Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
I have not forgotten our bet... I still like my steak done medium. :)
BUT WHAT IF HEAVEN is all VEGETARIAN, in that case you will have to Bake me either a Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting, OR a DARK CHOCOLATE Cake, with Cream Cheese frosting. Your Choice.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
I to want to support a NON-ARGUMENT about this subject, and just agree to disagree. NO NEED FOR TEMPERS TO FLARE. Each side has his or her position, with Biblical Support on both sides. Yes, the Charismatic and the Pentecostals, will have the opposite view point as I do, so instead of arguing, how about we wait until HEAVEN, when we will KNOW as we are KNOWN; to settle the argument.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Amazing you sort out to learn from books and tapes on the subject.
I prayed to Jesus to reveal and lead me to the truth of the full gospel that was preached to me in October 1996.
He did and confirmed the truth of the scriptures by filling me with the Holy Spirit and I spoke forth in a new tongue
exactly as Jesus prophesied that believers would do.
Then came all the other blessings and gifts: miracles, healings; blessings galore.

7seasrekeyed

I'm so tempted to ask you if a donkey ever spoke to you (I'm totally joking with a grain of truth because you and I do not share an understanding of the scriptures with regards to tongues) some levity might help?

If I said yes would it change anything? Would you accept the claim?

come on...no one is going where you are going

Where do you think I am going?

thing is, no matter what scripture is offered, it is promptly denied and you know this

Claims of physical supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit is not about scriptures and you know this. IOW scriptures are not valid evidence of occurances of current physical events.

status quo pretty much

how did you go from what I said about offering scripture to claims of physical supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit when I offered none?

IOW scriptures are not valid evidence of occurances of current physical events
I refer you to what I said at the end of the post you quoted:

further, I do not think or believe a person, church or body of believers, can actually sway, in truth, someone to doubt from scripture without plainly having a personal bias...and you can have that in either direction

truly without prejudice because I worry less and less that God Himself is ignorant of anything that transpires on this globe

He forces no one but can and does answer prayer whenever we prayed at the time that He decides is the right time

as when He sent His Son...He waited for the right time to send Him

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
What do you think about the instances after Acts 2 in which believers spoke in tongues? These aren't identified as specific languages.

MORE than just the specific languages, it actually said:
Acts 2:7-8 (HCSB)
7 And they were astounded and amazed, saying, “Look, aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? {The reason they were astonished that they were Galileans, is they were KNOWN to have a thick ACCENT. Like someone from the deep south of USA, cannot hide their Accent.}
8 How is it that each of us can hear in our own native language? [Dialektos in the Greek is a LANGUAGE, with the correct ACCENT, like they grew up in the SAME VILLAGE.}

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
There are unsaved, newly saved, carnal Christians, and spiritual Christians, most stay at "carnal" level, those who are willing to grow beyond mere salvation will do as Jesus described when He said "greater works than these shall they do". Those unsaved, newly saved and carnal can and often will deny that G-d is the same , yesterday, today and forever and He still heals, raises from the dead, infills with His Holy Spirit.

Mar 28, 2016
"respect to and what does it confirm"????

How about he prove his claim first?

There is nothing to prove and is why the Isaiah 28 foundation is left out when discussing tongues .

Scripture proves scriptures. Scripture proves no such thing as a sign gift. The word sign and gift are not linked together to form (Charismaticism). Signs are for those who rebel. Prophecy the word of God for those who beleive

Experience is the not the validation of the unseen world as it is written (prophecy) alone is

Mar 28, 2016
There are unsaved, newly saved, carnal Christians, and spiritual Christians, most stay at "carnal" level, those who are willing to grow beyond mere salvation will do as Jesus described when He said "greater works than these shall they do". Those unsaved, newly saved and carnal can and often will deny that G-d is the same , yesterday, today and forever and He still heals, raises from the dead, infills with His Holy Spirit.
Raises the dead spiritually through the gospel and healing indiscriminately remains the same . There is no outward sign to indicate or confirm a person had the Holy Spirit . Only God can look on the inside and see faith working .Signs following the work God performed they were used to represent the gospel when God was still brining new revelations .Therefore those kind of signs also ceased.

Seeking after signs as some work we could do is said to be for a evil generation (natural man) no faith coming from the word of God

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
John 16-13 teaches us when Holy Spirit come He will guide us in truth, that is the Christian walk, that is how the spiritual Christian walks, the carnal Christian denies that He guides us this way.
best wishes

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
Trying not to weigh in too heavily on this one as most arguments with respect to what ‘tongues’ is or isn’t can be found on other threads, but just a quick note -

“What do you think about the instances after Acts 2 in which believers spoke in tongues? These aren't identified as specific languages.”

No, they are not specifically identified. To me, there are two simple reasons for this: either the disciples/apostles who were there and later related the incident(s) did not recognize the language, or, given where the incident took place, the language in question was common knowledge; it didn’t need to be specifically stated. It was just one the disciples administering to these people did not speak. Between themselves, both parties involved would have used Greek as the common language (as both parties would have spoken it in various degrees of fluency).

If you’re thinking of something like Ephesus, keep in mind, like Corinth, it was a seaport and a major cultural crossroads. In addition, it was also home to one of the seven wonders of the ancient world; the temple of Artemis. In short, there would have been people there from all over the known world. It seems likely, given the reported narrative of Paul’s encounter, the folks he met were not native Ephesians; thus, not native speakers of Greek. They simply reacted to the situation in their native language – the narrative is silent as to what that language was. Why? Since it wasn't one known to Paul or his companions, they obviously could not report what it was; hence, why it is never named in the narrative. No modern tongues-speech here, just an unnamed rational language.

