The Biblical Resurrection

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
(1Co 15:35) But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
(1Co 15:36) Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
(1Co 15:37) And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

Paul illustrates the resurrection using seeds and plants. If you look at the resurrection from that perspective, you will see that the resurrection isn't about the resurrection of our earthly bodies, but it is about the raising of our soul, or our 'being", the real us, from death to life. As the bible says "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me". We as believers "have been raised from death unto life".... this is the resurrection.

In verse 36 Paul says "that which thou sowest is not quickened except it die". At first thought it would seem as though Paul is talking about our body dying but he isn't because "the plant", which is analogous to our bodies, IS NOT SOWN, seeds are sown.

In verse 37 we are told exactly that. "That which is sown, IS NOT the body that shall be", NOR is it our earthly body. That which is sown is BARE GRAIN.... a seed. That seed is our soul or our 'being", the real us that is sown into this earthly body of corruption.

So the resurrection of the dead, it has nothing to do with raising our mortal bodies from the dead.
The word of God is very clear, the mortal body will be (Changed)

Phillipians 3:21KJV
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Nov 23, 2013
The word of God is very clear, the mortal body will be (Changed)

Phillipians 3:21KJV
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
When I shed this body, I, not my earthly corrupt body, will be changed out of this vile body into a glorious body.

Apr 15, 2017
(1Co 15:35) But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
(1Co 15:37) And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

Paul illustrates the resurrection using seeds and plants. If you look at the resurrection from that perspective, you will see that the resurrection isn't about the resurrection of our earthly bodies, but it is about the raising of our soul, or our 'being", the real us, from death to life. As the bible says "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me". We as believers "have been raised from death unto life".... this is the resurrection.

In verse 36 Paul says "that which thou sowest is not quickened except it die". At first thought it would seem as though Paul is talking about our body dying but he isn't because "the plant", which is analogous to our bodies, IS NOT SOWN, seeds are sown.

In verse 37 we are told exactly that. "That which is sown, IS NOT the body that shall be", NOR is it our earthly body. That which is sown is BARE GRAIN.... a seed. That seed is our soul or our 'being", the real us that is sown into this earthly body of corruption.

So the resurrection of the dead, it has nothing to do with raising our mortal bodies from the dead.
Only the soul will be raised up where the saints will receive a glorified body, and of our soul, spirit, and flesh, only the soul will live on forever.

The flesh will be put off, and the spirit will go back to God regardless of how the person acted on earth, and the soul shall live forever.

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

In the flesh dwells no good thing, and we must put off this mortal body, and have a new body that is spiritual.

The flesh cannot be done over for all sin is purged with fire, and the sin resides in the flesh.

The earth cannot be done over for it is tainted with sin, which is why the Bible says the earth shall be burned up, and all the works of it, and the heavens shall melt with fervent heat, for they are tainted with sin.

The Bible says the wicked shall go in to the lower parts of the earth, and Jesus went to conquer hell and death which he descended in to the lower parts of the earth, and Revelation 19 says death and hell shall be cast in to the lower parts of the earth so the earth shall be cast in to the lake of fire.

Angels cannot be redeemed because they are one being and when they sinned they corrupted their whole being with no way to put off the flesh.

But the saints are soul and flesh, and all sin resides in the flesh, so they can put off the flesh, which their soul can be preserved.

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

When a person dies in the Lord they are with the Lord Jesus in heaven where the souls are under the altar but they appear to not have their glorified body yet.

There is no reason for them to visit the underworld for they are saved like the Old Testament saints that are risen when Jesus His blood to wash away sins.

Nov 23, 2013
Only the soul will be raised up where the saints will receive a glorified body, and of our soul, spirit, and flesh, only the soul will live on forever.

The flesh will be put off, and the spirit will go back to God regardless of how the person acted on earth, and the soul shall live forever.

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

In the flesh dwells no good thing, and we must put off this mortal body, and have a new body that is spiritual.

The flesh cannot be done over for all sin is purged with fire, and the sin resides in the flesh.

The earth cannot be done over for it is tainted with sin, which is why the Bible says the earth shall be burned up, and all the works of it, and the heavens shall melt with fervent heat, for they are tainted with sin.

