The Link Soup Thread. Drop them here :)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

i found this article too fascinating to not post - for a couple reasons.

the study discusses the differences between 5th grade "bright girls" and "bright boys" perception and attack when facing challenge.

while i mostly agree with the conclusions found in this article, i think there's even more to it.

i was always one of those girls who, when asked to work a problem on the chalkboard would work more slowly if i saw someone was struggling. it felt mean to completely show them up. i sincerely don't know if its a gender or personality thing. i wouldn't ever deliberately be wrong, but i definitely worried about the others' feelings.

fast forward a few years. in educational circumstances, the guy i'm usually crushing on is the one who (for lack of a better term) is my competition in school. especially if he beats me or i consider him my intellectual/educational superior at least on some level. in fact, there's a well known joke among my friends that when a guy beats me at a game that i'm good at (or some real challenge for me) then i'm usually going to like him a LOT more after that.
but, it got me wondering (given the article) is this whole excitement over "being beaten at my own game" situation just an opportunity for me to bathe in the nostalgia of a different time?

or maybe i'm just too competitive...
I'm exactly the same way. If a girl beats me at something intellectual or athletic, I'm going to swoon pretty hard. Or even if its simply competitive and comes down to the wire.

Unless its like Words with Friends. Then I'm just like meh.

Also... this article highlights why I want to have a Daughter. So that I can influence her to be different. To be Unique in a way that I have rarely seen. Beyond simply knowing something, I want to teach her to always look for the truth, and always find it.
It's wonderful to see girls protected, but not babied;
Challenged, but not pushed; and
Encouraged, but not flattered.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
**double facepalm

just_monicat

Jan 1, 2014
one thing that fascinates me is how intelligence can be used as gasoline to propel some forward, and isolate others. in my career, i've seen those with greater emotional & social intelligence (and perhaps lower i.q.) zoom far beyond those with whom i would identify as high i.q. but lower in social and emotional intellect.

for my fellow grammarians. this made my head hurt a bit, but in the best way possible.

no big surprises here, right?

Although both sexes say they want a sense of humor, in our research women interpreted this as ‘someone who makes me laugh,’ and men wanted ‘someone who laughs at my jokes.

perhaps truer words have never been written. : )

Last edited:

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
My heart beat faster just watching this. It looks incredibly scary but wonderfully amazing.

[video=youtube;ER1PGYe9UZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER1PGYe9UZA[/video]

just_monicat

Jan 1, 2014
My heart beat faster just watching this. It looks incredibly scary but wonderfully amazing.
that's amazing. i really want to go skydiving sometime soon.

i've had tentative plans with friends that always fell through. maybe this summer...

but THAT stuff - that's crazy!

Last edited:

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
The saddest thing I've seen all day... (6 am-ish)

D

didymos

That's not how you do it! But he will learn alright... :rolleyes:

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
Why is this so funny to me.

[video=youtube;AIg4RF2cRBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIg4RF2cRBk[/video]