this to is pretty sad.

E

eternally-gratefull

saved people should be able to control what they say to others even in disagreement

you are a loose cannon, shooting insults and just plain nastiness in this forum
Since I looked to see what DC was talking about, I saw this

Your one to talk. You are just as guilty, the fact you refuse to admit this just hurts your case.

You have two people (actually more) apposed on the issue of tongues and slinging insults and refusing to control what they are saying, then one attacking the other for doing what she herself is doing.

This is sad. Because it hurts both sides, it does not help.

7seasrekeyed

Let's be straight about the spirit behind todays tongues. There is no scriptural support for praying in tongues. How can one expect the Holy Spirit to be involved if it is not scriptural? The problem and it was a problem in Corinth was with tongues that were not according to the scriptural examples of Acts.

You may wish to take the leap to demonic activity involved here but I have come to believe that it is simply the spirit of man that is at the root of the matter. Babel is a prime example of what man can accomplish in the strength of his own will.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

let's be straight about you and your agenda and twisting of what others say

you accuse me of trying to say you are not saved, but take another look at that

if you say that by what I said regarding the spirit of your replies...insulting etc...then you have judged yourself when you say people who speak in tongues do so by the devil

you can conveniently try to state something new now, but the religious fervor with which you attack anyone who says they speak in tongues is far more convincing then your backpedaling is now

I cannot even say 'nice try' to this response. your posts have convinced people here otherwise of just what you do or perhaps I should say do not, believe

you have no idea what I may wish so maybe just take care of your own whatevers

you speak for no one but yourself. others who also disagree have never matched your vitriol

U

UnderGrace

You know, nobody calls "languages" tongues anymore....I am pretty sure it has been since the 1960's since it fell out of vogue

to state "so what is your mother tongue" :rolleyes:

7seasrekeyed

Is she slinging insults and half or non truths about you again Bro?
grow up

you sound like a yappy dog who wants the big dog to like them

I actually have some regard for dconn even though we have a major disagreement on this subject

he doesn't need you clapping in the background :rolleyes:

U

UnderGrace

he was obviously saying to them 'don't swing the other way now and forbid tongues'
Exactly....if people were using their "mother tongue" or a "foreign language" he would not want to silence them, he wanted someone in the congregation who was familiar with that language to translate.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way to understanding scripture.

E

eternally-gratefull

grow up

you sound like a yappy dog who wants the big dog to like them

I actually have some regard for dconn even though we have a major disagreement on this subject

he doesn't need you clapping in the background :rolleyes:
Yep blame shift,

Thanks you just proved me right by slewing an insult

Yet did youo not yell at someon earlier about doing that?

Dec 12, 2013
Exactly....if people were using their "mother tongue" or a "foreign language" he would not want to silence them, he wanted someone in the congregation who was familiar with that language to translate.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way to understanding scripture.
I never said that.....7seas did...........

dcontroversal said: <---I did not make the following quote....7 seas did

U

UnderGrace

I never said that.....7seas did...........

Oops do not know how that happened since said person is on ignore. :) I guess I clicked to see your post or something.....anyway..

If we just see "tongues" as languages....of course it makes sense Paul would not want to censor people, He just wanted it to be translated so everyone could understand, Corinth was very diverse population.

7seasrekeyed

Listen carefully......I never said anything about tongues in my last 6 or 7 posts in this thread.....I stated a statement of FACT and not only have two people red x'ed the truth of my post, NOW you are going on about something I did not even address...no wonder no one takes you guys serious.....I can simply state...the Corinthian church had some 15 errors, was carnal, was immature (all factual) and what do I get....red x's of disagreement, and the above from YOU......

WHAT none of YOU will acknowledge is the SIMPLE TRUTH that the three truths I just LISTED MUST be taken into account WHEN VIEWING the ISSUE they had with TONGUES and the GIFTS in general.....the above I have addressed = a sever lack of HONESTY
well, since the teaching on tongues is found as written to the Corinthians, and this thread is about 'some truth about speaking in tongues' I cannot fathom why you seem to think what I said is off target?

why go on about the nasty Corinthians in which is found the teaching on tongues if you have no application to it?

