The false claim that the Bible is the sole source of authority ...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Rosewater

that He was using hyperbole...
I don't know I see the statement as something in between literal and hyperbole. I think it and he was serious. And when Jesus speaks seriously that is not to be taken lightly.

R

Rosewater

Just realized how that might sound - as if all Jesus' words are not serious - just communicating a particular personal impression.

S

SantoSubito

I agree fully with strangelove, the reason he finds exceptions is because there are exceptions... It's taking Father as a title that is against biblical teachings.

If you talk about the US founding fathers, that's an exception because they gave birth to something, a nation.

If I call my dad father, that's an exception because he actually is my physical father.

If I call a man Father as a title though it goes against God's Word.
Well in a way priests do give birth to something, mainly faith through God working through them. Not to mention we don't have to address them as father, but we call the father as an affectionate name. Kinda like "Pope" is just a modified form of "Papa"

K

kujo313

No reply to number 122.

Aug 12, 2010
Well according to your interpretation of Scripture, apparently not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Are you gonna answer the question or play games?

Sent from my desktop using fingerz.

Aug 12, 2010
And yet i posted several examples of the Scriptures where the Apostles themselves refer to themselves as father figures and other men in the congregations as fathers. So by you logic, some of the Apostles themselves are going againts God's word.

And yet we STILL see no one CALL them Father as a title.

Aug 12, 2010
Again, I fail to see where there's room for any exceptions. Either NO ONE can be called Father, or else we should assume that Our Lord was speaking hyperbolic. Common sense indicates that He was using hyperbole to make a point. Sadly, it seems there's a lack of it here.
You Catholics are pretty much unshakeable eh?

Even when its right in fron t of your face, theres not even a flicker.

Astounding job they done on you.....astounding.

Aug 12, 2010
Well in a way priests do give birth to something, mainly faith through God working through them. Not to mention we don't have to address them as father, but we call the father as an affectionate name. Kinda like "Pope" is just a modified form of "Papa"
Jesus said call no man Father.

dscherck

Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heres
Aug 3, 2009
You Catholics are pretty much unshakeable eh?

Even when its right in fron t of your face, theres not even a flicker.

Astounding job they done on you.....astounding.
Actually, I used to believe almost exactly like you.

dscherck

Aug 3, 2009
Where did you find the truth?
Studying the Scripture, prayer, and reading up what. The early Christians believed.

S

Scotth1960

The False Claim that the Bible is the sole source of authority for Christian life and doctrine

"Sola Scriptura: The Proof-Texts

"Jesus answered and said unto them, "Ye do err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God" (Matt. 22:29 KJV).

"It is evident that the Protestant principle of sola Scriptura entails much more than a mere affirmation of the authority of the Bible. It is, in fact, a complex of interrelated ideas and assumptions. When Protestants read the Scriptures, they bring these assumptions with them, whether they realize it or not.
"For those reared, as I was, in an Evangelical milieu, passages such as 2 Timothy 3:16 and other texts mentioned below "obviously" support the doctrine of sola Scriptura. The "self-evidence" of this support, however, is due not to the text istelf, but to the assumptions that one brings to it. If one takes one's Bible, consisting of exactly 66 books -- no more, no less -- and opens it with the a priori assumption that the text is self-authenticating and self-interpreting and that Christian faith itself is capable of being reduced to verbal formulae, then one will find in the text exactly what one expects to find there.
"The truth of the matter is -- and this is an irksome truth for Evangelicals to confront -- that the doctrine of sola Scriptura is not scriptural. In other words, the claim that the Bible is the sole source of authority for Christian life and doctrine is not found in the Bible. It is analogous to saying, "It is absolutely true that there is no such thing as absolute truth." To understand this, we must carefully examine those texts that are usually offered as proof of the doctrine of sola Scriptura. ...." [pages 120-121: THE WAY: What Every Protestant Should Know About the Orthodox Church. by Clark Carlton. Salisbury, MA: Regina Orthodox Press, 1997.
Regina Orthodox Press Online Store

God bless you. Amen.

In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

Is "SOLA SCRIPTURA" (=only the Scripture) the key to the Truth? by Manolis Kalomiris
http:// www.oodegr.com/english/ag_grafi/genika/sola_scriptura.htm

N

NitzWalsh

The False Claim that the Bible is the sole source of authority for Christian life and doctrine

"Sola Scriptura: The Proof-Texts

"Jesus answered and said unto them, "Ye do err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God" (Matt. 22:29 KJV).

"It is evident that the Protestant principle of sola Scriptura entails much more than a mere affirmation of the authority of the Bible. It is, in fact, a complex of interrelated ideas and assumptions. When Protestants read the Scriptures, they bring these assumptions with them, whether they realize it or not.
"For those reared, as I was, in an Evangelical milieu, passages such as 2 Timothy 3:16 and other texts mentioned below "obviously" support the doctrine of sola Scriptura. The "self-evidence" of this support, however, is due not to the text istelf, but to the assumptions that one brings to it. If one takes one's Bible, consisting of exactly 66 books -- no more, no less -- and opens it with the a priori assumption that the text is self-authenticating and self-interpreting and that Christian faith itself is capable of being reduced to verbal formulae, then one will find in the text exactly what one expects to find there.
"The truth of the matter is -- and this is an irksome truth for Evangelicals to confront -- that the doctrine of sola Scriptura is not scriptural. In other words, the claim that the Bible is the sole source of authority for Christian life and doctrine is not found in the Bible. It is analogous to saying, "It is absolutely true that there is no such thing as absolute truth." To understand this, we must carefully examine those texts that are usually offered as proof of the doctrine of sola Scriptura. ...." [pages 120-121: THE WAY: What Every Protestant Should Know About the Orthodox Church. by Clark Carlton. Salisbury, MA: Regina Orthodox Press, 1997.
Regina Orthodox Press Online Store

God bless you. Amen.

In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

Is "SOLA SCRIPTURA" (=only the Scripture) the key to the Truth? by Manolis Kalomiris
http:// www.oodegr.com/english/ag_grafi/genika/sola_scriptura.htm

I don't think quoting a Catholic apologist and posting dead links is going to make your case at all Scott R. Harrington from Erie PA.

Personally I have no problems with traditions as long as they don't contradict what is written.

dscherck

Aug 3, 2009
I don't think quoting a Catholic apologist and posting dead links is going to make your case at all Scott R. Harrington from Erie PA.

Personally I have no problems with traditions as long as they don't contradict what is written.
Scott isn't Catholic.