The Bible says the wicked shall go in to the lower parts of the earth, and Jesus went to conquer hell and death which he descended in to the lower parts of the earth, and Revelation 19 says death and hell shall be cast in to the lower parts of the earth so the earth shall be cast in to the lake of fire.

Angels cannot be redeemed because they are one being and when they sinned they corrupted their whole being with no way to put off the flesh.

But the saints are soul and flesh, and all sin resides in the flesh, so they can put off the flesh, which their soul can be preserved.

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

When a person dies in the Lord they are with the Lord Jesus in heaven where the souls are under the altar but they appear to not have their glorified body yet.

There is no reason for them to visit the underworld for they are saved like the Old Testament saints that are risen when Jesus His blood to wash away sins.
By what you have said here, it sounds like you're in agreement with me - The Resurrection has nothing to do with the raising of dead bodies. If you do agree, then how does the eternal soul die and need to be resurrected?

Apr 15, 2017
By what you have said here, it sounds like you're in agreement with me - The Resurrection has nothing to do with the raising of dead bodies. If you do agree, then how does the eternal soul die and need to be resurrected?
The eternal soul can never die.

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Paul said when he dies he will be with the Lord.

The disciples seen Jesus talking with Moses and Elijah.

There are souls in heaven awaiting all the saints to join them, and then Jesus will avenge them.

So all the souls of the saints are in heaven with Jesus, so the soul is not resurrected at the time of the resurrection of those asleep along with those alive.

So the only thing that can resurrect for those asleep can be their bodies.

And we will be changed, and our bodies are sown a natural body, and it is raised a spiritual body.

So the seed is the flesh, and it will die and be raised a glorified body.

And it says it is raised a spiritual body, but if the spiritual body is given in heaven why is it raised.

Also those that are asleep and are caught up to be with the Lord their soul is with Jesus already.

So it can only mean that the dead in Christ will raise first their spiritual body, but their souls are with Jesus, and then those alive will raise up their soul and their bodies will be changed and so they shall forever be with the Lord.

It seems like the flesh has to arise to be changed to a glorified body, or it is raised a spiritual body from the grave, but that has to be the resurrection.

I thought the body did not raise up, but those asleep can only be according to the body not the soul, for all souls that die in Jesus are with Him not asleep.

Apr 15, 2017
It seems like the flesh has to arise to be changed to a glorified body, or it is raised a spiritual body from the grave, but that has to be the resurrection.

I thought the body did not raise up, and they received their glorified body in heaven, but those asleep can only be according to the body not the soul, for all souls that die in Jesus are with Him not asleep.

So they do not receive their glorified body in heaven but it is raised up to heaven, for the body is the only thing that can resurrect for as soon as a saint dies their spirit goes to God, and their soul is with Jesus.

Aug 14, 2019
The material of our flesh. The cells alive now, that is our body now, will die off never to be again. In less than a decade the material of our body has cycled through a complete change out. The material of your body is not the same material it was 10 years ago. But that was you 10 years ago when the Body was made of that material and it's you now with a body that materially is not the same as 10 years ago.
The substance of my body then isn't the material that died anbut it is that which has maintained a continuous material body that I call 'me'. There is then that which is substantially me and is essential to being me. But the current organic material that my body is right now is me but is not essential to being me. The substance that is essential to being me determined my growth as a one celled body that was me and why a body that is materially not the same body as I had before is nevertheless me.

So the body that is raised isn't the material that is me today and not tomorrow. What is raised is the substance that is essential to being me and has determined my growth and anchors who I am body and soul.

The life in the Body forms the soul. Whether for good or evil, life in the body forms the soul. Our life with the Body is not hidden but exposed by our disembodied soul.

It is with our bodies we sinned it is with our bodies we will know our eternal end.
The bodies of the damned are not the same as the glorified bodies of the Saints.

