The Basics of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
A. Speaking in Tongues:

1. The Spirit miraculously empowers the speaker.

2. To speak a real language that the speaker does not know.

3. May be human or angelic (I Corinthians 13:1).

B. Speaking in Tongues Foretold (Isaiah 28:11-12; Mark 16:17)

C. Five Accounts of Receiving the Holy Spirit:

1. Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4).

a. Sound—sign of the Spirit’s coming and availability.

b. Fire—sign that the Spirit was for each individual.

c. Tongues—sign that the Spirit filled each person.

2. Cornelius (Acts 10:44-47).

a. Tongues was the evidence that convinced skeptical Jews.

b. Tongues alone was enough to identify this as the Pentecostal experience (Acts 11:15-17).

3. Ephesus (Acts 19:5-6).

a. Precedent value: The Spirit baptism with tongues did not come just once to each national group; it is for every believer.

b. Prophecy came after the tongues or perhaps the tongues-speaking was prophetic.

4. Samaria (Acts 8): There was a supernatural sign.

a. They knew they had not received the Spirit yet, despite miracles, joy, belief, and water baptism.

b. They knew exactly when they received the Spirit.

c. Simon the Magician wanted to buy the power to perform this definite miracle, which was apparently more immediate and impressive than what he had already seen.

5. Paul (Acts 9:17).

Acts 9 gives no description, but later we find he spoke in tongues often (I Corinthians 14:18).

6. Are tongues necessary?

a. Tongues do not save.

b. On the biblical evidence, tongues always accompany the Spirit baptism.

c. As an analogy, works do not save, but works always accompany saving faith.

d. The emphasis should be on seeking the Spirit, not on seeking tongues or “learning” tongues.

D. Reasons for Tongues

1. Since the tongue is the unruly member (James 3:2-8), speaking in tongues signifies complete surrender of mind and body to God. God establishes complete control.

2. A reversal of Babel—a symbol of the unity of the church and citizenship in God’s kingdom.

3. Universal applicability.

4. Provides certainty about one’s initial experience.

a. God often chooses signs of a covenant. Examples: rainbow, circumcision.

b. A spiritual event is often evidenced by an outward event. Examples: baptism, prayer, ordination, holiness of life, the Second Coming.

c. Many church members struggle with lack of assurance of salvation.

E. Tongues AFTER the Spirit Baptism

1. Tongues are not a sign of the Spirit’s abiding presence.

a. The true test is obedience, love, and spiritual fruit.

b. One can have faith and yield to the Spirit in one area but not in another.

c. God’s gifts are irrevocable (Romans 11:29).

2. God desires for us to use tongues for private edification.

3. We can receive and exercise tongues for private devotion by faith, surrender to God, and persistent prayer.

4. Three uses of tongues.

a. Evidence of the initial Spirit baptism. (See C above)

b. Edification of the individual in private devotion (I Corinthians 14:4-5, 15, 18).

c. Edification of the church in a public message to be interpreted (I Corinthians 14:13, 27-28).

From Speaking in Tongues - Bernard

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Thats cool. I remember a church member frustrated that he wasnt given the gift, but he had a great gift of expressing the gospel perfectly in English. And he reached out to a lot of people that did not have perfect english. By his actions as well as his words.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Is there a question, comment or concern in regards to your OP?
Just wanted to share an outline of what is found in the bible regarding tongues as the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost. And the Spiritual gift of speaking in tongues.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Anyone who knows Jesus Christ is Lord and God may only know this by the Holy Spirit.

The initial response is the joy of knowing all is going to be just fine, some speak in tongues, but not many.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Thats cool. I remember a church member frustrated that he wasnt given the gift, but he had a great gift of expressing the gospel perfectly in English. And he reached out to a lot of people that did not have perfect english. By his actions as well as his words.
English is technically a tongue ;)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
On the biblical evidence, tongues always accompany the Spirit baptism.
You can change "always" to "sometimes".

