THE FEARS OF GROWING OLD

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
So u ever wish u could be a librarian
All the time!!!! I think I would fail at that job because i would be wandering through the rows of books and not happy sitting at a counter checking out books. I L-O-V-E books. When I was little, I used to read everything I could get my hands on, from the back of cereal boxes, leafing through those huge Encyclopedia Brittanica volumes and I would also collect every thing and anything I could read while I sat in a pew waiting for my Dad to finish Stations of the Cross at church. I grew up Catholic and I was so bored sitting in church. No offense anybody!

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I don't think I was trying to escape when I was little. I just liked reading. My Dad would bring me travel books and we would sit together on the couch and go through them. I used to ride my bike to the library since I read every book we had at home. I go into the library at the elementary school I work at and I want to read so many of these new series of books that are out. IDK, i just like books. When my husband built our home, I had him build a perfect library. We loved it. After my girls grew up and he passed away, it was too big of a home by myself. Part of my heart wishes I never sold it. It was such a blessing for our family for many years.

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
All the time!!!! I think I would fail at that job because i would be wandering through the rows of books and not happy sitting at a counter checking out books. I L-O-V-E books. When I was little, I used to read everything I could get my hands on, from the back of cereal boxes, leafing through those huge Encyclopedia Brittanica volumes and I would also collect every thing and anything I could read while I sat in a pew waiting for my Dad to finish Stations of the Cross at church. I grew up Catholic and I was so bored sitting in church. No offense anybody!
I grew up catholic. Hated church. Books were my only education but no one in my high school or college was reading fiction. I think that libraries are an oasis. Im gutted by the conservative government shutting libraries. Britannia encyclopedia's one of the richer church families had them. I remember being told off for touching them during a sleepover

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
I don't think I was trying to escape when I was little. I just liked reading. My Dad would bring me travel books and we would sit together on the couch and go through them. I used to ride my bike to the library since I read every book we had at home. I go into the library at the elementary school I work at and I want to read so many of these new series of books that are out. IDK, i just like books. When my husband built our home, I had him build a perfect library. We loved it. After my girls grew up and he passed away, it was too big of a home by myself. Part of my heart wishes I never sold it. It was such a blessing for our family for many years.
Books are true wealth, sorry about your husband and home. Do u try expressing the loss through art?
Bikes are such a joy, have you tried travelling on bikes?

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I grew up catholic. Hated church. Books were my only education but no one in my high school or college was reading fiction. I think that libraries are an oasis. Im gutted by the conservative government shutting libraries. Britannia encyclopedia's one of the richer church families had them. I remember being told off for touching them during a sleepover
I got in a lot of trouble for asking too many questions. I think I felt the same way about church. I went because I had to go. But I would ask a million questions. Things didn't make sense and things were not fair. Not when I saw so much wealth and my family helped so many other families in our church. We were poor, but didn't go without things we needed. I just didn't understand why why why??? So, when I was in 2nd grade, at church (I attended catholic school) I told God I wanted to know Him. I knew in my heart that He was real, but I just needed to find Him. I read lots of books and asked lots of questions and found out that He really is not a 'mystery' and He does want a personal relationship with me. So back to those encyclopedias, a family gave them to my family and I loved going through every single one. Weird fact: one day one of my 6 brothers was making me crazy and teasing me from across the room. I threw one of the encyclopedias at him, it hit him between the legs and he still gives me a hard time about it!

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
"Eventually, everyone lucky enough to live...

will be a Boomer."
(1946-1964)

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
I don’t care how old I get, I’m not getting my prostate checked.
You may have to rethink that. I'm 70 now but I had a problem a few years ago. It was no fun at all. I'd just finished saying that no one was going to stick a knife in me. Shortly after, I went into hospital with 3.8 litres in my bladder. I could not wait to get a procedure called a TURP. It gave me my life back.

Anyhow, you can have a blood test instead of the other.

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
I got in a lot of trouble for asking too many questions. I think I felt the same way about church. I went because I had to go. But I would ask a million questions. Things didn't make sense and things were not fair. Not when I saw so much wealth and my family helped so many other families in our church. We were poor, but didn't go without things we needed. I just didn't understand why why why??? So, when I was in 2nd grade, at church (I attended catholic school) I told God I wanted to know Him. I knew in my heart that He was real, but I just needed to find Him. I read lots of books and asked lots of questions and found out that He really is not a 'mystery' and He does want a personal relationship with me. So back to those encyclopedias, a family gave them to my family and I loved going through every single one. Weird fact: one day one of my 6 brothers was making me crazy and teasing me from across the room. I threw one of the encyclopedias at him, it hit him between the legs and he still gives me a hard time about it!

Maybe I should have asked to know God when I saw famine in Ethiopia and wondered how the even could be a god. I went the other way I began to rebel and I started to break all the rules.
6 bothers, omg. How did you cope?
I bet that ur a fighter.

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
Your reaction shows that you have a very good heart. I had no siblings so would not be able to understand what it was like. Sometimes the only way a man can understand his by being hit in the head. For most men hitting the brain means hitting between the legs unfortunately. Did your bf ever get into fights with your brothers

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
Getting older...the more one has in common with computers.

You both start out with lots of memory and drive,

then we become outdated, crash unexpectedly,

and eventually have to have our parts replaced! 😉

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
Maybe I should have asked to know God when I saw famine in Ethiopia and wondered how the even could be a god. I went the other way I began to rebel and I started to break all the rules.
I bet that ur a fighter.
Well, you could have asked God that. You know you can ask Him anything. And , not only 6 brothers, but 6 older sisters! I'm not kidding. And oh yeah, I'm tough. Since I was considered the spoiled baby by my sisters, I hung out with my brothers. I went to football games, played 3rd base way too often, climbed and fell out of trees and off of roofs, I was elected designated driver as a teenager for my brothers band and friends and I went to many dives I probably shouldn't have been in at my age. I did go to lots of great concerts and underground events but my brothers kept their eagle eyes on me and threatened every guy that looked at me. But I love all my siblings. They still treat me like a baby and I love every minute of it.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I bet that ur a fighter.
And yes, about being a fighter. I've been boxing for a long, long time and besides being a coach and teaching, I do private security. No fear.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
Your reaction shows that you have a very good heart. I had no siblings so would not be able to understand what it was like. Sometimes the only way a man can understand his by being hit in the head. For most men hitting the brain means hitting between the legs unfortunately. Did your bf ever get into fights with your brothers
Is bf a boyfriend? If so, no. never. When I was in school, all the boys were afraid of my brothers, but then I met my husband and they loved him. So, I always told my husband he married a really good girl! We were happily married for over 30 years and he passed away 7 years ago. But no, he never fought with my brothers.

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
How many can say?...Young at heart...OLD everywhere else? 🤭

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
My body knows how old it is...but my brain refuses to believe it! 🤭

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I grew up Catholic too and quite familiar with the Stations of the Cross. I believe that there were 14 of them. I love to read also and now that I find myself retired I visit the local library at least once a week. I probably got too much time on my hands. Maybe I should get a part-time job somewhere to stay in the game. I've read a few cereal boxes too.