1. I cannot help if everyone in the forum red circles with a white x what you post as if you have never done the same to others. alas, it was not me and I don't agree with what some others say regarding tongues anyway...as I have stated multiple times and I am not going back to check on the big bad kiddies that x'ed you

2. many many people today IGNORE the teaching in Corinthians concerning tongues and the gifts to EVERYONE's detriment and I have stated that also multiple times

3. FYI, the state of the Corinthian church is sadly all too common in today's lovely houses of worship in all denoms

4. I have stated over and over until even I cannot believe I still have to say so, that the excess in which some people practice...or think they are practicing...spiritual gifts is nothing but a carnal emotional show and they do not speak for God and they lead people astray

so we end up with dead congregations and emotional congregations going off the deep end

neither is correct which is the point I have made since joining this site

Dec 12, 2013
Oops do not know how that happened since said person is on ignore. :) I guess I clicked to see your post or something.....anyway..

If we just see "tongues" as languages....of course it makes sense Paul would not want to censor people, He just wanted it to be translated so everyone could understand, Corinth was very diverse population.
I agree............languages is exactly what was being spoken.....and how it was done is also another bone of contention

E

eternally-gratefull

Is the teaching of tongues written in 1 cor - yes

Where the corinthian church scolded for going obout it in the wrong way (like they did the communion table - Yes

Is there any one who can not understand this basic biblical truth?

Or are we going to ignore the obvious and attack people who see this. Because it does not support our belief system?

7seasrekeyed

The bolded quote you said not me....

which I confirmed by saying that is what he (Paul) said...take it up with him

Paul said do not forbid speaking it tongues

can't be clearer than that

my point being that every time someone states do not speak in tongues, they ignore that while focusing on the negative

I can't help others confusing what they read here

Dec 12, 2013
well, since the teaching on tongues is found as written to the Corinthians, and this thread is about 'some truth about speaking in tongues' I cannot fathom why you seem to think what I said is off target?

why go on about the nasty Corinthians in which is found the teaching on tongues if you have no application to it?

1. I cannot help if everyone in the forum red circles with a white x what you post as if you have never done the same to others. alas, it was not me and I don't agree with what some others say regarding tongues anyway...as I have stated multiple times and I am not going back to check on the big bad kiddies that x'ed you

2. many many people today IGNORE the teaching in Corinthians concerning tongues and the gifts to EVERYONE's detriment and I have stated that also multiple times

3. FYI, the state of the Corinthian church is sadly all too common in today's lovely houses of worship in all denoms

4. I have stated over and over until even I cannot believe I still have to say so, that the excess in which some people practice...or think they are practicing...spiritual gifts is nothing but a carnal emotional show and they do not speak for God and they lead people astray

so we end up with dead congregations and emotional congregations going off the deep end

neither is correct which is the point I have made since joining this site
Was the Corinthian church Spiritually immature?
Was the Corinthian church carnal?
Did the Corinthian church have some 15 or so errors?

BASED upon the fact that some three or so chapters (almost 20% of the letter) were used in the 1st LETTER to address the gifts and the above three truths can I rightfully conclude they had error or issues with the gifts?

E

eternally-gratefull

you would not be insulted if it were not true :ROFL:

yap yap yap
Keep hiding from the fact your doing the very thing you are accusing someone else of doing.

I am not insulted. I could care less what you say or think, I think you should know that by now.

But by defenition it was still an insult. Which proved my case. And once again you are exposed, Two wrongs do not make a right, and you can not judge another, even if he is guilty, if you too are guilty of the same stuff.

Thank you ma'am, Now carry on.

Dec 12, 2013
which I confirmed by saying that is what he (Paul) said...take it up with him

Paul said do not forbid speaking it tongues

can't be clearer than that
You should qualify and say.....THAT IS WHAT PAUL SAID TAKE IT Up with HIM ;)

7seasrekeyed

Was the Corinthian church Spiritually immature?
Was the Corinthian church carnal?
Did the Corinthian church have some 15 or so errors?

BASED upon the fact that some three or so chapters were used in the 1st LETTER to address the gifts and the above three truths can i rightfully conclude they had error or issues with the gifts?
yes
probably more

yes you can. would you kindly acknowledge that is my main gripe with people who abuse the gifts today?