Suggestions: Posts over a year old, and over 150 posts should be closed.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020

I have been to many other forums in the past, and visit many even now. I have found that posts over a year old, even if still 'active' by people posting in them, become entirely distant from their OP on most occasions, and in many instances the originator of the OP, is not around to further comment (though it is not always the case).

Also, I have found that after 150 posts the posts become stagnant, and cyclical, rehashing the same thoughts, and in some instance becomes nothing but Uh-Huh - Nuh-uh after awhile. It is better, as I have seen to set a limit on either the number of pages of posts (it doesn't have to be 150), and let the originator post again, or have another person begin a new thread and start again, while referencing an old closed post if necessary.

I have just witnessed a thread (Not by works - https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/not-by-works.146296/ ) that is from 2017, with over 10 Million views (most of which are bots or crawlers being counted). I have never seen that in any other forums I have been to. It has over 6,440 pages! No one, is even going to bother with even 1/100th of it from today or in future. Most people barely know how to scroll back ten pages let alone 100. Not that I have anything against the originator or what has transpired in the thread, but that, in the opinion of this user, is well beyond the time to close and start over.

In fact, it was seeing this, that brought me to these suggestions.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You find something unique and you want to have it squashed, and give user incompetence as a reason? Many forums are set up to have inactive threads fall off the back end as new ones take their place. Why is that not acceptable to you? As a new member here, why should your opinion be more important than the however many number of people who regularly post in the active thread you have singled out?

bojack

Dec 16, 2019

I have been to many other forums in the past, and visit many even now. I have found that posts over a year old, even if still 'active' by people posting in them, become entirely distant from their OP on most occasions, and in many instances the originator of the OP, is not around to further comment (though it is not always the case).

Also, I have found that after 150 posts the posts become stagnant, and cyclical, rehashing the same thoughts, and in some instance becomes nothing but Uh-Huh - Nuh-uh after awhile. It is better, as I have seen to set a limit on either the number of pages of posts (it doesn't have to be 150), and let the originator post again, or have another person begin a new thread and start again, while referencing an old closed post if necessary.

I have just witnessed a thread (Not by works - https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/not-by-works.146296/ ) that is from 2017, with over 10 Million views (most of which are bots or crawlers being counted). I have never seen that in any other forums I have been to. It has over 6,440 pages! No one, is even going to bother with even 1/100th of it from today or in future. Most people barely know how to scroll back ten pages let alone 100. Not that I have anything against the originator or what has transpired in the thread, but that, in the opinion of this user, is well beyond the time to close and start over.

To each his own .. I go through my posts ever so often and sometimes I remember one I posted and go back to find it .. But it's up to the owner .. I got ''reminded'' in an older post about islam I responded to that was a couple yrs old that it was old .. MM OK

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014

The thread you mention here is posted on DAILY by the people in that forum. It would be ridiculous to "close it and start over".. Now if that thread was rarely posted on, it would eventually fall off the page as new ones replace it..

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
but we don't have a winner yet in 'last person to post wins!!!'

why would we close that thread before the contest is completed?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

There is that too! Some threads are not meant to end or be closed due to some random criteria, as long as they are active, being posted in on a regular basis by any number of members. Looking at the Introduction's Forum, the posts go back more than ten years. BDF has almost 2,000 threads that go back that far also. So does the Family Forum. News and Music go back to 2012. Anyone can activate those old threads at any time (though generally it is discouraged), and that is the way the system is set up. I myself have a couple of threads that I would not want closed simply because they are more than a year old and have more than 150 posts. I created them specifically to be ongoing. One of them is my Scripture Art thread, which I have been adding to fairly regularly since its creation in November of 2018 :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

I believe that most of the members on this site are capable of scrolling back any number of pages if they are so inclined. If the current posts seemed to be distant from the OP the reason may be that the posts are actually part of an ongoing conversation and are a reflection of the current state of thought. Whether the OP is still active or even still a member is irrelevant. Any member is free to start their own thread on any topic of choice or create a similar thread. Your suggestion, regardless of the merit, is not going to happen. Glad to have you join in on the conversation though that take place in the forums. Welcome to CC.

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
I see fangs bared, when my suggestion was to be helpful, not hurtful. I withdraw the comments/suggestions. I suggest that this suggestion be closed, but this is only a suggestion. I pray my head still remains in so suggesting. :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I see fangs bared, when my suggestion was to be helpful, not hurtful. I withdraw the comments/suggestions. I suggest that this suggestion be closed, but this is only a suggestion. I pray my head still remains in so suggesting. :)
I do not see any fangs. Threads rarely get removed unless they are breaking the rules, in extreme cases of abuse, or terribly heretical. This does not qualify. Still, it is at the discretion of a forum moderator.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
I enjoy going back and reading some of my old posts from years ago. No matter how old my posts may get, I never know when that certain person may come across one and touches them in a special way.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
Actually when I die , which I was told by my Dr 5 yrs ago to get my affairs in order, LOLOL, I told her to ''never say anything like that to me again, I don't think like that'' .. If these posts are still around it may be something interesting for my sons to look through some of my posts after I'm gone and when they have time or interest .. I found a couple old work and a church records of my grandfather after he died and I cherished them ..

K

Kim82

I have found that posts over a year old, even if still 'active' by people posting in them, become entirely distant from their OP
Yes, this happens when people won't stay focussed on the topic. IMG_20200226_144055_270.JPG

K

Kim82

I don't mean to go off topic, but what is vespers material?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014

Oh i won that thread over and over again. Did no one tell you. Oh you won it too, over and over? Lol

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think it would be silly to delete threads like the one you mentioned for the reason that if they are bothersome, for whatever reason, then choose not to participate. We don't have to engage in things if we don't want to, eh?

I think one of the coolest, most profound gifts that He has given us in life = choice.

7seasrekeyed

"I see fangs bared'

put that in your signature

it's a great intro to the way you see others from your perch in a banana tree ;):LOL:

E

EleventhHour

Everything is searchable so you point is moot.

G

Godsgirl83

Last I checked (which was earlier this morning) it was ME!!!! Soooooo :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: guess it's the end of the thread and time to close? ;););) (hey I'm trying)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
oh dang I keep posting in old threads.
Am I not supposed to? I have been here more than a year and sometimes I like to look back on my old threads especially if there are any loose ends I want to tie up.

you can always post a new thread if you dont want to rehash an old one, but people will get suspicious if you just name it exaclty the same thing as the old one. But you can do that if you want and just say such and such thread 2020. This thread is valid for one year only!

Status
Not open for further replies.