Taylor swift's new song.....advice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Quiettime

Oct 15, 2017
My daughter is obsesed with taylor swift. Her latest song and music video celebrates Pride and mocks Christianity. Paints a very ugly image of christians. Sadly in the last few years my daughter (age 19) has gone from committed Christian to far left social justice activist who gets all of her views from liberal twitter accounts and celebrities. Her favorites are taylor swift and lady gaga. She no longer goes to church and will not go to any church that does not affirm gay marriage. We clash a lot over our views. I dont bring up controversial issues because I know it will only cause conflict but she does. She often expresses her outrage over conservative viewpoints and this culture views christians as stupid, bigoted, hateful idiots who still live in the dark ages. It's like walking on egg shells. My question is, how do I respond to her when she ask what I think of Taylor's video and how much she hates the christians that go to gay pride events with their anti gay signs that say " gays are going to hell " and things like that. Its very hard to talk to her without her getting mad. She strongly feels that its ridiculous and hateful to think homosexuality is wrong simply because an ancient book says so and its now 2019. Can really use advice....thanks

Dec 29, 2018
Simply take one of the twitter posts she is fond of or asks about and do what the Bereans did in acts, search the Scriptures to see if it's true. Let her see who has the authority in your life. God not the culture. She is testing your boundaries. If she asked an open ended question take the expanded answer route with the Word in hand. Show her a solid foundation.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Hi Quiet time...
Remember what Jesus said
Matthew 10.33:35
The Sword of the Gospel
33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven. 34 Do not assume that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn ‘A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.…

Whatever you do sister , stand your ground , stand on the Rock of Christ , and glorify your Father in heaven , and all you can do is pray for her , I will pray for you now , and remember , Jesus is right , your daughter is wrong , no matter how she plays with you...

When she sees that you will now bow down to her ways , your example of leading her back to the truth will pay off...Lead by example , we mothers have a very hard job with our adult children , pray and leave her in Gods hands , God will deal with her...xox...

7seasrekeyed

My daughter is obsesed with taylor swift. Her latest song and music video celebrates Pride and mocks Christianity. Paints a very ugly image of christians. Sadly in the last few years my daughter (age 19) has gone from committed Christian to far left social justice activist who gets all of her views from liberal twitter accounts and celebrities. Her favorites are taylor swift and lady gaga. She no longer goes to church and will not go to any church that does not affirm gay marriage. We clash a lot over our views. I dont bring up controversial issues because I know it will only cause conflict but she does. She often expresses her outrage over conservative viewpoints and this culture views christians as stupid, bigoted, hateful idiots who still live in the dark ages. It's like walking on egg shells. My question is, how do I respond to her when she ask what I think of Taylor's video and how much she hates the christians that go to gay pride events with their anti gay signs that say " gays are going to hell " and things like that. Its very hard to talk to her without her getting mad. She strongly feels that its ridiculous and hateful to think homosexuality is wrong simply because an ancient book says so and its now 2019. Can really use advice....thanks
very sorry to read about the behavior of your daughter

I don't agree with signs telling people they are going to hell but not for the reasons your daughter sides with

tell her that ALL unrepentant sinners are separated from God and not just homosexuals

sounds like she is still living with you and if that is the case, she should respect that fact and not discuss issues in the house that create an atmosphere that you find very uncomfortable

simply do not engage her in any way and rebuke that spirit in the name of Jesus in prayer and even to her face if she persists

we are engaged in a battle that is spiritual in nature and we have to realize that and act accordingly

I can imagine how much this conflict with your daughter hurts you, but you have to deal with it in some way

shutting this anger and rebellion down in your own home is your option and your right and prayer against this invasion of demonic spirits that operate through people who agree with the moral decline is another tactic

apart from that, you cannot really your stop your daughter, but you can have some peace and you can know that God sees it all and we are to always take His view on these things

again, prayer against these things and not allowing her to continue to harass are 2 things you can do right now

U

UnderGrace

Sin has consequences for us physically, emotionally, spiritually and psychologically (soul) so it is not that the teachings of the Bible are antiquated, those effects still exist, this may be the part she does not understand or realize.

