The Earth is flat? It's a circular flat disk surrounded by a wall of ice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BeyondET

Originally Posted by AVoiceintheWilderness

Let's see:

(Isa. 40:22) He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Yep, circles are still round, last I checked.

How many 'spherical' canopies or tents have you ever seen?

Right.

Now, DOME-shaped canopies and tents? Yes, many. I agree.

No spherical ones, though. Hmm....go figure.r

Yea ok, spherical canopies what on earth you talking about.... The heavens like a canopy are you saying the heavens is flat or what you make no sense what so ever in this comparison at all. Caveman...

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
So are you telling that the shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse IS NOT a sign from God,

step wisely, swing true

I rest my case.
Throwing out something like that tells me that you know deep down that this planet may indeed be another shape.

They were softball questions, brother.
Like l said, l have no idea, but at least l have some grasp of what makes sense.

Speaking of God...

If? A flat earth does show the world, that we are unique and His ultimate creation. A ball lobbed into space , twirling and spinning does scream a Creator too, it just seems a bit messy.

God isn't messy.

Funny, my favorite thing to say is most think the universe revolves around them, and when you tell them that it might,

....they think you're nuts.

Without even investigating it.
Believe man, dont believe them, its up to you.

It is what it is.

BTW, l dont believe its flat. Im confident enough to say, l just don't know.
I can't roll with the ball idea though.

A

AVoiceintheWilderness

no one will answer elementary questions like, why doesn't a plane take the curvature of the earth into consideration....or architecture, railroads, canals, etc.
Thanks for the reminder, Reborn. I had forgotten about reading about this a while back.

There are experts in the railroad industry and those who actually manufacture the iron tracks, themselves, who have admitted that they have never, ever heard of, nor seen, tracks made to the specs of the curvature of the Earth.

They said that it was difficult enough to make tracks bend around long turns on the horizontal plane, making them bend on the vertical plane was absolutely unheard of.

Same for tunnels of all kinds. There are none in the world, anywhere, that are designed/built to accommodate curvature of the Earth to any degree.

THAT is very telling.

B

BeyondET

I rest my case.
Throwing out something like that tells me that you know deep down that this planet may indeed be another shape.

They were softball questions, brother.
Like l said, l have no idea, but at least l have some grasp of what makes sense.

Speaking of God...

If? A flat earth does show the world, that we are unique and His ultimate creation. A ball lobbed into space , twirling and spinning does scream a Creator too, it just seems a bit messy.

God isn't messy.

Funny, my favorite thing to say is most think the universe revolves around them, and when you tell them that it might,

....they think you're nuts.

Without even investigating it.
Believe man, dont believe them, its up to you.

It is what it is.

BTW, l dont believe its flat. Im confident enough to say, l just don't know.
I can't roll with the ball idea though.
Yea I know what you mean it's the great illusion of Pride the universe revolves around man.

I have no doubt the earth is a spherical shape, I believe it's not flat that's for sure :)

B

BeyondET

Thanks for the reminder, Reborn. I had forgotten about reading about this a while back.

There are experts in the railroad industry and those who actually manufacture the iron tracks, themselves, who have admitted that they have never, ever heard of, nor seen, tracks made to the specs of the curvature of the Earth.

They said that it was difficult enough to make tracks bend around long turns on the horizontal plane, making them bend on the vertical plane was absolutely unheard of.

Same for tunnels of all kinds. There are none in the world, anywhere, that are designed/built to accommodate curvature of the Earth to any degree.

THAT is very telling.
Really the earth is extremely bigger than any rail road track manufacturing doesn't have to account for the curvature of the earth we don't live on a beach ball buddy..

ahhh good topic it's was the railroad the invention of trains that man finally realized the earth is a sphere time zones ohappen on a round earth

A

AVoiceintheWilderness

You yobbos! Dr. Henry M. Morris didn't even believe in a Flat Earth! Way to lump a biblically-sound, learned Christian in with your non-biblical nonsense.
Ok,.....................................surely you see the irony in your own comment.

