The absurdity and heresy of Preterism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I understand better than you desire to admit. There is no logic within your argument. If you are standing up for this person due to being new, I accept that. But to remove logic from the basis of ordering Christians to be killed with one exception is irresponsible thinking. Nero was insane. There was no reasoning behind any of his actions other than hate. You do not keep alive what you hate. That's like saying Satan only tried to kill me but now he is ok because I know with God he is a just a punk. Absolutely NO LOGIC!
You clearly haven't given any thought to how you misinterpreted her statement. Until you do, I see no point in entertaining your bluster. As for your understanding of "logic"... well, your comments stand for themselves.

Apr 5, 2020
You clearly haven't given any thought to how you misinterpreted her statement. Until you do, I see no point in entertaining your bluster. As for your understanding of "logic"... well, your comments stand for themselves.

She believes in Preterism.
Therefore, the general belief is across the board.
Whether you want to break this down here and there is fine, but the Preterist view is all the same.
Over a million Jews were murdered relating that to Christianity.
To think a single person was exempt from a 3 year hunt and slaughter with destruction is not even remotely plausible.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
No, it's a FALLACY and completely absurd to ever believe while having Christians murdered that Nero would save John.

There is no more to add/remove.

It's completely irresponsible as an adult who can reason/form logic to even assume that could be a possibility.

Just to add some “hearsay” to this discussion......

I heard somewhere (lol!) that Nero and others tried to kill the Apostle John on several occasions but, John would not die - that’s why they had to exile John.

I’m not sure where I heard that from. I just logged it in my brain as something to ponder, research and ask God about.

I have been enjoying all the posts...very interesting. :unsure::love:(y)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
She believes in Preterism.
Therefore, the general belief is across the board.
Fallacy: non sequitur. She didn't claim to believe in preterism.

Whether you want to break this down here and there is fine, but the Preterist view is all the same.
Fallacy: generalization.

Over a million Jews were murdered relating that to Christianity.
Once again, in English this time?

To think a single person was exempt from a 3 year hunt and slaughter with destruction is not even remotely plausible.
You're being stubborn. Instead of blundering on to your own shame, go back and re-read her statement, and consider the possibility that you misunderstood her.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Just to add some “hearsay” to this discussion......

I heard somewhere (lol!) that Nero and others tried to kill the Apostle John on several occasions but, John would not die - that’s why they had to exile John.

I’m not sure where I heard that from. I just logged it in my brain as something to ponder, research and ask God about.

I have been enjoying all the posts...very interesting. :unsure::love:(y)
I have read that he was boiled in oil at some point, and survived. I don't know the details or the (alleged) date of the event.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I have read that he was boiled in oil at some point, and survived. I don't know the details or the (alleged) date of the event.

Yes, that’s what I heard, too. Of course, in a court of law “hearsay” is inadmissible as evidence to determine fact.

A lot of these discussions end up in opinions or misunderstandings, not really factual.

It is good to keep a level head and kind heart while discussing.

All facts and opinions have been interesting! :love:(y)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Years ago I heard this argument as one of the things to consider regarding the dating of the Revelation (I don't recall what the other side made of it--any ideas??):

[quoting old post]

Who do you believe Rev2:13's "Antipas [was] my faithful martyr, who WAS SLAIN among you" ?

Some [most?] sources say he was martyred AFTER 70ad... What is your view on that?

Metropolis of Pergamum (Wikipedia) -

"The Christian community of Pergamon was one of the earliest established in Asia Minor during the 1st century AD. It also comprised one of the Seven Churches of Asia mentioned at the New Testament Book of Revelation, written by John the Apostle. According to the Christian tradition, Antipas was appointed bishop of Pergamon, by John. He was martyred there in 92 AD.[3]"

[end quoting that post]

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
You're building on unsubstantiated assertions. You haven't demonstrated that preterism is a heresy.
I have already pointed out that the denial and rejection of the Resurrection/Rapture and the visible return of Christ are heresies.

