Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
God is not a liar and the word of God is true
it is only your unbelief that is problematic …

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick,
and they shall recover.

Mark 16:
This is where the evidence is, if you can't pick up serpents, what makes you think you are on the right track with tongues?

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Nov 12, 2015
The "longer ending of Mark 16" is one of the least-well attested portions of the New Testament. Using it as a proof text for anything is a bad idea.
The majority of scholars do agree it was added later. Most newer translations leave it in but put it in brackets.

Nov 12, 2015
Gosh sakes waggles. I honestly can't even get into it with you. You cannot grasp it. You should just go on as you have been.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
The majority of scholars do agree it was added later. Most newer translations leave it in but put it in brackets.
You have to understand why they agree:
-It is not there in the earliest manuscripts
-It is only in the gospel according to Mark

These are the two main reasons but these are not evidences that it was an addition. The so called earliest manuscripts are not 1st or 2nd century works, they came much later even prompting others to believe that NT was written much later after the events.; but we know it was written in the 1st century because the bible attests to itself through:

-Prophesy with timelines
-Words used e.g in some places we see it is written "whosoever readeth.." showing clearly the initial intent to record the works because it is not possible that it meant "whosoever will be reading in the 5th century.."
And in Revelation, we see John being commanded to write the scroll real time and also in some part, we see the blood of the lamb being applied tin time when the angel declared "..from NOW ON, those that die in Christ will rest...". It is not possible that the angel meant future but "from now on" means exactly that.

1. It very likely that in the earliest manuscripts there was subtractions, not additions.
2. It is not possible that someone added Mark 16- of what importance or what would they gain if they added it? it's not that it has something, a do or die doctrine.
3. Parts of it are prophesy which were seen fulfilled in Acts, so if anyone is to toss it aside, they also need to question Acts.

Nov 12, 2015
At this particular point, what I am questioning most is if you think Mark was written before Acts...

yellowcanary

May 22, 2018
you do this constantly. you present what YOU think is true, what YOU believe and say the rest of us are flat earthers

no one is falling for it
On any forum where opposing views are discussed, who doesn't do this ? I understand the point DJ2 is making in regards to the illogical reasoning presented by those on other matters and suggesting that todays attempts to validate tongues do likewise. Deflection's present a weak defence.

DJ2

Apr 15, 2017
Why hasn't someone with the "gift" just ask God if Mark 16 only has 8 verses? All this modern day knowledge/prophesy but no answer about such an important issue as the validity of the Word of God? Why depend on human scholars when there are many people here who can simply tell us the answer? Where are the modern day apostles and prophets? Surely they know.

DJ2

Apr 15, 2017
why are you fixated on what Catholics believe? there are none on this thread to argue with so I guess you are 'safe'

I really dislike when someone says they are not doing something...like you regarding anyone has to defend a personal experience...and yet they consistently do it

that hobby horse had his legs broken off pages ago

it's like someone argueing that water is not liquid and then presenting ice

you do this constantly. you present what YOU think is true, what YOU believe and say the rest of us are flat earthers

no one is falling for it
Is this your best response?

I am not calling you a Catholic or a flat-earther but pointing out that you are using the same reasoning as they are.

The same is true for space aliens and Bigfoot. We do not need to investigate every reported sighting to call these beliefs bogus. They are bogus by the nature of the prima facie surrounding the claims.

If the miraculous age of the 1st century never ended would these debates even occur?

Do you not understand the basis of presumptive evidence in decision making? Rest assured, you use it everyday.

7seasrekeyed

Is this your best response?

I am not calling you a Catholic or a flat-earther but pointing out that you are using the same reasoning as they are.

The same is true for space aliens and Bigfoot. We do not need to investigate every reported sighting to call these beliefs bogus. They are bogus by the nature of the prima facie surrounding the claims.

If the miraculous age of the 1st century never ended would these debates even occur?

Do you not understand the basis of presumptive evidence in decision making? Rest assured, you use it everyday.

so now you have resorted to an ad hominem response

you are being defensive and somewhat ridiculous

you do not believe the witnesses of Christians are true and you do not believe that the Bible means what it says, so therefore none of it is true

thankfully, you are not the expert here since you have nothing to show for all your 'wisdom' on the matter

and yes, I responded in the same manner you did...personal...but I guess that is what it boils down to as whether or not you accept what scripture says as truth actually IS personal

apparently you have a big laundry list of what you will allow OTHER PEOPLE to believe according to your gospel

thankfully, the Holy Spirit is not restrained by people who present half truths as do you and several others here

and you cannot get off your soapbox of personal experience as being unsatisfactory to your 'test' of truth

thing is, you have no personal experience to speak of and many here do

you must claim to have lived the last 2000 years or so in order to know all that has transpired with all people all over the world

