Spiritual Gifts what does it mean practically?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

I can repeat Paul's admonition whole heartedly and will highlight HIS main message and what God tells us on the subject.

1 Corinthian 14

13Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. 16Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsiderb say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? 17For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. 18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
19Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue

Dec 28, 2016
Last edited:
A

Ariel82

Would you have listened any other way?
I came at you the same "way", did it make you listen or just angry., hurt and paranoid?

God is beginning to show me responding to people "their way" does not reflect His glory but continues the vicious cycle of bickering.

Therfore I owe you and p4t and apology.

I don't believe either of you support his position of condemning folks who don't speak in tongues as not having the Holy spirit.

I didn't even realize that was his position and belief until I went and read the other thread. Therefore I took his statements as personal attacks instead of what they truly were.

A

Ariel82

Let me ask you directly p4t.,,,do you hate my guts?

because that is the impression I get from you every time you speak to me.

A

Ariel82

Is listening a gift?
It might not be named one in the Bible but I believe it is a fruit of wisdom learned by walking with the Holy spirit.

Listening and actually hearing what others say is an act of love for that person.it reminds us that God know and heard us and that we are not alone,

I speak more hear than in real life.

Most of the time I am the one listening, but I thank God for the folks here that give me a chance to be heard and understood.

It strengthens my faith to speak and witness to God's love and truth in the real world.

I guess that is why I get so mad when folks try and tell me to just shut up or falsely accuse me of beliefs I never said much less believe because my words were misunderstood.

Perhaps it's my fault for perhaps I wasn't clear, it just reminds me God's grace and forgiveness is needed always,

Jan 12, 2018
It might not be named one in the Bible but I believe it is a fruit of wisdom learned by walking with the Holy spirit.

Listening and actually hearing what others say is an act of love for that person.it reminds us that God know and heard us and that we are not alone,

I speak more hear than in real life.

Most of the time I am the one listening, but I thank God for the folks here that give me a chance to be heard and understood.

It strengthens my faith to speak and witness to God's love and truth in the real world.

I guess that is why I get so mad when folks try and tell me to just shut up or falsely accuse me of beliefs I never said much less believe because my words were misunderstood.

Perhaps it's my fault for perhaps I wasn't clear, it just reminds me God's grace and forgiveness is needed always,
Luke 10:38-42 NIV
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. [39] She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. [40] But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” [41] “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, [42] but few things are needed---or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

A

Ariel82

2 Timothy 4

1I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3For the time is coming when people will not endure sounda teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

The words that are highlighted for me today is " complete patience" and "enduring suffering."

How does God teach us patience?

The Bible says it's by testing our faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

davida

Sep 9, 2017
While I do not agree with everything you espouse I will say that one can clearly see that God is teaching you and you have a quality dear to the heart of God......humility and a desire to please Him which shows in your responses to those of differing opinions and if that's not a run on sentence I have never seen one. Lol

God bless you, sistet.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Seek the kingdom is what Jesus said. He did not say seek love! Love sent Him, there's nothing to seek, it was given.
God, the Holy Spirit says through Paul in 1Cor 14v1:

“Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.”

You might want to try this!

A

Ariel82

While I do not agree with everything you espouse I will say that one can clearly see that God is teaching you and you have a quality dear to the heart of God......humility and a desire to please Him which shows in your responses to those of differing opinions and if that's not a run on sentence I have never seen one. Lol

God bless you, sistet.
i am okay with people not agreeing with me. i just seek people who want to learn what God says also and for us to work closer to always agreeing with God. then in time we will learn to agree with one another, for we have the same Spirit and should be of the same mind.

however i recognize we are all growing and God teaches different things at different times in our lives.

anyway thanks for your kind words and for everyone who has contributed.

i am signing off CC for the most part ( i sometimes don't check this site for months). if anyone wants a conversation, just pm me.

i don't plan on posting on the forums for a spell, but who knows i might.

life is too short to waste time defending oneself.

so may God bless and keep you. May His light shine upon you and Light your steps all of your days.

A

Ariel82

feel free to continue posting and talking, just wanted to tell folks why i may not respond immediately. God willing i will check back as He leads.

Z

Zi

thats love with one another Not love from or of God..

anyone who says His love has to be directly sought out hasnt read right.. period

I was adressing what she said. This response has nothing to do with what I was specifically saying

Thanks tho
God, the Holy Spirit says through Paul in 1Cor 14v1:

“Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.”

You might want to try this!

P

pottersclay

Could you expand on what you mean?