Without the actual Resurrection/Rapture, God's plan redemption for the Church is incomplete. Without the actual Second Coming of Christ, God's plan of redemption for the earth is incomplete. So if you do not think this is heretical, perhaps your should examine your own beliefs.

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
Ironically history proves the gt is future.
The mark
The flying scorpions
Hailstones of fire
The planet destroyed
And on and on.

Historicist view is debunked quite easily.
Mehh I dunno about that.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Do you know both Preterism and Dispensationalism came from the Jesuits in an attempt to remove the Papacy from the charge of "Antichrist" pinned on it by the Reformers? Aren't we being the pot calling the kettle black here?
So why did the Protestants accept Preterism hook, line and sinker?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I hear what you're saying, at the same time at the end of The book of Revelation Jesus says he is coming soon.
There is a difference between quickly or speedily and "soon". Someone can come speedily but not necessarily "soon".

Strong's Concordance
tachu: quickly
Original Word: ταχύ
Part of Speech: Adverb
Transliteration: tachu
Phonetic Spelling: (takh-oo')
Definition: quickly
Usage: quickly, speedily.

As we know from Church history, Christ did not return to earth in the first century, neither has He returned to this day. But since a thousand years are as but a day in the sight of God, if Christ comes in the 21st century, it will be speedily from God's perspective.

In any event those cataclysmic cosmic events must occur before the Second Coming of Christ, and they have not happened.

Mar 23, 2016
There is a difference between quickly or speedily and "soon". Someone can come speedily but not necessarily "soon".

Strong's Concordance
tachu: quickly
Original Word: ταχύ
Part of Speech: Adverb
Transliteration: tachu
Phonetic Spelling: (takh-oo')
Definition: quickly
Usage: quickly, speedily.

As we know from Church history, Christ did not return to earth in the first century, neither has He returned to this day. But since a thousand years are as but a day in the sight of God, if Christ comes in the 21st century, it will be speedily from God's perspective.

In any event those cataclysmic cosmic events must occur before the Second Coming of Christ, and they have not happened.
Here's what I found on "soon" (Gr. taxý):

5035 taxý – properly, swift (quick), without unnecessary delay; used of God's promptness characterizing how He has ordered all physical scenes of life to happen on His perfect timetable without unnecessary "delay" (Rev 1:1, 22:6).
[5035 (taxý) does not mean "immediately" or necessarily "in a very short time" but rather "without any delay."]
HELPS Word-studies

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I have already pointed out that the denial and rejection of the Resurrection/Rapture and the visible return of Christ are heresies.

Without the actual Resurrection/Rapture, God's plan redemption for the Church is incomplete. Without the actual Second Coming of Christ, God's plan of redemption for the earth is incomplete. So if you do not think this is heretical, perhaps your should examine your own beliefs.
You're conflating issues... erroneously. The "rapture" is a secondary issue at best, and rejection of that idea is not "heresy" at all. The preterists I have encountered don't deny the resurrection or the "visible return". So, rein in your rhetoric and stop pointing fingers. You are way too quick to decry anyone who disagrees with you. Remember, with the measure you use....

Apr 3, 2019
Apr 5, 2020
Absolutely said:
Did the great tribulation already happen?

As Jesus said, it happened to the inhabitants of Jerusalem in 70 AD with the events fulfilling prophesy and recorded by Josephus. It will never happen again. Do you really want that to happen to the people you know?

Dino, this answer from Dorothy confirms either a Preterist or a Amill view. Which both sides view the Great Tribulation took place in 70 AD. It also removes the false Pre-Trib Rapture Theory and removes that Jesus will have a physical presence in New Jerusalem for the 1,000 years Satan is bound.

Either view she takes, my answers to your replies are still 100% correct!

Apr 5, 2020
Her views still depend upon John being exiled by Nero and writing Revelations in 68 AD!

You have some kind of nerve trying to pull the baloney you did in our back n forth!

