Supernatural Living

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 24, 2018
November 15, 2018

In Facebook I saw this: “Why what is about romance? Is but natural for lovers to have romance especially to married people?” But since 1990 I have been teaching and counseling for Ephesians 5 marriages. Most marriages in the USA were not Holy Spirit urged marriages. In other words, they were not marriages put together by God, but were put together because of selfish sexual desires (not agapè LOVE Holy Spirit urged) because of lack of knowledge about what are the requirements of a God-pleasing marriage. But later I responded to the word “natural” in that statement in Facebook by indicating that means just common. But God wants better for His adopted children which is supernatural living. The latter actually means “above the natural”. What does that mean, in church and outside church? Refer to Bible verses or/and passages.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
But later I responded to the word “natural” in that statement in Facebook by indicating that means just common
I always found the term 'supernatural' to be somewhat of a paradox since anything which is natural is something which either exists or occurs in nature. Thus if we define nature as being of this physical world then how could anything be which is know or observed in the world be considered supernatural since the supernatural would be have to be something which that does occur in nature and neither would it ever have existed in this natural world.

But using your defintion of naural, would those individuals whose forced migration from the Western ports of Africa to the Americas meet your definition of supernatural since they would not have been common when they first beginning arriving here. Which begs the question does the supernatural simply become natural as it becomes more common?

However I can see your point about nature having a marked distinction, but I think the distinction between the two is not between their substance but rather their form which is the reason I think that nature is better described as the natural, being the nature which is commonly seen and observed and the divine nature which is not an exception to nature, nor existing outside nature but rather the nature which is less seen and observed.

As far a examples in scriptures, I would suggest one look this one:

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Super natural is something the would be supeior to nature or to something in its natural state of existence. You could even say extranatural and get away with it.

Oct 24, 2018
I always found the term 'supernatural' to be somewhat of a paradox since anything which is natural is something which either exists or occurs in nature. Thus if we define nature as being of this physical world then how could anything be which is know or observed in the world be considered supernatural since the supernatural would be have to be something which that does occur in nature and neither would it ever have existed in this natural world.

But using your defintion of naural, would those individuals whose forced migration from the Western ports of Africa to the Americas meet your definition of supernatural since they would not have been common when they first beginning arriving here. Which begs the question does the supernatural simply become natural as it becomes more common?

However I can see your point about nature having a marked distinction, but I think the distinction between the two is not between their substance but rather their form which is the reason I think that nature is better described as the natural, being the nature which is commonly seen and observed and the divine nature which is not an exception to nature, nor existing outside nature but rather the nature which is less seen and observed.

As far a examples in scriptures, I would suggest one look this one:

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

***I don't understand you. What you describe is not supernatural to me. And by the way I went Eastward 6 times to Nigeria and back to the USA. The only things that were supernatural were my adapting to doing such travel (I was very meek and paranoid during my childhood) and having divine appointments (opportunities) to share spiritually with others as the Holy Spirit guided. After doing such, I was filled with divine peace and divine joy.

Oct 24, 2018
Super natural is something the would be supeior to nature or to something in its natural state of existence. You could even say extranatural and get away with it.
But how does that apply to true Christian living? And what are Bible examples of and exhortations for?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
But how does that apply to true Christian living? And what are Bible examples of and exhortations for?
When it comes to faith in Jesus Chrit this question is over my head and will always remain there. My comment above is just to explain tht supernatural is a word and what it should mean.

I apply nothing to God's Word, rather it flows and when the Holy Spirit imparts understanding to me, I understand. Please do not ask me to go the intellectual route with others while our father receives thos who turn and become as children...this is how all should be.

Oct 24, 2018
When it comes to faith in Jesus Chrit this question is over my head and will always remain there. My comment above is just to explain tht supernatural is a word and what it should mean.

I apply nothing to God's Word, rather it flows and when the Holy Spirit imparts understanding to me, I understand. Please do not ask me to go the intellectual route with others while our father receives thos who turn and become as children...this is how all should be.

