The Lamb of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
In Rom 8:3 and 2 Cor 5:21 we are told that Jesus is a sin offering. In Leviticus we are told that the sacrifice for sin offerings is goats and bulls. The sacrifice for a guilt offering is a Ram or Lamb. So, why is Jesus called the Lamb of God?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The last Supper was for Passover, Pesach, which is the beginning of the celebration commemorating the Passing over of the angel of death in Egypt during the bondage of Israel.

All who believe God, Yaweh, took anunblemished lamb as a scrifice putting some of its blood on the dorposts and the lintels of the doors to mark the house and save the people from death...the Children of Israel.

Jesus is teh Passover Lamb of God who takes away the sting of sin for all men, that being death.

He is my Sacrificial Lamb,, andhow I regret putting Him through His trials a, anguish, and agony. Yet even from the cross at the height of His agoney He said to the Father just for me, "Father forgiv them for they know not what they do." Oh how I love Jesus because He first loved me...and you too by jingo.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
In Rom 8:3 and 2 Cor 5:21 we are told that Jesus is a sin offering. In Leviticus we are told that the sacrifice for sin offerings is goats and bulls. The sacrifice for a guilt offering is a Ram or Lamb. So, why is Jesus called the Lamb of God?
the obvious correlations are the lamb that Abraham said the Lord would provide, and the paschal lamb whose blood is a sign to the angel of death to pass over.
Thomas Aquinas here brings up the daily sacrifice of the Law in a somewhat tangential discussion:

The Lord said to Moses, “Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: ‘Make sure that you present to Me at the appointed time My food offerings, as an aroma pleasing to Me.’ Say to them: ‘ This is the food offering you are to present to the Lord: two lambs a year old without defect, as a regular burnt offering each day. Offer one lamb in the morning and the other at twilight, together with a grain offering of a tenth of an ephah of the finest flour mixed with a quarter of a hin of oil from pressed olives. This is the regular burnt offering instituted at Mount Sinai as a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the Lord. The accompanying drink offering is to be a quarter of a hin of fermented drink with each lamb. Pour out the drink offering to the Lord at the sanctuary. Offer the second lamb at twilight, along with the same kind of grain offering and drink offering that you offer in the morning. This is a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the Lord."
(Numbers 28:3-8)
though Christ perfects forever by a single sacrifice, it is efficacious daily - it is forever.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Perhaps I have not been clear enough!
We are told that Jesus is a sin offering, not a guilt offering.
By the logic of this, Jesus should be the Bull of God or the Goat of God, although lesser offerings were made if the plaintive was poor i.e. doves, pigeons or even flour. Since Bulls were offered for the sins of Israel, I would assume that Jesus would be identified with the Bull.
For Guilt offerings a ram or lamb was offered, but guilt offerings, as far as I can see, were only offered for transgressions involving restitution, where damage was done or something was stolen. In any event, if Jesus was a guilt offering, he would be the Ram of God not the lamb of God.

Dec 12, 2013
While I understand the concept of your question, we cannot forget that Christ represents and entirely different priesthood and a better way than what was found under the Levitical priesthood.....and like a few have pointed out the sacrifice of Christ for sin is aimed more at the PASSOVER LAMB.....the law, system of sacrifice, bulls and goats etc. was more directed at the conscience of the people and in no way shape or form earned forgiveness, but rather was a covering of sorts and led to a clear conscience before God until that time frame when Christ would come upon the scene....this is a very short summation....there are many things to consider and many scriptures that must be taken into account when pondering the what's when's and why's of the sacrifice of Christ.

I must say that of course we SEE many wonderful pictures, paintings and types found within the offerings found under the Levitical system and in no way, shape or form should we forget these types and pictures.....

L

LPT

Do people today still slaughter animals for Sacrificial offerings?

From what I understand of the OT the guilt offering is to be conducted where the burnt offering is and blood splashed on either side of the alter. hmm I see 3 crosses.

Does any of this really apply anymore?

L

LPT

psalm 69
30 I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.
31 This will please the LORD more than an ox, more than a bull with its horns and hooves.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Perhaps I have not been clear enough!
We are told that Jesus is a sin offering, not a guilt offering.
By the logic of this, Jesus should be the Bull of God or the Goat of God, although lesser offerings were made if the plaintive was poor i.e. doves, pigeons or even flour. Since Bulls were offered for the sins of Israel, I would assume that Jesus would be identified with the Bull.
For Guilt offerings a ram or lamb was offered, but guilt offerings, as far as I can see, were only offered for transgressions involving restitution, where damage was done or something was stolen. In any event, if Jesus was a guilt offering, he would be the Ram of God not the lamb of God.

Here.......this should help you

Why is Jesus called the Lamb of God

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ6ygnQsVbCHgA8oBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybGY3bmpvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1539682984/RO=10/RU=https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/why-is-jesus-called-the-lamb-of-god-a-christian-study//RK=2/RS=UPdPwQLHf0nBuCXIVVg8C8cRQww-

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Jesus would die on the day of Passover as the ultimate Passover Lamb. Hence the Lamb of God. But He encompasses all the sacrifices and offerings within the Old Covenant. So He is both the sin offering, the whole burnt offering, the peace offering, etc.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
John 1:29) The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

35) Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples; 36) And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

not for nothing.;....but I'm gonna go with John the Baptist on thissin' k?

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Jeremiah 7:21 Thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel: Add your burnt offerings to your sacrifices, and eat meat.

Ezekiel 20:40 For in my holy mountain, in the mountain of the height of Israel, says the Lord Yahweh, there shall all the house of Israel, all of them, serve me in the land: there will I accept them, and there will I require your offerings, and the first fruits of your offerings, with all your holy things.

Ezekiel 44:15 But the priests the Levites, the sons of Zadok, who performed the duty of my sanctuary when the children of Israel went astray from me, they shall come near to me to minister to me; and they shall stand before me to offer to me the fat and the blood, says the Lord Yahweh:

------------------------------------------------

In every city of Judah he made high places to burn incense to other gods, and provoked to anger Yahweh, the God of his fathers. 2 Chronicles 28:25

“What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats.(Isaiah 1:11)

Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations—I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly. (Isaiah 1:13)

You shall not do so to Yahweh your God: for every abomination to Yahweh, which he hates, have they done to their gods; for even their sons and their daughters do they burn in the fire to their gods. Deuteronomy 12:31

What do you understand from these scriptures?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
John 1:29) The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

35) Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples; 36) And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

not for nothing.;....but I'm gonna go with John the Baptist on thissin' k?
He asked Why was the Lord called the Lamb of God.

He didn't appear to be arguing that the Lord shouldn't be called that.

DCON, PH and Nehemiah all mentioned the sacrifice of the Passover Lamb which was the cause of Death to 'pass over' and not touch.

John 10:27-28
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
the law, system of sacrifice, bulls and goats etc. was more directed at the conscience of the people and in no way shape or form earned forgiveness, but rather was a covering of sorts
yes the word 'atonement' means literally to cover. but this is not what Christs blood does - He is the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world!
it is much more than the sacrifice of the law. there is a parallel in the forgiveness of David in the Bathsheba affair, where there was no sacrifice in the law for murder or adultery, only the irrevocable penalty of death. but the Lord sent His prophet to tell him his sin was removed!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The penalties in the law are covered in the teaching of our Lord Jesus, Yeshua, when He scolded the hypocrites for overlooking the three main principles of the law, they being faith, justice and mercy. He demonstrated by His actions to death on the cross tht mercy of foremost...In His agony He said about all who are His, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

I believe people did not realize fully what they had done or allowed to be done until the dispensation of the Holy Spirit...….but that is what I believ e.

Feb 28, 2016
ISA. 53:10 Yet it pleased The LORD to bruise him; He has put him to grief: when you shalt make his soul an offering for sin, He shall see His seed, He shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of The LORD shall prosper in His hand.

ISA.,. 53. - clearly a chapter about the 'sacrifice of Christ' - the word 'offering', is Strong's H-817' rendered Asham,
which is rendered over and over in Lev. as a 'trespass offering', - and the offering is an offering of a
'lamb or a Ram' - personally, we prefer LAMB, but He is the Ram of God also, and is fulfilling so many more
'prophetic roles than this...

PS

Jan 11, 2013
ISA. 53:10 Yet it pleased The LORD to bruise him; He has put him to grief: when you shalt make his soul an offering for sin, He shall see His seed, He shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of The LORD shall prosper in His hand.

ISA.,. 53. - clearly a chapter about the 'sacrifice of Christ' - the word 'offering', is Strong's H-817' rendered Asham,
which is rendered over and over in Lev. as a 'trespass offering', - and the offering is an offering of a
'lamb or a Ram' - personally, we prefer LAMB, but He is the Ram of God also, and is fulfilling so many more
'prophetic roles than this...
I'm not sure we should compare Jesus to the ram. The summarized Bible has this to say about Daniels Vision of the ram.
"Out from the kingdoms of the last days a king of fierce countenance, the anti-Christ, will arise, and acting by the power of Satan, will bring transgression to the full. Though he will for a time prosper in his hellish schemes, the sudden brightness of Christ’s coming will utterly destroy him."

Daniels Vision
Dan 8:1-27
(1) "During the third year of King Belshazzar's reign, I, Daniel, saw a vision after the earlier vision that had appeared to me.
(2) As I observed the vision, I looked around the citadel of Susa in Elam Province. While I watched, I found myself beside the Ulai Canal.
(3) "Then I turned my head to look—and behold!—a two-horned ram was standing beside the canal. The two horns grew long, the first one growing longer than the second, with the longer one springing up last.
(4) I watched the ram charging westward, northward, and southward. No animal could stand before him, nor was there anyone who could deliver from his control. He did as he pleased and exalted himself.
(5) "As I watched and wondered, a male goat was coming from the west over the surface of the entire earth without touching the ground. The goat had a distinctive horn between its eyes.
(6) It approached the ram with the two horns that I had observed while standing beside the canal, and charged at him, out of control with rage.
(7) I saw it approach the ram, overflowing with fury at him, and run into him with the full force of its strength. The goat shattered the ram's two horns, and the ram could not oppose it. So the goat threw him to the ground and trampled him. No one could rescue the ram from its control.
(8) Then the goat grew extremely great, but when it was strong, its great horn was shattered. In its place, four distinctive horns grew out in all directions."
(9) "A somewhat insignificant horn emerged from one of them. It moved rapidly against the south, against the east, and against the Glory.
(10) Then it moved against the heavenly army. It persuaded some of the army to fall to the earth, along with some of the stars, and it trampled them.
(11) Then it set itself as great as the Prince of the army, from whom the daily ritual was abolished, in order to bring low his sanctuary.
(12) Because of the transgression, the army will be given over, along with the daily ritual, and the horn will cast truth to the ground, prospering while it continues to act."
(13) "Then I heard one holy person speaking, and another holy person addressed the one who was speaking: 'In the vision about the daily ritual, how much time elapses while the desecration terrifies and both the Holy Place and the army are trampled?'
(14) He told me, 'For 2,300 days. Then what is holy will be restored.'"

Daniel's Vision of the Ram and the Goat
(15) "After I, Daniel, had seen the vision, I tried to understand it. All of a sudden, there was standing in front of me one who appeared to be valiant.
(16) I heard the voice of a man calling out from the Ulai Canal, 'Gabriel, interpret what that fellow has been seeing.'
(17) "As he approached where I was standing, I became terrified and fell on my face. But he told me, 'Son of man, understand that the vision pertains to the time of the end.'
(18) "While he had been speaking with me, I had fainted on my face, but he touched me and enabled me to stand upright on my feet.
(19) Then he said, 'Pay attention! I'm going to brief you about what will happen at the end of the period of wrath, because its end is appointed.
(20) The ram that you saw with a pair of horns are the kings of Media and Persia.
(21) The demonic goat is the king of Greece, and the great horn between its eyes is its first king.
(22) The shattered horn and the four that took its place are four kingdoms that will come from his nation, but they will not have his strength.
(23) Toward the end of their rule, as the desecrations proceed, an insolent king will arise, proficient at deception.
(24) Mighty will be his skills, but not from his own abilities. He'll be remarkably destructive, will succeed, and will do whatever he wants, destroying mighty men and the holy people.
(25) Through his skill he'll cause deceit to prosper under his leadership. He'll promote himself and will destroy many while they are secure. He'll take a stand against the Prince of Princes, yet he'll be crushed without human help.
(26) The vision about the twilights and dawnings that has been related is trustworthy, but keep its vision secret, because it pertains to the distant future.'
(27) Then I, Daniel, was exhausted and ill for days, but afterward I got up and went about the king's business. Nevertheless, I was astonished by the vision, and could not understand it."

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
I'm not sure we should compare Jesus to the ram. The summarized Bible has this to say about Daniels Vision of the ram.
"Out from the kingdoms of the last days a king of fierce countenance, the anti-Christ, will arise, and acting by the power of Satan, will bring transgression to the full. Though he will for a time prosper in his hellish schemes, the sudden brightness of Christ’s coming will utterly destroy him."

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
I have learned from this post that it is best to use the symbols God has provided. Jesus is the lamb of God because this is the association that fits the aspect of christ that is linked with a particular role. In His sacrificial role Christ is a lamb, when he returns he will be a Lion. Christ is, of course, all things. The bull is a brave and noble creature, but the bible does not link Christ with bulls, although since christ was a sin offering, this connection could have been made by the writers of the bible. They didn’t make this connection, so that’s good enough for me.