Talking to the dead.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 22, 2019
im a human that is not in the business of contacting the dead.
"there should not be FOUND AMONG YOU ONE WHO does these things". NOT just CONTACTING another who does them.

nowhere does this verse say only those who contact those in the "business of" the occult.

due to your inability to grasp simple logic I fear that you, by having opened the door to the occult, are currently being confused by demons who are deceiving your mind.

rebuke them in the name of Jesus and repent!

J

jaybird88

"there should not be FOUND AMONG YOU ONE WHO does these things". NOT just CONTACTING another who does them.

nowhere does this verse say that you only contact those in the "business of" the occult.

due to your inability to grasp simple logic I fear that you, by having opened the door to the occult, are currently being confused by demons who are deceiving your mind.

rebuke them in the name of Jesus and repent!
do what things? ohh yeah, it says right there
Deuteronomy 18:11
or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead,

"one who" . . seems to be the part that confuses you. we dont talk to the dead like we were talking to someone standing next to us, it takes a special skill, learned by these mediums and necromancers. "inquires" means charm, magic. in other words its using means outside of the Lord. hope this helps you but im thinking no matter how many facts i throw out there you are going to cling on to your pre set conclusion.

Mar 22, 2019
do what things? ohh yeah, it says right there
Deuteronomy 18:11
or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead,

"one who" . . seems to be the part that confuses you. we dont talk to the dead like we were talking to someone standing next to us, it takes a special skill, learned by these mediums and necromancers. "inquires" means charm, magic. in other words its using means outside of the Lord. hope this helps you but im thinking no matter how many facts i throw out there you are going to cling on to your pre set conclusion.
At this point I am convinced you are being deceived by a demon, having already been involved with the occult.

Christian friends, please pray for this man!

p.s. it takes no special skill, only contact with a demon, for necromancy is nothing but contacting demons.

K

Kim82

I don't think we should waste time on this one. The only people who should speak to the dead are those who have power to make them come alive again. Such as when Jesus raised back Lazarus to life.

Trying to contact dead people to tell them you love them or you miss them etc is forbidden.

Ofcourse you continue to love them and keep them in your memory, and yes its devastating, traumatising and hard to bury a loved one. But we have to let them go.

The holy spirit is our comforter. Let us contact that spirit for comfort and not the devil. Because really, it is not your actual loved one that you contact, but rather an evil spirit of satan.

Mar 22, 2019
I don't think we should waste time on this one. The only people who should speak to the dead are those who have power to make them come alive again. Such as when Jesus raised back Lazarus to life.

Trying to contact dead people to tell them you love them or you miss them etc is forbidden.

Ofcourse you continue to love them and keep them in your memory, and yes its devastating, traumatising and hard to bury a loved one. But we have to let them go.

The holy spirit is our comforter. Let us contact that spirit for comfort and not the devil. Because really, it is not your actual loved one that you contact, but rather an evil spirit of satan.
It's true we cannot speak to the dead. However, people can be deceived into speaking with demons who they are fooled into believing are their dead relatives. God forbids it for good reason. I agree with what you wrote above.

J

jaybird88

im just so thankful that i do not have your logic or i would be in big trouble. i would read passages such as Mt 17 and have to conclude Jesus was involved in forbidden ways.

Matthew 17
17 And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him.

didnt Moses die, yet there he is on the mountain talking with Jesus.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
Of contacting the dead is wrong, then Jesus' disciples should have dismissed His post-resurrection contacts as either demonic or hallucinatory! The appearances of Moses and Elijah at the Transfiguration should by that argument similarly be dismissed. And the prophecy quoted by Peter in Acts 2 about "visions" as a latter day sign should be ignored as spiritually dangerous. True, a deliberate effort to set out to contact the dead is necromancy and is condemned by Scripture. But when the righteous dead take the initiative to contact us, that is divine revelation to be treasured. Hence, NDEs and ADCs should be treated as divinely sanctioned visions sent to bless and comfort. Of course, like any spiritual gift, discernment is necessary in particular cases.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Why is communicating with the dead forbidden in most churches? Does the bible say any and every form of contact is off limits?
Any conversation with a deceased loved one would be probably be a one-way conversation but who is to say that this loved one could not hear you. Yes, the person had died, and maybe was in the grave for years but God is not constrained by man's concept of time. You die, dead for a 100 years yet for the deceased there is no consciousness of the elapsed time. Dead one second, with the Lord the next second.