So, Dr. Morris is a BIBLICALLY-SOUND, LEARNED CHRISTIAN?

And what is he telling us?

"When the teachings of men conflict with the Word of God, it would be wise to go with God."

And what is Science, Tintin?

That's right, it's the teachings of men.

And what does the Word of God tell us, Tin?

That's right, it tells us that the Earth is fixed, immovable; that there is a glass-like firmament above the Earth; and within that firmament are contained all the lights of the heavens/sky; that He laid the foundations of the Earth and set the pillars in place to support it, etc.

Look more closely now at the image below the quote you are taking exception to.

All the verses are right there to back up each claim and each aspect of the Flat Earth model.

Here's an even better image:

Do you read your Bible, Tintin?

Don't feel bad, most people who argue with me much more viciously than you never, ever read their Bible.

I'll never understand that. It's like entering into an expert martial arts competition with only a few street fights under your belt.

Please, read your Bible. God wants you to.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BeyondET

This is quite fun like fishing in a barrel full of fish, easy catch....

B

BeyondET

Must be some time travelers from the past in here like say 5000 years ago still believe in a flat earth...

A

AVoiceintheWilderness

Really the earth is extremely bigger than any rail road track manufacturing doesn't have to account for the curvature of the earth we don't live on a beach ball buddy..

ahhh good topic it's was the railroad the invention of trains that man finally realized the earth is a sphere time zones o(only)happen on a round earth

Yes, the Earth is round, but not like you mean.

Here's the round Earth and the way time zones work.

[video=youtube;hiOhsKAR6OY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiOhsKAR6OY[/video]

This is quite fun like fishing in a barrel full of fish, easy catch....
Yes, you're doing a really good job.

B

BeyondET

O brother another man made vid from some internet decepticon, do you know these people who made this vid of coarse not I already knew that answer :p

why thank you brother no worries I always let the little fishes go to live another day :)

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia

How does the moon get its phases in that model?

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia

How do we get seasons with that model?

T

Tintin

Ok,.....................................surely you see the irony in your own comment.

So, Dr. Morris is a BIBLICALLY-SOUND, LEARNED CHRISTIAN?

And what is he telling us?

"When the teachings of men conflict with the Word of God, it would be wise to go with God."

And what is Science, Tintin?

That's right, it's the teachings of men.

And what does the Word of God tell us, Tin?

That's right, it tells us that the Earth is fixed, immovable; that there is a glass-like firmament above the Earth; and within that firmament are contained all the lights of the heavens/sky; that He laid the foundations of the Earth and set the pillars in place to support it, etc.

Look more closely now at the image below the quote you are taking exception to.

All the verses are right there to back up each claim and each aspect of the Flat Earth model.

Here's an even better image:

Do you read your Bible, Tintin?

Don't feel bad, most people who argue with me much more viciously than you never, ever read their Bible.

I'll never understand that. It's like entering into an expert martial arts competition with only a few street fights under your belt.

Please, read your Bible. God wants you to.
I have no problem with Dr. Morris' quote and I'm familiar with his teachings and I agree with most of them. What I do have a problem with is you (or others, whoever created this meme) taking his quote regarding the absolute authority and infallibility of God's Word and then using it to promote a Flat Earth. He didn't believe in a Flat Earth and it's disingenuous for this meme to suggest that he did believe such things. As for your biblical verses diagram, I've already mentioned that the Bible often uses figurative language to express God's truth to His people. The verses provided are largely figurative. And if you use these verses to promote a Flat Earth, you're just siding with non-Christians and theistic evolutionists who use such 'arguments' to mock us.

