The Basics of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
At the other end of the spectrum you have initiated, I have been to many church services of manty denominations, and aside from an occasional scripture mention, no mention of the Holy Spirit is made.

Now it tells me those churches are all show, for they are denying the manifestation of the Holy Spirit even in mention let along the power of God manifested among us.

Completely illogical since Christ is the center of the NT itself and center of worship even in the early church.
It is those that talk a lot about the HS who are out of balance.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
One thing is for certain, we have never been able to hear a conversation between God and the heavenly body in their native (ours soon to be) language.
This is just my theory, nothing more....

Language of Angels is Hebrew

John Gill stated, “As has been shown, the Hebrew language was the first and primitive language, and was spoken by Adam. It is probable the letters were first invented by him, as some have thought; since as man is not only a speaking, but a social animal, it can hardly be imagined that Adam should live so many years, and not consider the advantage of letters to his posterity, and attempt to form such for their use. As arts and sciences were no doubt found out in Adam’s time, they could not be well cultivated without the use of letters.”[7]

Hebrew - Language of Heaven
Many think that the original language completely disappeared after the confusion of tongues. Yet Scripture only states that ALL peoples no longer speak this common language, in order to produce the desired effect of disrupting the building of the city and the Tower of Babel.

One group could continue to speak the original language even AFTER the wholesale confusion of languages. The continuation of the original language did not eliminate the confusion of languages as all other groups spoke different languages.

The group that continued to speak this original language received a great privilege from God, whose favor would be demonstrated in many ways. The one group upon which God demonstrated great favor after the scattering of the nations was the family of Abram, who then brought this language from Ur to Canaan: “And Terah took his son Abram and his grandson Lot, the son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, his son Abram's wife, and they went out with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Canaan … Then Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his brother's son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the people whom they had acquired in Haran, and they departed to go to the land of Canaan. So they came to the land of Canaan.” (Genesis 11:31-12:5 NKJV)

John Bunyan wrote, “This Eber was a very godly man, the next after Shem that vigorously stood up to maintain religion …This was the man that kept that language with which Adam was created, and that in which God spake to the fathers of old, from being corrupted and confounded by the confusion of Babel; and therefore it is for ever called his, the Hebrew tongue (John 5:2; 19:13, 20), the tongue in which Christ spake from heaven to and by Saul (Acts 21:40; 22:2; 26:14). This man therefore, was a stiff opposer of Nimrod; neither had he a hand in the building of Babel; for all that had, had their language confounded by that strange judgment of God.”[11]

Matthew Henry stated regarding Babel, “We may here lament the loss of the universal use of the Hebrew tongue, which from this time was the vulgar language of the Hebrews only, and CONTINUED so till the captivity in Babylon”[12]

Martin Luther wrote, “Eber, who undoubtedly retained the first and true language, was unable thereafter to instruct others whose language he did not know and who could not understand him.”[13]

John Wesley wrote, “Eber himself, we may suppose, was a man eminent for religion in a time of general apostasy; and the holy tongue being commonly called from him the Hebrew, it is probable he retained it in his family in the confusion of Babel, as a special token of God’s favour to him.”[14]

The article “Hebrew Term Origin”[15] indicates that one of the reasons that Abraham was called “Abram the Hebrew” was because he was one of those who STILL SPOKE Hebrew after the confusion of tongues.

THE PURE AND RESTORED LANGUAGE

“For then I will restore to the peoples a pure language, that they all may call on the name of the LORD, to serve Him with one accord.” (Zephaniah 3:9 NKJV)

The word translated as “pure” means “to select, to polish, to choose, purged, purge out, purify, a purified lip.” [16] This implies that any impurities in the language would be purified. It does not mean that all languages have no trace of the pure language; the use of the term “purged” implies that there are traces of this pure language in other languages.

The article “A Brief History of the Hebrew Language” states, “A Midrash on the Migdal Bavel (Tower of Babel) teaches that at the end of time all people will once again speak one language, and that will be a purified form of the Hebrew tongue.”[17]
The language that all men will speak in the future will be reversed to the language that was originally spoken by all men.