God always was, is, and always will be. Yes, even though the person is dead that you are talking to and in the grave, in God's construct of time that person is actually in heaven at the moment that you are talking to them. There is certainly nothing wrong with saying good-bye to a loved one. I did this when my late second wife died a premature death. It brought comfort to me even though I realized that I was probably just talking to myself.

Personally, I really don't give squat what some church forbids but rather only what God forbids. Jesus talked to Lazarus who was dead for 4 days and told him to wake up. The thing about the 4 days, I read somewhere that this is the official length of time before a person could be declared dead by either Jewish law or tradition and that was the only reason that Jesus tarried a bit when He heard that his friend was near death. He didn't want anyone of Jewish origin to claim that the guy wasn't dead before Jesus made him rise out of the grave because he was not dead the official 4 day period. Interesting.

J

jaybird88

p.s. it takes no special skill, only contact with a demon, for necromancy is nothing but contacting demons.
well if it took no special skill then there would be no ned to contact the demon now would there? wow . .

Mar 22, 2019
Any conversation with a deceased loved one would be probably be a one-way conversation but who is to say that this loved one could not hear you. Yes, the person had died, and maybe was in the grave for years but God is not constrained by man's concept of time. You die, dead for a 100 years yet for the deceased there is no consciousness of the elapsed time. Dead one second, with the Lord the next second.

God always was, is, and always will be. Yes, even though the person is dead that you are talking to and in the grave, in God's construct of time that person is actually in heaven at the moment that you are talking to them. There is certainly nothing wrong with saying good-bye to a loved one. I did this when my late second wife died a premature death. It brought comfort to me even though I realized that I was probably just talking to myself.

Personally, I really don't give squat what some church forbids but rather only what God forbids. Jesus talked to Lazarus who was dead for 4 days and told him to wake up. The thing about the 4 days, I read somewhere that this is the official length of time before a person could be declared dead by either Jewish law or tradition and that was the only reason that Jesus tarried a bit when He heard that his friend was near death. He didn't want anyone of Jewish origin to claim that the guy wasn't dead before Jesus made him rise out of the grave because he was not dead the official 4 day period. Interesting.

ATTEMPTS AT COMMUNICATION WITH THE DEAD IS FORBIDDEN BY GOD AND IS AN OCCULT PRACTICE THAT WILL RESULT IN DEMONS ENTERING YOUR LIFE!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
asking the Lord to say goodby to your wife of 50 years is necromancy? are you sure on that one? where can we confirm this one in scripture?
Saying goodbye to a wife of 50 years is more like normalcy rather than necromancy.

J

jaybird88

Only if she is still alive!

If she is dead, she cannot hear you, you are doing necromancy and talking with demons!
is this what Jesus did on the mountain when He was talking with Moses?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Only if she is still alive!

If she is dead, she cannot hear you, you are doing necromancy and talking with demons!
It really doesn't matter if she can hear you or not, the point is that doing this may bring comfort to the bereaved. I really don't think that it is forbidden in scripture for someone to talk to themselves. I do this often as a matter of normalcy.

J

jaybird88

AS PREVIOUSLY NOTED, IT IS FULLY BACKED BY MANY SCRIPTURES WHICH I QUOTED PREVIOUSLY. THIS IS NOT OPINION.
all you proved is it is forbidden to go to mediums. and i never said different. keep trying.