Yes, I do read my Bible. And unlike you, I've learnt to give up a belief if it doesn't line up with God's Word (I'm not talking salvation-based tenants but the smaller stuff). Pride is an awful thing. It's so important to be teachable. I read my Bible regularly. I found it hilarious/disturbing/ridiculous that you think people may only disagree with you because they don't read the Bible. It couldn't possibly be because we want to exegesis the Bible properly. No, not at all. Here's a book on how to read the Bible properly. It's written by Dr. Jason Lisle of the same creation organisation that Dr. Morris began. It's very good. I learnt much. I hope it helps you too. May you learn to read your Bible with humility.

dr-jason-lisle-understanding-genesis.jpg

B

BeyondET

(Night n day in the flat earth Model) that why it's called a model...

A

AVoiceintheWilderness

I have no problem with Dr. Morris' quote and I'm familiar with his teachings and I agree with most of them. What I do have a problem with is you (or others, whoever created this meme) taking his quote regarding the absolute authority and infallibility of God's Word and then using it to promote a Flat Earth. He didn't believe in a Flat Earth and it's disingenuous for this meme to suggest that he did believe such things.
Every single one of those verses come directly from God's Word, Tintin.

As for your biblical verses diagram, I've already mentioned that the Bible often uses figurative language to express God's truth to His people. The verses provided are largely figurative.
Let me get something straight, here, for ALL who have been led to believe that the Bible is EVER "Figurative" or only being "Symbolic" or anything else along those lines.

The moment that we, as Christians, buy into the concept that the Bible is only literal here, but not there; or only figurative here and just being symbolic there, we open the door WIDE up for throwing the entire Word of God into question.

Then guess what that sets us up perfectly for. THEN, all of a sudden we need 'MAN' to tell us what the Bible says and what it 'REALLY' means and what God is 'REALLY' saying here, "even though it 'SOUNDS' like He's saying this, Oh no, what He REALLY means is this."

This is exactly what it means when it says in Romans 3:4 "Let God be true and every man a liar."

What is Dr. Morris saying right THERE, Tintin? "When the teachings of men conflict with the Word of God, it would be wise to go with God."

We CANNOT trust MAN to teach us what the Bible says! EVER! Just look at all these verses right here!

It is the Holy Spirit who teaches us ALL THINGS, Tintin.

Isa. 54:13 All your children shall be taught BY GOD. (By the Holy Spirit, Not by man, EVER.)
Jer. 31:34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor...........FOR THEY ALL SHALL KNOW ME.(Through the Holy Spirit)
Jn. 6:44-45 (Jesus speaking) No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him........AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT BY GOD. (Not man!)
Jn. 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, HE WILL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS,....
Jn. 16:13
...,when He, the Spirit of Truth, has come, HE WILL GUIDE YOU INTO ALL TRUTH;....
1 Thes. 4:9 .
....you yourselves are TAUGHT BY GOD......
Eph. 4:21 ....if indeed you have heard Him and have BEEN TAUGHT BY HIM, as the truth is in Jesus:...
1 Cor. 2:13 These things we also speak, NOT in words which MAN'S WISDOM teaches but which THE HOLY SPIRIT TEACHES,....
Psalm 32:8-9
I will instruct you and TEACH YOU in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.
Do not be like the horse or like the mule, Which have no understanding,....

There is no room in learning God's Word to trust in the teachings of man, Tintin. We are to study the Bible as often as possible and PRAY TO GOD for His guidance and for the discernment of the Holy Spirit.

Don't you understand that the gate is NARROW for those who will make it to heaven? NARROW.

Matt. 7:22,23 (Jesus speaking) Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, ........... And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me,.....

So what is more commonly accepted among Christians, being taught by big churches and flashy pastors or READING AND STUDYING THE BIBLE BY YOURSELF WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDING YOU AND INSTRUCTING YOU AS TO WHAT IS TRUE?

It simply makes ZERO sense for God to make the Bible 'figurative' in places and literal in others. That would make this verse null and void.

2 Pet. 1:20 ...NO SCRIPTURE IS OF ANY PRIVATE INTERPRETATION

That means that NO part of scripture needs to be taught to you by MAN. It can ALL be understood by reading it alone with God's blessing through sincere prayer.