THIS “PURE LANGUAGE” IS HEBREW

The restoration of this pure language will be a sign and a wonder. Hebrew is also a sign and wonder:

Hebrew is the only language that has been restored after thousands of years after not being commonly used.

Hebrew is the only language that has been restored in the Land that also was restored to a people after thousands of years of exile.

Hebrew is the only language where this restoration is seen by the entire world as a fulfillment of a miracle from God.

Hebrew is the only language where men can use the unique Hebrew term of calling upon the name of the Lord.

HEBREW IS THE ETERNAL LANGUAGE

Hebrew appears to be the language spoken between God the Father and God the Son.

God identified Himself from the very beginning by a unique combination of four HEBREW letters.

Adam called his wife the HEBREW name of “Eve”: “And Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.” (Genesis 3:20 NKJV) The name given by Adam is stated by Scripture to be authoritative: “Whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.” (Genesis 2:19 NKJV)

Eve gave her firstborn son the HEBREW name of “Cain”, which means “acquired”, because she “acquired a man from the Lord.” (Genesis 4:1-2) Eve gave her third son the HEBREW name of “Seth”, which means, “substituted”, because she knew that “the Lord substituted a son in place of Abel.” (Genesis 4:25)

The specific name of the Lord (YHVH) is a Hebrew name. This specific name was first used by Eve when describing the birth of her first son Cain: “Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, ‘I have acquired a man from the LORD.’” (Genesis 4:1 NKJV) The entire world at the time of Seth spoke Hebrew, for men used the HEBREW name of God: “Then men began to call on the name of the LORD.” (Genesis 4:26 NKJV)

Jesus spoke in the HEBREW language to Saul of Tarsus: While thus occupied, as I journeyed to Damascus … I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew language, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’”' (Acts 26:12-14 NKJV)

The 144,000 from every tribe of Israel will speak in Hebrew: “And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed” (Revelation 7:4 NKJV)

The saints in heaven will sing the song of Moses, which is a HEBREW song: “They sing the song of Moses, the servant of God.” (Revelation 15:3 NKJV)

THE LANGUAGE CHOSEN BY GOD
God said He “will restore to the peoples a pure language.” (Zephaniah 3:9 NKJV)

God chose the land – Scripture is clear that the land given to the Hebrews was the Chosen Land. God called Abraham out of Ur of the Chaldees to the land of Canaan. The article “Eden and Jerusalem Traditions”[18] lists many reasons why Eden and Jerusalem may be the same place. It is clear that the New Jerusalem will also be in the same place. Just as God chose to walk in the Garden in a certain place, God also chose to send His Son to suffer and reign in this same place.

God chose the people – Scripture is clear that the Hebrews were the chosen people.

God chose the language – “God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.” (Genesis 1:31 NKJV) One the things that He had made was LANGUAGE. The preceding lists the many evidences indicating that the Hebrews alone continue to speak the pure language given to all mankind.
The Hebrews received the selection as THE chosen people living in THE chosen land speaking THE chosen language. One day, all His chosen people will live in the chosen land and speak the chosen language.

PURE - for it proceeds from God who is pure

TRANSMITTED - by God Himself to men

PERSEVERES – for it is spoken by some even today

RESTORED – for it will be spoken by all

[6] “Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel Points and Accents” by John Gill, pp. 19-20, accessed 7/25/2015 at http://faithsaves.net/wp-content/upl...geLettersV.pdf

[7] “Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel Points and Accents” by John Gill, p. 35, accessed 7/25/2015 at http://faithsaves.net/wp-content/upl...geLettersV.pdf

[8] “A Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel Points and Accents” By John Gill, D.D., p. 24, accessed 7/25/2015 at http://faithsaves.net/wp-content/upl...geLettersV.pdf

What language does God speak? and thus the angles too.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
One thing is for certain, we have never been able to hear a conversation between God and the heavenly body in their native (ours soon to be) language. I am not also trying to say our future language sounds like babbling and jibberish. It could sound that way, but I am not making that claim at all.

I will say the churches I am associated with, pays close attention to what is happening, even though we do believe in speaking in tongues.