I thought this might help distinguish the corporeal from the spiritual and the ressurected bodies of the saved from the damned.

presidente

May 29, 2013

And the verses you quote do not support your argument. When you plant a seed, do you squeeze the 'soul' out of the seed, hold that invisible soul in your hand, plant it in your garden or hydroponics bucket, while leaving the physical seed in the seed packet? No. You plant a physical seed. Out of that seed, grows a plant. You cannot go back and retrieve that seed after the plant grows because that physical seed became the plant. The seed is not the 'body that shall be' of the plant, but the plant did grow out of it. It is the same thing, but it is more.

Our resurrected bodies will be something much greater than what they are now, but they will still be our bodies. The body is 'planted' but it comes back as something much greater, not the same thing as before.

Look at the themes in this passage. Read it through. Christ is the firstfruits of the resurrection. We will be resurrected as He was. Was Christ's body raised from the dead? Or did the disciples take Him away while He slept? According to the Gospels, Acts, and the epistles, He rose from the dead. Here in this chapter you quote from, I Corinthians 15, Paul warns that if Christ is not risen, you are still dead in your sins.

And there were various gnostic sects that would spring up that taught that Jesus was a man, and Christ was a spirit that came upon him, and that the spirit came back and spoke with people while the body remained dead and other similar heresies that taught against Christ actually rising from the dead. The Corinthians may have heard some heretical teachings along those lines.

I this chapter, Paul ties our resurrection to Christ's, as he does in various other places in his epistles. If you say our bodies do not rise, what does that say about Christ's resurrection?

And how are you going to plant a soul? Look up what 'soul' means in the Bible. Your breathe is your 'soul.' 'Soul' is used to refer to an individual, the self. In some contexts, a word translated 'soul' refers to a dead animal carcas. The idea that we are made of three parts, one physical, and two invisible-- that we basically have two spirits and one is called a 'soul' that has mind, will, and emotions, and other is a spirit--- I cannot find this concept in scripture. If your body is alive, it has a soul. You are a soul. We do have a spirit, also.

Regarding the resurrection, the book of resurrection says the sea gave up her dead. If sailors throw a dead body into the sea, critters could eat it. A desperate and hungry shark could theoretically bite a hand off of it. God is able to put bodies together. If molecules get bitten off and redistributed, he can take care of that, too. There is a mystery when it comes to resurrection.

Your comments about the resurrection are quite troublesome. I would encourage you to prayerful reconsider and read the scriptures and repent of the current belief you are espousing and promoting.

presidente

May 29, 2013

I thought the body did not raise up, and they received their glorified body in heaven, but those asleep can only be according to the body not the soul, for all souls that die in Jesus are with Him not asleep.

So they do not receive their glorified body in heaven but it is raised up to heaven, for the body is the only thing that can resurrect for as soon as a saint dies their spirit goes to God, and their soul is with Jesus.
Paul calls the dead in Christ 'asleep'. He may be referring to their bodies. There is a 'folk Christian' belief that the disembodied dead spend eternity in their disembodied state in heaven. This is the popular conception of it. In the Bible, Christians are taught to wait for our hope. Our hope is the return of Christ. Our hope is the resurrection from the dead. The pagan Greeks believed that the dead woke up in the underworld, with the good going to the Elysium forever. Somehow that sort of idea about heaven has become popular. I'm not a follower of NT Wrights eschatology, but he made an interesting point about English graveyards. Several hundred years ago, gravestones contained engravings about the dead being raised, but a couple of hundred years ago, that changed to engravings about dying and going to heaven.

I have also been to funerals where there is talk of the deceased going to heaven and seeing him in heaven someday. But in I Thessalonians 4, Paul says that we are not to mourn as those who have no hope. The dead in Christ shall rise first and they which are alive and remain shall be caught up to meet the Lord in the air. He wrote other words about this also, but he says to comfort one another with these words. It is an apostolic command to comfort one another with words of the rapture and resurrection, but many modern church people comfort one another with the unbiblical idea that we wake up and spend eternity up in heaven. The Bible does not teach this.

From what I gather, the churches where I heard these 'die and go to heaven' messages hold to an eschatology that eventually has a resurrection and believers hear on the new earth. If our spirit consciously spends time in heaven in the interum, it is a temporary thing, not our final hope. This idea of going to heaven is just hinted at at best in scripture. Paul writes of departing and being with Christ, for example. But the clear teaching and emphasis is on the resurrection. Jesus spoke about it. Paul spoke about it and it was a major emphasis.

