The problem of being rich

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I don't know if my answer to your questions will make sense or not, depending on your own experience and perspective. Do I believe that the gifts have ceased? No. But there are certain ones that I can simply see no need for in the 21st century, such as tongues. There simply isn't a need for that gift. And I do not say that because I am one of those people who is a Pentecostal basher. I was a member of, and ministered within an Assemblies of God church for a decade. My wife and I did not know it was a Pentecostal church when we started going there. Too long a story to tell here. Charismatics are a Hot Mess. They do things based on emotion and "power" because they think that the only way that God could be working is because they have a Big Show every Sunday. That leads them to accept every single possible thing that could come along, no matter how ridiculous as being "of God." They abuse the system to death, just to make it look as if something is happening. If nothing "powerful" or dramatic is happening, God's is just not working. Pentecostals don't take it that far, but they still have misplaced goals. They want a message in tongues every Sunday simply because, kind of like Charismatics, to know God's really working, but also because they have an intense desire to be doing something for God. This leads to abuses, and an over-concentration on things like tongues. I never spoke in tongues, not one single time. But I was given the interpretation to a message a couple of times, but only gave the interpretation once, the second time, because, to me, saying you are speaking for God is not something that should be taken lightly, like you are going down to the store to buy a Big Gulp. I still worry about whether I actually got the message itself right or not. I have no doubt I had the message, but did I deliver it correctly? The first time it happened, and i didn't give the interpretation, my wife and I were at the Pastor's house that evening for a meeting and he looked at me, out of the blue and said "You had the interpretation of that message this morning. Why didn't you give it?" Now unless he was just fishing as to who actually had the interpretation, something was going on there. I simply doubt that things like that have to have the kind of frequency that Pentecostals require of them. God doesn't need a message in tongues every Sunday. He needs the Gospel preached. People who earnestly believe in the gifts tend to concentrate on them, and only them, and this leads to an imbalance, and not concentrating on other areas of ministry.
I've also had an interpretation message...I chose to not give it, and there was a LOOONG pause after that.

Tongues is a weird one. I see it as being useful IF there were no interpreter in a foreign land. I'm completely on the fence about what goes on in churches today. Based off my whole relationship with the Lord, it seems like the spirit is moving and other times I don't sense anything at all.

I have a mind that the Lord will sometimes "meet people where they are" so to speak which makes up for a lot of foolishness. It's like someone having a Jesus encounter at a bar. "God speaks through alcohol!" Uh, the spirit is not "limited" by alcohol you mean? No. That's how he speaks to me! Ok man.

I understand the "big show" christianity concept. I do think the Lord operates with panache on occasion but rarely. We don't have a birthday party for ourselves every day do we? That kind of idea. He set aside feasts for a reason I feel like.

Anyway, ty for the post :)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I believe money is the root of all evil. When one has financial wealth, the desire for power comes along with it regardless of what their intentions started out to be.
It's fine if you choose to believe that, but I hope you don't think that it's a biblically sound belief.

The Scripture says, "For the LOVE OF money is the root of all KINDS OF evil." (NIV)

Feb 28, 2019
It's fine if you choose to believe that, but I hope you don't think that it's a biblically sound belief.

The Scripture says, "For the LOVE OF money is the root of all KINDS OF evil." (NIV)
Thats what I meant, worded incorrectly hehe :LOL:

oyster67

May 24, 2014

Just to be fair, I offer the KJV also

1 Timothy 6
6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and [into] many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Just to be fair, I offer the KJV also

1 Timothy 6
6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and [into] many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
I'm familiar with this translation. I consider it misleading because money was not an issue in the Garden, so love of money cannot be the root of all evil. :)