We watch out for the seek a my bow tie, tie a my bow tie, wear a my bow tie, stupid crap.

I truly believe that when someone actually is speaking in tongues genuinely, they do not even know it. They are so focused on God and nothing else or what's around them. They are lost within the presence and Spirit of God. And their native language just changes for no apparent reason.

Just like when you have been praying and someone lays their hands on you (you don't notice or feel someone has done this - but this is what did take place) and when you finally feel your prayer is over, you realize you are laying on the ground. Not that you were flipping around like a fish dying, you just were overwhelmed and the power humbled you. No one genuine ever wants to be on the floor where people walk in whatever and now you are laying on it. But if it happens and you find yourself there, it's a powerful reality to understand God's power and our strength are no match at all.
Angels Spoke Hebrew in NT
In examining the New Testament, we find again that when one was spoken to from the heavens, it was always in the Hebrew tongue. In chapter 1 of Luke we read that the priest Zechariah was performing his duties in the temple. The angel of Yahweh appeared to him and related how Elizabeth was soon to have a son who would be called John. Certainly a priest of the course Abia would be addressed in his native Hebrew tongue, the language of Temple worship!
Later we learn that the virgin Miriam was also visited by Gabriel who proclaimed the soon- coming birth of Yahshua the Messiah, Luke chapter 1. Both Miriam and Joseph were descended from the lineage of King David, the ruler of Israel, of the tribe of Judah.
In chapter 2 of Luke we read of Judean shepherds watching their flocks by night when the celestial being came to them announcing the birth of the Redeemer of Israel. The language used to communicate was Hebrew and was understood by uneducated, pastoral shepherds.
In Matthew 3:17 and Luke 3:22 is the account of the baptism of the Messiah. A voice came from heaven declaring that this was the beloved Son in Whom He was well pleased – obviously in the Hebrew tongue. In both Luke chapter 4 and Matthew 4 is the account of Satan, the fallen angel, speaking with the Hebrew Yahshua, obviously in Hebrew.
This fallen angel was the "anointed cherub that covers" who was in the presence of Yahweh until iniquity was found in him, Ezekiel 28:14. In Job chapters 1 and 2 we learn that Satan carried on a conversation with Yahweh, which would have been in Hebrew, the heavenly language.

Resurrected Savior Used Hebrew
Acts 9 tells of the Apostle Paul’s being struck down on the Damascus road. Recounting this experience to King Agrippa (Acts 26:12-14), Paul says of the heavenly voice of Yahshua:
"And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks" (Acts 26:14).
Paul inquired of the speaker.
"And I said, Who are you, Master? And he said, I am Yahshua whom you persecute." (Acts 26:15) This was after Yahshua’s death and resurrection, and He was still speaking Hebrew!
Yahshua told us that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob would be in the Kingdom, Matthew 8:11, and there will undoubtedly be many other ancient worthies who have been chosen to be in that glorious Kingdom. All of those resurrected people will be brought back to life in a country that even now is speaking Hebrew as its national language.
Notably in 1948, when it was admitted to the United Nations, the tiny nation of Israel established Hebrew as its national language. Elieazor BenYehuda, known as the father of modern Hebrew, already had prepared an updated Hebrew dictionary and thesaurus of the Hebrew language. It was his desire to see Hebrew revived and made alive as the spoken tongue.

Yahshua Returns to a Nation Speaking Hebrew
Hebrew is the heavenly language. It was spoken to Adam and Eve, and down through history was spoken to all the ancient worthies. The prophets who were given messages from on high were those who spoke Hebrew. When Yahweh had a message for a foreign nation such as Assyria, He spoke to Jonah and Nahum who understood Hebrew. They in turn warned the Assyrians of impending doom.
When Yahshua returns, He will go to the Mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east (Zech. 14:4). He will return to deliver a nation that is already speaking Hebrew. The Hebrew speaking Jews will recognize Him.
He will come again to His own, and this time they will receive Him. He will pour upon the house of David and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem the spirit of grace and supplication and "they shall look upon Me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for Him as one mourns for His only Son," Zechariah 12:10. He will return to His people and save "the tents of Judah first," verse7.