There are plenty of studies in medical journals that document these effects so even though the world tries to labels as hateful it is actually the complete opposite.

That she has made this such a strong focus in her life makes me wonder if there is some underlying reasons for it?

Some girls can go through a time where they challenge their moms and want to be the exact opposite of their moms..... I guess I would ask her if there is more going on here ?

Quiettime

Oct 15, 2017
Simply take one of the twitter posts she is fond of or asks about and do what the Bereans did in acts, search the Scriptures to see if it's true. Let her see who has the authority in your life. God not the culture. She is testing your boundaries. If she asked an open ended question take the expanded answer route with the Word in hand. Show her a solid foundation.
Sadly she is rejecting the bible as the true word of God. That's also the message of this culture. This generation is leaving their faith en mass. They say the bible was written by men, books were selected by the church in order to control people. Atheism is on the rise. They are all over social media with the sole purpose of destroying the faith of young people. We live in a time where evil is celebrated and embraced. So sad

Quiettime

Oct 15, 2017
very sorry to read about the behavior of your daughter

I don't agree with signs telling people they are going to hell but not for the reasons your daughter sides with

tell her that ALL unrepentant sinners are separated from God and not just homosexuals

sounds like she is still living with you and if that is the case, she should respect that fact and not discuss issues in the house that create an atmosphere that you find very uncomfortable

simply do not engage her in any way and rebuke that spirit in the name of Jesus in prayer and even to her face if she persists

we are engaged in a battle that is spiritual in nature and we have to realize that and act accordingly

I can imagine how much this conflict with your daughter hurts you, but you have to deal with it in some way

shutting this anger and rebellion down in your own home is your option and your right and prayer against this invasion of demonic spirits that operate through people who agree with the moral decline is another tactic

apart from that, you cannot really your stop your daughter, but you can have some peace and you can know that God sees it all and we are to always take His view on these things

again, prayer against these things and not allowing her to continue to harass are 2 things you can do right now
Thank you. I pray that the holy spirit will open her eyes

Quiettime

Oct 15, 2017
Sin has consequences for us physically, emotionally, spiritually and psychologically (soul) so it is not that the teachings of the Bible are antiquated, those effects still exist, this may be the part she does not understand or realize.

There are plenty of studies in medical journals that document these effects so even though the world tries to labels as hateful it is actually the complete opposite.

That she has made this such a strong focus in her life makes me wonder if there is some underlying reasons for it?

Some girls can go through a time where they challenge their moms and want to be the exact opposite of their moms..... I guess I would ask her if there is more going on here ?
Yes, she does criticize my modesty and how I don't curse or watch programs that glamorous sin

U

UnderGrace

Yes, she does criticize my modesty and how I don't curse or watch programs that glamorous sin

She has found something to drive a wedge in your relationship because she knows that you have a different view, and she is looking for ways to expose what she regards as your sins.

My feeling is there is rebellious against biblical values and more going on....we cannot change the other person but we can change how we respond and interact.

I really think you need to find a pastor or someone you trust who can give some sound advice, sometimes having a script on how to respond can be very helpful since it helps avoid the traps that people set out when they want to engage us in an argument.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
My question is, how do I respond to her when she ask what I think of Taylor's video and how much she hates the christians....
Since she is 19 and has apparently made up her mind that Left-Liberalism is her choice, ask her "Why do you want my opinion when you have rejected Christianity and Christ?"
Hopefully that will give her a jolt. There would be no point telling her that the Leftist agenda is Satanic.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Three thoughts...
Pray.

Ask yourself why you're allowing a rebel to live in your house. You're only facilitating her rebellion. Show her the door so she can learn a few life lessons. Explain clearly that you love her, and that pushing her out of the nest is necessary for her development.

Pray more.

Quiettime

Oct 15, 2017
Three thoughts...
Pray.

Ask yourself why you're allowing a rebel to live in your house. You're only facilitating her rebellion. Show her the door so she can learn a few life lessons. Explain clearly that you love her, and that pushing her out of the nest is necessary for her development.