Mar 28, 2016
Yes Lazarus was raised, was that "The Resurrection"? No it wasn't. Was Lazarus still dead in his sin and trespass after Jesus raised his mortal body? Yes he was because the mortal body of Christ hadn't been raised at the point, Christ HAD NOT paid for Lazarus sins at that point.

The hope of the believer is that believers will never die. Believers in Christ are translated to heaven just prior to the death of this body, just like Enoch and every other believer in Christ that has died has experienced. That is the hope of the believer, knowing that we will never SEE DEATH.

CS1 just believe what Paul said in the verses I posted from the beginning and all of this will make sense if you will just believe what is written exactly as it's written. Nothing Paul said there contradicts anything else in the bible. I'm praying that you will do that.
The disciples at first misunderstood the difference between being dead and never rising to new spirit life and dead asleep as was Lazarus for four days. Three days or Jesus in the same way . Not literally dead never to rise .Dead asleep

Mar 28, 2016
And the verses you quote do not support your argument. When you plant a seed, do you squeeze the 'soul' out of the seed, hold that invisible soul in your hand, plant it in your garden or hydroponics bucket, while leaving the physical seed in the seed packet? No. You plant a physical seed. Out of that seed, grows a plant. You cannot go back and retrieve that seed after the plant grows because that physical seed became the plant. The seed is not the 'body that shall be' of the plant, but the plant did grow out of it. It is the same thing, but it is more.

Our resurrected bodies will be something much greater than what they are now, but they will still be our bodies. The body is 'planted' but it comes back as something much greater, not the same thing as before.

Look at the themes in this passage. Read it through. Christ is the firstfruits of the resurrection. We will be resurrected as He was. Was Christ's body raised from the dead? Or did the disciples take Him away while He slept? According to the Gospels, Acts, and the epistles, He rose from the dead. Here in this chapter you quote from, I Corinthians 15, Paul warns that if Christ is not risen, you are still dead in your sins.

And there were various gnostic sects that would spring up that taught that Jesus was a man, and Christ was a spirit that came upon him, and that the spirit came back and spoke with people while the body remained dead and other similar heresies that taught against Christ actually rising from the dead. The Corinthians may have heard some heretical teachings along those lines.

I this chapter, Paul ties our resurrection to Christ's, as he does in various other places in his epistles. If you say our bodies do not rise, what does that say about Christ's resurrection?

And how are you going to plant a soul? Look up what 'soul' means in the Bible. Your breathe is your 'soul.' 'Soul' is used to refer to an individual, the self. In some contexts, a word translated 'soul' refers to a dead animal carcas. The idea that we are made of three parts, one physical, and two invisible-- that we basically have two spirits and one is called a 'soul' that has mind, will, and emotions, and other is a spirit--- I cannot find this concept in scripture. If your body is alive, it has a soul. You are a soul. We do have a spirit, also.

Regarding the resurrection, the book of resurrection says the sea gave up her dead. If sailors throw a dead body into the sea, critters could eat it. A desperate and hungry shark could theoretically bite a hand off of it. God is able to put bodies together. If molecules get bitten off and redistributed, he can take care of that, too. There is a mystery when it comes to resurrection.

Your comments about the resurrection are quite troublesome. I would encourage you to prayerful reconsider and read the scriptures and repent of the current belief you are espousing and promoting.
The flesh profits for zero . No breathing under ground. No oxygen. The breath of life.

When the spirit life of the flesh that is in the blood made from the clay of the field becomes void the spirit, life departs .

The flesh as dust returns the the earth and the temporal spirit given under the letter of the law "death" . will return to the father. Believers who has been given a new spirit that will never did will be raised by that spirit on the last day.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

There is no life of the corrupted flesh once one does take in their last breath and exhale.

The seed is a spiritual seed .The gospel . We can preach and water it but he brings the new born again life .

It cannot be the same dead bodies we live in .They are appointed die once .

On the last day death itself (the letter of the law ) "Thou shall surely die" is cast in the judgment of Christ The law that causing the sufferings of hell we experience in these body of death . Christians having a new born again spirit yoked with Christ makes that sobering lighter.