The Pure Language
It is at this time that Yahshua commences to take charge of world affairs and will rule with a rod of iron. He will set up His rule at Jerusalem and it will continue to expand until it encompasses the world Micah 4:2. "For then will I turn to the people a pure language [HEBREW], that they may all call upon the Name of Yahweh, to serve Him with one consent." "...the law shall go forth out of Zion, and the word of Yahweh from Jerusalem," Zephaniah 3:9. All of those who will be in the Millennial rule will be speaking Hebrew and will be calling upon the personal, only Name of Yahweh and His dear Son, Yahshua. Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Yahweh is the King of the universe.

Our Very Thoughts Known
It should be understood that at this time we can pray to Yahweh in any language, any tongue, because He is not limited to audible speech as humans are. The One Who made man’s tongue and ears can bypass speech, for He can read our very thoughts, "I am He which searches the reins and hearts," (Rev. 2:23). But we must call upon His true Name which He has revealed to us.
"And he said unto them, You are they which justify yourselves before men; but Yahweh knows your hearts..." (Luke 16:15).
"And they prayed, and said, You, Yahweh, which knows the hearts of all [men] show whether of these two you have chosen" (Acts 1:24).
The language spoken in Eden by Yahweh was Hebrew. The angelic beings continued to communicate with those who understood Hebrew. Yahweh spoke to people through prophets who understood Hebrew. The Old Testament was without question written in Hebrew. In the New Testament, the angelic messengers spoke to Hebrew-speaking people. Yahshua spoke and read Hebrew in the synagogue. He spoke to Saul in the Hebrew tongue.
From all this evidence and more, increasing numbers of scholars are coming to agree with Charles Cutler Torrey that the entire Bible was originally written in Hebrew. A growing number agree the Bible was written in part or whole in the Hebrew tongue. (Read our mini-study "Was The New Testament Originally Greek?")
As mentioned, Isaac Mozeson, the "new kid on the block," has compiled overwhelming research validating that the underlying language of all tongues is Hebrew. He takes issue with those in the past who have contrived an "Indo-European" original language of the Middle East. This he blames on rampant animosity toward anything Jewish, including the Hebrew language.
Prestigious scholars are now having second thoughts about the origin of human language. Mozeson’s book, The Word, offers within its pages numerous examples of Hebrew as the mother of English and all languages.
"Aleph" and "Beyt" (Aleph-Bet), which also begin the alphabet of many other languages.

The Family Name
Increasing attention given to the Dead Sea Scrolls reveals the rising interest in Yahweh’s Name as well as new light and a deeper understanding of the Bible. While His Name has been revealed by those who spoke Hebrew, His Name, Yahweh, is the same around the world and does not change from language to language.
Paul tells us the whole family in heaven and earth is named after Yahweh: "For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Sovereign Yahshua Messiah, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named" (Eph. 3:14-15).Thus, if we are to be His sons and daughters in the Kingdom; and are called by His name, how can we hate the name Yahweh now? We will take on His name, Yahweh!
There likely are many changes we need to make in each of our lives, but making His personal Name a part of our daily living is a firm witness to the reverence we have for His memorial name Yahweh and the coming rulership of Yahweh and His Son.
Deuteronomy 6:4. Hear, O Israel: The LORD [Jehovah] your God [Elohim] is one LORD [Jehovah].

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
As far as women keeping silent see Galatians 3:27-28. Jesus even appeared first to a woman and she carried the message of His resurrection to the men.
Actually, if you carefully study the Gospels, Mary Magdalene did NOT believe the angels, and remained skeptical until she was personally confronted by the Risen Lord.

And since Christ had told His disciples many times that He would die and rise again, all of them (including all the women and the apostles) were in UNBELIEF until Christ finally showed them Himself.

As to the cloven tongues of fire, that was a singular ONE-TIME manifestation to confirm to the apostles and disciples that the Holy Spirit had indeed been poured out from Heaven on the day of Pentecost. But the thousands of Jews from all over the Roman Empire only heard the apostles and their companions speaking in about 15 different languages and dialects on that day. These were actual human languages, and they were a sign to unbelieving Jews that the Gospel was indeed from God Himself.