Every believer experiences the baptism WITH the Holy Spirit, which simply means that the Holy Spirit is poured out upon the believer by Christ as the gift of the Holy Spirit Himself. This is not identical to being filled with the Spirit, and the evidence of that is (a) speaking the Word of God boldly, (b) walking in the Spirit and (2) producing the fruit of the Spirit.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
1 Corinthians 14:33
for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace; as in all the churches of the saints.
The scripture you posted is referring to the proper operation of Spiritual gifts in the church:

"How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." 1 Cor 14:26-33

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
You can change "always" to "sometimes".

Every believer experiences the baptism WITH the Holy Spirit, which simply means that the Holy Spirit is poured out upon the believer by Christ as the gift of the Holy Spirit Himself. This is not identical to being filled with the Spirit, and the evidence of that is (a) speaking the Word of God boldly, (b) walking in the Spirit and (2) producing the fruit of the Spirit.
Could you please supply the scriptures that confirm your viewpoint?

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
The very day that I was baptised in the Holy Spirit I burst our in tongues and also experienced a mighty revelation:
I knew there and then that Jesus is my God and my Redeemer and that the word of God is truth.
It was not some mental or intellectual understanding or "I believe" but rather a spiritual revelation of knowledge about Jesus in
the Bible and of his presence within me.

And on that very day, 1st December 1996, I was also instantly set free from the power of sin and God washed me clean from all
of my addictions: cigarettes; marijuana; alcohol; shooting up amphetamines - instantly without any withdrawal pains.
The truth shall set thee free is what Jesus declared; along with these signs shall follow them that believe the gospel.

Jeremiah 31:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, says the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Just wanted to share an outline of what is found in the bible regarding tongues as the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost. And the Spiritual gift of speaking in tongues.
I got a D in French in high school so I guess I don't have tongues.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Could you please supply the scriptures that confirm your viewpoint?
THE BAPTISM WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT BY CHRIST (THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT)
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: (Mt 3:11)
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (Rom 5:5)
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. (Rom 8:11)

NO TONGUES AFTER RECEIVING THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT (FOR ABOUT 3,000 SOULS)
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
4 2 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

THE FILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

A. BOLDNESS TO SPEAK THE WORD OF GOD
And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this? Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole...Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:7-10,13)
And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them... And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:23,31)

B. WALKING IN THE SPIRIT (ROMANS 8)
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

C. PRODUCING THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT (GALATIANS 5)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Anyone who knows Jesus Christ is Lord and God may only know this by the Holy Spirit.

The initial response is the joy of knowing all is going to be just fine, some speak in tongues, but not many.
Would you not agree the spirit of prophecy is of the Holy Spirit. I cannot fathom any other spirit lending this knowledge to anyone.

Rev 19:10 And I fell down before his feet to worship him. And he saith unto me, See thou do it not: I am a fellow-servant with thee and with thy brethren that hold the testimony of Jesus: worship God; for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I got a D in French in high school so I guess I don't have tongues.
Concepts in God's Word are no laughing matter. Each and everyone of us will be judged by those words.
"He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day." John 12:48

"But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
20 BUT YE BELOVED, BUILDING UP YOURSELVES ON YOUR MOST HOLY FAITH, PRAYING IN THE HOLY GHOST,
21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." Jude 17-25

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: (Mt 3:11)
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (Rom 5:5)
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. (Rom 8:11)
The gift of the Holy Ghost is the baptism John refers to in Matthew 3:11:
“If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?” Luke 11:13

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018

NO TONGUES AFTER RECEIVING THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT (FOR ABOUT 3,000 SOULS)
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
4 2 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

THE FILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

A. BOLDNESS TO SPEAK THE WORD OF GOD
And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this? Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole...Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:7-10,13)
And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them... And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:23,31)

B. WALKING IN THE SPIRIT (ROMANS 8)
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

C. PRODUCING THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT (GALATIANS 5)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
All of what you mention takes place once we are indwelt by the Holy Ghost.