And if you use these verses to promote a Flat Earth, you're just siding with non-Christians and theistic evolutionists who use such 'arguments' to mock us.
No, no I'm doing nothing of the sort. "Theistic Evolutionists?" Really? No idea how they'd have anything to do with Flat Earth theory.

Yes, I do read my Bible. And unlike you, I've learnt to give up a belief if it doesn't line up with God's Word (I'm not talking salvation-based tenants but the smaller stuff). Pride is an awful thing. It's so important to be teachable. I read my Bible regularly. I found it hilarious/disturbing/ridiculous that you think people may only disagree with you because they don't read the Bible. It couldn't possibly be because we want to exegesis the Bible properly. No, not at all. Here's a book on how to read the Bible properly. It's written by Dr. Jason Lisle of the same creation organisation that Dr. Morris began. It's very good. I learnt much. I hope it helps you too. May you learn to read your Bible with humility.

View attachment 159305
I still don't understand how you're missing that all of this DOES line up with scripture. Hmmm....ok.

Trust me, if any of this hadn't been researched and checked over and over thoroughly with scripture, it wouldn't even interest me. I don't even accept big mainstream mega-churches that are all anything BUT Sola Scriptura. So your accusations are completely without any merit whatsoever.

Thanks for the book recommendation, but I think I covered my opinion on needing others' help, besides the Holy Spirit, to tell me what the Bible "Really means when it says this or that."

B

BeyondET

open the door WIDE up for throwing the entire Word of God into question. you can say that again (avoiceinthewildness)

A

AVoiceintheWilderness

Wow, the sun's tiny.
The sun and moon, both, are believed to be roughly 32 miles in diameter in this world model.

How does the moon get its phases in that model?
Since the Bible tells us that the moon gives off its own light, and does not rely on a reflection from the sun for its illumination, we can only deduce that its cycles of fully lit to darkness are inherent to it in some way.

God says that He created it for the express purpose of "dividing the day from the night;...for signs and seasons, and for days and years;...(Gen.1:14)

And the word 'Month' comes from 'Moon' so its illumination cycles were intended to be utilized for measurements of time.

How do we get seasons with that model?

[video=youtube;R52_PdZlSq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R52_PdZlSq8[/video]

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

this makes sunset impossible.

in this paradigm, the light of the setting sun would not look red-orange against the bottom of clouds and could never appear to dip below the horizon.

this paradigm assumes that light can only travel a finite distance - about 1/4 of the circumference of the earth. so the sun would reach some angular distance from the horizon about 5pm and then just grow dim without appearing to move lower in the sky.
morning would just be the sun moving horizontally in the sky, never appearing over the horizon, without all the brilliant colors everyone sees every morning, but simply growing brighter from a fixed 40* or so above the horizon.

this doesn't adequately explain the phases of the moon, lunar eclipses, solar eclipses, the trans-solar passage of mercury, venus and satellites ((you can get pictures of the ISS going across the sun, and venus going across the sun, etc, and the scale is completely wrong for this paradigm, plus it shouldn't be able to happen in the first place because no coherent theory explains why these bodies should orbit the way they must according to observation)), nor the passage of other planets behind the sun.
and it doesn't explain how venus has phases like the moon.

it doesn't explain how we can detect a solar flare through radio satellites an exact number of minutes before we see it visually with other telescopes looking directly at the sun.

it doesn't explain seasons - summer/winter is not produced by the sun being closer or farther from the planet; in fact that is measurable and the sun is further during summer and closer during winter ((for the northern hemisphere)).

this doesn't explain the yearly movement of the sun in the sky, aphelion and perihelion and solstice and equinox.

this fails to explain the existence and geometry of anti-crepuscular rays.

[HR][/HR][HR][/HR][HR][/HR]

. . . but the geometry and physics of an enormous star being orbited by 9 or so spherical planets ((oblated by their own rotation)), earth being the third one out, explains all these things perfectly.
according to universal and consistent laws of physics, light and electromagnetic radiation that God has formed when He created all the heavens.