Once we understand the purpose of the gift of tongues, we will see that the modern emphasis on this gift by Pentecostals and Charismatics is misplaced and misrepresented.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Verse 7 was the issue:
Ps 12:6-7
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
KJV

Ps 12:6-7
And the words of the Lord are flawless,
like silver refined in a furnace of clay,
purified seven times.

7 O Lord, you will keep us safe
and protect us from such people forever
NIV
When the earth is burned up, would not Bibles burn too?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The comment was about verse 7. Dino246 mentioned that I did not carefully read it. After reading the chapter it was clear he was correct. I now see verse 7 pertained to preserving the generation not the Word.
Psalm 12 King James Version (KJV)
12 Help, Lord; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.

2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.

3 The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:

4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?

5 For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the Lord; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.

6 The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

7 Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

8 The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

Psalm 12 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
To the director: With the sheminith. A song of David.
12 Save me, Lord!
We can no longer trust anyone!
All the good, loyal people are gone.
2 People lie to their neighbors.
They say whatever they think people want to hear.
3 The Lord should cut off their lying lips
and cut out their bragging tongues.
4 Those people think they can win any argument.
They say, “We are so good with words,
no one will be our master.”

5 They took advantage of the poor
and stole what little they had.
But the Lord knows what they did, and he says,
“I will rescue those who are poor and helpless,
and I will punish those who hurt them.”[a]

6 The Lord’s words are true and pure,
like silver purified by fire,
like silver melted seven times to make it perfectly pure.

7 Lord, take care of the helpless.
Protect them forever from the wicked people in this world.
8 The wicked are all around us,
and everyone thinks evil is something to be praised!

Footnotes:
Psalm 12:5 I will rescue … hurt them Or “I will rescue poor, helpless people who were hurt and asked me for help.”

Psalm 12 Good News Translation (GNT)
A Prayer for Help[a]
12 Help us, Lord!
There is not a good person left;
honest people can no longer be found.
2 All of them lie to one another;
they deceive each other with flattery.

3 Silence those flattering tongues, O Lord!
Close those boastful mouths that say,
4 “With our words we get what we want.
We will say what we wish,
and no one can stop us.”

5 “But now I will come,” says the Lord,
“because the needy are oppressed
and the persecuted groan in pain.
I will give them the security they long for.”

6 The promises of the Lord can be trusted;
they are as genuine as silver
refined seven times in the furnace.

7-8 The wicked are everywhere,
and everyone praises what is evil.
Keep us always safe, O Lord,
and preserve us from such people.

Footnotes:

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Being One Accord is the scripture reference for this post ^

A single individual must first Be in One Accord with God, before they can be in One Accord together with other like minded believers as the Body of God!!
12 Bible results for “"One Accord ".” Showing results 1-12.

Bible search results
Acts 1:14 These all continued with >one> >accord> in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with >one> >accord> in one place.
Acts 2:46 And they, continuing daily with >one> >accord> in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Acts 4:24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with >one> >accord>, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:
Acts 5:12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with >one> >accord> in Solomon's porch.
Acts 7:57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with >one> >accord>,
Acts 8:6 And the people with >one> >accord> gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
Acts 12:20 And Herod was highly displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon: but they came with >one> >accord> to him, and, having made Blastus the king's chamberlain their friend, desired peace; because their country was nourished by the king's country.
Acts 15:25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with >one> >accord>, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Acts 18:12 And when Gallio was the deputy of Achaia, the Jews made insurrection with >one> >accord> against Paul, and brought him to the judgment seat,
Acts 19:29 And the whole city was filled with confusion: and having caught Gaius and Aristarchus, men of Macedonia, Paul's companions in travel, they rushed with >one> >accord> into the theatre.
Philippians 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of >one> >accord>, of one mind.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
No. I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues first. Years later got water baptized "in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost."
Afterward, upon seeing that all recorded water baptisms were done in the name of the Lord Jesus. I wanted to obey what was so obviously in the Word and was water baptized that way. For me, personally, afterward my spiritual eyes were indeed open. (John 3:3) I could "see" (understand) scriptures with greater clarity than in the past.
About ten years later God imparted the Spiritual gift of tongues upon me that was interpreted by another for edification of the church body. I had not been seeking the gift, however, was praising God in the worship service when He decided to use me to speak a message to the congregation.
Therefore, I have no doubt that, for whatever reason, God designed a salvation plan that includes mankind's need to obey the command to be water baptized and seek/receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
Curious how does one who can't even speak speak in tongues?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
It could be used that way as a rebuke . But those who seek after outward signs as gifts associate binding as they do with slaying in the spirit. Human hands are needed for the show and tell performance.
2 Timothy 2:25 who is gentle as you correct your opponents, for it may be that God will give them the opportunity to repent and come to know the truth.