I consider that presumptive arrogance to say the least

7seasrekeyed

what I have noticed, is that the Holy Spirit is never or hardly ever mentionned by people who insist that God no longers operates as He did in the Bible

it is all human wisdom and human reasoning which only proves that scripture is true when it states that the actual wisdom of the Bible is spiritually discerned

intelligence is not a spiritual gift. operating with the intelligence God blessed you with in the gifts of the Holy Spirit would be IMO

this nonsense blather about bigfoot, aliens and flat earth is an attempt at demonstrating those who believe that God operates supernaturally are in the same category as those who think they parade around on a big slab standing still in space while the sun flies around it

frankly, I wonder that people of that mindset would believe in God, who is Spirit and invisible, at all

there really is no response that is going to make the slightest difference to someone who has determined that God is frozen in time and no longer interacts personally with those who are His

I won't be responding to the bigfoot/alien nonsense any further because it truly is a big waste of time and the same thing is being said from post to post

7seasrekeyed

On any forum where opposing views are discussed, who doesn't do this ? I understand the point DJ2 is making in regards to the illogical reasoning presented by those on other matters and suggesting that todays attempts to validate tongues do likewise. Deflection's present a weak defence.

well, yellowcanary, that is actually not true

scripture has been presented over and over and over...you would not know that since you are new here

scripture is not a personal point of view

perhaps you might understand that DJ2 is defending what are his personal convictions, which do not line up with scripture

if you align yourself with his beliefs, you are not in the position to correct scripture either

do a search on the threads on tongues in this forum.

Mar 28, 2016
God is not a liar and the word of God is true
it is only your unbelief that is problematic …

14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart,
because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick,
and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following.
Amen.
Mark 16:

Yes the signs that followed the preaching of the gospel in that parable . But what's is the spiritual meanings hid in that parable?

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. Mark 16

Again "big difference" that you keep ignoring between requiring a sign before one believes and sign that follow .Its the gospel that cast out demons raising a person to new spirit life

Jesus was not commended the sign seeks in John below .It was a sign against them confirming we must walk by faith (the unseen eternal and not by sight after the things seen the temporal

John 4:48Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

The drinking of poison and taking up of serpents speaks of not be affected by false prophets who bring false prophecy. Its why Christ called those wh0 seek after signs before they will beleive a brood of vipers .

Serpents are always used to represent false prophets who bring damming doctrines of men referred to as poison . And tongues, God brining new prophecy in other languages other that Hebrews confirms God mocking those who mocked prophecy making it to no effect . No new revelation as prophecy for over two thousand years it includes all manner of prophecy to include tongues has ceased.

Why is it necessary yo u go above that which is written ? Is there a law missing that God forgot to add?

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
All of the gifts of the Spirit operate by faith. So if you don't believe...

Mar 28, 2016
what I have noticed, is that the Holy Spirit is never or hardly ever mentionned by people who insist that God no longers operates as He did in the Bible
The Holy Spirit has not changed his method of operation .He is still actively warning those who would add to his words or take away ,

The loving commandment not to add or substract from the now complete book of Prophecy is ignored by those who desire to go above all things written in the law and the prophets .

The Holy Spirit of God is still like the flaming sword in Genesis protecting the integrity of all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura)

Why the need to go above that which is written as if the warning was not in effect yet ?

Mar 28, 2016
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2Timothy 3:
How would that affect those who deny the spiritual understanding hid in parables also called the hidden Manna ?.

When the Apostles in Luke 9 performed that kind of idea (look or walk by sight to the literal understanding, forget the spiritual application) Christ having hid the spiritual understanding three times (three establishes the end of a matter) The apostles would play the childish game "who is the greatest" get venerated the highest . As if Christ was not standing right in from of them.. denying Christ.

But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.
Then there arose a reasoning among them, "which of them should be greatest" .Mark 9:45-46

After the third time (three strikes and you're out) he replied (below)

55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what "manner of spirit" ye are of.

Feb 28, 2016
JOHN 20:30-31.
And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book:
(scroll-document)

But these are written, that you might believe that Jesus is The Christ, The Son of God;
and that believing you might have life through His Name.

JOHN 21:25.
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one,
I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

7seasrekeyed

The Holy Spirit has not changed his method of operation .He is still actively warning those who would add to his words or take away ,

The loving commandment not to add or substract from the now complete book of Prophecy is ignored by those who desire to go above all things written in the law and the prophets .

The Holy Spirit of God is still like the flaming sword in Genesis protecting the integrity of all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura)

Why the need to go above that which is written as if the warning was not in effect yet ?
how does adding to the word apply to what I stated? (by the way, it would be very helpful if you acknowledge who you are actually responding to by quoting rather than just inserting a portion of the post. you can always delete the part you don't wish to address or highlight the part in the post you do wish to address. thanks)

but back to my question? where do you see adding to the word?

perhaps you refer to your own bias?

7seasrekeyed

Why hasn't someone with the "gift" just ask God if Mark 16 only has 8 verses? All this modern day knowledge/prophesy but no answer about such an important issue as the validity of the Word of God? Why depend on human scholars when there are many people here who can simply tell us the answer? Where are the modern day apostles and prophets? Surely they know.
as this is a different objection brought up by you, let me respond

would you believe them if they did?

just more indication of how utterly without bias you are :cool::cool::cool: