The art of frugal hedonism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
This is actually the name of a book, you could read. Go look for it in your library

But for those of you who dont set foot in libraries and cant do a google search...basically its the art of living simply and saving money.

So this thread is for ideas of how to live a great life without spending any money and buying stuff.

My top recommendation would be...to join a public library and then you have access to thousands even millions of books for free. And you can spend your free time reading books and learning how to do cool stuff, make things, travel the world, go back in time, etc etc.

The other cool thing to do is set up a little free library in your neighbourhood so you can swap book with your neighbours.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I second the library idea!! You know why? Because depending on the library, you can check out culture cards too! Basically things where you can free tickets for museums, gardens, and the like. First come, first serve of course.

And I will say this: do not fear goodwill!! You can get amazing stuff for your house for like pennies. I wouldn’t suggest getting everything like shoes for sanitary reasons, but like I for sure want to get all my china and furniture from there.

Look on Craigslist if you’re feeling it’s legit and safe. Obviously you can bring a buddy, especially if it’s big. There are ads for free things like gravel, furniture, all kindsa stuff.

Buy generics. Seriously. if It’s like medicine I get that since the mixes can be different, but on food it really helps.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont think my library has culture cards....
Although it does put on free events all the time.

Ive always got great items from op shops, coffee table, rugs, puzzles, books, clothes...but not shoes, although sometimes people give unworn new shoes. Just depends. Theres no refunds so make sure you really want it before you buy it. Also complete the cycle by donating your items that could be put to good use.

Freecyle is also a good place to look for free stuff you could use.

Films..dont pay for films/movies its a bit of rip off, often community places will show a free film i.e churches, libraries, and of course you can still borrow dvds often for free at libraries. Esp documentaries. And places like universities often have free public lectures or poetry evenings if you want a night out and intellectual stimulation.

Quiz nites...often free, or you pay a small entry but it goes to a good cause. Your only spending heaps if you buy alcohol but just bring your own or drink water. I dont think most people care if you not drinking alcohol. Dont ever feel pressured to spend money on drugs and alcohol just cos everyone else seems to be. You dont need it to have a good time.

T

tasha66

I started a similar thread on ways to save money, but there was no interest.
it seems like there aren't alot of new threads, or interest on here for new ideas - perhaps it's because some people on here are blase, or there aren't enough moderators/money for such things. Mabye it's because they are just comfortable with the way the website is already.
Oh well guess I will just keep my money saving ideas to myself and publish a book.
There are loads of ideas & ebooks on the net or through libraries, nobody needs to physically go into a library anymore (except to maybe show some current ID). If you have kids, it's different as they have activities for the kids during the holidays. I rarely visit my library now. I think libraries will become obsolete in the future.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
it seems like there aren't alot of new threads, or interest on here for new ideas - perhaps it's because some people on here are blase, or there aren't enough moderators/money for such things. Mabye it's because they are just comfortable with the way the website is already.
Oh well guess I will just keep my money saving ideas to myself and publish a book.
There are loads of ideas & ebooks on the net or through libraries, nobody needs to physically go into a library anymore (except to maybe show some current ID). If you have kids, it's different as they have activities for the kids during the holidays. I rarely visit my library now. I think libraries will become obsolete in the future.
iS THIS THREAD YOUR MONEY MANAGING POST? Let me know. I have always done whatever possible to spend , save and invest with some thing involved, and I would appreciate the sharing of others.........God bless you efforts. and YOU of course.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Um excuse me why would libraries be obsolete in the future they are the only place where people can go find a book and not have to pay for it, they contain archives, and are open way more hours than churches where people can go and find somewhere quiet to sit and read.

Its churches that are becoming obsolete because they just sit empty half the time.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
iS THIS THREAD YOUR MONEY MANAGING POST? Let me know. I have always done whatever possible to spend , save and invest with some thing involved, and I would appreciate the sharing of others.........God bless you efforts. and YOU of course.
No its mine. Sorry I dont know where tashas is. You will have to go to the library to find her book thats written, unless shes written an ebook. In that case, google it.

Its interesting that internet cafes with rows and rows of computers became obsolete with the introduction of wifi, which you can get free at libraries. You dont even need to really have a desktop computer now, you can do pretty much everything on a laptop or smartphone, which you can lease or hire instead of buying it. That way, when time comes to upgrade, you dont need to sell it and buy a new one.

But if you are investing in hardware it does pay to get the right equipment, and apple macs in the long run are better than microsoft IMHO. Most apps, if you do need them, are free.