How do you see they are related?
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his rightousness and all
shall be added unto you.

Spiritual gifts are not for the givers benefit but for the unbeliever, and for the exhortation of the church. It starts with a giving heart that stays humble.
Giving out of abundances means nothing but when you give for the love of the father's concern then you are on the right path.
The hardest thing for one to do is give financially. God knows this, and the promise in Malachi are not just for the priests.
Love, Giving, and forgiving are all demonstrated in John 3:16.
By learning to give without question in joy of obedience (because it pleases the father to give you the kingdom) your heart and intentions are god motivated.
If we apply this to our lives we develop a giving heart that is now fit for the Masters use.
Jesus said you cannot serve God and Mammon (money) so if your counting your giving then you have a bit of work to do.
When zacharias talked about repayment Jesus said surely
Salvation has come to his house.
The women who gave a penny, all she had received a life time of blessings.
Jesus talks about money and wealth more than anything and it's effects on the heart.
The rich young ruler for example even the prodigal son.
Spiritual gifts are for others minded people, not a gift or gifts given to the more faithful, it is gifts from God who is the gift giver. Given to those who are like minded.

P

pottersclay

In the book of acts Peter said gold and silver have I none but this is what I have. Why was Peter's first response of wealth???? But what did reslove the whole matter? A giving ??????.

A

Ariel82

Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his rightousness and all
shall be added unto you.

Spiritual gifts are not for the givers benefit but for the unbeliever, and for the exhortation of the church. It starts with a giving heart that stays humble.
Giving out of abundances means nothing but when you give for the love of the father's concern then you are on the right path.
The hardest thing for one to do is give financially. God knows this, and the promise in Malachi are not just for the priests.
Love, Giving, and forgiving are all demonstrated in John 3:16.
By learning to give without question in joy of obedience (because it pleases the father to give you the kingdom) your heart and intentions are god motivated.
If we apply this to our lives we develop a giving heart that is now fit for the Masters use.
Jesus said you cannot serve God and Mammon (money) so if your counting your giving then you have a bit of work to do.
When zacharias talked about repayment Jesus said surely
Salvation has come to his house.
The women who gave a penny, all she had received a life time of blessings.
Jesus talks about money and wealth more than anything and it's effects on the heart.
The rich young ruler for example even the prodigal son.
Spiritual gifts are for others minded people, not a gift or gifts given to the more faithful, it is gifts from God who is the gift giver. Given to those who are like minded.
As long as the mind we are like is God. Amen.

I wonder if I will get in trouble for not listening to the Rabbi's sermon on the importance of keeping promises?

longtrekker

Sep 23, 2014
Don’t stay away too long ! - I’ve read some of your missives before and think u bring some great insights to CC. I for one have learned a thing or two from u!

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I came at you the same "way", did it make you listen or just angry., hurt and paranoid?

God is beginning to show me responding to people "their way" does not reflect His glory but continues the vicious cycle of bickering.

Therfore I owe you and p4t and apology.

I don't believe either of you support his position of condemning folks who don't speak in tongues as not having the Holy spirit.

I didn't even realize that was his position and belief until I went and read the other thread. Therefore I took his statements as personal attacks instead of what they truly were.
Just to let you know, I was neither hurt, paranoid or angry. Why be any of those things when you have experienced what you are speaking about. That was my point, you can't teach what you don't understand. Or you will shake.

If I posted error, then I would apologize. And the Lord has not reprimanded me.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
thats love with one another Not love from or of God..

anyone who says His love has to be directly sought out hasnt read right.. period

I was adressing what she said. This response has nothing to do with what I was specifically saying

Thanks tho
Hi Zi

People like to throw this at anyone that knows truth. Well, the truth is that love, Gods love, is given a gift to us, it's not of us either.

Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

God has equipped us fully to do His will. Our inheritance, the new covenant. Holy Spirit.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
I do not condemn people because they do not have the Holy Spirit
nor have I posted
that Christians are not saved because they do not have the Holy Spirit

If you do not have the Holy Spirit as clearly designated in the
scriptures then you do not have the indwelling Holy Spirit.
Thus it behoves disciples to seek for the Holy Spirit in accordance
with the scriptures.

Quoting the scriptures as to the truth of being born new by water
baptism and Holy Spirit baptism ought to be a motivation to read
the scriptures, pray and submit to the gospel preached by Jesus
and the Apostles.

I have never posted that salvation is limited or restricted or only
for praying in tongues Spirit-filled Pentecostal worshippers.