Pray more.
She is home for the summer. She dorms the rest of the year at college

U

UnderGrace

The statistics on young adults from Christian homes that enter college and turn against their faith is very high.:(

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
As I'm finding with some that are close to me, all you can do is pray and leave it at the feet of the Lord.

She knows your views and beliefs. You don't need to explain yourself, unless you felt lead to do so. Love her.

L

LittleMermaid

Pray for her and like Dino said, maybe tell her she can go live elsewhere. If she's going to be disrespectful, she can go find her own place to live for the summer. Also, don't pay anything for her. No phone bill, gas, food, and especially not school. Do not co-sign any student loans as she might expect you to pay them for her later on.
She's an adult and if she's going to be mean about her views, then kick her to the curb. Kids learn when they get tough love. She needs to see that God is your priority and that you will not tolerate anyone speaking ill of Him in your house or even around you.
Unfortunately, I don't have much advice as I don't have any children. I do see how my cousins (Gen Z kids) are on the fence about the Word of God and it really saddens me. I'll be praying for your daughter and all the young people. God bless you, dear!

L

LittleMermaid

I just saw the video. I used to like her. She and I are the same age (29) and I feel like she's never grown up. She acts like a 17 year old girl doing anything for attention. Even the gays know this as some did not appreciate her taking their spotlight and putting it on herself.

Ohm

Mar 4, 2018
19 is a tough age, especially nowadays. I think this happens to all parents at one stage or another. Often kids act out because they feel disconnected from their parents, especially when they have been brought up with a certain frame of mind and society is telling them something different. Try to see it through a child's eyes. Your parents bring you up believing something that society now challenges openly. How do you feel? Betrayed? Confused? Angry? Lost? Insecure? Unsure? Torn between two ideas? Between a rock and a hard place?

She's struggling to reconcile these two worlds.

I would try to see her point of view, even if you don't agree with it. And more than anything, let her know it's okay to go through challenges and wonder about existential meaning and consider other ideas and sometimes that makes you confused and sometimes it it can make you angry and sometimes it's hard to figure out what's right and what's wrong, but you're her mother and you care for her and let's be honest: everybody goes through these crises of personality at one time or another.

We've all been there.

The most important thing, for the sake of your relationship and the health of both of you, is to try to be understanding, and as much as possible, do things together that you have in common, rather than ones you don't. Do you share any hobbies? Any interests? Any skills? Maybe you want to learn a language? Maybe you both like coffee? Cooking? Horse-riding? Go-karts? Eating cake? Making cake?

Something that can allow you to reconnect and to remember that politics aren't everything.

Life has more to offer.

Quiettime

Oct 15, 2017
I just saw the video. I used to like her. She and I are the same age (29) and I feel like she's never grown up. She acts like a 17 year old girl doing anything for attention. Even the gays know this as some did not appreciate her taking their spotlight and putting it on herself.
I used to like her too. We even saw her in concert last year. She is very talented. Its a shame that she is giving in to the pressure to conform. I'm sure a good portion of her fans are christian. When she first started out she was fairly wholesome. I think this new political far left outspoken taylor will alienate much of her fan base. She shouldn't tell people how to vote and personally attack those with different views. I was very disappointed with this song and video.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
All can choose to follow the world or follow Christ.

Show love is how we will win the world over. we don't need to accept their thoughts or their actions but we still need to show them love.

K

kaylagrl

And there is the answer to the question, college. A high percentage of young people become atheists in college. Parents need to re- consider sending kids to college. They are bastions of progressive liberal indoctrination. Personally if my daughter came home with that attitude I would stop all support and funding. Her soul is more important. But that may not be a solution for you if she is there by her own means.

It is not right for people to stand with signs saying "God hates f@#s" that is untrue. God doesn't hate homosexuals, He hates the sin. Unfortunately youth have been indoctrinated by the liberal media that surrounds them. It's a little hard to shut the gate after the horse has escaped. Now it's a matter of prayer. Nothing you can argue at this point will change her mind. But parents, fair warning, you now have to protect your kids against media, in movies, in Hollywood etc. There is a war satan is raging on the family. Be awake, be vigilant.