In any event, in all of these instances, what was spoken was real, rational language; not modern tongues-speech.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Trying not to weigh in too heavily on this one as most arguments with respect to what ‘tongues’ is or isn’t can be found on other threads, but just a quick note -

“What do you think about the instances after Acts 2 in which believers spoke in tongues? These aren't identified as specific languages.”

No, they are not specifically identified. To me, there are two simple reasons for this: either the disciples/apostles who were there and later related the incident(s) did not recognize the language, or, given where the incident took place, the language in question was common knowledge; it didn’t need to be specifically stated. It was just one the disciples administering to these people did not speak. Between themselves, both parties involved would have used Greek as the common language (as both parties would have spoken it in various degrees of fluency).

If you’re thinking of something like Ephesus, keep in mind, like Corinth, it was a seaport and a major cultural crossroads. In addition, it was also home to one of the seven wonders of the ancient world; the temple of Artemis. In short, there would have been people there from all over the known world. It seems likely, given the reported narrative of Paul’s encounter, the folks he met were not native Ephesians; thus, not native speakers of Greek. They simply reacted to the situation in their native language – the narrative is silent as to what that language was. Why? Since it wasn't one known to Paul or his companions, they obviously could not report what it was; hence, why it is never named in the narrative. No modern tongues-speech here, just an unnamed rational language.

In any event, in all of these instances, what was spoken was real, rational language; not modern tongues-speech.
Your comment is refreshingly non-confrontational. :)

However, I disagree with your conclusion, because the point of the record(s) in Acts is that by the Holy Spirit, the new believers were empowered to speak in languages not previously learned. Whether or not the languages were "known" - that is, identifiable as, say, "Farsi" or "Hittite" is simply not stated, and the reason for such is not stated either.

Your conclusion also seems to assume that modern tongues-speech is not real, rational language. While abuses occur, abuses shouldn't define the phenomenon. Nobody has done an exhaustive examination of all "tongues-language" to determine whether it is "real, rational language".

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I believe there have been brain scans that show it is not from the region of the brain associated with regular speech.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Whether or not the languages were "known" - that is, identifiable as, say, "Farsi" or "Hittite" is simply not stated, and the reason for such is not stated either.
Why are you making such a false statement? Here is the record listing at least sixteen known human languages. And Farsi ("Medes") is included.

ACTS 2
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue [LANGUAGE], wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Why are you making such a false statement? Here is the record listing at least sixteen known human languages. And Farsi ("Medes") is included.

ACTS 2
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue [LANGUAGE], wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Since you have made this mistake at least three times in the last week, I will ask this of you:

Do not reply to any post that I make unless you check out the context in which I am posting. You are quick to accuse me of making false statements, but you keep making false statements by ignoring the context.

If you took half a minute to check out the context, you would see that I was CLEARLY responding to another contributor, and the context of that conversation was about instances of tongue-speaking AFTER Acts 2. So, instead of getting your self-righteous nose out of joint, just get it out of my conversation until you do some reasonable homework.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Why do you suppose the Lord never reveals the specific languages spoken?

It is likely that the miracle of tongues was in the ear of the hearer and not in the tongue of the speaker.

How wonderful would it be for a Gentile to speak of the glories of God in Hebrew as a sign to the Jews present that the same Holy Spirit was working in them as in the Jews.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Why do you suppose the Lord never reveals the specific languages spoken?
Why should He?

It is likely that the miracle of tongues was in the ear of the hearer and not in the tongue of the speaker.
According to 1 Cor 14, the person speaking in tongues does not know the language he is speaking, let alone what he is saying. Part of the miracle of Pentecost was that the languages the apostles were given to speak were the languages of the other people present. That is not guaranteed, and almost never happens, which is why when a person speaks in tongues in public, it must be interpreted.

How wonderful would it be for a Gentile to speak of the glories of God in Hebrew as a sign to the Jews present that the same Holy Spirit was working in them as in the Jews.
Every time a gentile Christian (or a Jewish Christian) speaks in tongues he is speaking the wonderful works of God, magnifying God, edifying himself, giving thanks well, and more. The specific language does not matter.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I know several persons who had their Holy Spirit inspired language revealed to them, and always to edify the Gospel and Jesus.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
To try to reply to a few posts above…..

That they were empowered to speak in languages not yet learned in Acts, assumes that what occurred at Pentecost was xenoglossy – I don’t believe it was. Not to get into it (you can see my blog entry for that – “Another Understanding of ‘Tongues” at Pentecost”).

Tongues-speech is not language no matter how you slice and dice it – again, I would kindly refer the reader to my blog entry on the subject, “Why Tongues Are Not Language”.

There have been numerous studies done over the past several decades – though not every known example was studied, enough were to draw some pretty solid conclusions. As an analogy, one does not have to study every tornado that occurs to make some pretty solid conclusions about them.

The SPECT image study done by the Univ. of PA is rather inconclusive – the results can be skewed to fit either a ‘pro’ or ‘con’ view. Language centers of the brain are not overly engaged as ‘tongues’ is not language.

The famous “list” is Acts is not a list of languages; it’s a list of places – not one language is referenced in the entire Pentecost narrative. The list’s inclusion in the narrative was actually done for political reasons. Again, see my blog posts referenced above of tongues at Pentecost.

“Tongues” were a spoken phenomenon, real rational languages; nothing to do with a “miracle of hearing”.