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
One needs to understand the nature of Old and New Testament prophesy. There are literal scorpions but not literal scorpions spoken of in Revelation.
Good day, DorothyMae,

Regarding Revelation, it is the context that determines whether or not something is being spoken of literally or symbolically. So to determine what these things are we must look at the overall details.

First of all, in the first verse John sees what he calls a star falling from heaven to the earth, then in the same verse it states that the star was given a key to the Abyss. So right away we can determine that this is not a literal star. Then in verse 2 the star is referred to as a "he." Also, if we look at Rev.12, stars are used symbolically to represent Satan's angels. The conclusion then, is that that this star who is given the key to the Abyss is an angel.

Secondly, this star/angel is opening the Abyss, which is an opening into the earth. In further support of this, when he opens the Abyss smoke like a gigantic furnace billows out, obscuring the sun and the sky.

Thirdly, out of the smoke from the Abyss comes what John calls locusts. However, the fact that they are described as having hair like women's hair, teeth like lions teeth, faces resembling human faces, breastplates of iron, tails and stingers like that of a scorpion and the fact that it is said that they have a ruler over them which is the angel of the Abyss, then it quickly becomes apparent that these are not your garden variety locusts, but are demonic beings being let out of the Abyss. These combined details should dissuade anyone from interpreting these locusts as being helicopters or some other kind of military vehicles.

Based on all of the provided information in the context , what John is describing should be interpreted in the literal sense, recognizing these as demonic entities that humans have just never seen.

Apr 5, 2020
Good day, DorothyMae,

Regarding Revelation, it is the context that determines whether or not something is being spoken of literally or symbolically. So to determine what these things are we must look at the overall details.

First of all, in the first verse John sees what he calls a star falling from heaven to the earth, then in the same verse it states that the star was given a key to the Abyss. So right away we can determine that this is not a literal star. Then in verse 2 the star is referred to as a "he." Also, if we look at Rev.12, stars are used symbolically to represent Satan's angels. The conclusion then, is that that this star who is given the key to the Abyss is an angel.

Secondly, this star/angel is opening the Abyss, which is an opening into the earth. In further support of this, when he opens the Abyss smoke like a gigantic furnace billows out, obscuring the sun and the sky.

Thirdly, out of the smoke from the Abyss comes what John calls locusts. However, the fact that they are described as having hair like women's hair, teeth like lions teeth, faces resembling human faces, breastplates of iron, tails and stingers like that of a scorpion and the fact that it is said that they have a ruler over them which is the angel of the Abyss, then it quickly becomes apparent that these are not your garden variety locusts, but are demonic beings being let out of the Abyss. These combined details should dissuade anyone from interpreting these locusts as being helicopters or some other kind of military vehicles.

Based on all of the provided information in the context , what John is describing should be interpreted in the literal sense, recognizing these as demonic entities that humans have just never seen.

If John was in Patmos and wrote about the coming 70 AD Destruction, one would think as Josephus described women eating their own children, he would have mentioned seeing these locust demons. Since he does not mention anything, nor has the ancient Greek writers, the ancient Roman writers, the ancient Asian writers, the ancient Arab writers, etc... it seems like a safe bet these events are to happen later.

And we know they have yet to happen.

What does that tell us?

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
No it is a fact he was exiled in 60
something AD, the same period Nero had Christians killed to include Paul and Peter. That’s a fact. (If you can say your position is a fact so can I.)
Not according to history it is not. John was exiled to Patmos during Domitian's reign, which would put the writing of Revelation somewhere between 81 to 96 AD. The following is an excerpt regarding excavation of Ephesus and I quote:

Other discoveries included a lovely marble bath house with many rooms, a fine library, a large basilica church dedicated to "St. John the Theologian," the "Catacomb of the Seven Sleepers" in which were hundreds of burial places, and a temple dedicated to emperor worship. In it was a statue of Domitian, the emperor who banished John to the island of Patmos and who was persecuting the Christians while Christ was giving his revelation to John.

End quote