The Alignment of New Evangelicals with Apostasy

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I have a sincere question. If the Reformed are those that protested against catholicism ... why do many Reformed Denominations still practice infant baptism?
 
I have a sincere question. If the Reformed are those that protested against catholicism ... why do many Reformed Denominations still practice infant baptism?

Infant baptism is just one of many doctrines of the Catholic church that can be protested.

There are just so many things to protest,
it's hard for any one denomination to get around to EVERYTHING.
: )


Ok, that wasn't very doctrinally sound... but it's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
: )
 
Good posts on this thread. Reminded me of -
2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?


And at the same time, the thought that it's only going to get much worse than what we're talking about now.
 
I have a sincere question. If the Reformed are those that protested against catholicism ... why do many Reformed Denominations still practice infant baptism?

"These are the churches "which repudiated the papal authority, and separated or were severed from the Roman communion in the Reformation of the 16th century and of any of the bodies of Christians descended from them."
List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Protestant_branches.svg.png

All of these original Reformed Denominations that had a root in Roman Catholicism believed in one form or the other of the necessity of the use of Sacraments in the Christian faith such as baptism and The Lord's Supper. So it isn't surprising that some of the 41,000 plus Christian Denominations with roots in Roman Catholicism, including some of the Reformation Denominations today, continue to practice infant baptism.

​
 
Thank you, GTFIC! I downloaded the image.

I suppose I am just still wondering why - if they're sola scriptura - where or how do they see infant baptism.

I love my PCA church family/friends and all others and do indeed see them as my family and on many other topics - they have remained reverencing scripture more than these other seeker-sensitive places -- so I suppose that was just one question that boggled me - but hasn't caused division between them and I. I'm not Reformed nor Calvinist but spent from 2005-2009 with one PCA Church, then moved out of that State but still very much keep in touch with the friends there. Beautiful people.

Just a church hopper I am and I know The LORD has had me to go that route so I could get rid of some very strict doctrinal divisions that I had. I never like the Body being divided, but I couldn't bear before to enter a Calvinistic church, as I certainly was much-much more hard headed before all of this church hopping - though I haven't changed my doctrinal beliefs - my attitude has certainly changed by His Grace & leading me that way, only. No glory to me at all and plan to remain a church hopper until He comes ... because I want to be with His Whole Body now ... like this Forum. Praise GOD!

Thank you again for this reply!
 
Romans 4:4
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/96618-context-romans-4-4-5-a.html
 
1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.


The unrighteous (wrong DOERS) shall not inherit the kingdom of God then that can only mean the righteous (right DOERS) are the one's that inherit the kingdom of heaven.
 
Thank you, GTFIC! I downloaded the image.

I suppose I am just still wondering why - if they're sola scriptura - where or how do they see infant baptism.

I love my PCA church family/friends and all others and do indeed see them as my family and on many other topics - they have remained reverencing scripture more than these other seeker-sensitive places -- so I suppose that was just one question that boggled me - but hasn't caused division between them and I. I'm not Reformed nor Calvinist but spent from 2005-2009 with one PCA Church, then moved out of that State but still very much keep in touch with the friends there. Beautiful people.

Just a church hopper I am and I know The LORD has had me to go that route so I could get rid of some very strict doctrinal divisions that I had. I never like the Body being divided, but I couldn't bear before to enter a Calvinistic church, as I certainly was much-much more hard headed before all of this church hopping - though I haven't changed my doctrinal beliefs - my attitude has certainly changed by His Grace & leading me that way, only. No glory to me at all and plan to remain a church hopper until He comes ... because I want to be with His Whole Body now ... like this Forum. Praise GOD!

Thank you again for this reply!

Thank you for your input on the topic and for the questions you have asked here sister ChristisGod,
I hope this answer helps to give some clarity as to "why if they're sola scriptura - where or how do they see infant baptism".
Some Reformers embraced infant baptism based on their interpretation of Scripture.
For example, Martin Luther who was known for publicly teaching Sola Scriptura taught that babies are to baptized because they are included in the words ‘all nations’.

Matthew 28:19

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

It's heart warming that you have found many friends in the body of Christ through fellowship with the PCA Church members you mentioned and in other congregations of Christianity during your travels through the road that God has placed you on. Wheresoever you go, God is with you sis and His Word will remain in your heart. Praise God indeed sis! May it be so that one day we all will sit down in the Great Congregation together with all friends of God and praise God our Saviour with one voice and one mind. Marana tha!
 
Seabass,
This is not a debate about faith vs works. There are plenty of topics for that here at CC (many started by you and OldDeath). So if that's what you are looking for than you can just go to one of those debates you so readily embrace and latch your fangs on to the first person who doesn't agree with your position there. Maybe then you will get the attention you feel that you deserve but you won't get anymore attention from me. Like many others here at CC I have rejected you and OldDeath
already. Repent!

Titus 3:9

9But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. 10A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; 11Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
 
Speaking of infant baptism, another reason it is practised by the Reformed is that they tie it in with circumcision as practiced by Israel.
In my experience infant baptism runs the danger of promoting apostasy today in the Church because all to often those raised in the Church and having been baptized as an infant have a tendency to rest in their baptism when they were never born again in the first place. Most are dead wood, and if it wasn't for occasional born again Christians looking for the good 'ol days and teachings of Calvin, Luther, the Reformers etc., those Churches would have become bingo parlors long ago.
 
As the body of believers (born again of the Holy Spirit through faith alone,through Christ alone) that make up the living stones of our invisible yet clearly seen church we still remain intact outside of the mainstream of the religious institution and dogmas built with men's hands and minds. The only solution that would truly bring all believers in Christ together with one mind is to remove any hierarchy of men that we have in place in our religious institutions and let Christ lead us all and guide us all through the Holy Spirit as it was done with the apostles and our other brothers and sisters long ago. It appears that as long as we men apply our fleshly minds with the task of unifying each other under one banner of Christ while usurping authority over each other we are guaranteed to fail. Come soon Lord Jesus Christ!
 
GracethroughfaithinChrist wrote: "May it be so that one day we all will sit down in the Great Congregation together with all friends of God and praise God our Saviour with one voice and one mind. Marana tha!"

Amen, dear Brother. "I can only imagine" and Keep my eyes on that day, to keep my head up and to keep going.

Thank you!!
 
Colin, I had no particular body of believers in mind when I posted my last.
You an enemy? Maybe some of Rome's doctrines and practices but not any Catholic person is my enemy.
Oh...no I wasn't commenting on your statement. I accidentally hit reply with quote instead of reply. I meant what I wrote as a stand alone comment in due to the threads tenor.
 
Brothers and sisters,
Any thoughts on a possible upcoming repeat of some sort of reformation or restoration happening to counter the alignment of new evangelicals with apostasy besides the stand on biblical inerrancy ?
Do you think a reformation or restoration movement will happen again before Christ returns based on the OP or will the church remain the same until Christ's return?
Your input is appreciated.
 
True revival needs to come as it has in the past .... here and there

But today I do not see this coming .... the fabric of biblical Christianity is just too far gone .... very little left anywhere

In fact the post modernists claim that the Bible is irrelevant for today .... many are following the "emergent church" movements

You can find this maladroit theology on the Internet

Remember what the Lord teaches in His word [Luke 18:1-8; Romans 11:25]
 
Last edited: