Do you disagree that God makes it possible?Ok, sister we are done. Shalom
Do you disagree that God makes it possible?Ok, sister we are done. Shalom
That doesn't make any sense. Two paths out of two are predestined by God's will but we humans can freely choose contrary to what is already predestined by God.There are two pathways that are predestined meaning one is predestined to end in Life and the other in Death but, the CHOICE is NOT predestined…each of us has free will to choose our path.
Clearly I did not miss it.
The Day of the Lord
…8But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and the helmet of our hope of salvation. 9For God has not appointed us to suffer wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with Him.…
Berean Study Bible
No, I didn't miss that we were not appointed.....I Think you definately missed what she had said and quoted to show where it came from we were past tense children of wrath because we lived just like the children of disobedience live , but now have been converted from that
Or, why do you deny what it says?Then why do you question what it says?
How does a man or woman choose with God, sister?
Before I posted anything substantive on this forum I set down a post in the blogs forum on the 23.12.2021 called Salvation - The Living Meaning in order to form a basis to address those things which I believed would be helpful to both myself and others. You say that some believe that God chooses to save those whom he elects unto adoption, rather than [your inference] chooses universally (by inference your 1 John 2:2 ref) and then the individual man or woman chooses with God so that they are then become beneficiaries of Christ's shed blood according to God's choosing. That argument in your meaning is of course the so-called free will argument. In that link Salvation - The Living Meaning I set down a non denominational presentation and gave a way to reflect on how the gift of eternal life is a matter of the Father electing men and woman unto eternal life and then giving men and women the choice to follow Christ - once they are born again. Not before.
The brother, @p_rehbein to whom you are responding in your now cited post, herein, ought to be able to see that, because he is predicated to the Holiness movement that came out of Wesleyan doctrine and in that system being saved is being born again and being sanctified is obedience leading to a holy life. I do hope that we can all set aside our concerns over the names of men, and start seeing that our best course is to agree on what we are fully persuaded of and accept what in some detail - that cannot remove us from the hand of God if we hold to it - seeing as the detail is the very love of the Father in His Son. (John 3:16).
I can wink at Wesley who can wink at Calvin?
Just to show how things can be predicated if we are mindful of irony - I am writing this post whilst sitting in a Wesleyan Chapel built in 1862 and it is from the west arch window that my profile photo is taken.
View attachment 236997
Wise choice.Ok, sister we are done. Shalom
Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.The problem with Calvinism (as I see it) is the built-in belief that some were created for destruction and therefore salvation is not available to them, yet still they will be punished for failing to make a choice that was never offered to them in the first place.
On the other hand, Scripture says that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world.
I had someone recently try to tell me that "whole world" meant or
applied to only those who will inhabit the future world to come
The amount of twisting of God's Word that has to be done to come to such conclusions is rather astounding.
Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
I do not understand your post .... which is answered to in Romans 11:32 (at the END of the "Romans 9-11" CONTEXT), where it states,
"For God hath concluded them ALL [Jew AND Gentile alike] in unbelief, THAT He might have mercy UPON ALL [Jew AND Gentile]"...
(one must grasp the underlying question being addressed in "Romans 9-11," which I find that many people miss or overlook...)
I do not deny what it says. We were once as they are. I gave two different Scriptures. Try being honest.Or, why do you deny what it says?
If someone believes God is Sovereign they then understand the context in that regard and what it means when some were not appointed by Sovereign God unto wrath.
Appoint(ed=The Old Testament. The basic meaning of "appoint" is either "visit" or "establish or set in authority."
Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
Rom 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
Rom 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Rom 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Rom 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
Rom 9:22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
You're false. And arrogant because you don't accept when you're wrong.I do not deny what it says. We were once as they are. I gave two different Scriptures. Try being honest.
So long as God redeems fallen men some of those men will yet reject the absolute nature of His sovereignty .
I do not understand the point you are trying to make, since you sayDuncan bears witness that to his knowledge approximately 70% of the folks that were saved in the revival never the heard the gospel being preached when they were saved. This is not to remove that in the Hebrides almost every man and woman of the near 100k peoples who lived on the Islands at that time knew of Christ because the Islands we Calvinist and the children would have received a Christian education for generations.
... which is answered to in Romans 11:32 (at the END of the "Romans 9-11" CONTEXT), where it states,
"For God hath concluded them ALL [Jew AND Gentile alike] in unbelief, THAT He might have mercy UPON ALL [Jew AND Gentile]"...
(one must grasp the underlying question being addressed in "Romans 9-11," which I find that many people miss or overlook...)
Do you believe God is Sovereign?I do not understand your post .
Yup. It boils down to pride.John Calvin gets a lot of hate for encapsulating what was in the Bible centuries before he was born. And was taught by other men for about that same period of time.
It's interesting how this relates to the thread that asks why do we fight over scripture when we all believe what the Bible says.
The one main reason I think is exampled in this discussion.
We fight because while we say we believe the Bible is God's words we don't accept they mean what God said about himself. What's really strange about that is when Christians are adamant in that regard being they're suppose to be Christians because God predetermined them to heed his Gospel leading. Just as Jesus said would happen.
That's why it is really strange they'd disagree that's how they came into the faith that even Paul said was a gift from God. And not of our doing but of God's. Ephesians 2.
Yet, we read people boasting they chose. And insisting against God's word at that.
Very odd indeed.
Universalism's faithful insist the whole world was saved by Jesus. That's of course not true. Nor is it true that people choose to come to Christ, as Jesus even told his own Disciples whom he chose. That in itself was a lesson about those who would come to know his truth later. He chose us. We did not choose him. John 15.
I think some like to argue over scripture. Not actually study nor care to know what it means.
Agreed. I think that is an example that boils it down to the proof in the difference between those who first believe in choice.Yup. It boils down to pride.