Things like podcasts, and music, are free. You dont need to spend money to obtain music these days. I havent bought any music in years. Or you could make your own if you are musical, record it on an app, and share it for free. I wouldnt be so eager to suport the behmeoth music industry that makes billions out of of selling sounds and images for their artists that are locked into these cash cow money making contracts. Id support the ones busking on the streets. If I had to give money for music.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Learn to cook! It is a wonderful way to save money. I have friends who don't like cooking so instead they will bring their company and we build community. Learn to use the leftovers for brand new ideas. I taught my son to cook through leftovers. Once a week or so we'd have an ifits night. Ifits in the fridge, then that is what we use, lol. I'd put the leftovers on the counter and we'd discuss what we could make. He'd start coming up with ideas and eventually he was making great casseroles out of what we had. It saves a lot of money and we have created some pretty fine meals. If you are out of most items except basics then make crepes or potato pancakes. Use these few older apples for apple sauce. The crepes can be for breakfasts, have savory fillings or dessert. Leftover tortillas can be popped into the pan with a little butter, cinnamon and sugar and end up as dessert wedges for that bite of sweet. I had a little bit of spaghetti sauce and made mini pizzas with a leftover bagel. I could go on but you get the idea. Make is social and face the fear of hospitality. Hugs.

T

tasha66

Hey Lan
FYI eBooks at libraries down under are all free. We don't pay for anything, just $2 for a library card to use either at the library, or online.
Just clarifying.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Hey Lan
FYI eBooks at libraries down under are all free. We don't pay for anything, just $2 for a library card to use either at the library, or online.
Just clarifying.
I know that but you still need the LIBRARY to provide the free service. Without it, you will need to pay for every book you download. Just saying.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Go to a friends house who has a coffee machine if you want free coffee instead of a cafe lol.
Im not advocating mooching off friends but why go to a cafe when you can have a cuppa at home (if they offer). Cafes are expensive I wouldnt deliberately go to them for the food or drink if theres food at home or you can just meet at your friends place. MOST people have a kettle that can boil hot water and make tea.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Quiz nites...often free, or you pay a small entry but it goes to a good cause. Your only spending heaps if you buy alcohol but just bring your own or drink water. I dont think most people care if you not drinking alcohol. Dont ever feel pressured to spend money on drugs and alcohol just cos everyone else seems to be. You dont need it to have a good time.
I'm surprised someone else does quizzing. The bar scene was a bit of a turn off but they do some in the area that I'm in at pizza places also. I don't go because solo it's kind of dull...but I did meet the "regular quizzers" that also go solo once so that was kind of cool.

Seemingly an underground for neat stuff that's a bit of a bright spot in our current world.

I've been to libraries that have green screen usage in their system. Free green screen :eek:

So many other resources beside books if you ask them. I was actually surprised that I could start broadcasting for free at the library. Of course on air would not be free but the net practically is.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I'm surprised someone else does quizzing. The bar scene was a bit of a turn off but they do some in the area that I'm in at pizza places also. I don't go because solo it's kind of dull...but I did meet the "regular quizzers" that also go solo once so that was kind of cool.

Seemingly an underground for neat stuff that's a bit of a bright spot in our current world.

I've been to libraries that have green screen usage in their system. Free green screen :eek:

So many other resources beside books if you ask them. I was actually surprised that I could start broadcasting for free at the library. Of course on air would not be free but the net practically is.
Yes our library loans musical instruments, robotics and bird watching kits.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Yes our library loans musical instruments, robotics and bird watching kits.
I'll have to check and see if they do musical instruments. Been wanting to "fiddle" around with a violin but with no real commitment unless I find I really like the beginner sound. That'd be cool. Haven't ever learned an instrument. Certainly can play my vocal chords but that's the only one ha

Random late night thing but ty for mentioning that. I have a lot of free time on my hands all of a sudden and since I'm on the fence about what music is appropriate right now it stands to reason I could make my own. I like the private worship idea...and if I were proficient enough to share with others double praise :D

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018

Churches, schools and community centres hold quizzes as fundraisers. Sometimes workplaces organise them. Also check out meetup groups in your area they are free to go to and open to singles.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Churches, schools and community centres hold quizzes as fundraisers. Sometimes workplaces organise them. Also check out meetup groups in your area they are free to go to and open to singles.
I think we need a thankful emoji. I won't suggest it again in suggestions (dreary place) but it would be nice. May cheapen thanksgiving though idk.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I’m glad you mentioned freecycling. Upcycling things that are used/broken/useless seemingly is a great way to save money. But it definitely costs time and effort.