The letter of the law "death" will not rise up and condemn through corruption (dying) another whole creation.

presidente

May 29, 2013
garee,

Do you believe that Christ's body rose? Do you believe the disciples stole it away, the rumour the Jewish leaders spread?

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
The flesh profits for zero . No breathing under ground. No oxygen. The breath of life.

When the spirit life of the flesh that is in the blood made from the clay of the field becomes void the spirit, life departs .

The flesh as dust returns the the earth and the temporal spirit given under the letter of the law "death" . will return to the father. Believers who has been given a new spirit that will never did will be raised by that spirit on the last day.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

There is no life of the corrupted flesh once one does take in their last breath and exhale.

The seed is a spiritual seed .The gospel . We can preach and water it but he brings the new born again life .

It cannot be the same dead bodies we live in .They are appointed die once .

On the last day death itself (the letter of the law ) "Thou shall surely die" is cast in the judgment of Christ The law that causing the sufferings of hell we experience in these body of death . Christians having a new born again spirit yoked with Christ makes that sobering lighter.

The letter of the law "death" will not rise up and condemn through corruption (dying) another whole creation.
When does/has the event below take place?

John 5:28-29KJV

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Nov 23, 2013

I'm not quite ready to repent yet but I certainly will if need be and maybe you can help. In 1Co 15:42 can you explain what "it" is and what is the corruption that "it" is sown in?

(1Co 15:42) So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
I'm not quite ready to repent yet but I certainly will if need be and maybe you can help. In 1Co 15:42 can you explain what "it" is and what is the corruption that "it" is sown in?

(1Co 15:42) So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
It clearly explains the natural human body and the spiritual eternal glorified body.

Sorta like the spiritual body of the Lord Jesus after the resurrection, or the Angels of Sodom/Lot

Bodies that were tangible, could eat and drink earthly food, but are spiritual.

1 Corinthians 15:44KJV
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Nov 23, 2013
When does/has the event below take place?

John 5:28-29KJV
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
According to Jesus it took place NOW, meaning during Jesus time.
(Joh 5:25) Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

And that literally happened when Jesus went to hell and ministered to the prisoners.

Mar 28, 2016
garee,

Do you believe that Christ's body rose? Do you believe the disciples stole it away, the rumour the Jewish leaders spread?
Yes he woke up

I beleive his earthen corrupted body of death was used for a one demonstration. His body did not die and return to the dust never to rise again (death of a unbeliever.) The father kept it from corrupting totally.

The father prevented Lazarus from reaching final corruption never to rise 4 days. 1 day more than the Son of man .

Three days and nights the father worked with the Son . On the third day he woke up and walked out. Same flesh and blood he had when he entered.

In that way there is no such thing as holiness of the corrupted flesh of mankind . The flesh is rendered as powerless faithless What we do need is holiness of the unseen spirit that works in those given the power to believe.

Romans1: 3-4 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

Not by the birth of the Son of man . But rather by the unseen power working from within same power that works in us. . The law of faith, or power of faith. The golden measure.

Nov 23, 2013
It clearly explains the natural human body and the spiritual eternal glorified body.

Sorta like the spiritual body of the Lord Jesus after the resurrection, or the Angels of Sodom/Lot

Bodies that were tangible, could eat and drink earthly food, but are spiritual.

1 Corinthians 15:44KJV
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
(1Co 15:42) So also is the resurrection of the dead. The natural human body is sown in corruption; the natural human body is raised in incorruption:

I substituted in your definition of "it". So my next question is what is the corruption that the natural body is sown in? Remember this a seed analogy.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
According to Jesus it took place NOW, meaning during Jesus time.
(Joh 5:25) Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

And that literally happened when Jesus went to hell and ministered to the prisoners.
Bend & Twist

John 5:28-29 has absolutely no connection to John 5:25, (None)

Verse 25 is representative of hearing the word and living, verses 28-29 are specifically showing the future resurrection and final judgement.

You deny a future second coming of Jesus Christ in the heavens

You deny a future bodily resurrection of the believer

(Full Preterism) Is Heretical