Mar 28, 2016
A. Speaking in Tongues:
1. The Spirit miraculously empowers the speaker.

2. To speak a real language that the speaker does not know.

3. May be human or angelic (I Corinthians 13:1).
In respect to the title "The basics of speaking in tongue." The foundation of the doctrine of tongues is found in Isiah 28 and the law defined in 1 Corinthians 14:21-22

To by pass the foundation as a law not subject to change then discovering the meaning is made to no effect. Then the skies the limit

In verse 11 of Isiah 28 below God is shown mocking those who refuse to hear the word of God who exchange developed their own oral tradition making prophecy with out effect. It inform us with other languages other that the Hebrew which these Hebrew would not hear and believe God, as this people those who refuse to hear and then belive. Scripture cals that a "hard saying" because it offends and does not build up and people try and stop up their ears

Isiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

In verse 12 still speaking to the people for were offended by the word of God, prophecy... they refused to hear and believe God not seen (yet they would not hear )

12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

In verse 13 the word of God prophecy spoken in the Hebrew tongue shaow them under the judgement of God indicating by falling back

13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

In verse 14 he commands these scornful men to hear and believe

14 Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.

In verse 15 they did not show any fear of hell for they have made lies their refuge, and under falsehood they hid ourselves:

15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:

Tongues is simply the word of God as prophecy spoken of in all the langue's of the word and no longer in Hebrew alone . It a sign against the Jew who refused to believe the word of God. It as a sign confirmed they had no faith or no God in their hearts as fools but rather performed whatsoever their own mouths declared .

God with mocking lips as of Acts 2 now spoke to all the nations. Yet for all that those who have no faith coming from the word of God saw no evil in doing so

As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee. But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil. Jerimiah Jerimiah 44: 16-17

Because they mocked God in that way (we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth) His prophecy as words shall surely stand against them for evil turning the evil on them. Again as a sign against them who do not believe the word of God in any tongue.

In verse 29 the Holy Spirit prophesied of the sign defined in 1 Corinthian 14 :21-22 revealing that although they saw no evil in making the word of God prophecy he would turn the tables in Acts 2

And this shall be a sign unto you, saith the Lord, that I will punish you in this place, that ye may know that my words shall surely stand against you for evil: Jerimiah 44: 29

Pointing back to the law as the foundation of tongue in Isaiah 28 he confirms their unbelief (no faith in the word of ) as to what the sign serves. Yet for all that even today those Jews refuse to hear the words of the new testament that they find offensive .

1 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, "not to them that believe", but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthian 14 :21-22

Prophecy as the word of God spoken in many different tongues is clear language easy to understand as to its unseen sign, it is that men believe God not seen as a spiritual gift coming after a new spirit and heart .No outward sign .

It is God's interpretation as prophecy it has nothing to with making a noise without meaning and calling it a sign as a wonder rather than attributing it to an evil generation who do seek after a signs and wonders gospel, as those who refuse to walking by faith the unseen eternal understanding that the kingdom of God does not come by observation . No sign gift to those who walk by faith . The sign for them is they will receive their new incorruptible body on the last day when the new heavens and earth appear

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You might add that the Corinthian Church, a Church filled with the gifts, even tongues, was also one of the most carnal of the Churches we read of in Scripture. (Just to add some balance lol).

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Only Pentecostals and Charismatics hold to that doctrine. The genuine spiritual gift of tongues was evident during the Apostolic Age. God enabled men to SUPERNATURALLY speak foreign languages which they had never learned or heard. This was primarily to convince unbelieving Jews that the power behind the Gospel was that of God, and this was a sign gift, a miracle.

And as Paul made it crystal clear in 1 Corinthians (1) not all would have the spiritual gift of tongues, (2) those who spoke would need an interpreter within the assembly, (3) Paul would rather have spoken 5 words of prophecy than 10,000 words in tongues, and (4) women were to keep silence in the churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.