***I am not wanting intellectualism. I don't even like intellectual preaching. The Greek word for "know" in the New Testament is mostly in bad contexts. The Greek words for know meaning "absolute" and "experiential" are by far more prevalent in the New Testament. By question was for such.

On May 3, 2013, late at night, the following questions came to mind.
Which logical order of importance should they be sorted and what are your responses?

What does a God-pleasing day include?

What does a God-pleasing church include?

What does a God-pleasing marriage include?

What does a God-pleasing family include?

What does a God-pleasing prayer include?

What does a God-pleasing Bible study include?

What does a God-pleasing church outreach include?

What does a God-pleasing fun or vacation include?

What does Philippians 4:4-8 mean in actual living?

What does Philippians 2:1-5 mean in actual living?

What does Ephesians 4:11-16 mean in actual living?

What does Jude 20-23 mean in actual living?

presidente

May 29, 2013
November 15, 2018

In Facebook I saw this: “Why what is about romance? Is but natural for lovers to have romance especially to married people?” But since 1990 I have been teaching and counseling for Ephesians 5 marriages. Most marriages in the USA were not Holy Spirit urged marriages. In other words, they were not marriages put together by God, but were put together because of selfish sexual desires (not agapè LOVE Holy Spirit urged) because of lack of knowledge about what are the requirements of a God-pleasing marriage. But later I responded to the word “natural” in that statement in Facebook by indicating that means just common. But God wants better for His adopted children which is supernatural living. The latter actually means “above the natural”. What does that mean, in church and outside church? Refer to Bible verses or/and passages.
I'll argue for the other side of the coin on the marriage issue. There is this guy named Doug on YouTube who is always talking about supernatural experiences, a vision of a 'red dragon.' I saw a video of his own marriage, and the gist of his belief is that if you marry someone and Jesus did not tell you to marry him or her, that you may not really be genuinely married in the eyes of God.

I find that kind of thinking dangerous. God ordained marriage in Genesis. In the Torah, fathers are entrusted with getting their daughter's married off. The father accepts the bride price for virgins. In Jewish tradition, women had to consent to marriage, too. Rebekah consented before marrying Isaac. It seems unlikely that most marriages in the Old Testament were put together because someone sensed God was supernaturally pushing him or her to marry another person. In the case of Isaac and Rebekah, Abraham prayed for God to send an angel before his servant, and the servant experienced a spectacular answer to prayer that indicated for him and the others involved that it was God's will for Rebekah to marry Isaac.

As the captivity began, the Lord spoke through a prophet to the captives in Babylon to find wives for their sons and husbands for their daughters. Again, this is a 'mundane' way of finding spouses, but in line with the plan God set in motion in Genesis.

It's great if the Lord directs you to get married to a certain individual. With my wife, we both sensed the Lord was in us getting married. I prayed about it and sensed the Lord was speaking to me, but I wish now I had had more faith that it was God. After I'd prayed through and I was absolutely confident to propose, that it was the will of God, someone prophesied over us that we would go to many places and minister to many people. So, yes, there was some 'supernatural stuff' in my experience.

But on the other hand, Paul tells Christians, 'If you marry, you have not sinned." There are a lot of things we need to be concerned about in choosing who to marry, but if we do all that right, it is not a sin to marry. You do not have to have a supernatural experience direct you in who to marry for your marriage to be legitimate.

And according to the Bible, it is better to marry than to burn. If you cannot contain, get married. So getting married because of lust-- if done right, that may be a legitimate reason. At least, it is legitimate to get married because the struggle with temptation is too great as opposed to choosing life-long celibacy. But Christians should marry Christians and stay celibate before marriage or for life if they never marry. I'd also say getting direction from God on who to marry is better than not doing so. It is important to pray and get peace about major life decisions, and marriage certainly qualifies as one.