The word rebuke strikes me as being rude to people.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
It has been my personal experience in the ewalk given me that when it came time for my bing used for a miracle it was just that.

I was avilable, God took over and I simply did what came by the Spirit for me to be used for. The gift of knowledge at a time or two, the gift of healing also..........andmore.

When anyone confides in me something the Lord has done through them, I tend to believe until something tells me not to. So fat that has not happened.
Where you out of control of yourself?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
It's sad that so many do not understand what you are expressing here. Many seem to think that they are seeing a contrived performance. When in fact, willing Christian vessels are spontaneously filled with an appropriate Spiritual gift by God to meet a specific need.
What need does it meet of other people when everyone is talking at the same time like on the view?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I used to wonder why me, who am I to be used for these work? Then it came to me in the Word, God uses that which is not to bring down tht which is, and the humble to bring down the proud…...and more. I knew I was NOT and boy did I feel humble.

People must understand God is not dead nor is His power no longer with men. Anyione who makes himself or herself available to the Father and in a serving situatio usually, will be used for things others call miracles. When I have been used, they seemed quite naturaql..
Then go heal everyone in every hospital in your area, be sure to drag someone from the news with you.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Matthew 18:
Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

This is from the mouth of Yeshua!!

We put in the name of Yeshua because He gave us this ability, so it is under His authority we are able to do as such!!
In context like in Matthew 16 that is addressed to the Apostles alone, not you.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I am amazed at all the translations (99% ) that supports false pride. You would have to believe it came from Catholicism. Men lording it over the non-venerable ones.... blaspheming the holy name by which we are called heavenward from where our salvation is loosed from..
the 99 percent was based on traditions the other were based on updated research into greek grammar.

Mar 28, 2016
In context like in Matthew 16 that is addressed to the Apostles alone, not you.
Depends on how you define the word apostle and how it is used.

Apostles alone means what?

Are Prophets considered apostles?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Actually, if you carefully study the Gospels, Mary Magdalene did NOT believe the angels, and remained skeptical until she was personally confronted by the Risen Lord.

And since Christ had told His disciples many times that He would die and rise again, all of them (including all the women and the apostles) were in UNBELIEF until Christ finally showed them Himself.

As to the cloven tongues of fire, that was a singular ONE-TIME manifestation to confirm to the apostles and disciples that the Holy Spirit had indeed been poured out from Heaven on the day of Pentecost. But the thousands of Jews from all over the Roman Empire only heard the apostles and their companions speaking in about 15 different languages and dialects on that day. These were actual human languages, and they were a sign to unbelieving Jews that the Gospel was indeed from God Himself.

Once we understand the purpose of the gift of tongues, we will see that the modern emphasis on this gift by Pentecostals and tis misplaced and misrepresented.
My point is that Jesus chose to appear to Mary Magdalene first. Why did He choose her and not one of the male apostles to appear before? Jesus' action shows no bias.
Again, the biblical record indicates there are two types of tongues. There are tongues present at the infilling of the Holy Ghost as evidenced in the Day of Pentecost record and provided for all generations. Jesus told Nicodemus that one cannot see the Holy Spirit however, the Spirit can be heard:
John 3:8
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The scripture verses previously provided by you pertain to the Spiritual gift of tongues.

Status
Not open for further replies.