The GIFT of Languages

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
1 Corinthians 12:28 KJV
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then
gifts of healings,
helps,
governments,
diversities of tongues.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
1 Corinthians 12:28 KJV
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
We all know this verse. Is there a point?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As long as there are languages, the gift of tongues will be extant for some. Tongues will cease when God returns a pure language to us all.

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022
I'll bite the bullet on this one!
I confess to being a Cessationist, that is, I believe the sign and revelational gifts ceased with the death of the Apostles.

I have not always held this view.

I spent 20 years in the Pentecostal Movement, 7 of those years as a pastor. I have seen and experienced it all!

I left in disgust around the time of the Toronto Blessing. I just could not reconcile people rolling around the floor laughing and barking like dogs as being a 'move of God'.

From a study of Scripture I came to see that New Testament Tongues were in fact Human Languages ( Acts 2) not what
was on offer in Pentecostal Churches. I had to examine my own experience of speaking in tongues and came to the realisation that it was not the NT gift but rather a psychological imitation.

So for better or worse, I am now a Cessationist.

Peace

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Keep in mind, apostasy had already begun while the Apostles were yet with us. Any assembly which is separated from other assemblies by their own separate doctrines would be part of the great apostasy foretold by our Lord.

Imagine Jesus Yeshua belonging to any named denomination if you are able. I cannot. They are all apostate.

Anyone who believes His return is near should see this plainly, however this does not translate as we should deny the possibility that we are brethren with members of all of these scattered family members.

The Father will call his children out of the Great Harlot, with names all over her of her daughters, that would be the rest of denominations for certain.

Surely Jesus Yeshua is returning soon, and all who anxiously await Him say, Maranatha, come dear Lord, amen.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
...diversities of tongues...
Had the King James translations consistently translated glossais as languages, many modern issues might have been resolved right there. So that should read "diversities of languages". Paul had a lot to say about this spiritual gift, but what is most significant is that he said he would rather speak five INTELLIGIBLE words of prophecy that 10,000 words in tongues (which would then need interpretation). Then he told the Corinthians not to be children in understanding. There is also a counterfeit gift of tongues accessible to pagans, so people need to be clear.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
I confess to being a Cessationist, that is, I believe the sign and revelational gifts ceased with the death of the Apostles.

I spent 20 years in the Pentecostal Movement, 7 of those years as a pastor. I have seen and experienced it all!

I left in disgust around the time of the Toronto Blessing. I just could not reconcile people rolling around the floor laughing and barking like dogs as being a 'move of God'.

From a study of Scripture I came to see that New Testament Tongues were in fact Human Languages ( Acts 2) not what
was on offer in Pentecostal Churches. I had to examine my own experience of speaking in tongues and came to the realisation that it was not the NT gift but rather a psychological imitation.

Peace
Congratulations! ☺️

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
Acts 2:8-11 KJV
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? [9] Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, [10] Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, [11] Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

(God separated at the Tower of Babel and gave different languages to prevent man from fulfilling his imaginations, then He brought together by the preaching of the gospel with the gift of languages (not the deception of false tongues. )

Genesis 11:6-7,9 KJV
And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. [7] Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. [9] Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia

Peace
I was not bound into the false tongues movement by position, marriage, family or children, so by God’s wonderful grace I was able to escape them.
Thank God for His true church that he is building which I never knew existed. I was not even saved yet, didn’t know there was such a thing as being saved. But God was preparing me. What mountains I had to climb. Mountains of trying to find what I am here on this planet for. For what purpose.
Truely denominationalism is a broadway and truely narrow is the way that leads to life.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
As long as there are languages, the gift of tongues will be extant for some. Tongues will cease when God returns a pure language to us all.
To speak plainly, there are some that need to say prayers or worship in their native tongue/language and they are permitted to when someone else in the meeting knows that particular language and can translate for them.
Another testimony is,
One preacher spoke in his own language, the whole congregation were of a different language but God made them to understand every word.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
was on offer in Pentecostal Churches
No there are 2 types of tongues ------in scripture ------

The Disciples at Pentecost spoke in tongues --

-the Language they spoke was earthly language ----so they could Preach the Gospel to the Different nationalities in their different earthly languages --the Bible calls it the Tongues of Man

There is a Heavenly Language that can be given as well ----so there are 2 different types of tongues -----the Bible calls this the Tongues of Angels -------

Notice ----tongues of men -------and Of Angels -------

I have the gift of tongues and it received it after I received Jesus as my Lord and Saviour ----this gift is very powerful and when you speak in tongues your speaking to God not man ----in a church setting you need and interpreter but not when you personally use this gift ------

Speaking in tongues edifies the person ------it builds faith ---so the person stands strong in their Faith ------very powerful gift ------

Strong's Concordance
oikodomeó: to build a house
Usage:; fig. of the building up of character: I build up, edify, encourage.
(figuratively) to edify – literally, "build someone up," helping them to stand (be strong, "sturdy").

This gift is alive and well today as are the other gifts

When

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Though I speak I'm tongues of men and angels.. from Paul..

The surrounding verses are of Paul talking in hyperbole and what ifs.

Exaggeration to make a point.

Paul compares speaking in tongues of men and angels with having faith to move a mountain.

This isn't saying that he could actually move a real mountain with his faith.

He is comparing the gift of love with the temporary nature of the gift of tongues, and the superiority of prophecy over tongues.

To make his point, Paul uses hypothetical examples.

It isn't that he could speak in the tongues of angels.. but that even if he could it would mean nothing compared to the gifts of faith, hope and love.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It isn't that he could speak in the tongues of angels.. but that even if he could it would mean nothing compared to the gifts of faith, hope and love.
It should also be noted that nowhere in Scripture -- whether on earth or in Heaven -- do angels speak in another language (which could be labeled as "the tongues of angels"). Whenever they spoke it was in a human language, and even when Paul was in the third heaven (in Paradise) he heard things which he could understand, but was forbidden to disclose them. So Paul was being hyperbolic to make a point. What we should always keep in mind is that he viewed prophecy as far more beneficial than tongues. He also ranks the spiritual gifts in the order of their importance.

Modern tongues do not even pretend to be other human languages. Therefore they have been converted into a "prayer language". In view of the fact that many genuine Christians are committed to this fallacy, it is better to let them do whatever they do and drop the subject. There is no point squabbling over this. People can choose either Charismatic or non-Charismatic churches by checking what they say about tongues.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022

Peace
Yes Paul is speaking about language. I think a lot of grief could have been spared if the word was translated to "language."

It is not very often we hear the term "native tongue" any more, we just say language.

It is that simple.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
To speak plainly, there are some that need to say prayers or worship in their native tongue/language and they are permitted to when someone else in the meeting knows that particular language and can translate for them.
Another testimony is,
One preacher spoke in his own language, the whole congregation were of a different language but God made them to understand every word.
Praise God! Good examples of how tongues may manifest, very good.